The best camping in
Oregon

Camping Oregon

With a strong reputation for adventures in nature, Oregon sits high on many hikers’ and campers’ outdoor bucket lists. And with over 50 percent of state land declared public, camping in Oregon is literally everywhere. To help you get started, here’s some of the best spots to pitch a tent and catch a view!

While the Cascades mountain range used to be a major obstacle for settlers riding the Oregon trail, it has now become an outdoor adventurer’s playground. Mt. Hood, the fourth highest peak in the Cascades and just two hours outside of Portland, is home the most popular park for campers looking for a taste of Oregon’s natural diversity. Aside from the snowy mountain top, the old-growth forests and flowing water features make this a prime location for camping in Oregon.

Lake lovers might appreciate the serene views of the Wy’east at campsites around Trillium Lake. Waking up to the fog that drifts on the lake and Mt. Hood standing tall behind it is a picture-perfect moment every camper dreams of. Rent yourself a boat, canoe or kayak and spend the day gliding around the 63-acre lake or angling for local trout.

If you’d like to ditch some of the crowds around Mt. Hood while also getting a hike in, make your way through a canopy of old-growth forest on the Old Salmon River Trail. The backwoods sites along the trail offer a natural escape to some of the best camping in Oregon.

If you’re looking for a more active natural beauty, venture about three hours south from Mt. Hood to Silver Falls State Park outside of Salem. People call it the “crown jewel” of the Oregon State Parks system, and once you visit, you know why. The scenic waterfall hike offers a 360-degree view of a 178-foot cascade (where else can you hike behind a waterfall?) With sites a hike away from the falls, anyone looking for camping in Oregon can’t miss this spot. Throughout your exploration around Oregon, you can find all the best campsites with The Dyrt.

Recent Reviews in Oregon
Nice little campground

Came in about 5pm in late October and had about a dozen open sites. The campsites are large with lots of space for each site but no real privacy though. Pit toilets are clean and there are a few places to get water but other than that there are no hookups. Only marked it down a star because the road in is very washboarded. 5 bars LTE on Verizon.

Huge state park

One of the largest campgrounds I’ve ever stayed at. Great spot tho private spots nice bathrooms all the different beaches are great to explore and there’s even the lake to chill in.

Awesome state park

Love this camp ground just the perfect little spot to have a base camp and explore the Oregon coast! Spots are nice pretty private as far as distance but there could be more trees between. It’s the beach!

Difficult to find

There are 2 Campground’s in the same area with similar names the one we stayed at didn’t have a pier and the other one did. Since we stayed here in October we really didn’t need a reservation but we didn’t know that prior. It would of been easier just to show up because the one we stayed at was hard to find. Anyway we were practically the only ones there. The reservoir is contaminated. There is duck hunting allowed here which is weird being such a small place. There’s really no place to hike and that’s what we like to do but it’s close to Smith Rock which is Amazing and I recommend you go there but stay away from the edge because it’s dangerous. Smith Rock is a State Park with Spectacular beauty in a canyon like setting.

Super quiet area

We glamped here in our 32 foot c class motor home on October 13. Super quite as it is deep in the National Forest. Dry camping only. There is a dump close to the park entrance for $10.00 but no potable fill or Sani flush water was working when we were there. Fun hikes all around.

It's tight, but nice

I got there late so it was a tight squeeze. I took the first campsite I saw and never saw another free one while paying. It was not "quiet" but with a full campground I didmt expect it. There is a chance I only found a spot because the spot is smelled strongly of skunk. Regardless, I slept under a redwood and could hear the ocean so it checked my boxes. Also they had great warm showers, water access every couple of sites and toilets.

Beautiful sunrise

I was super desperate when I pulled into this campground at 10 pm. 15 felt like a steep price for what it was, primitive camping with vault toilets, but the sunrise was pretty spectacular, and there is pretty convenient lake access, for those who need that. As I showed up so late, I car camped so can't say anything about the tent spots, but there are big RV spots.

A treat after dispersed camping

Though not free like the dispersed camping the dog and I were doing the days before this, it was a treat to have warm showers, bathrooms, a fenced dog exercise area, the security of other campers, and a picnic table to cook on. I stayed in a more "isolated" campsite with a tree screen from the other sites, because my dog is very protective. But it looked like there were great view sites further in the campgrounds, for those who don't need the privacy. There was easy river access from the camp and you can hear the coyotes yipping in the morning.

I grew up caming here.

Since i was real young my family would always go here and we have a camp spot that we called the hilton. I will always go there for the rest of my life. I 100% recommend.

Fall relaxing weekend

Clean, well maintained, cooking supplies provided, heated house with fridge. Outhouse was clean. Recommended bring you own light, the lanterns did not provide a lot of light and your own blanket for the beds.

We had a blast! So green and beautiful. Not far from downtown. Lots of space/areas for our kids to run to climb big rocks. We will 100% be back.

Nice area and plenty of activities

It's a nice area, but has been overrun with homeless people and garbage.

Small Campground on the Crooked River

This small campground is one of many along the Crooked Wild and Scenic River.  It has only 7 spots, 1 being a group site.  The campground sits between the Crooked River and The highway.  Luckily the highway is not a busy one and traffic didn't cause too much noise at night.  The spots were large and could fit multiple tents or some RV's depending on size.  Some of the spots were next to the River while a couple were nearby the river and more next to the highway.  There were several river access spots for people looking to fish.  I did stay here during hunting season, so a lot of the people camping looked like hunters and were firing off guns very early in the morning.

There was 1 pit toilet and trash bins, but no potable water.

I would recommend this campground if you find yourself in this area.  Does seem like it could fill up in the summer.

Choose this park!

This was a beautiful, quiet cove with a view of the water and mountains. The people who run it are very nice also. The price is reasonable. I would highly recommended this park.

Thousand Trails Pacific City is Great Place To Stay

Thousand Trails Pacific City This was a very nice Thousand Trails. We stay three nights from September 27th through September 30th, 2019, in campsite D15, the stay was free due to our Thousand Trails membership. Our site had electricity and water hook up. The site was level and backed up to McPhillips Drive, we could hear vehicles passing during the day, however, the night was not an issue. The site was quiet and very private. The tall trees and bushes separated us from our camping neighbors.

The campground is at an elevation of 75 ft. and our 28 ft travel trailer easily fits with room to spare in our site. Once we entering the campground, the campground roads are all asphalt as we selected our campsite. The weather was high overcast in the low 60's, the nights low 40s. It did rain hard on Friday and Saturday night, also rained Sunday afternoon. This is a very quiet campground, activities we found at the campground to keep busy were Billiards, a very nice indoor pool, and a warm outdoor spa. The campground has clean free showers, plenty of hot water and not more than a 5 minute walk from our campsite.

Since we arrived on a Friday school day, the campground as not full, there was no waiting for showers. My wife and I enjoyed the campground, we hiked at Cape Lookout and Cape Kiwanda. Had a great time, we will be back to stay at this Thousand Trails.

Stunning!

So when I first found this campground I wasn't sure what to expect being as reviews and info were sparse so I'll do me best to sum it up. Things to know that arent stated. It is free may require NW forest pass. It's a drive, hike, bike and walk in. I didn't see any spots big enough for RV but there is space to park that isn't officially a site.

Location: Beautiful sits about 5,000 feet right off McKenzie Pass Road (closed from November to June)

Sites: I saw 6 drive in with fire ring, picnic table also 2 vault toilets…. There's more walk/ hike in but we had to much gear to do that.

Directions: Very easy to find spots all along lake and Google maps took us right to spots.

Activities: Great! Had a kayak/boat launch also had the Scott Mountain TH right there within 1/4 walking distance on dirt road. It seems that a forest fire was pretty recent ontop but the grounds seemed kind of untouched

Warnings: This was my first time up this pass. Elevation is very high which means incremental weather. Aka woke up in October with snow which happened to us.

Overall 5 stars must visit. We will be coming back next year when less snow and road reopens

Close to beach

Large campground with lots of people but still feels like you’re camping. Great beach access.

Everything you need in walking distance and the most beautiful views of the Oregon coast right across the street. Sites are pretty close but since you won’t spend too much time there it’s not an issue.

Great Campground

I stayed in a yurt in this campground and had a great time. Beautiful scenery coupled with a short distance to the ocean make this a great spot. There is easy access to the bathroom and the layout of the paths and the road make this site very easy to navigate and enjoy.

Bare Bones yet beautiful

I stayed at the teepee next to the John Day River. There are two total and they are a little isolated from the campground. They provide a large camping area and fireplace with a beautiful view of the mountains behind the camp. The front view, however, leaves a bit to be desired. There is a highway in front of the campground and a big parking lot with rv water hookups, so vehicles are constantly coming in and out. There is also a restroom, which is a considerable walk from the teepee, and makes it feel more like a reststop than a campground.

The rest of the campsites are in a wooded loop and seem much nicer than the teepee area. The teepee inside is very bare bones compared to the luxury of yurts offered at other camp grounds. The floor is a concrete slab. There are six green acrylic mats and a small stool and very small space heater. There are holes in the bottom parts of the teepee and a giant gap in the ceiling. All of these elements would be nice in the summer. Trying to sleep in here when its 27 degrees is another story. Next time i will stay in a tent. The campground provides a free bundle or firewood.

Wonderful Southern Oregon Coast

I had no idea the Southern Oregon coast could offer so much . But way up here on the Sixes river it feels very remote.

The campground is dry , no water..but the sites are very well laid out with plenty space.

Had a few restful nights up here with the river and the stars as company.

Recommended place for solos or couples. Kids might get bored. But great for peace and quiet

Nice riverside sites

Nice easy going campground under big Doug Firs and right on the river.

Its hard to get a site right on the river  but if you do its amazing.

Its pretty peacful after 9 PM..not much road noise from 46..liked it here during the week kits a good place for a solo camper. Weekends great for families.

No cell

Seems Remote

I have found this campground fills up less than tbe others in the area..so if your up here in high summer i would check here first.

It seems more remote than it really is so its nice and quiet..with a creek nearby.

Has a couple excellent sites and a bunch of mediocre ones that would do well for camper trucks

Nice Camp Sites at the very back

Camped here a few times over the years..most of the sites are very open with no privacy but if you go right to the back on the right there are a couple of sites off the road and the back is the mountain..36 is a good one.

But its a wonderful place to stay anyway.

A few years back me and the wife did the trek up to the viewing place..its a really rough climb so be fit..but the scene provided was breathtaking..wonderful

Nice and always available

We have camped at Alder Dunes a few times, its seems to be one of those places that always has at least a couple spots available even  at hiliday weekends

First time i camped here i had just moved to Oregon and against the advice of my wife ( a native Oregonian) decided to take off Friday on a Labor Day weekend to camp at the coast..as you can well imagine it was a disaster..by 6 PM we pulled into Alder Dune ( had been on the go since 10 am)..and lo and behold they had a spot.

Wonderful.next to the highway but the dense vegetation dulls the roar.

Some nice trails, grounds well kept..the sites themselves are very varied you can get a huge comfortable site the same price as a squeezed in horrible one.

Mostly good

Wonderful Beach

Camped here in May and managed to get one of the 2 Yurts available.

This is RIGHT ON 101  its a mere sliver of forest between 101 and the beach.

The yurt was amazing and at least kept the road noise to a miniumum.

The reason to come here is the magnificent almost empty beach..its breath taking great.

We strolled around the campground and it seemed to me they got it all wrong, they had the RV sites nearest the beach and furthest from 101..while the poor tenters were right up against the highway.

As a tenter there is no way i would stay here it would be unbearable without ear plugs, they should have the big RVs next to the road as tbhey dont hear a thing inside and the tents next to the beach.

But still a well maintained fanily campground with a beautiful empty beach

We stopped here for a night with our RV and it was really kid friendly with a small park. I loved how easy it was to check in and navigate. It’s a little crowded. We made our reservations 2 weeks in advance.

RV-camping

Loved this State Park! The trails around it were fun and led from the camp right up to the beach by the old ship wreck. My kids ages 2-14 always had something to do and we brought our bikes. The camping sites and RV sites are cheap compared to Utah, Washington and Idaho rates, but they were also very nice! A little close together but nice. You have to book your site months in advance at this place because it fills up fast. So much to do in this area! Close to seaside, the fort Stevens retired military site was free and interesting-with a scavenger hunt and prize at the end for the kids who complete it. Also, close to Astoria which also has many things to do! Loved that it was close enough to drive over the Columbia River to get to Washington to see the light houses!

Campground info

174 full-hookup sites (36 pull-through) 302 electrical sites with water (11 pull-through) Six tent sites with water nearby 15 yurts (7 pet-friendly) 11 deluxe cabins (5 pet-friendly) Hiker/biker camp Flush toilets and hot showers RV dump station Adult and Youth Bike Rentals 9-hole Columbia Shore Disc Golf Course

Nice

Nice campground close to the surrounding wineries.

Best beach camping!

I love this place for the tent camping on the beach. The sites off the beach are great but I couldn’t stay here and not stay on the beach.