The best camping in
Washington

2839 Reviews 1950 Campgrounds
Camping Washington

Exploring the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest means choosing between beaches and deserts, forests and volcanos, lakes and prairies. Camping in Washington is a chance to greet nature up close and sleep in some of the most beautiful land in North America. The biggest challenge? Deciding where to start.

The Cascade Mountains run down the center of Washington like a spine. A handful of highways cross the crest in parallel lines, all running from the evergreens of the west side to the wide open grasslands of the east. Camping in Washington is available along every route, like the state parks that dot I-90 and North Cascades National Park that hugs Highway 20.

Take Highway 2 over Stevens Pass to find old-growth trees around each spot at Money Creek Campground, plus a view of a classic metal train trestle. Fill each day with hikes through the Cascade forest, perhaps on a stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail where it passes the Stevens Pass Mountain Resort ski area. Head east of Stevens Pass to verdant Lake Wenatchee State Park for wooded campsites near the shores of a placid mountain lake and a stable inside the park offering trail rides through the summer. BYO kayak or rent one here.

Sometimes camping in Washington means getting off the beaten track to explore the quiet corners of the state. Take a forest road in Olympic National Park to find a green haven of mossy logs and curious chipmunks, or head north around Mount Baker, the Cascades’ northernmost volcano, for boat-in campsites around Baker Lake. In winter, the snowy expanse of Artist Point near Mount Baker' offers killer views of rugged glaciers for intrepid snow campers and backcountry skiers.

There are spectacular overnights to be had in the Pacific Northwest’s national and state parks, not to mention the remote U.S. Forest Service lands that blanket this corner of the country. Stock up on s’mores and firewood (when and where rules allow) and pitch a tent under the stars and go camping in Washington for the trip of a lifetime.

Recent Reviews in Washington
Good stop for a night!

This is a good campground to pitch your tent for a night, if you need a place to stay. The bathrooms and showers are clean and the patrons are pleasant.

I recommend picking a site away from the main road (Meridian, very noisy at most hours) and you should be a happy camper!

We only stayed overnight. Nice. Lots of places to walk my dogs.

This campgroud was spotless, quiet and beautiful.

Eastcreek is extremely quiet, impeccably maintained all the spaces are really spread out, so your neighbors aren’t right on top of you. It’s a beautiful campground with amazing natural scenery everywhere you look.

Closed

Road is currently closed, bummer.

Magical

I have camped here twice, once on upper campgrounds and most recently the lower loop. We stayed in #83 in the lower loop and loved it. Nice spacious site with our trailer and slightly wooded for privacy with a view of the water. The bathroom and shower facilities are clean and warm. Nice playground for kids and beaches to explore. Tons of old war bunkers as well. About 35 minutes to port Townsend for a good meal and shopping. Highly recommend this campground. Books up fast! Caution with the upper campground. We did tent camping in the summer and our site was completely dirt. We ended up very dusty and dirty and it was a little out of control and we just succumbed to being dirty and dusty. Not all sites are that way but if we had it to do over we would be more careful.

Gorgeous!

The Olympic National Park is one of my favorite places in Washington. There are so many great hikes nearby you don’t want to miss out! I think the best time to do is during the summer because the weather is the best this time of year. If you go in the spring there is still snow at some campgrounds and hiking areas. The fall is gorgeous here because of all the changing colors! Lillian Ridge Trail is amazing and a must do!! The views at the top are incredible. You’ll also see some wildlife- mountain goats and Pikas. We saw a cute little Pika family, with the little Pikas crying on a rock to their mother. We got the best weather in July, although it was VERY busy!! We did a few hikes nearby, all of which were full of people. Please look ahead if dogs are allowed or not. Highly recommend!

Great Hiking!

One thing I always look for when camping is great hikes nearby! The Chetwoot Campground has some great hiking nearby. There are some great campgrounds near Chetwoot, WA also. The campgrounds are clean and pretty good size. The campground is within the Olympic National Forest, so again there are great hikes! Most of them are not dog friendly, so make sure to look ahead and check before you go! Such a beautiful area, you don’t want to miss out. On one of the hikes we saw some mountain goats and lots of chipmunks. Highly recommend!!

Small Campground, good hiking

I honestly wasn't really sure what to expect when coming to this campground. It is pretty small, only has about 7 campsites. It also is a first come first serve campground. We didn't have any troubles getting a site, though, and there weren't very many people when we stayed the 2 nights there. We went because we wanted to do a few hikes around the area, which I definitely recommend. Make sure to bring everything you possibly need because the nearest town is Pomeroy, WA and they didn't really have many grocery shopping options. So get all your necessities beforehand! Pomeroy is about an hour away from the Teal Spring Campground. The area was really pretty- you get views of the Wenaha-Tucannon Wildernes and Tucannon drainage. It was quiet, and the weather was perfect. I would recommend this place, even though I felt like it took forever to get too! The hiking was fun!!

Can't complain - Quiet and Free!

Turkey Hole is actually an angler's water access site on the Klickitat River but we used it for a dispersed campsite in winter while enjoying the wine areas of the gorge & post skiing at Mt Hood. Since it is free (as of 2018 for up to 14 nights) I would guess it can become quite busy at certain times of the year. We visited in Feb on a cold snowy weekend and there was only one other camper. There is a bathroom there also, but no running water.

Location = Great Noise... not so great!

Maryhill State Park sits alongside the Columbia River making it a popular summer destination. We visit the most in February though when we do a Gorge winery tour for Valentines Day. The park is open year-round and we enjoy visiting in winter when we have the park nearly to ourselves. We have stayed in many sites, most often site#33. A word of caution- The railroad tracks are close to the campsites and trains go by throughout the night. If you are a light sleeper you may wish to bring earplugs!

When winter hookups are needed......

I am surprised to find how often we camp in the snowy winter months, empty campgrounds are a plus this time of year! Come summer you won't be able to get a reservation in this park, but in January it was wide open! We have stayed here for many years to enjoy the Chelan WinterFest Festival in January. The park is within walking distance of town and is perfect for the festival weekend. You may notice the pictures are of different trucks and campers as we have visited this park throughout the years! We have only stayed in this park once in the summer months, and that was for a skydiving visit. Good basic RV park style camping.

Kayaking Fun!

We arrived here on a Sunday night in May and the place was empty…… only one other camper and it was really far away. It is very remote, no services around and a little odd to get to, in that you have to wind past a lakeside"resort" with a little store and campsites that didn't look really very nice, yet there were people everywhere, it looked totally booked. Then you cross over the line into the campground where a$30 annual pass is required, yet the per night cost is$0 as of 2017, and there was nobody around! The campground is like a big open parking area with a boat launch and toilets and then there is also a little more dispersed sites where random fire pits have been built. We had our choice of sites so we picked one that sat away from others and was right above the water making the launch of the kayaks pretty easy.

Camp on the "Canyon" Edge

Just off I90 in Eastern WA at Vantage. This is primarily a rock climbers base camp, but also serves well for a great overnight stop where you can camp right on the edge of the canyon, get in some nice vista views,& a short hike to a"falls". You will share this spot with other campers, busy even in winter. One note about access, the entrance to this camping area has some pitch to it. Better suited for high clearance vehicles, and brave souls in truck campers……

Midweek Isolation

Just got back from another trip to Council Lake, WA. Arrived on a Tuesday and left on Thursday in the middle of November, and had the entire campground to ourselves. We didn't even have day use visitors or motorcycle riders pass through the whole time we were there.

The place was reasonably clean, with just a little trash left around some of the sites. Roads were still easy going, but it snowed maybe an inch the night before I arrived. And if my memory serves correct, I think they close the main access forest road NF 23 as soon as snow starts to accumulate.

Very clean

Will come back love it

Love it!

Had a wonderful stay! We were there the last weekend of the season. Will 100% be back when it is open again. We loved hiking around with our kids and roaming the beach exploring!

Fly fishing only

Great little lake to get away to and camp. Fly fishing only, quiet and great for kayaking. Nice trail along lake to a grove of old growth trees. Has pit toilet but no water, so bring your own.

A river runs through it.

Stayed in this campground on the last part of my first solo trip. I was a little anxious due to not having this site reserved ahead of time but I made it to the campground early and picked a suitable enough site for one night. The Rangers in the visitor center at the campground were super great. The site I ended up choosing was okay, but the site next to it kind of over run into my site, and the couple next to me too full advantage of that, so it left me slightly uncomfortable. Otherwise, the campground itself was clean and well maintained. The trails that lead out of the campground were great and branched off in every direct so I hiked in the area for an entire afternoon. I would potentially try to fins another campground in this area if I'm ever out that way again, but if nothing presented itself I would stay here again. The river being just down the bank from the campsite provided fantastic ambiance and white noise when bedtime rolled around, especially considering the other people in the sites next to mine were in very close proximity.

Across form the beach

I stayed in this campground mainly because I wanted to be near the beach, but also due to the easy of booking the site online. Traveling solo, booking in advance really helps. I was directly across the street(in the campground) from the beach. I could hear the sound of the waves all the time from my site. The campground was very clean, and spread out for the most part. The other sites were very visible from mine, but it wasn't a bother. The bathrooms, while there were no showers were very well kept, and maintained. The trails from the campground to hike around in were a little confusing, but still really nice once you got on the actual trail. The Kalaloch Lodge which was just down the road provided a much needed scenic breakfast to me on my last morning there.  I would most definitely stay here again should I return to the PNW.

Hike into

My first ever solo trip and of course, I chose as far away from home in the US I could. This campground was the first I visited, I loved the fact I could reserve it only months in advance through recreation.gov, which eased my anxiety of traveling alone. No worries about getting there and not having a site to stay on. I chose the hike to site because I wanted a challenge and I’d never stayed at a campground that offered hike to sites before. It was a pleasantly short walk to my site. Upon arrival I noticed the platform for my tent, a picnic table and a fire pit. The site was divided from he nearby sites with trees and bushes which was really nice. The trails around the campground were amazing, some went into the forest and some went into the small “vintage” town of Newhalem which I thought was very quaint and neat. Another path from the hike to sites was to the river which I could fairly hear from my tent. This campground was super nice and clean and if I ever go back to North Cascades again, I’ll more than like stay here again.

My go to campground

The campground is awesome. It's my go to camping spot when I need to get out of town. It has everything I need. It gets busy during or around holidays, but mid week or off season is perfect. The hosts are always friendly and it's always been clean.

Park like setting

Nice park like setting.

Quiet

Very quiet RV park. Not much privacy but gorgeous views. Walking distance to wine tasting and wonderful fruit stand.

Excellent base for exploring with bikes.

Clean,Safe, Dog on leash friendly, Laundry, Shower & complete hook-up.

Sommertime shade

Great for weekend getaways from Tri Cities. River access and plenty of shade. Discounts for vets and seniors.

Spacious Getaway

We just spent two nights cold weather camping here. It’s a beautiful quiet park with very spacious lots. There is not a lot to do besides hiking, but if you are looking for peace and quiet in the woods, this might be the ticket.

Full of fun things for kiddos

This is the kind of RV park that I like. Nice spots surrounded by grass, decent space between sites (not much, but enough), and most importantly, lots and lots of things for kiddos to explore. There's random trails, a playground, big green fields, volleyball court, etc. Plenty to keep them busy and felt completely comfortable letting them run around.

Everything is clean and well maintained. I like the central area better (closer to facilities). The camp is right off the freeway, but if you're back off the road there's not as much noise, though there's also a train that runs through on the far side. Overall, would definitely come back.

Clean, Basic, Cheap, Right on Freeway

Not really our style, since we travel with kids and are looking for things to do (trees, playgrounds, pools, etc.), but for what it is, this is a decently priced, clean, basic RV Park. I didn't get the same creepy feeling of long-timers staring at us when pulling up that I get at other parks, but rather it's nice people (mostly full-time RV retirees) who are here to stay for a week or a month and then move on to the next place.

Location is literally right on the freeway (back wall shares a wall with I-5). Plenty of noise, but not as bad as it could have been.

Compared to other places nearby, the price is great (about$35), and you're right in Vancouver and near Portland. I don't think we'd go back again since it's not our thing, but could be fine if cheap, convenient, and clean is what you're looking for.

Convenient Location. Clean, Basic, Nice

Flew in to the Bellingham airport, picked up a vehicle and arrived at Bellingham RV Park at about dusk (if you can't tell from the photos). Registration process was super-easy. Park felt safe and restrooms, area around the RVs were all very clean and homey.

Nothing amazing, but the location for what we needed at the time(close to the airport, close to El Monte RV) and a place to safely lay our heads was perfect. About$50/night, which, again, was what we needed at the time.

Also has a good amount of basic services nearby, including a gas station and 24-hour food. If we were in a similar situation and needed a place to safely sleep, we'd come

Nope nope nope

Too many full-timers for our vacationing/camping lifestyle. Lots of run-down RVs and cars that looked like they haven't moved in years. Satellite dishes, plastic toys, and other evidence of permanent living.

There's a store on-site, which is nice, and a small playground and dog area, but overall, this is not the kind of place I'd like to go to on a vacation. Feels much more like a sad trailer park.