The best camping in
Washington

2825 Reviews 1950 Campgrounds
Camping Washington

Exploring the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest means choosing between beaches and deserts, forests and volcanos, lakes and prairies. Camping in Washington is a chance to greet nature up close and sleep in some of the most beautiful land in North America. The biggest challenge? Deciding where to start.

The Cascade Mountains run down the center of Washington like a spine. A handful of highways cross the crest in parallel lines, all running from the evergreens of the west side to the wide open grasslands of the east. Camping in Washington is available along every route, like the state parks that dot I-90 and North Cascades National Park that hugs Highway 20.

Take Highway 2 over Stevens Pass to find old-growth trees around each spot at Money Creek Campground, plus a view of a classic metal train trestle. Fill each day with hikes through the Cascade forest, perhaps on a stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail where it passes the Stevens Pass Mountain Resort ski area. Head east of Stevens Pass to verdant Lake Wenatchee State Park for wooded campsites near the shores of a placid mountain lake and a stable inside the park offering trail rides through the summer. BYO kayak or rent one here.

Sometimes camping in Washington means getting off the beaten track to explore the quiet corners of the state. Take a forest road in Olympic National Park to find a green haven of mossy logs and curious chipmunks, or head north around Mount Baker, the Cascades’ northernmost volcano, for boat-in campsites around Baker Lake. In winter, the snowy expanse of Artist Point near Mount Baker' offers killer views of rugged glaciers for intrepid snow campers and backcountry skiers.

There are spectacular overnights to be had in the Pacific Northwest’s national and state parks, not to mention the remote U.S. Forest Service lands that blanket this corner of the country. Stock up on s’mores and firewood (when and where rules allow) and pitch a tent under the stars and go camping in Washington for the trip of a lifetime.

Recent Reviews in Washington
Love it!

Had a wonderful stay! We were there the last weekend of the season. Will 100% be back when it is open again. We loved hiking around with our kids and roaming the beach exploring!

Fly fishing only

Great little lake to get away to and camp. Fly fishing only, quiet and great for kayaking. Nice trail along lake to a grove of old growth trees. Has pit toilet but no water, so bring your own.

A river runs through it.

Stayed in this campground on the last part of my first solo trip. I was a little anxious due to not having this site reserved ahead of time but I made it to the campground early and picked a suitable enough site for one night. The Rangers in the visitor center at the campground were super great. The site I ended up choosing was okay, but the site next to it kind of over run into my site, and the couple next to me too full advantage of that, so it left me slightly uncomfortable. Otherwise, the campground itself was clean and well maintained. The trails that lead out of the campground were great and branched off in every direct so I hiked in the area for an entire afternoon. I would potentially try to fins another campground in this area if I'm ever out that way again, but if nothing presented itself I would stay here again. The river being just down the bank from the campsite provided fantastic ambiance and white noise when bedtime rolled around, especially considering the other people in the sites next to mine were in very close proximity.

Across form the beach

I stayed in this campground mainly because I wanted to be near the beach, but also due to the easy of booking the site online. Traveling solo, booking in advance really helps. I was directly across the street(in the campground) from the beach. I could hear the sound of the waves all the time from my site. The campground was very clean, and spread out for the most part. The other sites were very visible from mine, but it wasn't a bother. The bathrooms, while there were no showers were very well kept, and maintained. The trails from the campground to hike around in were a little confusing, but still really nice once you got on the actual trail. The Kalaloch Lodge which was just down the road provided a much needed scenic breakfast to me on my last morning there.  I would most definitely stay here again should I return to the PNW.

Hike into

My first ever solo trip and of course, I chose as far away from home in the US I could. This campground was the first I visited, I loved the fact I could reserve it only months in advance through recreation.gov, which eased my anxiety of traveling alone. No worries about getting there and not having a site to stay on. I chose the hike to site because I wanted a challenge and I’d never stayed at a campground that offered hike to sites before. It was a pleasantly short walk to my site. Upon arrival I noticed the platform for my tent, a picnic table and a fire pit. The site was divided from he nearby sites with trees and bushes which was really nice. The trails around the campground were amazing, some went into the forest and some went into the small “vintage” town of Newhalem which I thought was very quaint and neat. Another path from the hike to sites was to the river which I could fairly hear from my tent. This campground was super nice and clean and if I ever go back to North Cascades again, I’ll more than like stay here again.

My go to campground

The campground is awesome. It's my go to camping spot when I need to get out of town. It has everything I need. It gets busy during or around holidays, but mid week or off season is perfect. The hosts are always friendly and it's always been clean.

Park like setting

Nice park like setting.

Quiet

Very quiet RV park. Not much privacy but gorgeous views. Walking distance to wine tasting and wonderful fruit stand.

Excellent base for exploring with bikes.

Clean,Safe, Dog on leash friendly, Laundry, Shower & complete hook-up.

Sommertime shade

Great for weekend getaways from Tri Cities. River access and plenty of shade. Discounts for vets and seniors.

Spacious Getaway

We just spent two nights cold weather camping here. It’s a beautiful quiet park with very spacious lots. There is not a lot to do besides hiking, but if you are looking for peace and quiet in the woods, this might be the ticket.

Full of fun things for kiddos

This is the kind of RV park that I like. Nice spots surrounded by grass, decent space between sites (not much, but enough), and most importantly, lots and lots of things for kiddos to explore. There's random trails, a playground, big green fields, volleyball court, etc. Plenty to keep them busy and felt completely comfortable letting them run around.

Everything is clean and well maintained. I like the central area better (closer to facilities). The camp is right off the freeway, but if you're back off the road there's not as much noise, though there's also a train that runs through on the far side. Overall, would definitely come back.

Clean, Basic, Cheap, Right on Freeway

Not really our style, since we travel with kids and are looking for things to do (trees, playgrounds, pools, etc.), but for what it is, this is a decently priced, clean, basic RV Park. I didn't get the same creepy feeling of long-timers staring at us when pulling up that I get at other parks, but rather it's nice people (mostly full-time RV retirees) who are here to stay for a week or a month and then move on to the next place.

Location is literally right on the freeway (back wall shares a wall with I-5). Plenty of noise, but not as bad as it could have been.

Compared to other places nearby, the price is great (about$35), and you're right in Vancouver and near Portland. I don't think we'd go back again since it's not our thing, but could be fine if cheap, convenient, and clean is what you're looking for.

Convenient Location. Clean, Basic, Nice

Flew in to the Bellingham airport, picked up a vehicle and arrived at Bellingham RV Park at about dusk (if you can't tell from the photos). Registration process was super-easy. Park felt safe and restrooms, area around the RVs were all very clean and homey.

Nothing amazing, but the location for what we needed at the time(close to the airport, close to El Monte RV) and a place to safely lay our heads was perfect. About$50/night, which, again, was what we needed at the time.

Also has a good amount of basic services nearby, including a gas station and 24-hour food. If we were in a similar situation and needed a place to safely sleep, we'd come

Nope nope nope

Too many full-timers for our vacationing/camping lifestyle. Lots of run-down RVs and cars that looked like they haven't moved in years. Satellite dishes, plastic toys, and other evidence of permanent living.

There's a store on-site, which is nice, and a small playground and dog area, but overall, this is not the kind of place I'd like to go to on a vacation. Feels much more like a sad trailer park.

Wonderful teardrop gathering in The Gorge

Still one of my favorite camping trips each year, and 2019 didn't disappoint. The Annual Gorge Gathering, hosted by Teardrop Trailers of Oregon and Washington, is held here each Memorial Day weekend. Find out more information here:

There's tons of cute trailers to check out, nice people, pot lucks, a large indoor area with a kitchen, and things to do in the area. Definitely worth checking out if you either have a tear drop trailer or are just interested in seeing some.

Seemed to be more kids this year, as well as more vegetarian options in the potluck, both of which made me happy.

The fairgrounds are also available for other group campground gatherings.

Not for Us. More Full Timers than Overnight Camping

I'd give this place about 2.5 stars. On one hand, it's quite cute in a gnome-fairy in the woods kind of way. Absolutely amazing, huge trees in the back half that look like a wonderland.

But really this is a place more for full-timers or at least long-timers, which we are not. They're even set up more for full-timers with things like permanent mail boxes.

It's also not super kid-friendly. Most people were older when we were there, and it's not full of many things for the kids to do other than run around the woods (which is nice and all, but couldn't find a playground, pool, etc.). I could see my parents liking this place though (an older generation).

Pros:

• Clean enough.
  • Amazing Trees.
  • Quaint.

Cons:

• Main phone number disconnected (as of when I wrote this review).
  • Pretty much all full-timers, or long-timers.
Not coming back, but a cheap stop

It’s 9:30, and the full hookup sites are blaring “how to save a life” by the fray, two sites down there’s an odd couple with a trailer arguing over the generator. I can hear the crowd in the little cabins on the other side of the campground. There’s no privacy here. The sites are all right on top of each other. Just hope you get a day when the crowd is good. On the bright side, the rest of the sites are being considerate, it’s open in winter, they have showers, and there are three tent sites for $20/night. Ear plugs are of good use here. We are using it as a stop over on our way out to the other side of the peninsula.

Disappointed

Sites are small and not maintained. I would not recommend any RV to use this site. It's definitely more targeted for tenters, van lifers, and maybe a class B.

Sites are close together, little privacy.

The pottable water is damn good though 😂

Roland Point Camp

Accessible via hiking or (rented) boat.  This campground has beautiful locations for reading, hiking, and canyoning.  Bear boxes provided and a well-maintained pit toilet.

Even in the rain - this place is great!

My first time camping at Ross Lake was at Colonial Creek - which actually has access to Diablo Lake.  It was pouring down rain - typical for the Pacific Northwest, but we still had a blast.  Clean bathrooms, plenty of space for cooking, cleaning, playing card games.

One of my favorite annual hiking trips!

We do an annual hiking trip at Ross Lake.  Amazing hikes, glacier-fed lake - which is icy cold if you decide to hike all the way up to Desolation Outlook and need to cool down your body after the evaluation climb.  You can rent motorized boats to access even more campgrounds.  Canoe or stand up paddleboard.  There are always rangers refilling toilet paper and checking on the conditions of the pit toilets which I always appreciate and bear boxes to keep your food safe.

Way out there, loud river, bring bug spray!

This campground is easy to find but a long drive into the woods on a bumpy gravel road. I made it in a Camery but it was a bumpy ride. Closest store is 45 minutes away so make sure you bring everything you need including firewood. It gets pretty chilly as the campground is well shaded. The river is very loud so you really don't hear your neighbors. The bugs are terrible, I've never seen mosquitos that aggressive. Each site had a tent pad, picnic table, and fire ring. There are some spots closer together but plenty that are set apart enough that you have privacy. Beautiful campground. No cell reception. One group had kids who were older but we didn't see any other kids. Well taken care of vault toilets though there was no host when we were there. Four stars only because the bugs were so bad, everything else about it was perfect for what we were looking for.

Small, family friendly, busy

I should have done a little more research before reserving a spot as this was not what I was looking for. There were pastures and fields surrounding the campground which was set back in a part of forrest. The street in front of the campground was a main road that cars and tractors drove up and down all day. All of the other campers were quiet and respectful but the location was not what we had hoped for. As far as recreation goes, neither we nor our neighbors could find the falls. There were regular flush toilets available and it was decently clean. Plenty of field space and climbing toys for families. We stayed in site 48 which was away from the other campsites but near the entrance to the campground and close to the road.

Pacific Northwest Perfection

This is possibly the most beautiful National Park I have visited. Perfect campground along a river populated with deer, elk, and bears. Use your bear box! This is a rain forest so expect everything to be moist in the morning. There are still working pay phones here and fantastic interpretative center. There is a little town 15-20 minute drive away that has a supermarket, a large general store, and WiFi. The very best spot is Loop C, spot 78.

Park Creek Campground

This campground is located on Baker Lake Road. It is on the opposite side of the road as the lake, across from Swift Creek campground.

Park Creek campground takes reservations. We tried our luck with no reservations- on the Thursday before Labor Day Weekend- and we were able to score a spot for one night. There were several sites available when we stayed there, but it was full for the weekend.

We chose a spot that seemed a little more secluded than others, and it turned out to be a sweet little spot.. There was a place to park our car, a picnic area, a spot for two tents(sort of…we got pretty close to each other) and river access.

The campground has toilets and dumpsters, but no showers. There were two separate toilets close to us.

We were able to gather lots of firewood in the surrounding woods, so had a nice fire.

The great thing about this campground is its location. It’s right across the street from Baker Lake, and near some amazing hikes.

Great hidden gem

Nice spots close to small river and off the road just enough. Awesome spot!

Just gorgeous!

We absolutely loved our stay here (9/5-9/7)! We arrived on a weekday and the campground was fairly empty, so we were able to grab a great spot in the A loop with easy access to the restrooms and the trails to the visitor center. The campground is first come, first serve, dry camping, and the dump station was out of service while we were there.

There are both back-in and pull- through sites with concrete pads, fire rings, and picnic tables. Some tight turns and low-hanging trees but our 32’ fifth wheel managed just fine. Plenty of wildlife, including deer, rabbits, birds, squirrels, and numerous banana slugs.

The visitor is an easy walk from the campground. The hiking trails were simply gorgeous and we definitely did not stay long enough to thoroughly enjoy this area of Olympic National Park.

Nearby Forks, WA is a 45 minute drive from the campground.

Two bars of Verizon LTE but it varied throughout the park.

A note about the drive in: We are very glad we arrived on a weekday! The road into this campground is narrow, and there were times we were driving over the centerline to keep our rig on the road. There is no shoulder for most of the drive and we did not want to meet any oncoming traffic with a rig as long as ours. It’s doable but take it slow!

Beatiful, Quiet Camping

We made reservations here 9/3-9/5. We had a dry camping, asphalt parking site next to the restrooms at the end of the loop (near the camp hosts). It was very quiet here and the area is just beautiful.

The roads through this campground are a bit tight and have a few low-hanging trees, so be aware if you have a larger rig. Our 32’ fifth wheel was fine but I wouldn’t want to go much longer than that.

There are plenty of hiking, fishing, and sight-seeing available in the area. This campground was a great jumping-off point for visiting nearby Mount Rainier National Park.

The campground has both dry camping and water/electric hookups, but no dump station. Flush toilets and pit toilets were located in the campground; the flush toilets we were next to were clean. There are several water spigots scattered throughout the dry camping loop, although they weren’t threaded so we couldn’t run a hose to them. Washing dishes at the spigots and in the restrooms was discouraged.

Nearby Enumclaw had everything we needed. The drive through the forest to get there was nice and we spotted several moose in the trees.

Verizon signal was spotty.

Very Civilized Camp

This campground was so nice and clean and was very well maintained. The bathrooms were spotless and the hosts were very friendly. Some really nice spots!