THE BEST CAMPING IN
Washington
2491 Reviews 1946 Campgrounds
Camping Washington

Exploring the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest means choosing between beaches and deserts, forests and volcanos, lakes and prairies. Camping in Washington is a chance to greet nature up close and sleep in some of the most beautiful land in North America. The biggest challenge? Deciding where to start.

The Cascade Mountains run down the center of Washington like a spine. A handful of highways cross the crest in parallel lines, all running from the evergreens of the west side to the wide open grasslands of the east. Camping in Washington is available along every route, like the state parks that dot I-90 and North Cascades National Park that hugs Highway 20.

Take Highway 2 over Stevens Pass to find old-growth trees around each spot at Money Creek Campground, plus a view of a classic metal train trestle. Fill each day with hikes through the Cascade forest, perhaps on a stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail where it passes the Stevens Pass Mountain Resort ski area. Head east of Stevens Pass to verdant Lake Wenatchee State Park for wooded campsites near the shores of a placid mountain lake and a stable inside the park offering trail rides through the summer. BYO kayak or rent one here.

Sometimes camping in Washington means getting off the beaten track to explore the quiet corners of the state. Take a forest road in Olympic National Park to find a green haven of mossy logs and curious chipmunks, or head north around Mount Baker, the Cascades’ northernmost volcano, for boat-in campsites around Baker Lake. In winter, the snowy expanse of Artist Point near Mount Baker' offers killer views of rugged glaciers for intrepid snow campers and backcountry skiers.

There are spectacular overnights to be had in the Pacific Northwest’s national and state parks, not to mention the remote U.S. Forest Service lands that blanket this corner of the country. Stock up on s’mores and firewood (when and where rules allow) and pitch a tent under the stars and go camping in Washington for the trip of a lifetime.

Recent Reviews in Washington
Will return

Nice place, close, lots of thing to do with the kid

Davis Lake Campground

This was located in Colville National Forrest. Approximately 2 1/2 hours outside of Spokane. The drive wasn’t bad, but the last 45 mins was on a windy dirt road.

Davis Lake Campground

Free range cows

Camp here for free for 7 days with a discover pass! 2 pit toilets, fire ring and picnic table at each site. Big areas for RVs, horse trailers and group sites. No water hook ups or dump stations. River access and lots of trails for nature walks. Very beautiful area! I had phone service and I use Sprint.

Gamble for a view

Only 3 non-reservable sites with tables and fire pits on DNR land. The path up to the sites from the beach is very steep and slippery on the dirt but there is a rope to help. Looks like they’re trying to create a stairway in the future. Not recommended if you need to haul myriad items up to the campground. One vault toilet had no toilet paper and was quite unsavory. We grabbed some rolls from Sucia to restock it for people. There is an epic view with short trails to walk around though.

Chill campground outside of Lake Wenatchee

Camped here with a group of friends after making a blind reservation since there is no map or pictures of the campground available on recreation.gov. Our campsite ended up being right next to the road, which would not have been our first choice had we been able to see the map of the campground when booking. The road noise was a little bit annoying but it wasn't too big of an issue, especially at night since less people drive at that time. Many sites are spacious here, but some I noticed have a little less space and less privacy than others. The best sites are along the creek, although you can walk to the water easily from anywhere. The campground is made up of three loops that are not connected together, so if you were trying to buy 2 sites next to each other they could end up being in different loops. The bathrooms were nice and had flush toilets, though no soap was provided. Firewood is available from the camp host at site 31 for $7/bundle (cash only). They even drove around with firewood in their golf cart when they did their round of check-ins. Mosquitos were pretty abundant, so make sure to pack the insect repellent, and put it on immediately. I got bit within 30 seconds of getting out of the car when we arrived. Overall this campground was really relaxed and it didn't feel very crowded compared to Lake Wenatchee down the road.

Dogs welcome or not?

Love this place!  Go frequently. However, we are responsible dog owners, and today we met an annoying host. Hovering and following us around pointing out poison oak "dont let your dog near the bushes" (ok thanks for the concern). Far end of park entering beach "dogs not allowed on beach" (oh I honestly did not see that sign- day visitor only). Asked if boardwalk is ok "well I guess so "  Inconsistent signage and rules. Are dogs welcome or not? Understandable dont want poop on the beach and the risk of those who wont pick up poop. But, lots of signs saying "dogs on leash." Not enjoyable today, noisy kids and noisy guest slamming dumpster lids and talking loudly. But. the quiet dog on the leash with poop bags at far end of park, was a problem.

Basic RV sites

Basic RV park on the water

Either a basic RV park or does not exist

Either a basic RV park or does not exist

Basic campsite

Pit toilets, no showers, national park price ($22/night for basic fire ring and picnic table). Cool spot for hiking but otherwise a little out of the way. No cell service. Some sites are pretty close together.

Great service, basic KOA

Your basic KOA with the amenities: flush toilets, showers, dog park, gift shop, kids activities, etc. but comes with the price $38/night basic primitive tent camping. No complaints otherwise and very friendly staff.

Better for tents

We took the family to Twin Harbors during Westport’s Pirate festival. The festival was fun, the RV campground was not awesome though. First, it’s pretty tightly packed in. Even sitting at your picnic table feels like you’re intruding in your neighbors. Some folks had an RV or trailer and a tent and there was literally zero other space, it was hard to tel where one site ended and the other began. Fire pits are elevated grills at many sites, which I’m not a fan of. Additionally, we had to run to town because the water and power hookups are ridiculously far away from where they sit on anyone’s trailer or RV. And you have to cross a highway to get to the beach. Tents, though: sites looked better, bigger, more divided. Also they’re on the other side of the highway so beach access is easier. We decided that if we do return we’ll dry camp in our little trailer at the tent sites and feel Better about our trip.

Old growth.

The Trees here are Amazing! 21 campsites to choose from, with some availability to reserve. The sites are large, and there is a large old growth shelter available as well. It provides a lot of shade. Campsites include tent pads, picnic tables and fire rings. There are trash cans and recycling options. I was quite amused by the "boat launch" as there was not one. Would stay here. The scenery is amazing.

Great option by mount rainier

This was a stellar campground that was cheap ($14) and super close to mount rainier NP. I camped on a weekday and was literally the only person in the entire campground

One of my favs!

Large fun Campground. The beach is large, and if you hit it at the right weather, very spectacular place

Beautiful, small Campground

This campground is on the very senic Mountain loop Rd in the Mount Baker -Snoqualmie National Forest. It's a beautiful drive. The campground is nestled in some great trees. Only 13 campsites with tent pads, picnic tables, and fire rings. Vault toilets, we'll maintained The town of Darrington is close by if you need something. The Sauk River is accessible from the campground and is honestly the highlight.

Glamping

Tiny little town gem. Super clean and nice full hookups including cable (I didn’t get mine to work but I’ve never tried before so that’s probably my lack of knowledge) laundry pool table video games swimming pool full bar restaurant that will deliver to your campsite! (I didn’t do it) If you’re going exploring the south side of st helens this is a great place to stay oh and they have cabins you can rent too. I recommend reservations. Cheers

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Colonial Creek Campground.

Campground Review: Colonial Creek Campground

Colonial Creek Campground, Diablo Lake Washington, is the prettiest place I've been to in Washington! Half the campground is reservation only, the other half is walk in. There is something like 176 total campsites, if I remember correctly. Each campsite is equipped with a large bear box, fire pit, picnic table and tent pad. The restrooms are large with flush toilets and sinks. There are no showers. Large bear proof trashcans, and water spigots are spread through each side of the campground. Thunder knob Trail starts on the south Campground and Thunder Creek trail is on the North campground. There is a fishing dock and a boat launch on the North campground. We stayed in site #15 which was great during the week. I felt this site offered zero privacy, the fire ring was positioned so you had to watch the road, the rest of the large site had a creek, but the trail went past our campsite, so a ton of people, familes, dogs, would all walk past our site. There is parking for the walk in sites right next to you, but those also take the trail. There is also nobody on the other side of you. So it gave a sense of privacy on a Wednesday, but not Friday-Sunday. At $16 a night, I felt it was great compared to other campsites. The beauty of this Campground and surrounding area is unparalleled. Would defiantly be back, but I would probably try for a more secluded site.

Ranger review: Icemule Cooler

As a ranger for the Dyrt, I sometimes get products in exchange for an honest review. Icemule coolers are perfection! This is the Large and it is huge! I was very surprised at the quality and size for the price. I love this cooler because it is super easy and comfortable to carry. No more big, heavy, bulky coolers to cart around. On this trip I used it as my main cooler. I froze 14 bottles of water to use as ice. I kept bacon, sausage, chicken, ground beef, hotdogs, butter, syrup and coffee creamer plus all the water bottles and soda in this bag. It was heavy, but held up to the challenge! It kept those bottles of water for 3 days before I had to buy ice. There is a compartment on the front for picnic supplies. I have also used this just as a dry bag. It's got great versatility and it even floats. I am 100% an Icemule cooler fan and recommend to anyone, whether a car camper or hiker, you will enjoy this cooler.

Point

3 non-reservable sites are available on Washington area preserve land. The path up to the sites is steep and slippery with loose dirt but there’s a rope to help out. Looks like they started to build steps, who knows if it will get finished. Not recommended for hauling myriad items up from kayaks. The restroom is a vault toilet that lacked toilet paper and was quite unsavory. We brought a couple rolls from Sucia to help out. During low side it is very rocky and tough on fiberglass kayaks, but there’s a small path that can launch one or two kayaks at a time. There’s a couple short paths to explore the area, and an epic view at the tip of the point. Best used for small groups and simple camping.

Nice site for DNR

Nice, quaint campground away from most other campers and is on DNR land. The campsites are nicely trimmed and easily accessible from the beach. Toilet is further up the trail and could use some work. 2/3 sites near the beach and a couple more further up the trail.

Heaven On Earth

My family has been going to this state park since before I was born and it never disappoints. Amazing views, lots to do and a wonderful place to spend some time. I look forward to going every year.

Quiet, clean and Shady

For a state park this was a little pricy. We found out it was about $15 more if you made a reservation. There are pull through and back in sites with ample room. Tables and fire rings at each site. It is a nice campground.

Sheltered from wind

We drove in from Montana on our way south down 101. This site was great for our truck camper. The key is getting a site that is further down the hill. The sites down the hill are further away from the road noise and provide a great view of the bay. Toilets and showers were all clean.

The lake was nice......

Well besides the fact that the camping is literally site on top of site. Unless you like camping looking down on your neighbors camp an arms reach away. ( insert eye roll ) and the one guy ranger who “didn’t have time to talk to us” simply about switching sites because we booked online. And was sandwiched in between two large family sites. Anyways we ended up being helped by a nice lady ranger who made time and even checked on us later to see if we were all good. After changing sites. The campground was pretty empty btw and wasn’t a big deal to switch. Spending the day on this lake was Amazing!!! Warm water they had paddle boards and kayaks to rent by phone so that was a plus. So three stars for the lake. Two for the nice ranger and one for camp site layout. Flushing toilets and pay showers available but Should be expected for $40 a night.

Lake access for all!

Love this camp ground! Quiet, clean, and almost every campsite has its own access to the lake. Some bigger than others but still a nice touch. Lots of little animals to watch. And hidden lake trail head is .5 miles from camp. Bathrooms were clean for the most part. But I was there during the week. Probably a different scene Friday and Saturday. So I’d suggest getting there early it’s first come first served.

Many great features.

Blu Shastin was a pretty nice find just a few minutes from popular Leavenworth and Cashmere WA. We got a decent full hookup site (67) that was backed up to the Peshastin river. Many sites have access and viewing of this small river and we really enjoyed the peaceful sounds. The park was clean and well maintained, and Dave the owner/manager was really friendly. They have nice sized pool, horseshoes, and a clubhouse with pool tables and a couple of video games. There is no store to speak of but they do sell ice and firewood until 7 PM. A couple of drawbacks… No Wi-Fi was available, although they say they have it. It is in a cell dead zone. We actually enjoyed being disconnected from the Internet etc. There are some “permanent residence“ sites that were pretty rundown/unsightly… If the pictures of those were posted on their website we would not have come. We did enjoy our stay and the staff was super friendly!

One of my new favorite places to stay anytime spring, summer or fall.

YOUR FAVORITE RESORT ON THE RIVER– FORKS, WA This is the most unique camping resort you will find anywhere in the northwest. We would like you to become part of its creative process as well. We invite every guest to help make this the most artistic and creative experience for anyone who has the opportunity to visit. Leave your creative touch and add to the beauty. Make a rock sculpture, build a driftwood bungalow, or hide something creative for all to find.With 2 permanent RVs and 4 campsites and 2 full RV hook up sites available. You can come for a romantic getaway as a couple, bring the family for a gathering, or rent the entire property for an event. The entire property will accommodate as many as 30 guests. Do you have a Family gathering, a Wedding, or maybe even want to hold a small music festival in the woods on the river. Do you need a band to play for your guests? How about surfing lessons. Maybe you have the need for a hiking guide. Do you have friends who would love a Craft workshop. We have so much to offer. Join us for the experience in Camping, Glamping, RV life, or the most Romantic getaway you can imagine. You won’t forget this adventure. This private gated property is located right on the Bogachiel River. Sandy beaches, rock hunting, the best fishing, and much much more. Only minutes from the Hoh Rainforest, Ruby Beach, and a short drive to the home of the Twilight movies. Forks Washington is a very scenic little Logging town made famous by the movies. The 37′ Holiday Rambler sleeps 4 to 5 and is very updated and comfortable. The 40′ double tip out sleeps 4 to 6, and both are under covered pole structures. With all amenities included we are constantly updating the property with new ideas and unique features. We would love your unique touch as well,

Decent place to camp.

Campground is okay when its not overly full with people. There is a bunch of awesome trails with beautiful surroundings for every level of hikers and if you can find your way to Porter Falls, you definitely wont be disappointed with the view!

Alpine campground near the highest passable road in Washington State

The road to Hart's pass is carved into the side of a mountain and NOT for the faint of heart. But once you're up there, the views are great. It was pretty smoky in August of 2018 from all the wildfires and the campground itself was burned through in the not too distant past (not sure when) but it is still a gorgeous spot. It is the kick off for the last leg of the PCT before Canada and the start of a nice backpack South to Rainy Pass.

There is little or no shade or privacy because of the lack of trees but the sites are fairly far apart.

Great place for star gazing!

Ranger Review: Red Ledge Rebel Rain Pant at Coriander Creek Farm

Campground review:

Coriander Creek Farm is located on a working farm, in a valley with beautiful mountainous hills surrounding. It is located in Skagit County, and is only about 4 miles away from Whatcom County.

The camp host, Mike, gave me a tour of the property when I arrived. There is an old(1910) barn that they are hoping to restore, lots of herbs his wife, Amy grows and sells, a swimming hole(it was too cold for me to try!) and lots of fields to explore. As well, they had chickens, dogs and goats.

The campsites themselves are spread out from each other. I had booked the Northside Campsite which was located at the end of one field. To note, I had to park at the barn and walk to my spot, which took a couple of minutes. The spot had a nice fire pit and a picnic table set up. I understand they move the picnic table to different campsites as they are booked. I was by the creek, though I couldn’t see it for the tall grass, but the grass was a welcome addition as it whispered in the breeze. My spot had a clear line of site to the farmhouse and the road, so there was some road noise. But when I consider the value(an amazingly affordable spot!), it was great.

The other two sites are more secluded. They are both closer to the farmhouse but out of view, one behind the grasses and near the swimming hole, the other behind a stand of trees. Both are larger and good for group camping. You will need to be able to walk to each site. They have a compost toilet for use up by the farmhouse, where, after using the toilet, you dump sawdust in to make it fresh.

When Mike was giving me the tour of the property, he explained about things they hope to develop on the farm like adding more campsites in the adjoining fields, getting the old bard on the Historic registry and even one day adding a salt bath. I’m hoping to go back and see what new things they have added!

I was very pleased with my stay. Mike and Amy are great hosts and I recommend checking Coriander Creek Farm out!

Product Review: As a Ranger for the Dyrt, from time to time I get to test products. At Coriander Creek Farm, I tested the Red Ledge Rebel Rain Pant. As you will see in my video review, I love these pants.

I want to start by saying the customer service with this company was above and beyond anything I had ever experienced before. Due to my own fault, I had chosen the wrong size pants. Red Ledge was incredibly quick to respond, to suggest ideas, and to get me the right pair of pants– and even followed up to make sure they worked. For that alone, I will be buying from them in the future. But there is more to why I love this company.

What I loved about camping with my Rebel Rain Pant. I have been wearing these rain pants over the last few weeks, in all sorts of conditions. Running, interval workouts. Biking, and even walking to work in the pouring rain. When I camped with these pants, it was a sunny day. But the next morning it was cloudy and there was condensation everywhere. They kept me nice and dry.

Here is what I have discovered:

1) They are comfortable. They work both over other pants(in my video I mention I am wearing them over jeans. I also pulled them on over my workout pants while wearing shoes and over my work pants) and remain comfortable even if you aren’t wearing pants underneath them.

2) They have a button at the bottom so that once you get them over your shoes you can adjust them.

3) They breathe. One of my runs it threatened rain but didn’t. I ran in these pants and I didn’t overheat or stick to them.

4) They are flexible. I have had no issues doing any physical exercise in these pants.

5) They keep me dry successfully. And– the outside dries super quickly. When I came into work when it was pouring rain, my pants were free of rain droplets much faster than my non Red-Ledge rain jacket. Looks like I know where I will be getting my next rain jacket.

Some details on the one I have: It is made of 4x4 stretch polyester, waterproof(including the rear pocket), snap adjust cuffs and elastic waist.

I really like these pants and would highly recommend checking out Red Ledge and all their gear.