THE BEST CAMPING IN
Oregon
Camping Oregon

With a strong reputation for adventures in nature, Oregon sits high on many hikers’ and campers’ outdoor bucket lists. And with over 50 percent of state land declared public, camping in Oregon is literally everywhere. To help you get started, here’s some of the best spots to pitch a tent and catch a view!

While the Cascades mountain range used to be a major obstacle for settlers riding the Oregon trail, it has now become an outdoor adventurer’s playground. Mt. Hood, the fourth highest peak in the Cascades and just two hours outside of Portland, is home the most popular park for campers looking for a taste of Oregon’s natural diversity. Aside from the snowy mountain top, the old-growth forests and flowing water features make this a prime location for camping in Oregon.

Lake lovers might appreciate the serene views of the Wy’east at campsites around Trillium Lake. Waking up to the fog that drifts on the lake and Mt. Hood standing tall behind it is a picture-perfect moment every camper dreams of. Rent yourself a boat, canoe or kayak and spend the day gliding around the 63-acre lake or angling for local trout.

If you’d like to ditch some of the crowds around Mt. Hood while also getting a hike in, make your way through a canopy of old-growth forest on the Old Salmon River Trail. The backwoods sites along the trail offer a natural escape to some of the best camping in Oregon.

If you’re looking for a more active natural beauty, venture about three hours south from Mt. Hood to Silver Falls State Park outside of Salem. People call it the “crown jewel” of the Oregon State Parks system, and once you visit, you know why. The scenic waterfall hike offers a 360-degree view of a 178-foot cascade (where else can you hike behind a waterfall?) With sites a hike away from the falls, anyone looking for camping in Oregon can’t miss this spot. Throughout your exploration around Oregon, you can find all the best campsites with The Dyrt.

Recent Reviews in Oregon
Beautiful but expensive for questionable amenities

It’s $25 a night with a $8 fee for reserving online. It’s a smallish campsite walking distance to the lake

Pros: Beautiful area Weather wasn’t too hot, plenty of shade Beautiful lake Resort next door that has a small restaurant and kayak rentals Has flush toilets Great hiking trails

Cons: Bathrooms are old, infested with spiders, grime covered. Toilet and sink was cleanish tho. The only clean bathroom was in the Day Use area. Was night and day difference. Bugs. Lots of bugs. Right by a busy road. You’ll hear traffic constantly throughout the day.

Resort next door has some janky showers and sort of friendly staff. We ate there the before leaving, chicken sandwich and fish and chips. Chicken sandwich 👌🏻 fish and chips were saturated with oil. They were heavy and wet. I tried to just eat the fish to avoid all the oil, but even the fish was oily. Even after pressing and bathing the fillet in many many napkins. My stomach regrets to inform you I still tried to eat it (and didn’t tell the server, she looked like she was having a rough day). Starting feeling sick about an hour later. 🤦🏻‍♀️ just watch what you order I guess.

Great Place!

We stayed at spot #20 and it was great! Campground is clean, has showers, restrooms, dish sink cleaning, cell service, and is table/fire pit. No mosquitos! Definitely coming back in future!

Free camping

It’s free camping so who can complain! Pull off from the main road onto a dirt single lane road. Many “campsites” along the road. No amenities. Quiet place.

Quiet Campground

The hosts are amazing!! Quiet campground and you get to listen to the river flowing all the time!! Great swimming holes!!

Spacious and quiet

This is a quiet place even with plenty of visitors coming in to look at the lake and do a day trip. Bathrooms were something to be desired for. No host on site she was overseeing I believe 3 sites total but was very pleasant and helpful. Clean sites and area in general. No hook ups and vault toilets no recommended for Rvs or trailers over 17ft .

Lovely

I personally really enjoyed this campground. Still thinking about the natural beauty and quiet/peacefulness. Loved that it is within striking distance of Portland. Spots are a great size, plenty of distance between your neighbors and yourself. My only complaint is that it would have been nice to have shade structures at EVERY site, not just most of them. No worries, I’ll bring my pop up next time. I will be back.

Wow!

Big! In the pines! Big meadow spread out nice campground

Gorgeous river small damn fishing kayaking boat dock! Park / playground d for kids safe secure peaceful! Showers are amazing and clean always! The host are return host there awesome! Living the life!

Beautiful peaceful! But the bugs!

Great free campground to enjoy the beautiful calm branch of the upper Klamath lake! More like a river!

Small & Noisy Sites, but easy to get to and book!

This is very close to I-84 and to a very active railroad, so it's pretty noise.  The sites are small (we were cramped with 1 large tent and a small trailer).  BUT, it's less than an hour prom Portland, and when other sites are booked, this one still had a few options.  The camp hosts were very kind and helpful

Beautiful, quiet, friendly

When we first moved to Oregon, my family and I wanted to get out of a hotel while we searched the area for housing! The staff here was friendly, and easy to work with. They have clean bathroom facilities with nice hot showers! The camp sites are a bit close, but the location is surprisingly not frequented often from what I’ve noticed. There is a boat launch, and other areas where you can simply fish off the banks. Short trails are here as well! If you’re looking for longer trails there are plenty all around that you could do a short drive to or walk along the highway (don’t worry, the camp itself is not directly on the road!). The small town of keno is not far from camp either, so if you are in need of more ice or propane, they have small town “stores” to get your essentials from! Or, if you are in need to restock larger items, Klamath Falls is only 25 mins away. There’s lots of wildlife here as well! Deer, fish, birds, rabbits, the occasional mountain lion as well. Have fun, be safe!!

Eating me Alive!

This camp ground is clean, has showers/bathrooms and lots of space. Access to the lake is super close too! The only bad thing about this whole area is the mosquitos that are everywhere at dusk and dawn. Bring repellent as at one point my wife counted 22 mosquitos on my back! I know insects can’t be prevented but this is only reason why this doesn’t get five stars. We stayed at B3 tent area :)

Beautiful car camping spot

Wonderful spot for car or RV camping, feels safe and it has clean toilets. No water though so make sure you have your own.

Perfect spot for swimming and kayaking

Great location right on the lake. Easy trail goes around the lake to the Lake of the Woods resort and day use area where you can get food or rent boats/kayaks. Gorgeous sunset. Nice ranger on site. Bathrooms were surprisingly clean for full site. Running water and flush toilets. Would definitely recommend this place.

Peaceful

I spent a beautiful lazy weekend there with my bf and dogs 🐶.

Camping ⛺️ around the country 🇺🇸

I found this camp to be very peaceful. The site is small and clean. We stayed an extra night 👍

Horrible- AVOID

Came last year bc we had a good exp with our family. Returned this yr with family and had opposite exp. Now run by two grouchy, power tripping, drinking on the job guys who hate everything and they have a clear power dynamic between them with Michael being the #1. Allen started off the #Shi*ShowCircus. We called on arrival day to inform them we would be pulling in ~90min after they closed and would like to know our assigned space #. They told us they would have it all on an outside assignment board, no problem we said. They knew we had a group of 4 spaces together for a two week family reunion but made a mistake on trailer slot assignments and the next morning demanded we move immediately. This was despite numerous pre-planning phone calls with Allen to triple confirm the details (I was not confident in their behavior so I kept calling back to ease my apprehension). All that did was put a target on our back and the passive aggressive harassment began. My wife went to clear it up the next day and noticed Michael was drunk on the job and called him out for being unprofessional, which only infuriated him. My wife had caught him red handed but instead of being a real man, owning up to it, apologizing and providing excellent customer service, we only stoked the fire in Michael’s bitter, unhappy heart. Michael told us on night #1 at 10:15pm, that our clapping was too loud (no music, no partying…just clapping) and to let our fire die and go into our trailers. Yeah, no. Who thinks they have a right to tell campers when to go to bed when they are peacefully visiting with each other? The next reprimand came when my 5 yo left her balance bike directly behind our trailer on an open field for 10-15 min while we made dinner for our group….apparently this was a flagrant violation needing immediate correction. He then transitioned to chastising the sweetest family ever that had just pulled in next to us about driving their golf cart ~5 mph in the park. They were stunned, the only thing I could say was that it was Michael’s M.O. Poor folks just wanted to relax, but he saw fresh meat and he terrorized them. The next popular issue Michael had was our sweet Vizsla puppy. Michael said our pup could be off leash to exercise, so I adhered to that rule. Exercising him in the vacant, dead grass field behind our trailer often. I was even so diligent about cleaning up his dog poo that I picked up other people’s dog poo too. Michael would always glare at me and reprimand me for my dog being off leash to exercise despite previously telling me otherwise. The biggest laugh came when he raised his insecure, shaky voice at me about the fire pit being in sand and not on rocks. Fire Marshal Michael said because the “sand & dead grass will catch on fire” Lol. He had no clue in his drunken stupor that I’m a retired Firefighter. Sand is non-combustible and I had a clear 5ft radius fire break of more sand around the pit providing no fuel load for such an issue to ever even occur. I’m certain the current cancer to the campgrounds once good reputation will dispute all that i’m saying and paint all of us to be the problem (check out his responses to other negative reviews on yelp)…but 7 grown ups and 4 kids all agree it was hostile and unnecessary. The only reason we all stayed was because it was through the 4th of July weekend and reservations were hard to come by. He ultimately thought he was pretty slick and told us to leave 2 days early and he would refund our money for the balance. We left as asked, but upon calling 1 week later for our refund, drunk Michael berated my wife on the phone and hung up on her. Such stellar customer service, really an exemplary customer service model. The amazing thing about all of this is, upon returning home and back to work and telling my co-workers, one of my co-workers neighbors had an almost identical, bad experience with Michael. Small world, but even so, a turd is a turd no matter who comes across it. Let’s wait and see if he chips in with drunken lies, it’ll be more proof of the points i’m making. Campers beware. Avoid this place like the plague. They just lost a repeating $3,000 every yr because my family and I are never returning here again for our annual reunions. Ps..they charge extra for each guest after 2! WTF is that about?! Rip off city. Oh, and they have a major mouse infestation!

Coulnd’t Have Imagined a Better Spot

This campground was perfect for a quick road trip night. Got a spot right by the river and it was beautiful. It had a nice boat ramp, picnic table and trails to walk around the river to some fishing spots. The camp host Ray came by in he morning and was the sweetest man. For two ladies camping by ourselves, we felt safe and had a great time.

Will definitely be coming back for a longer stay with some friends and family.

Could not find

Did not see any signs or pull offs in this area.

Typically RV park

Your basic RV park, very little tree cover. Did not stay overnight.

Typically middle of the woods

Average campground. Closely spaced sites, next to a river which is nice but also close to the main road so you can hear traffic. Nice one night passing through stay. $24/night, seemed to be reserved through the weekend. Personally did not have cell service through Verizon

Home like

For being walking distance from the busy little town of Bandon this place is was a gem. The owners are incredibly kind and accommodating. Also very very dog friendly, which is huge for us! Bathrooms were spotless and stocked with everything you could need! For those who partake, there is a lovely little smoking shack for Cannabis use . Our van fit perfectly in the spot designated for vans right next to two little tent sites! If we weren’t on a schedule to get down the California coasts we would have stayed another night!!!

Terrible-AVOID

Mt hood

Average facilities, does fill up quickly if you do not reserve. We tested our luck and snagged the last spot, arrived around noon. It was quite buggy in June, but not to great annoyance. Lake was clean enough to swim, but definitely on the chilly side.

Amazing location for BLM camping

We stayed one night here, and it was amazingly peaceful and quiet. We expected dispersed camping, but were pleasantly surprised by the campsites. No hookups, but a picnic table and grill/firepit were at every campsite. Pit toilet buildings were located in several areas. Sites were semicircular with gravel. Easier to disconnect/hookup tow vehicles in the paved parking area by the boat launch/ramp.

Natural

Very primitive campground without flush toilets and simple wells. Campgrounds get a little squished together at times

Really liked this campground

After being on a lengthy trip, it was extremely nice to be in a nice campground that was well established and had showers. Fun trails down the river. Plan to return again some day!

Fun but noisy

It was fun but definitely a party atmosphere. We were looking for something quieter. Very pretty Lake and area.

I don’t have a horse

I don’t have a horse but I still stayed here! We were in the area, struggling to find a place to camp. After 7 pm, the campground let us set up camp in an empty equestrian campsite. Unique experience!