Algoma, WISCONSIN
Most Recent Algoma Camping Reviews
Great for Families and a weekend getaway!

I grew up about 10 minutes away from this campground and it is still an awesome place to go when we are looking for a “staycation”!

It’s right by an elementary school so it’s a very safe area, across the road from an AMAZING playground that all ages will love, also about 50ft from a beach! The beach isn’t huge, and is open to the public so at times it gets crowded but is very safe and clean. The beach is on the peshtigo river and is great for kayaking, paddle boarding, boating, jet skiing, and tubing! There is a boat launch less than half a mile towards town on the river that is open to the public! Also includes a skatepark!

There also are two pavilions on parks grounds, both covered. One is smaller on the beach and includes grills and tables, and the other one has a stage on it for performances!

This campground is a mix between RV’s and tenting so you get the best of both worlds! Forget some necessities? No Worries! You’re a 10 minuet drive from Walmart and within walking distance of a cafe and gas stations! There are bathrooms, water hook ups, picnic tables, fire pits, and parking.

(I unfortunately do not have any recent pictures because I lost all of them but google really does a great job of showing what I’m talking about!)

nice location

Drive in, select your site, put payment in envelope simple process to reserve a site at a nice campground! Brilliant sunrises over the lake.

Loved the location- near Menominee MI, took in some time around the town, before relaxing for a day on the nice Lake Michigan beach at the campground.  Water level is currently extremely high, but it was still a nice place :) Great stop for a day or 2 en route to more northern attractions.

One 'negative' that cannot be controlled: bay flies.  Happened to be there when the bay flies were thick! The flies do not seem to bite, just a nuisance.

*if you have a half hour check out the lighthouse in Menominee MI- didnt realize until we walked out to it that you can explore inside as well!

unexpected location

I wish I could report how awesome this campground is, but it just missed the mark :(   It is situated very near to a sewage treatment plant which we drove past upon entering the campground.  It was definitely a noticeable smell, but not overwhelming.  The location was just strange- behind some large stores and near a sewage treatment plant :/  I am a fan of more woodsy settings, so this campground was a bit out of my comfort zone.

It was located near a boat launch/little fishing area which was neat.  You would see some (I think) military ships across the river. And there were a lot of birds to observe.

*I recommend checking out the lighthouse in Menominee!  I had no idea until we walked out to it that you can climb up inside and check out the whole thing :) Super friendly staff to explain it's history as well.

*One more insight- I was unaware of how thick the bugs (bayflies) can be! yikes… next time I will check before hand if they are going to be an issue.  Not a deal breaker, but would have been nice to be prepared.

River Park is the city of Menominee's rv park

River park is located on the river in the city of Menominee, MI. Located next to city boat launch ($3).  It is a mature park with many medium size trees and grass roads are paved as are the sights.  There are a number of good fishing areas within the park and just outside park. The river is on one side of the park with a canal on two sides. If you bring a boat you can beach it in the park. There is also a couple of concrete pads to store your trailer in the park (limited space , 6 I believe).  Relatively close to shopping in Marrinette and Menominee. Overall a very nice park we try to stay there a couple of times a year.  Now the negative.  It is with in the city very close to the main highway / bridge. There is an active train track on the opposite side of one of the canals. One tends to come through nightly.  The park is located right on a main waterway with so there are a lot of water fowl around along with there droppings.

Close to the cycles of nature

We have been camping at this park for decades.  There are 16 sites scattered throughout the large park on Lake Michigan and Europe Lake.  The nature of the sites changes with the changes in the Lake… what once might have had a sandy beach might now be a mucky shoreline with scrubby growth.  Others, higher up are more stable in their feel but also lack some of the immediacy of the water.  Always there is solitude and wonderful hiking for miles.  However even the trails change as storms down swaths of the forest, low lake level of the last decades encouraged tree gowrth where there was once water but the water level is now high again and the trees are in the water and dying.  It might not be beautiful but it is a powerful reminder of the cycles in nature that we are privileged to walk amongst. We have very definite opinions of the sites as they are currently - #'s 7,8,16 are on the water with an experience of the water that has enough rock to allow you to be near the water without being in muck or brush.  3,4,5, used to have beautiful sandy beaches but now are mucky. 10 and 12 have a lot of brush on their pebble beaches, 11 is similar but it is also right on the trail (although not much traffic but…)  9 seems like it would be great being right on Varney Point but the water access is VERY limited.  13 is on the inland side of the trail so not on the water but not far from it either and there the shore is rocky ledges so that's kind of nice.  6 is totally landlocked so that's kind of odd - not a bad site but for a lake focussed park having no access to the lake is odd, 1&2 are also inland but there is lake access via a short trail, and 14 and 15 are on Europe Lake is a small lake experience is what you want.  All have outhouses or pit toilets.  There are no wagons to carry gear so it's on your back or on a bike or you can boat in if you like.   Star gazing is superb and the staff is very helpful.

One of the best in WI!

Beautiful campsites, great golf course and ferry ride away to Washington Isle!

a.maz.ing

This is my favorite state park campground in WI! With the hustle and bustle of Door County this park is a huge contrast with solitude and peace abounding…

Beautiful, quiet sites which are spread out nicely (even the couple that are 'close together' didn't feel crowded at all) The sites are all hike in (ranging from 1 mile to 2.5 miles). Each site has some type of pit toilet-type facility near. Site 2 is set off the water a bit, but still easy to take a 2 minute walk and be right on Lake Michigan.  Firewood is in abundance- lots of down trees to use.

Many hiking trails along the lake and throughout the state park. Nice walks along the water ranging from rocky to a sandy area. Small lake in the park as well!

I cannot wait to go back to this park!

*The sites here are hard to get now!  I recommend reserving VERY early :)

Very quiet mid week in the fall

If you want a more peaceful getaway in Door Co (in the fall) Potawatomi is a good bet.  It's not in the center of the Door Co hubBub - but it's close and a lovely park in it's own right.  The campground is away from the water but trails leave right from the campground to get into the park and near the water…and there is a nice selection of trails to choose from.  Our campsite was one of many surrounding an open area that was nice as it was quite rainy when we were there so less claustrophobic than being buried deep in the woods.  Our campsite was separated nicely from adjacent ones though a little small, especially as we also had a tarp (did I say it was rainy?!?!). So often I think this Park is overlooked because it is south of the main Door Co energy - but it is a park well worth visiting - It's also where the Ice Age Trail starts!!!

Close to wonderful Lake Michigan

while not directly on the Lake - this campground is just across the road so you never feel far from the water.  The sites are relatively secluded with ample room.  We were tent camping the in fall which is a spectacular season to visit as the crowds are less, the colors are gorgeous, and the beaches go on forever.  There are many trails in the forest, including part of the Ice Age Trail - as well as miles of sandy shore.  We were glad to not be right next to the bathrooms as the fan noises were evident and that's not our idea of a peaceful night under the stars. Nearby in Two Rivers, there is an excellent Wood Type Museum, and in Manitowoc - the Maritime Museum - fun area to spend some time in.

Practically perfect in every way!

I can't get over the groves of trees between every campsite. Quiet, private, perfect place for Shinrin-yoku. We come back every year - even when we don't really feel like going to Door County, this campground is our destination! Management is so friendly and helpful.

Special park on the lake

Nicolet Bay Large campground, but easy water access, amenities reduced come mid Sept. but lovely in the fall - water front sites don't have water or electric - Park is great for hiking, and biking and proximity to what Door Co has to offer. -

Great for a first solo backpacking trip!

This is a really nice park and I love that all the campsites were backcountry sites so it was nice and quiet and secluded. I took the slightly longer way to my campsite, but going the shortest route would have been under 2 miles. There are lots of trails in the park, which is mostly flat - I hiked ~15 miles the second day I was there. It was a bit cold in May to hang out on the beach, and I did build a fire each night for warmth. Highly recommend visiting during a new moon if possible - there are SO many stars. There was shore access from my campsite so I could filter water for cooking, etc. There is also potable water at the ranger station as well as flush toilets that are open even when the ranger office is closed.

Beautiful and easy hike in sites

My husband and I stayed at Newport State Park April 12-13th, 2019. We hiked to site 16 but ended up hiking back to site 1 because there was still quite a bit of ice on Lake Michigan by site 16. Both campsites had a fire ring, camp bench seats and bear boxes. The privy by campsite 16 was preferable because it had a half wall instead of being enclosed. Campsite 1 shares its outhouse with campsite 2. The hiking was very easy with minimal elevation change. Lake Michigan was beautiful to look at. Being early spring in Wisconsin it was still slushy and was depositing ice on its shores. A great place for people looking to backpack/hike in. We will be going back.

Peaceful and Clean

What a clean beautiful campground with updated sites and bathrooms.

Disneyland of Wisconsin Camping

If you're looking for bells and whistles, lots of amenities and lots of friendly neighbors in close proximity, this is the place to go! We stayed in south nicolet bay and had a cute little path that gave us direct access to the bay. We did lots of hiking, explored the nature center, swam, enjoyed a show at their outdoor amphitheater, visited the historic lighthouse, and rented bikes with a burley trailer for my two year. They had both adult and kid helmets too. The snack shack by the main swimming area had lots of meal and snack options for when I didn't feel like cooking. The water by our campsite was rocky but the main beach area was sandy and shallow for a ways out. The campsites are close together but the people are so nice and campsites and bathrooms kept clean. There were both flushing bathrooms with showers and smaller more frequent outhouses with pit toilets. We hiked the minnehaha trail from our campsite and did the eagle trail loop which while rated difficult was really manageable for most of the trail and my two year who hikes frequently with hike it baby enjoyed doing many sections of the trail on his own two feet. I did bring my soft structured carrier as well. There area a couple steep inclines, and one area of scrambling over boulders but tons of impressive views and an easy to follow trail. There was some poison ivy by our campsite but plenty of signs to warn campers where to expect it. There was a nice size campfire pit and picnic table at our site as well. The campsites on weekends get booked up months in advance and even on weekdays there are slim pickings for last minute camping adventures in the summer months. It's a very popular Wisconsin destination!

First-come first-served sites available year-round

I was looking for a campground open in March to try to see the aurora (unsuccessful due to lack of auroral activity) and Point Beach fit the bill. Only a couple loops in the campground were open for winter, including sites 1-20 which are non-reservable year-round. These sites are close to the picnic area near the beach and lighthouse. Every site except the one I stayed at were still mostly snow-covered in late March. There was only one other group of campers the night I went, so it was nice, quiet and secluded. I imagine in warmer seasons it's a much more crowded, noisy campground.

Great park in Door County

Peninsula State Park is a huge state park with five campgrounds with over 400 sites (not including group sites) and it can be overwhelming trying to decide where to stay. Our decision was narrowed down somewhat because two of the campgrounds were closed for the season. We camped in South Nicolet along Nicolet Bay for two nights. Our first night was on the water but because heavy rains were forecasted, we relocated to another site closer to the bathrooms for the second night, putting up with the “hum” for a closer dash in the rain. There is so much to do in the park itself and Door County in general. However, we were here during the week in October so while the campground was quiet, bicycle and boat rentals were not available. Many great hiking trails. My only beef is that Wisconsin State parks charge more than many other states and, in general, facilities are not always as well maintained (bathrooms were a little dated and not the cleanest but sufficient for a campground). Still - this is a great place from which to explore Door County!

Wonderful campground with great activities

We spent one night overnight and had a wonderful time - relaxing, good clean water, family friendly, and plenty of activities.

Love Love Love

My family and I have been coming here for years!!!!! The campground is big and beautiful! Every campsite has a picnic table and fire pit; the Yurts and cabins have chairs. The Yurts, cabins, and bathrooms are clean! The staff is friendly! It is pet friendly. It is located near the water and has many trails to hike! Love this place, especially in October with the leaves changing and the festivals around town!!!!!

Ranger Review: RōM Pack at Devil's River Campers Park

Campground Review

Every year it seems there are changes at Devil's River. The campsite are still nice, though if you want privacy, there's not a lot. This is great for camping with friends or family. We usually have 4 sites with family over Labor Day weekend. This year they've added a deck off of the bathroom/shower building. It seems like it was almost done.

One night there was very loud partying at some of the seasonal campers sites. It was a bit obnoxious, but they were mostly quiet by 11pm. There were a lot of seasonal sites with Trump flags and I saw one Confederate flag…so interesting cross section of humanity.

One of the season campers had some giant inflatable climbing/bouncing things for the pond, so that kept the kids and some adults occupied. The same person also projected a movie in the new covered deck. He's a generous man, willing to share with the other campers.

We played cards and lawn games and Slammo and frisbee in all the open space and also swam in the pond. It was a great weekend, as always.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the RōM Pack from RōM Outdoors.

I'll be upfront and honest…this might be the most disappointing product I've tested for The Dyrt. It definitely isn't all bad, but the concept, in my opinion is a failure.

The RōM Pack is a convertible backpack that can unfold into a poncho or a blanket.

As a backpack…

What I like:

• It is stylish
  • The material quality is heavy duty

What I didn't like:

• It is very heavy…when empty
  • The main pocket isn't very large due to the excess material needed for the poncho/blanket

As a poncho…

What I like:

• It is a poncho

What I don't like

• The snaps don't stay snapped
  • It is too short in the front
  • It is too warm….it has a fleece lining
  • The hood is small
  • It looks a bit funny when you where it with the backpack straps and the flaps…I was laughed at by my family

As a blanket…it is great. It is warm, large enough and water resistant.

Overall, the concept doesn't seem practical. If I'm hiking and I expect rain, I'd pack a raincoat or a lightweight poncho to wear over my regular clothes. I'd dress for the weather. I'd never need a fleece lined poncho. I likely wouldn't need a blanket either…and if I did I could roll up a blanket and put it in a regular backpack.

The RōM Pack is also quite expensive at $120. The build quality is very good, but the execution and the concept are where it fails. The best "mode" is blanket mode, but I can recommend any number of cheaper blankets. I wanted to like this, but I'm afraid I can't recommend it.

Gorgeous views spacious sites

Amazing campground!

Potawatomi is a beautiful campground in Door County Wisconsin. Just a few miles south of Sturgeon Bay, right on the shores of Green Bay. The sites are very large and well placed at this campground. Lots of hiking trails and things to do within the park. A must see!!

Point Beach is an amazing campground

Point Beach campground is amazing. It is a well kept campground, very ckean, right on the shores of Lake Michigan. Sites are huge and not on too of each other. There are numerous trails within the park. Beautiful spot!!!

Beautiful and easy

Perfect and easy campground for novice campers

Hiking Adventure

This campsite on the south side of the park is a mile and a half hike in from the nearest parking lot. The trails are nice, sometimes wide enough to walk side by side. Lots of rocks and roots along the paths, so watch those feet and ankles.

The campsite was great (site 10), right on the shores of Lake Michigan, could easily walk to the water for drinking water, or to rinse and wash dishes. The shoreline is mostly rocks and pebbles. This site didn't have a lot of tree coverage for shade, or trees for placing a hammock.

In May there is an abundance of flies that were swirling around. Found out later these are seasonal "may flies" and they are everywhere. Spiders were also a bit of a surprise at this site, and the number webs that would pop up overnight on every trail we hiked.

All that aside, we hiked over 26 miles of trails at this park and everyone was beautiful. However we were slightly disappointed that there weren't more views of the lakes, as most of the trails were set in just far enough off the coast to obstruct all views. All the trails were well kept, marked and easy to follow.

Ranger Review: Mountain House Turkey Dinner Casserole at Point Beach

Campground Review

Growing up in Two Rivers, it is surprising that I never camped at Point Beach. I've only ever been there a few times, and never for camping. Overall, the campsites we were on were on the smaller side, but not too small. There was just enough privacy with the trees. You could hear the lake if you listened, you were very close.

The park is beautiful. The beach is very nice. It isn't a big swimming/volleyball beach like the nearby Neshotah Beach, but there is enough sand and space to find a spot and the swimming is fun. Nice big waves on the Great Lake.

There are some trails along the lake and some other hiking, but we spent most of our time at the beach relaxing.

The firewood for sale was bad, we had a hard time keeping it going. Most of the pit toilets in the park didn't have ventilation for the vault, resulting in very smelling restrooms. The flush toilet building was fine, though, and pretty central.

I'd definitely go back!

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the Mountain House Turkey Dinner Casserole.

I've eat a fair number of Mountain House meals in the last few years and this one is near the top in taste. It tastes just like Thanksgiving. MMMMMMMMMMMM. I'm getting hungry thinking about it. Mountain House meals aren't cheap, but if you can find this one on sale or just need something easy, definitely try this one. So good.

Tons to do in Door County

This Campground in fish creek is in an ideal location. The wild tomato pizzeria is at the entrance to the park and a definite must stop. Went in October and did a door County ghost tour and walked around and looked at shops and had an amazing time At the door county fish boil. This is a must experience for everyone!!

would be a 5 with new bathrooms

Right On the bay of Green Bay that you can boat to with really nice large sites and lots of mature trees. Site of the Wisconsin camping Facebook get together.Ideal sites 30, 29 or 9

Door County Retreat

This Campground have a pool sauna but the lake is about 3 miles away

My favorite place

This Campground is on the Niagara escarpment and the best site is number 21. They have nice black top drives to park on nice large grills water and electric on every site and right on the Bay. The Beatles rocky but very nice sunset views