the dyrt
Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, WISCONSIN
Most Recent Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest Camping Reviews
Chute Pond is my favorite place in the world.

I’ve been going here every year since for at least 10 years. The campsites are perfect, and there’s so many fun things to do. They have a little footbridge to fish off of, a playground, and a nice beach. You can rent out kayaks and little boats. There’s lots of hiking trails. One trail leads to a scenic overlook and another leads to slippery rock. Slippery Rock is a waterfall from the river that you can actually slide down. They also have a rock you can jump off as well into water. Also there’s a big pond where you can boat and swim and there’s a sandbar too. I love this place so much I got a tattoo of the coordinates.

ORV Love

This campground was really close to the silver lake sand dunes and a perfect place for us to stay while we were out there. This campground was quite the party campground and everyone there was riding bikes/atv's at the sand dunes. It was a fun place to stay. Their bathrooms were nice and well kept.

wooded get away

nice campground a lot like chute pond. nice sites all covered by trees. trails close by for short hikes.

shady trails

sites are nice, a lot of shade on most sites. some sites are harder to back into with long trailers. but over all sites have easy access. nice swimming area and hiking trails. slippery rock is a must see. fishing is also good for the outdoors men or women.

Beautiful Campground!

We had a wonderful stay. It was late in the season (last week in September). We pretty much had the campground to ourselves. Temps were cool but that was expected for this time of year. The fall colors were at peak!!

Clean

Very nice Campground that is clean. Bathroons very clean. We had a very large lot in the back of the park opposite the water. By the water it was very windy.

Rustic Quiet and Secluded, Everything a Camper Dreams For

I've camped at Franklin Lake many times now. It is a gorgeous campground that is literally in the middle of nowhere, and I love it. Loons are always on the lake. The water is crystal clear. The beach is great, but if you have a site on the lake you can walk in and swim right there! Amount other wildlife bear are in the area, which is a testament to how off the beaten path this campground is. Despite this there actually is a building with flush toliets! There are plenty of places to hike in the area, and we've even done a little fishing in the area. We saw decent sized fish in Franklin lake, but didn't end up being able to catch any. (We just fish for fun so nothing serious here, I'm sure the fishing is great for those that are in to it!) I am eager to make plans to get back to Franklin Lake. It is just such a beautiful spot. The stars at night are some of the best I've seen with so little light pollution up there. The camoground has always been quiet and there's a good distance between sites. I'm eager to camp here again!

Wooded Sites Along the Lake

Musky Lake Campground is a nice campground. We camped mid-late June and had a nice little trip. Here's the good and the bad.

The good:

A surplus of dragonflies means that mosquitos were NOT a problem. As someone who gets eaten alive this is important.

Deer are rampant in the area. The loons on the lake are the epitome of the north woods! I camp to enjoy wildlife, so this is a plus.

Nice hiking trails nearby. Numerous bike paths as well.

Large bathroom facility with flush toilets and showers.

The bad:

Sites are close together. I prefer a bit more privacy than they allow.

Lake access from the site is…existent at best. I was able to launch my inflatable kayak very carefully between the sticks and weeds, though I'm not sure anything bigger or heavier would be worth launching from the site.

No beach swimming areas for dogs. There's a dog friendly picnic area, but it is certainly no place to let your dog swim.This was disappointing. Many of the trails are also off limits for dogs which is beyond me, though this is unrelated to the actual campground I'm sure.

All in all Musky Lake is worth checking out. There is a nice human friendly beach at nearby (you can walk there) Crystal Lake. The location is good, not too far from civilization for those who like a grocery store nearby.The sites were level and had plenty of room for our 2 tents. This area has to be on your list if you are a bike rider! I felt out of place because everyone up there had their bikes, and I could see why.

Perfect Timing Memorial Day Weekend

We went rafting on the Wolf River and decided to camp at Boulder Lake. It was Memorial Day weekend and rainy, so there wasn't a lot of people camping. We drove around and picked out an amazing site, then reserved it on the spot. We were right on the lake and woke up to a cool view. Also woke up to someone snoring, and some loud ducks and frogs, but it was all good. lol Toilets and showers were clean, camp host was friendly. We drove quite a ways for firewood, but later found out we could've bought it someplace closer.

Great secluded getaway.

The cabins are large and the area is nice and secluded right on a lake. Swimming, boating, fishing, walking trails. Great family camping spot.

Good Experience

The campground is on the water and only a few minutes away from the dunes! The rates are reasonable. The trees provide great shade, but also attract mosquitos. Overall, it was a good experience and I would go back!

Slippery Rock!

I love this place I've been coming here since I was a very young child. My grandparents were from the town of Mountain. It will always have a nostalgic feel for me so it'll always receive five stars. But the last few times I've gone there people were taking so many panfish out of the lake at such small sizes it was hard to find large panfish like I remember as a child.

Get Away & Relax

Found this beautiful campground while exploring the lakes in the area. We had an awesome campsite with access to the lake right from our site. Spent several hours kayaking & fishing on Boot Lake, along with several other lakes in the area.

Be sure to get you firewood & ice in town, as there is none available in the campground.

Beautiful Beach Camping

We stayed for a week in the Indian Mounds loop camground. This site is a few miles from the camp registration but worth it. There is a paved bike path through the woods all the way to the registraion area. We arrived at our campsite, unloaded the bikes, then proceeded to ride to check in. However, this is easily driveable as well. This is one of my favorite campgrounds for our lifestyle. Several of the most desired sites are on the water. These are particularly great because we can park our boat right at our site, they face west for sunsets, and the beach is absolutely perfect. The campground is on a large chain of lakes. I recommend heading into the town of Minocqua for shopping or just a night on the town. Hiking/biking trails are very close by. In fact,some of the best ones are right next to 5e camp registration. The lake is one of the cleanest ive ever been on. Campmsites are reasonably far from each other for privacy. Two swiming beaches are within a 2 minute walk from all camsites. Keep in mind, this review is onlynfor the indian mounds loop.

Secluded Hideaway

We stayed at the Heron's Retreat campsite on the Caldron Fall Reservoir. We checked in at the Gov. Thompson State Park headquarters then launched our canoe from the boat launch at the state park. From there it was a short 1 mile paddle to our campsite on the northside of the lake. This site was wooded, with many tall trees which gave great shade, and also spots for hammocks. A fire ring and grate were included along with a picnic table and two chairs.

Bathrooms consisted of a pit toilet on site, about 40 yards back into the woods along a path.

This was our first time in "bear country" so we found trees to hang our food and garbage from to keep from attracting wildlife at night. Many downed trees provided enough firewood that we needed for the couple of days we were there.

The lake had very little boat traffic considering it was a holiday weekend when we stayed. This is definitely a site to consider if you are seeking seclusion as the next nearest campsite is a half mile paddle away.

Stay away from ticks in May

Beautiful Lakes secluded areas and a crazy amount of ticks in May. This could be why we were the only people in our loop of the campground so early in the season. sprayed the entire site with Apple cider vinegar to try to keep the ticks off the dogs.I deal site is number 26. Lots of geocaches in the park to keep us busy.

Loads to do around

This Campground has a nice shower house, a pool and good size sites just be careful if you want to be and what it states to specifically ask for them. A train runs next to the campground but only comes through periodically we were there a week and only saw it twice. Tons to do up here waterfalls caves and the iron mine tour

Good for young kids

This Campground has a very party Atmosphere. They have immature trees but has updated the plumbing and have built a new clubhouse. They have a trips to tube down the river the ideal site for us who likes a secluded area Is site number 44.

Awesomeness

Beautiful and well worth the drive! Prepare for it to be packed on the weekends, but week day camping is pretty serene. Since Watersmeet is a VERY small town, groceries and other essentials are costly, so come already packed.

Christian family camping at its best

this is a wonderful place offering programs for families, teens, couples, etc. lots of organized activities to choose from, family style dining (you don’t even need to worry about food), and a beautiful secluded setting.

Hi Pines meets expectations

Visit was ok and did meet expectations. They do have a great bike path that's maybe.5mi. Pond toys and inflatables

We love it!

We chose this campground on a whim since we wanted to be near Lakewood where I would spend summers as a kid. We love this place and ended up choosing it for both of our camping trips last summer. We in fact got the same exact site and it’s our favorite anyway. This campground is pet friendly- We took our bulldog camping with us. We checked out the beach and it was very accessible. The showers , Bathrooms and Vault Toilets were all clean. We did enjoy the hiking on the campground but there were some parts that were a little overgrown. Overall we love this place and it’s our go to!

Quiet and family friendly

This summer was our 3rd visit to Pentoga Park. There are a lot of RV's at this campground. We have a tent.

Make your reservations far in advance. Like January 1st for that spring, summer or fall. The campground is within walking distance to beautiful Chicagoan Lake. Onsite laundry and small camp store. Not a lot of privacy in the campground. Most people are in RV's so that's not an issue. Great for camping with other families.

For those who don't camp, but want to be a part of daily activities, there is a hotel nearby.

our favorite

this has been one of our favorite campgrounds over the past couple years. loop a is nice and wooded and private. the bigger loop has sites pretty close together. nice beach and lake. hiking trails and playground.

Semi Private Campsites

Campground was well maintained. When we arrived there was no one working the check in station however we were able to use the phone provided and get checked in to our site. Campground is on a lake and there is a nice hiking trail around the island. The site we stayed in was surrounded by trees giving us some privacy. The only thing I was not satisfied with was the fact that the bathroom smelled like cigarette smoke, there was however a no smoking sign posted.

Easy canoe camping for the beginner

Loved my first experience at canoe camping. We did it the easy way, loaded our canoe, crossed the lake to our campsite and set up camp. No portaging with our gear.

We rented our canoe and and a bear barrel from the Sylvania Outfitters, and they dropped the canoe off lakeside for us.

It was very peaceful and we didn't see any other people except when we were on the lake canoeing.

No Privacy

If you like a private, quiet campground this is not for you. Extremely small sites with very little foliage to provide privacy. We could easily carry on a conversation with surrounding sites. However if you're looking for a group site they do have a nice one that can accommodates a Rv and tents. It is located on Morgan lake with non-motorized boating. The approximate 4 mile ride in to campsites is gravel. Sadly we would not go back here.

Love this place!

We have been camping here twice this year & absolutely love it! Rustic with no electric hook-ups. There is a pump for drinking water. The sites are large & private with a few waterfront sites. Vault toilets are available. The lake has a swimming area & beautiful Sandy beach & is perfect for fishing, swimming and kayaking. Laona is just a short drive for gas, and food.

Scenic and well maintained

We tent camped at RV site 1 and found it to be a really great space. It was far enough away from the other RVs and really close to the boat dock. There was a great path to the lake to see the frogs. The boat dock was a quick walk to sprawl out and watch the stars. The host seemed to keep the establishment in tip top condition. We had just one night but found the fire pit and amble space to be very welcoming and great.

Rustic area with beautiful lake access.

This is a nice campground on a clean lake perfect for swimming. Rustic without water or electricity. Vaulted toilets (4). This was our first time camping here but we definitely plan on going back. The sites are large and a few have lake shore access perfect for non-motorized boating/kayaking. The only thing that could've been better is the amount of privacy between sites.