Joshua Tree National Park, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Joshua Tree National Park

Most Recent Joshua Tree National Park Camping Reviews
Get some sleep in your A/C

Barstow is a good mileage stop between Las Vegas and SoCal. The campgrounds are pretty quiet with only a little road noise (surprisingly, due to its proximity to the highway) and very easy to access. The Sites aren’t very private, being so close together but there are small bushes that offer some semblance of separation. The gravel pads are a bit different than most KOAs and don’t create that fine white dust, which is a plus. The full hookups worked well but there is no Wi-Fi and all amenities were closed aside from laundry and bathrooms (neither that we used). Pool was closed due to construction on it. The town doesn’t offer much in the way of amenities. You can grab some food at the diner across the street or head to the Calico Ghost Town 3 miles up The road. The biggest draw here is the electricity to keep your A/C running in the high temps.

Stunning Simplicity

A bit rough for our campervan, but worth the ride! Hidden back in white limestone hills, this little gem is not very busy. Campsites have shaded tables and are set a bit farther apart. Vault toilets that were very clean. No water. Great hikes into the hills.

Clean, neat, spacious sites

Under new management

Great place to camp.

Very clean and well maintained, roads are in a little rough shape but overall a wonderful place to camp.

Love This Gem!

This place is great. Its about halfway between LA and Vegas and only 10 minutes off the 15. I arrived close to 1AM on a Friday and didn't have any trouble getting a prime spot. I originally was planning my trip to a different campground but that was full by the time I got there. Afton Canyon was within an hours drive from my original spot and I had it saved as a place I wanted to go on the The Dyrt. We took a chance at midnight and how fruitful it was. 10 minutes off the 15 lies a small campground tucked behind a beautiful trestle. Some trains come by at night and look amazing. The noise from the trains are actually quite soothing. It is located in one of the only areas where the Mojave River is above ground and is close the Mojave 4x4 Off-road trail. There are some great hikes nearby and beautiful views. The campsites have shaded structures grills and big fire pits. Afton Canyon will now be another go to site for me.

Calico is an old silver mining town in the desert

There are 253 different sites. There are primitive sites, only electric sites as well as full hook up sites. Section A came with the full hookup, I saw mainly large class A RVs parking there, probably came for a longer time. I took a space in camp B with only electricity, which is enough for me and my Class B. Basically when you drive to the gate, they tell you to go inside and pick a place for yourself, the ranger will come and collect the fee later. I liked that.

The bathrooms and the park is clean, it has paid showers. Park admissions are also included for both days in your nightly camping fee. The town itself has many little tours that they charge extra for. I only tried the train ride. The ranger was around all day and at night, security took over. I visited in February and it was perfect weather to stay outdoors all day, however, in the summer camping, there might be too hot. I did not see many shaded areas.

If you don’t go when there is a big event there it will be peaceful and quiet. It can get crowded and dirty when there are special events going on there, Halloween or New Years Eve.

clean campsite

Nice campground with clean bathrooms.  Tons of 4 wheel trails nearby. Shooting allowed on BLM land nearby as well.  Its desert so avoid during summer!

Unsafe playground

We decided to stop here that the kids can play on the playground and jumping pad. The playground is 100ft from the Interstate 15. Some parts are dangerous to play, especially the swing. That needs absolutely immediate maintenance. The jumping pad is only allowed to use if the parents sign a waiver. At the morning we got the information it’s only open between 3-5pm. At 3pm it wasn’t inflated and we got the answer it’s closed due to winter. We have currently 65 degrees by sky clear no wind. The bathrooms are older, but clean and ok. The spots itself are mostly pull through and with gravel. So it was the worst experience for a KOA Campground. If you want that your kids playing on an unsafe playground next to the freeway you are right here.

Awesome

We got here after dark, super easy to navigate, even in the dark! The camp sites were huge, with concrete fire pit & picnic table included. Bathrooms easily accessible to all campers, and close to all campsites. The train tracks were about 300 yards from where we stayed, noise was minimal and actually a very cool site when the trains passed. Looking forward to coming back to camp again!

A nice bit of green in the desert

I used to go here a lot as a kid, both for RV camping and fishing. It's an interesting area, as a rockbed forces the normally underground Mojave River to the surface here, meaning that this is one of the only parts of the river to flow above ground year round. As a result, a small forest of Cottonwood trees abounds, which are the only native tree to this area. The lakes are nice, there are mountain views, and some cool hikes to explore in the riverbed area. It's a green Oasis in the desert, spring is probably the best time to go as it can get very hot in summer and very cold in winter. I do miss the houses, cows, and camels that use to be housed in the stables.