Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, WISCONSIN
Most Recent Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest Camping Reviews
Pretty awesome

Host was very accommodating when we needed to plug in our boat. The moss-covered old growth forest provided an excellent tent site & entertained our 2 boys under 8 until they tired. The swimming area Was under kept but we still enjoyed all day. Overall our Saturday- Monday visit was very pleasing.

Great family campground

We visit our family up at shakey lakes campground every summer! They have a permanent site along with several other family members. It is RV and tent friendly. There’s an ice cream/ food stand on the beach, and a playground. People either will walk or ride their bikes around the sites. There is parking for your cars, and places to keep kayaks and water toys! The views are beautiful but not much privacy if you’re looking for that. There are tons of campsites to choose from but they fill up fast! Overall a great campground!

Superb

This rustic campground although a little off the beaten path, what a great place to get the family together. Very quiet and super clean. Several out buildings like a changing room at the beach/day use area and a communal grilling station for those summer bbqs.

Great place to stay

Very small and quiet campground. We stayed in a cabin that was small and reasonably priced. The river is only a 5 min hike from the camp ground. The showers and bathroom facility were clean. If I am ever stopping by I would stay here again. Perfect place to stay when going through town.

Great for Families and a weekend getaway!

I grew up about 10 minutes away from this campground and it is still an awesome place to go when we are looking for a “staycation”!

It’s right by an elementary school so it’s a very safe area, across the road from an AMAZING playground that all ages will love, also about 50ft from a beach! The beach isn’t huge, and is open to the public so at times it gets crowded but is very safe and clean. The beach is on the peshtigo river and is great for kayaking, paddle boarding, boating, jet skiing, and tubing! There is a boat launch less than half a mile towards town on the river that is open to the public! Also includes a skatepark!

There also are two pavilions on parks grounds, both covered. One is smaller on the beach and includes grills and tables, and the other one has a stage on it for performances!

This campground is a mix between RV’s and tenting so you get the best of both worlds! Forget some necessities? No Worries! You’re a 10 minuet drive from Walmart and within walking distance of a cafe and gas stations! There are bathrooms, water hook ups, picnic tables, fire pits, and parking.

(I unfortunately do not have any recent pictures because I lost all of them but google really does a great job of showing what I’m talking about!)

Quiet woods

Located down a quiet paved road just 2 miles outside of town. You are close to the action but dont have to listen to it.

Some sites are tight/close and others you could turn around in. Most are fairly level or it doesnt take much to make your camper level. Very little grass at site but you get a picnik table and a fire pit. Wood must be bought at the store but pay attention to the hours as they close early. Plenty of mosquitoes but you are in the woods. Daytime they arent too bad.

Bathrooms were very clean.

Full hookups, no wifi or at least we couldnt find it. Dogs are welcomed , no barking allowed. Cell phone service was good so you can work if you have too. AT&T and Verizon.

Passport America discount honored for 7 days and Coast to Coast.

Plenty of rules but we will have this on our return list.

Unique experience

I’m giving this place 5 stars because of how unique it is. Even if you don’t have an off-road vehicle yourself you can rent one and drive on the sand dunes. Would definitely drive cautiously because the dunes are constantly patrolled.

Wide open spaces

Nice play parks for kids but tenting is in a field with no privacy. Close to town and the chain of lakes.

Great State park!

Big sites, paved roads, nice camp store, beach area is so so, but the multiple lakes and canal are awesome. We try to get to this park once a year.

Short secluded hike in sites

The hike to these sites is very short. We paid when we parked. It’s a great place to camp if you want to experience being in the woods for the first time. We stayed on the south loop which has 6 sites. The sites still feel very secluded and private. There is a fire ring and picnic table at each site. There is no bear box and there definitely are bears (during one camping trip some hunters treed and shot a bear in the early morning and we saw them carrying it while hiking out) so you’ll want to hang your food. There was access to the lake from our campsite.

Beautiful views of Lake Superior

Great park with beautiful views of Lake Superior great facilities. We were there when the simple berries were ripe can pick them right off the bushes all over the park. Great place to stay while exploring the Porcupine Mountains. Swim area right outside of park enterance.

Nice park with native american history, loads of activities: horseshoes, water rafts, store, tetherball

Camped here as a kid growing up, beautiful place, lots of wildlife, couple hiking trails. A good rustic experience.

Home away from home

My father came here with his family growing up and brought us kids for the last 20+ years. Three different generations have seen this place and it will continue to be passed down. There are several different campground spaces that are all different. Some provide camper access, walk in private access and water access. Cunard Lake allows non motorized watercrafts and has a great swimming area. You will wake up to the sound of loons and go to bed with the sound of them.

Favorite campground ever

Busy on the weekends, but empties out during the week. Amazing lake to swim in, beautiful quite hikes. Great showers and bathrooms. We go every year, and we always come back to Bewabic!

Chute Pond is my favorite place in the world.

I’ve been going here every year since for at least 10 years. The campsites are perfect, and there’s so many fun things to do. They have a little footbridge to fish off of, a playground, and a nice beach. You can rent out kayaks and little boats. There’s lots of hiking trails. One trail leads to a scenic overlook and another leads to slippery rock. Slippery Rock is a waterfall from the river that you can actually slide down. They also have a rock you can jump off as well into water. Also there’s a big pond where you can boat and swim and there’s a sandbar too. I love this place so much I got a tattoo of the coordinates.

ORV Love

This campground was really close to the silver lake sand dunes and a perfect place for us to stay while we were out there. This campground was quite the party campground and everyone there was riding bikes/atv's at the sand dunes. It was a fun place to stay. Their bathrooms were nice and well kept.

wooded get away

nice campground a lot like chute pond. nice sites all covered by trees. trails close by for short hikes.

shady trails

sites are nice, a lot of shade on most sites. some sites are harder to back into with long trailers. but over all sites have easy access. nice swimming area and hiking trails. slippery rock is a must see. fishing is also good for the outdoors men or women.

Beautiful Campground!

We had a wonderful stay. It was late in the season (last week in September). We pretty much had the campground to ourselves. Temps were cool but that was expected for this time of year. The fall colors were at peak!!

Clean

Very nice Campground that is clean. Bathroons very clean. We had a very large lot in the back of the park opposite the water. By the water it was very windy.

Rustic Quiet and Secluded, Everything a Camper Dreams For

I've camped at Franklin Lake many times now. It is a gorgeous campground that is literally in the middle of nowhere, and I love it. Loons are always on the lake. The water is crystal clear. The beach is great, but if you have a site on the lake you can walk in and swim right there! Amount other wildlife bear are in the area, which is a testament to how off the beaten path this campground is. Despite this there actually is a building with flush toliets! There are plenty of places to hike in the area, and we've even done a little fishing in the area. We saw decent sized fish in Franklin lake, but didn't end up being able to catch any. (We just fish for fun so nothing serious here, I'm sure the fishing is great for those that are in to it!) I am eager to make plans to get back to Franklin Lake. It is just such a beautiful spot. The stars at night are some of the best I've seen with so little light pollution up there. The camoground has always been quiet and there's a good distance between sites. I'm eager to camp here again!

Wooded Sites Along the Lake

Musky Lake Campground is a nice campground. We camped mid-late June and had a nice little trip. Here's the good and the bad.

The good:

A surplus of dragonflies means that mosquitos were NOT a problem. As someone who gets eaten alive this is important.

Deer are rampant in the area. The loons on the lake are the epitome of the north woods! I camp to enjoy wildlife, so this is a plus.

Nice hiking trails nearby. Numerous bike paths as well.

Large bathroom facility with flush toilets and showers.

The bad:

Sites are close together. I prefer a bit more privacy than they allow.

Lake access from the site is…existent at best. I was able to launch my inflatable kayak very carefully between the sticks and weeds, though I'm not sure anything bigger or heavier would be worth launching from the site.

No beach swimming areas for dogs. There's a dog friendly picnic area, but it is certainly no place to let your dog swim.This was disappointing. Many of the trails are also off limits for dogs which is beyond me, though this is unrelated to the actual campground I'm sure.

All in all Musky Lake is worth checking out. There is a nice human friendly beach at nearby (you can walk there) Crystal Lake. The location is good, not too far from civilization for those who like a grocery store nearby.The sites were level and had plenty of room for our 2 tents. This area has to be on your list if you are a bike rider! I felt out of place because everyone up there had their bikes, and I could see why.

Perfect Timing Memorial Day Weekend

We went rafting on the Wolf River and decided to camp at Boulder Lake. It was Memorial Day weekend and rainy, so there wasn't a lot of people camping. We drove around and picked out an amazing site, then reserved it on the spot. We were right on the lake and woke up to a cool view. Also woke up to someone snoring, and some loud ducks and frogs, but it was all good. lol Toilets and showers were clean, camp host was friendly. We drove quite a ways for firewood, but later found out we could've bought it someplace closer.

Great secluded getaway.

The cabins are large and the area is nice and secluded right on a lake. Swimming, boating, fishing, walking trails. Great family camping spot.

Good Experience

The campground is on the water and only a few minutes away from the dunes! The rates are reasonable. The trees provide great shade, but also attract mosquitos. Overall, it was a good experience and I would go back!

Slippery Rock!

I love this place I've been coming here since I was a very young child. My grandparents were from the town of Mountain. It will always have a nostalgic feel for me so it'll always receive five stars. But the last few times I've gone there people were taking so many panfish out of the lake at such small sizes it was hard to find large panfish like I remember as a child.

Get Away & Relax

Found this beautiful campground while exploring the lakes in the area. We had an awesome campsite with access to the lake right from our site. Spent several hours kayaking & fishing on Boot Lake, along with several other lakes in the area.

Be sure to get you firewood & ice in town, as there is none available in the campground.

Beautiful Beach Camping

We stayed for a week in the Indian Mounds loop camground. This site is a few miles from the camp registration but worth it. There is a paved bike path through the woods all the way to the registraion area. We arrived at our campsite, unloaded the bikes, then proceeded to ride to check in. However, this is easily driveable as well. This is one of my favorite campgrounds for our lifestyle. Several of the most desired sites are on the water. These are particularly great because we can park our boat right at our site, they face west for sunsets, and the beach is absolutely perfect. The campground is on a large chain of lakes. I recommend heading into the town of Minocqua for shopping or just a night on the town. Hiking/biking trails are very close by. In fact,some of the best ones are right next to 5e camp registration. The lake is one of the cleanest ive ever been on. Campmsites are reasonably far from each other for privacy. Two swiming beaches are within a 2 minute walk from all camsites. Keep in mind, this review is onlynfor the indian mounds loop.

Secluded Hideaway

We stayed at the Heron's Retreat campsite on the Caldron Fall Reservoir. We checked in at the Gov. Thompson State Park headquarters then launched our canoe from the boat launch at the state park. From there it was a short 1 mile paddle to our campsite on the northside of the lake. This site was wooded, with many tall trees which gave great shade, and also spots for hammocks. A fire ring and grate were included along with a picnic table and two chairs.

Bathrooms consisted of a pit toilet on site, about 40 yards back into the woods along a path.

This was our first time in "bear country" so we found trees to hang our food and garbage from to keep from attracting wildlife at night. Many downed trees provided enough firewood that we needed for the couple of days we were there.

The lake had very little boat traffic considering it was a holiday weekend when we stayed. This is definitely a site to consider if you are seeking seclusion as the next nearest campsite is a half mile paddle away.