The best camping in
Oregon

4035 Reviews
Camping Oregon

With a strong reputation for adventures in nature, Oregon sits high on many hikers’ and campers’ outdoor bucket lists. And with over 50 percent of state land declared public, camping in Oregon is literally everywhere. To help you get started, here’s some of the best spots to pitch a tent and catch a view!

While the Cascades mountain range used to be a major obstacle for settlers riding the Oregon trail, it has now become an outdoor adventurer’s playground. Mt. Hood, the fourth highest peak in the Cascades and just two hours outside of Portland, is home the most popular park for campers looking for a taste of Oregon’s natural diversity. Aside from the snowy mountain top, the old-growth forests and flowing water features make this a prime location for camping in Oregon.

Lake lovers might appreciate the serene views of the Wy’east at campsites around Trillium Lake. Waking up to the fog that drifts on the lake and Mt. Hood standing tall behind it is a picture-perfect moment every camper dreams of. Rent yourself a boat, canoe or kayak and spend the day gliding around the 63-acre lake or angling for local trout.

If you’d like to ditch some of the crowds around Mt. Hood while also getting a hike in, make your way through a canopy of old-growth forest on the Old Salmon River Trail. The backwoods sites along the trail offer a natural escape to some of the best camping in Oregon.

If you’re looking for a more active natural beauty, venture about three hours south from Mt. Hood to Silver Falls State Park outside of Salem. People call it the “crown jewel” of the Oregon State Parks system, and once you visit, you know why. The scenic waterfall hike offers a 360-degree view of a 178-foot cascade (where else can you hike behind a waterfall?) With sites a hike away from the falls, anyone looking for camping in Oregon can’t miss this spot. Throughout your exploration around Oregon, you can find all the best campsites with The Dyrt.

Recent Reviews in Oregon
Gateway to the Majestic Matolius

Spent several days camping at Lower Canyon Creek and it was peaceful and full of wonder.  No running water but that’s ok because there was also no CELL COVERAGE 🤙👍 either.  One (very clean) vault toilet available.  Put the devices and social media away and soak in the beauty.    Seriously, put them away (airplane mode and pictures only).

We were tent camping in site 2. This is the best site in my opinion.  You’re right on the point of the camp ground.  Your tent door will open up to an aqua pool where Lower Canyon Creek meets the Matolius River.  The Matolius is 100% spring fed maintaining a consistent 40 degree temperature so swimming is not advised.  But a quick dip will rejuvenate and energize your soul.  You fall asleep to the sound of the river as the stress of 2020 melts away.  The nights  were cool and the days warm.  Fished a lot and hiked the surrounding trails. It was hard to leave and return to life (and cellular coverage)…..booo! If you have a small RV (r-pod, tent trailer) site 1 and 4 will accommodate you.  Visit this place, you won’t regret it.

Lemolo is my absolute favorite!!

We love Lemolo!  Between my huge family… we usually have someone up there at least every other weekend during the summer!

Nice Stop over park while traveling

Nice park with good amenities. Close to the airport so early morning air traffic in the skies above the park.   There is an early morning train.  I am a sound sleeper so didn't hear it but my wife did and didn't sleep very well. The park is near the town so you have excess to restaurants and shopping.

Friendliest, Cleanest RV Park anywhere around!

Beautiful, quiet and family friendly RV park right on the S. Umpqua River, just minutes from Wildlife Safari!  Would absolutely recommend one of the river sites!  Staff is amazing, the park itself is pristine!  It's also safe with gates that automatically close at 6pm every night.

Pretty area, very near to Eugene and Coburg

Small, convenient campground near Eugene. Large dog park adjacent, which is very convenient when traveling with your four legged friends.

Nice RV park not far off interstate 5

Stayed for an overnight. Host is very friendly. A small park but easy access for large RV's. I would definitely stop in again.

Great spot for a stopover

This was a nice park. Spots are easy to maneuver and camp hosts were nice folks.

Flies are everywhere and some mosquitos, but wasn’t bad.

Kind of funny that right outside the park the time zone changes. ATT service was terrible

Historic Camp.... 50ft from the freeway. 👎🏼

So much history in this area. A nice little camp with full hookups, cabins and tent spots. LITERALLY right next to the freeway. Camp host was not friendly and the noise never stopped. Keep on going down the road and look for something else if you’re looking for a true outdoors experience.

Horrible People

These people are rude and obsessed about covid. 20 foot distancing rule, signs every couple of feet and there's a guy buzzing around on a golf cart like an angry hornet. I forgot to put my mask on 10 feet from my camp site while throwing out trash and within seconds he was there ripping me a new one. I apologized and immediately pulled a mask out of my pocket and put it on but he kept on. He threatened me that I would be kicked out if he caught me twice. I told him we were leaving in minutes so it didn't matter and he said I was going on the do not come back list. I walked away from him but he came back FOUR times while we were packing up to leave and kept harrassing us - shaking his head, yelling at us and trying to pick a fight. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. Clearly these people are too old and too out of touch to understand customer service. Fees were on the high side and bathrooms and showers are closed due to covid. Four states later - the worst experience of our trip.

Lots of trails, lots of bees!

Came to check it out since we were camped nearby. There’s a vault toilet, some fire pits where obviously you can camp and looks like lots of snow mobile trails. There is also a pond of water too. I bet this place would be great in the winter. Watch out for the bees, they were thick!