the dyrt
Algoma, WISCONSIN
Most Recent Algoma Camping Reviews
Great park in Door County

Peninsula State Park is a huge state park with five campgrounds with over 400 sites (not including group sites) and it can be overwhelming trying to decide where to stay. Our decision was narrowed down somewhat because two of the campgrounds were closed for the season. We camped in South Nicolet along Nicolet Bay for two nights. Our first night was on the water but because heavy rains were forecasted, we relocated to another site closer to the bathrooms for the second night, putting up with the “hum” for a closer dash in the rain. There is so much to do in the park itself and Door County in general. However, we were here during the week in October so while the campground was quiet, bicycle and boat rentals were not available. Many great hiking trails. My only beef is that Wisconsin State parks charge more than many other states and, in general, facilities are not always as well maintained (bathrooms were a little dated and not the cleanest but sufficient for a campground). Still - this is a great place from which to explore Door County!

Wonderful campground with great activities

We spent one night overnight and had a wonderful time - relaxing, good clean water, family friendly, and plenty of activities.

Love Love Love

My family and I have been coming here for years!!!!! The campground is big and beautiful! Every campsite has a picnic table and fire pit; the Yurts and cabins have chairs. The Yurts, cabins, and bathrooms are clean! The staff is friendly! It is pet friendly. It is located near the water and has many trails to hike! Love this place, especially in October with the leaves changing and the festivals around town!!!!!

Ranger Review: RōM Pack at Devil's River Campers Park

Campground Review

Every year it seems there are changes at Devil's River. The campsite are still nice, though if you want privacy, there's not a lot. This is great for camping with friends or family. We usually have 4 sites with family over Labor Day weekend. This year they've added a deck off of the bathroom/shower building. It seems like it was almost done.

One night there was very loud partying at some of the seasonal campers sites. It was a bit obnoxious, but they were mostly quiet by 11pm. There were a lot of seasonal sites with Trump flags and I saw one Confederate flag…so interesting cross section of humanity.

One of the season campers had some giant inflatable climbing/bouncing things for the pond, so that kept the kids and some adults occupied. The same person also projected a movie in the new covered deck. He's a generous man, willing to share with the other campers.

We played cards and lawn games and Slammo and frisbee in all the open space and also swam in the pond. It was a great weekend, as always.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the RōM Pack from RōM Outdoors.

I'll be upfront and honest…this might be the most disappointing product I've tested for The Dyrt. It definitely isn't all bad, but the concept, in my opinion is a failure.

The RōM Pack is a convertible backpack that can unfold into a poncho or a blanket.

As a backpack…

What I like:

• It is stylish
  • The material quality is heavy duty

What I didn't like:

• It is very heavy…when empty
  • The main pocket isn't very large due to the excess material needed for the poncho/blanket

As a poncho…

What I like:

• It is a poncho

What I don't like

• The snaps don't stay snapped
  • It is too short in the front
  • It is too warm….it has a fleece lining
  • The hood is small
  • It looks a bit funny when you where it with the backpack straps and the flaps…I was laughed at by my family

As a blanket…it is great. It is warm, large enough and water resistant.

Overall, the concept doesn't seem practical. If I'm hiking and I expect rain, I'd pack a raincoat or a lightweight poncho to wear over my regular clothes. I'd dress for the weather. I'd never need a fleece lined poncho. I likely wouldn't need a blanket either…and if I did I could roll up a blanket and put it in a regular backpack.

The RōM Pack is also quite expensive at $120. The build quality is very good, but the execution and the concept are where it fails. The best "mode" is blanket mode, but I can recommend any number of cheaper blankets. I wanted to like this, but I'm afraid I can't recommend it.

Gorgeous views spacious sites

Amazing campground!

Potawatomi is a beautiful campground in Door County Wisconsin. Just a few miles south of Sturgeon Bay, right on the shores of Green Bay. The sites are very large and well placed at this campground. Lots of hiking trails and things to do within the park. A must see!!

Point Beach is an amazing campground

Point Beach campground is amazing. It is a well kept campground, very ckean, right on the shores of Lake Michigan. Sites are huge and not on too of each other. There are numerous trails within the park. Beautiful spot!!!

Beautiful and easy

Perfect and easy campground for novice campers

Hiking Adventure

This campsite on the south side of the park is a mile and a half hike in from the nearest parking lot. The trails are nice, sometimes wide enough to walk side by side. Lots of rocks and roots along the paths, so watch those feet and ankles.

The campsite was great (site 10), right on the shores of Lake Michigan, could easily walk to the water for drinking water, or to rinse and wash dishes. The shoreline is mostly rocks and pebbles. This site didn't have a lot of tree coverage for shade, or trees for placing a hammock.

In May there is an abundance of flies that were swirling around. Found out later these are seasonal "may flies" and they are everywhere. Spiders were also a bit of a surprise at this site, and the number webs that would pop up overnight on every trail we hiked.

All that aside, we hiked over 26 miles of trails at this park and everyone was beautiful. However we were slightly disappointed that there weren't more views of the lakes, as most of the trails were set in just far enough off the coast to obstruct all views. All the trails were well kept, marked and easy to follow.

Ranger Review: Mountain House Turkey Dinner Casserole at Point Beach

Campground Review

Growing up in Two Rivers, it is surprising that I never camped at Point Beach. I've only ever been there a few times, and never for camping. Overall, the campsites we were on were on the smaller side, but not too small. There was just enough privacy with the trees. You could hear the lake if you listened, you were very close.

The park is beautiful. The beach is very nice. It isn't a big swimming/volleyball beach like the nearby Neshotah Beach, but there is enough sand and space to find a spot and the swimming is fun. Nice big waves on the Great Lake.

There are some trails along the lake and some other hiking, but we spent most of our time at the beach relaxing.

The firewood for sale was bad, we had a hard time keeping it going. Most of the pit toilets in the park didn't have ventilation for the vault, resulting in very smelling restrooms. The flush toilet building was fine, though, and pretty central.

I'd definitely go back!

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the Mountain House Turkey Dinner Casserole.

I've eat a fair number of Mountain House meals in the last few years and this one is near the top in taste. It tastes just like Thanksgiving. MMMMMMMMMMMM. I'm getting hungry thinking about it. Mountain House meals aren't cheap, but if you can find this one on sale or just need something easy, definitely try this one. So good.

Tons to do in Door County

This Campground in fish creek is in an ideal location. The wild tomato pizzeria is at the entrance to the park and a definite must stop. Went in October and did a door County ghost tour and walked around and looked at shops and had an amazing time At the door county fish boil. This is a must experience for everyone!!

would be a 5 with new bathrooms

Right On the bay of Green Bay that you can boat to with really nice large sites and lots of mature trees. Site of the Wisconsin camping Facebook get together.Ideal sites 30, 29 or 9

Door County Retreat

This Campground have a pool sauna but the lake is about 3 miles away

My favorite place

This Campground is on the Niagara escarpment and the best site is number 21. They have nice black top drives to park on nice large grills water and electric on every site and right on the Bay. The Beatles rocky but very nice sunset views

Good for young kids

This Campground has a very party Atmosphere. They have immature trees but has updated the plumbing and have built a new clubhouse. They have a trips to tube down the river the ideal site for us who likes a secluded area Is site number 44.

Good for a Packer PreSeason Game

This It’s a small campground south of Green Bay down the 41 freeway. The campground does not offer a ton of amenities. The campsites are very close together. This would be a good place to stay for a Packer preseason game or if you were going to be away from the campsite. We stayed at this one a few years ago so I do not have pictures but have it recorded In my camping diary.

wholesome family fun.

this campground is geared for family fun. several playgrounds are dotted throughout the campground and kids can be seen pedaling bikes around throughout the day. This is the first site I've been to with my teardrop camper and I plan on going back in the future.

childhood favorite

this was one of my favorite places growing up. beautiful river access.

Great location on Lake Michigan

We booked this campsite strictly on location and DNR review. We drove from south central Indiana, approximately 6.5 hours, hauling a pop-up camper. Arrived and we were greeted by park ranger. Got paperwork, asked about fishing, but the ranger was unable to answer any questions. She said go in town to Two Rivers. Got to our campsite and set up. Perfect location, secluded, but still close to the facilities. We quickly learned there is a mosquito problem and found the source. A nasty algie filled creek behind our campsite. Thankfully we had a mosquito net to keep us somewhat protected.

There are many different activities to do on site, hiking, bike riding, beach going, and relaxing. There was a storm while there. There was little to no cell service and we did not have an emergency radio.

If if I could provide a recommendation or two…mosquito control and WiFi throughout for emergencies.

Nicolet Bay campsites are EVERYTHING

The campground in general is pretty fantastic. However, there is a loop of campgrounds in Nicolet Bay that, if you are lucky enough to reserve them, better than any campsite in the state. The trails and beach offer something for everyone. We’ve camped here before kids and with kids, and were never bored.

Gorgeous hiking, lots of activities

This campground is the best of all worlds. Perfect opportunities to hike , Bike, kayak and much more! Located right outside fish creek, easy to hop into town to enjoy shops and local cherry orchards!

Great hiking trails

Peninsula State Park is a 3,776-acre park in Door County. The trails are extensive and fun for hiking, running, and biking. The camping areas are nice with plenty to do around the park. There's even a golf course and harbor! My favorite place is the historic lighthouse that sits on the bluff. If you enjoy hiking and trail running which is what I was there for this is a must go!

quiet, clean and a pleasure to be camping here.

ice, wood, and snacks on site. small playground for kids to enjoy. minutes away from all the Door County State, and city parks.

A great state park.

Entry to the Great Lakes!

Potawatomi State Park in Wisconsin sits in the northeast corner of the state in Door County Wisconsin. This is one of five state parks in the area and if you're making your way into Door County it is the first Park in Door County up Highway 42. This area of the state is the gem of Wisconsin and not just for tourist reasons. The topography in this part of the state is phenomenal. Potawatomi State Park is just before the city of Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin. This is a major port from the Bay of Green Bay into Lake Michigan. In Sturgeon Bay there are many shops, restaurants, pubs, art studios, and even a Walmart and Target if neede. The views from the shipyards can leave you in awe if this isn't a familiar sight. Potawatomi state park is the start of the Ice Age Trail which covers 1, 200 plus miles in the state. it offers modern facilities with showers and flush toilets. The showers are in the same room as the bathroom stalls. The park offers excellent hiking trails with views of ships coming and going from Lake Michigan in to Sturgeon Bay. The park offers an observation tower, once reach to the top you will have spectacular views of the Bay of Green Bay as well as the rest of Door County Wisconsin. The campgrounds are split into two sections. The Southern campground is a bit more wooded compared to the North campground, but I prefer the Northth sites as it offered more of a variety of campsites, meaning they don't all look the same. There is a camp store at the park as well as a small playground for the little ones. There are plenty of picnic areas especially on the shore but there is no beach at the park. There is a boat landing and fishing and this can be a popular spot for boaters to launch your boat.

This is a great park to start your vacation in Door County even if it's just to take in the sights. It is an even better place to stay if you want to be close to amenities but away from the tourists in the area. Amenities are not far, plan on a 5-10 min drive. This is my park of preference for camping in this area!

Crowded, loud and stinky

This is more of an RV park. It has lots of activities for kids etc but when we were there the place stunk. The pond for “fishing” had an odd algae/dead fish smell and the campsite smelled like sewer mixed with manure.

The sites are right on top of each other and you could hear a mouse fart in the other sites.

Relaxation not too far from the City

The tent sites are a great size and semi private (you can have a conversation and not be heard at other sites). The bathroom and showers are decent and cleaned daily around 6 am. There are reservable and walk-in sites. The sites also have extra parking across from them.

There is a lot to do for kids a great play area, swimming, fishing, boating etc. There are hiking trails but not a lot.

The couple I went with had issues with the site next to them ( loud inappropriate language and using drugs) the rangers responded quickly and efficiently!

I have been there summer and late spring.

Weekend vibes

Great for car camping and a weekend away. lots of cool family hiking and beach with snack shack. *poison ivy is present.

camping

loved the small towns charm. great sunrise view at Lake Michigan. clean cummnity, friendly people. dog friend on lesch.

Amazing!

Beautiful park with an awesome beach! They serve food and rent out kayaks and paddle boards! The sites are nice sites. You have to walk a ways to the beach but totally worth it. The bike trails are awesome