The best camping in
Washington

4060 Reviews
Camping Washington

Exploring the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest means choosing between beaches and deserts, forests and volcanos, lakes and prairies. Camping in Washington is a chance to greet nature up close and sleep in some of the most beautiful land in North America. The biggest challenge? Deciding where to start.

The Cascade Mountains run down the center of Washington like a spine. A handful of highways cross the crest in parallel lines, all running from the evergreens of the west side to the wide open grasslands of the east. Camping in Washington is available along every route, like the state parks that dot I-90 and North Cascades National Park that hugs Highway 20.

Take Highway 2 over Stevens Pass to find old-growth trees around each spot at Money Creek Campground, plus a view of a classic metal train trestle. Fill each day with hikes through the Cascade forest, perhaps on a stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail where it passes the Stevens Pass Mountain Resort ski area. Head east of Stevens Pass to verdant Lake Wenatchee State Park for wooded campsites near the shores of a placid mountain lake and a stable inside the park offering trail rides through the summer. BYO kayak or rent one here.

Sometimes camping in Washington means getting off the beaten track to explore the quiet corners of the state. Take a forest road in Olympic National Park to find a green haven of mossy logs and curious chipmunks, or head north around Mount Baker, the Cascades’ northernmost volcano, for boat-in campsites around Baker Lake. In winter, the snowy expanse of Artist Point near Mount Baker' offers killer views of rugged glaciers for intrepid snow campers and backcountry skiers.

There are spectacular overnights to be had in the Pacific Northwest’s national and state parks, not to mention the remote U.S. Forest Service lands that blanket this corner of the country. Stock up on s’mores and firewood (when and where rules allow) and pitch a tent under the stars and go camping in Washington for the trip of a lifetime.

Recent Reviews in Washington
Remote and serene getaway

We stayed here in our RV in August of 2019 and really enjoyed the peace and quiet. The sites have full hook ups. You can walk to the river or leave the campground to walk on the road (which isn't very busy). It's close to Mt Rainier and plenty of national forest hikes and activities. There's a trout pond onsite and you can pay a small fee to fish, don't even need your own gear or a license. It's quite remote so not the place to go if you want to stay connected to the outside world. I don't even think we had cell coverage. The owners are very friendly and the prices are great. We're going back again this summer.

Wish I could have seen the ocean at Ocean City

Campground was kind of a mess. Downed trees and flooded sites. The trails to the beach were also a mess and we gave up rather than muck our way through knee high water. I guess this is a summer visit only!

Nice Campground for a Short Visit

Site 80 is the best, it's a corner spot with great views of the water. The bike trail runs through the campground and there is access to sports fields via a tunnel under the highway. There are a few short trails around a creek and the beach.

Close to hiking, fishing, etc.

Nice campground but it is right off of Highway 101 and there is truck noise. Not much to it but it's a good spot to stay to be close to Hoh Rainforest and Forks.

Beautiful views and well maintained

Spacious campsites with tons of privacy tucked back from the road. In the off season only the front section of the campground is open, but thats not a problem since maybe 5 other sites were occupied. Everything was very well maintained and I frequently saw the camp host driving around and stopping to clean up various sites. $20 a night for all sites during the off-season. Cell service was usually one to two bars.

The bathrooms were clean with flushable toilets and were stocked with soap and TP. I didn’t check out the showers.

The best part about this campground is the beach. Its a short walk down from the campground. It has beautiful views of mountains across the water on a clear day. There’s lots of picnic tables in the area. The beach itself is covered in rocks and oyster shells. When I was there it was almost always totally empty besides myself. Nothing better than a beautiful view all to yourself!

Quiet and Beautiful

We tent camped at a drive-in site (8) in October 2020 and loved our experience. The whole campground felt small and peaceful, the tent sites were well spaced and surrounded by trees. It seemed to be popular with families and there were quite a few kids riding their bikes around the loop. The walk around the lake was beautiful and quiet - we did not pass many people at all.

I think next time we’ll try the walk-in sites for the privacy and the above view of the lake.

Would recommend, absolutely.

Amazing campground!!

This is our favorite campsite ever - and we’ve been a lot of places!! It’s deep in the forest, prepare for a long drive. We listened to Jurassic park music the whole way there. You’ll see lots of wildlife and cross over some incredibly high bridges to get there.

The campground is very secluded and hidden in the trees. Sites are spaced out far apart and quiet.

It felt like we were camping alone even though there were plenty of other people there.

Bathrooms are vault toilets and even though they’re relatively clean you won’t want to spend much time in them!

There is no cell phone service but there are plenty of hikes to do from the campground.

My only real warning is to be prepared for precipitation! It was very humid and everything was covered in a layer of dew in the morning.

FanFreakinTastic!

Bob has created a wonderful and whimsical camp area!
It’s a ‘biker’ camp but Bob is pretty chill and i explained i basically just needed a safe place to vanlife for the night. He showed me around…heated bathroom with shower, outdoor kitchen, group firepit with seating and a roof! Gorgeous campsites nestled in cedar. A kids play area. Colorful artworks abound. Its a serene and happy place. I can’t wait to go back on my bike!

Nice RV Park

Park is new and well maintained. Roads are paved and easy access in and out. Sites are concrete pads with a picnic table also on concrete. While sites are close, they are spaced well enough that you don’t have to worry with hitting your neighbor with your awning or having to play Tetris with your slides. The prior review about it being a couple miles from I-90 is probably for the county park at the actual lake. This park is right on the side of I-90, so road noise 24 hours a day along with the train and industrial buildings on each side. So if you are looking peace and quiet, this isn’t it. It is a nice spot for working in the area though and is nicer than the other choices near by. Staff is friendly and are on the ball with keeping the grounds clean and offer a smile and wave. Amenities include a playground, basketball court, dog park, clubhouse, pool and bathhouse. All are nice. The downside are the prices and policies. There are no refunds. So if you put a deposit down and your plans change, they will only give you a credit for a year. The monthly rates are not bad, but electric is separate. There are no weekly rates, so if you just need a week or two it’s either pay the $80 daily rate or pay a month for a week. There is also a $100 deposit on the heat tape during winter on the spigot. If you don’t want to pay it then you have to call them to unlock the water to fill your tank. Even though the tape is on it regardless, so doesn’t make any sense. Wifi is useable for basic internet use. AT&T service is great though.

Get a motel for $10-$20 more!

I considered this spot because it shows ‘dispersed land’. So i called and explained i was self contained in my van, didn’t need anything more than a parking spot… It’s a Tuesday early evening. Its still winter. Shed ‘do a deal’ for me…$40!!! Wheres the dispersed land?

I would rather give my money to a local Mom n Pop roadside motel!!!

Very disappointing!