the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
Oregon

With a strong reputation for adventures in nature, Oregon sits high on many hikers’ and campers’ outdoor bucket lists. And with over 50 percent of state land declared public, camping in Oregon is literally everywhere. To help you get started, here’s some of the best spots to pitch a tent and catch a view!

While the Cascades mountain range used to be a major obstacle for settlers riding the Oregon trail, it has now become an outdoor adventurer’s playground. Mt. Hood, the fourth highest peak in the Cascades and just two hours outside of Portland, is home the most popular park for campers looking for a taste of Oregon’s natural diversity. Aside from the snowy mountain top, the old-growth forests and flowing water features make this a prime location for camping in Oregon.

Lake lovers might appreciate the serene views of the Wy’east at campsites around Trillium Lake. Waking up to the fog that drifts on the lake and Mt. Hood standing tall behind it is a picture-perfect moment every camper dreams of. Rent yourself a boat, canoe or kayak and spend the day gliding around the 63-acre lake or angling for local trout.

If you’d like to ditch some of the crowds around Mt. Hood while also getting a hike in, make your way through a canopy of old-growth forest on the Old Salmon River Trail. The backwoods sites along the trail offer a natural escape to some of the best camping in Oregon.

If you’re looking for a more active natural beauty, venture about three hours south from Mt. Hood to Silver Falls State Park outside of Salem. People call it the “crown jewel” of the Oregon State Parks system, and once you visit, you know why. The scenic waterfall hike offers a 360-degree view of a 178-foot cascade (where else can you hike behind a waterfall?) With sites a hike away from the falls, anyone looking for camping in Oregon can’t miss this spot. Throughout your exploration around Oregon, you can find all the best campsites with The Dyrt.

Recent Reviews in Oregon
Great Little Secret

Beautiful place, quiet with sites right next to the McKenzie river.

Simple, quiet

Wild strawberry growing on the dunes

Yurt lyfe

Good yurt I got to share with my dog

Alt-Lodge Go-To; 7-miles South of Rim Village in the Trees

One of two campgrounds officially in the park, outside of a backcountry permit, Mazama Village is certainly not a place of solitude, notching in around 200+ sites, but if amenities are your m.o.—camp store, restaurant, showers, gas station—for $21/tent site, you won’t find a better option, other than the historic lodge on the rim of the lake.

Combined with RV spots, and the popularity of Crater Lake as a Seven-Wonder of Oregon bucket-list spot, the village is pretty much at capacity all season long, as such you’re bound to have a diverse social experience from tourist to family to rowdy glamper, but in my handful of experiences here, everyone pretty much respects the 10 p.m. quite hours in favor of waking up to those gorgeous ponderosa pine blanketing the grounds.

Otherwise, re: solitude—giddy-up a dash for Mazama’s much more low-key, tent-only 16-site sibling a few miles closer to the rim, Lost Creek, which ditches reservations entirely, instituting a first-come, first-served option, and Pro-Tip 🤫 : is only $10!

It was a amazing place my friends and I to camp!

Be careful of the camp host

Decent camp ground , horrible / dangerous camp host I’ve been going there since 85ish in the recent years the camp host have been volatile towards young children and campers in general. I’ve seen them call the sherif and rangers and have innocent families uprooted and removed for no reason . Unfortunately I will never be returning to a place that I’ve had so much history growing up a place that was like my second home all b cause camp host threatened multiple families multiple years in a row and I had to bare witness. Very very sad

This park not in Kansas

Kansas does not have this big of hills nor is the ocean nearby

Very low water in August

While the campground itself was nice, with spaced out sites for privacy (larger campground than I expected), in August the water was so low that we went to next door South Twin Lake for boating and swimming. We weren't the only ones-- it was packed!

Worth it even for a short trip

Smith Rock is a worthwhile destination, even if you only have a day. I'm not a rock climber or very fit hiker (so misery ridge was off the table). There were still great trails to take advantage of along the river, that were less trafficked than the misery ridge trail as well.

Quiet, close to Smith Rock

Our experience here was a quiet one, and we chose the campground for its proximity to Smith Rock, which I had never been to, and as a dark spot from which to watch the Perseid meteor shower. In those two ways, the campground worked pretty well! Unfortunately, the lake was in the midst of an algae bloom, so not ideal for swimming and we saw no one on the lake. There was also a fire ban in place at the time.

Awesome Campground

Its a large campground and it's usually booked up year round so reserve in advance! The bathroom showers can be used by pacific coast hikers for a small fee. Bathrooms were clean. Weve camped and stayed in a yurt. Both were great. Checkin was a breeze for the yurt and all staff and volunteers were great.

Comfy, relaxing, clean

While this site is close to the two-lane highway, it feels tucked in and close to nature anyway. Individual sites are spacious and have running water, picnic tables, and fire pit. The restroom facilities are clean and accessible. Hosts are friendly and helpful. Best part is the access to the Grand Ronde river where kids can wade or explore along the banks. We’ve been twice and will return. Recommended.

Great low-key, river spot

Quaint RV campground located right on the Umpqua River. Excellent spot to settle down for a few days and raft the lazy current. One piece of advice, there are some small leaches in the river to watch out for.

Serene Lake OR Backpacking Campground

Beautiful little mountain lake on the slopes of Mt. Hood. We did the 12-mile loop in two days from the trailhead below Shellrock Lake. There are some tough climbs but the Friday night we spent there was great. Looked like it was getting crowded when we left Saturday afternoon. The water is clear and amazingly warm, considering that it's glacier feed.

We didn't have to pay for the campsite, but you do need a Forest Pass or something to leave your car at the trailhead.

Trout Creek BLM Rustic Deschutes Boat Launch

This is a very pretty but rustic campground on BLM land. No reservations are taken, and people seem to stay for a long time. We got there early on a Friday in mid-May and found it full. However, we got talking with an RV owner who said it was fine to park our Westfalia in the far end of his site. That might not always work, obviously, if it's more crowded. Another reviewer said it's not crowded in July, but I don't know.

This campground seems to attract a lot of fishermen, since there's a boat ramp used to take out and put it on the Deschutes. I'm sure it's jammed on opening day and during hatches.

We didn't bring bikes but you can walk for miles along the river and feeder streams. The basalt columns and rimrock outcroppings are beautiful. There's some good climbing, but sections of the hillsides are closed off during nesting season. It's pretty well marked.

There are vault toilets but no running water. Also, there's a one-lane tunnel on the access road, so that would limit wide and/or high RVs and trailers. There are fire rings, but fires are usually prohibited throughout this area during summer fire season.

Trout Creek Deschutes River Boat Ramp Dry Camp

Quick getaway

live in Molalla and this a quick 3 miles down the road. The park is a small county park that has a day use area with group day use site rentals. The day use area is on the banks of the Molalla river. There is a playground for the kids and swimming in the river. The campground is 1 row of (I THINK) about 8 spots nestled along a creek away from the day use area. Lots of trees and grass. Just around the corner down the road is the Shady Dell railroad park that has summer fun for kids and adults to ride trains for a donation. Going the other way you go into the Molalla river corridor that offers fishing and hiking.

Awful Customer Service

I am floored by the customer service at this lodge. My friends and I visited this winter and will not be returning again after a series of issues with our stay.

After visiting, I received a brief email from Karen Brown saying that we had damaged their new table in the Bluebird cabin. Throughout this entire month, I have requested over six times for a picture, as wanted to see what damage she was referring to. I have called and emailed and talked with other staff to please see the damage, and I never heard back. They charged me the labor and damage without even letting me see what it looked like.

Additionally, we had some lights not working, smoke detectors chirping, and a large container of diesel, which was unmarked, resting right near the wood burning stove. We did not realize this until one of the employees had to come to help us out with the stove, as there were no directions, and let us know how dangerous it was that it was sitting right there. We felt pretty alarmed, as we hadn't moved the container upon our arrival and we did not know it was diesel as the container had nothing written on it.

I have stayed up in the crater for three years now and have used Paulina Lake's cabins for two of them. I'm feeling pretty put out by our latest visit there particularly with this charge and lack of information given to us upon our arrival. I loved visiting here, but I will not be doing so anymore.

Great camping, busy during peak season

Lots to see and do at South Twin Lake. I really enjoyed the hiking trails and exploring. The lake and day use area was very busy at times (very family friendly!) A fun spot to go lay out in the sun, go swimming, or trout fishing!

Great spot for locals!

Fun place to visit if you live in Yamhill County (or even Salem/Keizer area). Especially when you want something close by and need to get out and explore! Pet friendly, great nature walks, and so much to see!

This RV park Does Not Exist ....

I have drove up and down every street in the area and its a Residential area …

I miss this place!

I grew up going here several times a summer. It's an awesome spot with a swimming hole, you could (not sure about current status) jump off the bridge, and play in the creek below the bridge where there are neat smooth rocks.

Lots of space. Loud motorcycles on the beach

It's a fine place to camp. Nice spots. Lots of motorcycles driving around 24/7

South Shore Campground was perfect

We had our second 6th street hood reunion at South Shore and it fitted our needs perfectly. We plan on having the rest of our reunions to come at this same place. Price was even perfect and we got to watch the boat races as a added bonus.

Rugged boondocking

Beautiful recitation area… Mostly roadside limited facilities and or services but beautiful area.. large mountain lake tucked into beautiful mountain valleys …windy narrow road a couple state campgrounds and day use areas… limited places to turn around… But well worth the adventure!

City camping ...

More of an Rv park or stop over when traveling… Close to town and lots of amenities

Overnight waterfront ..

Great little spot for a family get together and overnight stay … On the river good fishing… but be aware… current is swift.. swimmers seem to get in trouble every year here ….

Love this campground!

Have stayed4-5 times in the past 2 years… All sites are wooded and private feeling and have room for a tent guest as well .. lots of hiking trails… swimming holes rafting grass areas … definitely one of our favorites!

Almost to hard to book

Close to town, great views, a quick drive to the beach or a steep lengthy walk. Almost too popular… hard to book.

Our families have been coming here for 30 years! Delightful!

Our families have been coming here for 30 years! Delightful!