Austin, TEXAS

Most Recent Austin Camping Reviews
Great park

Good location. Has Tiny houses mixed in with RVs. Lots of trees and shade. Great people. We really enjoyed this park.

Devils Waterhole

We were able to get a camp site side by side with our son and family. This was an awesome camp site and camp grounds! We saw a few deer also rented a double kayak and canoe to paddle to the Devils waterhole. This is a must do if you camp there. It was July in Texas so hit was extremely hot, but still had a great time!

Inks Lake site #81

Great shade and easy walk 2 minute walk to facilities.   On a horseshoe loop with privacy from other sites.  Electricity and water at site and facilities are very clean.  The site backs up to a small creek so I can see mosquito issues when raining but it was dry when we camped with no real issues.

Russell Park + Trees + Trail + Lake

This is a review of the established campsites at Russell Park along the San Gabriel River Trail. Reservations for campsites can be made through (877) 444-6777 or www.recreation.gov.

These are drive up campsites where you may park your car next to your assigned site. The campsites have a sun awning, picnic table, campfire pit/grill. Russell Park has 27 tent-only sites with no utilities. Check-in time for reservations is 3 pm and check-out time is 2pm. There is a designated swimming area within the campground.

One of the advantages of this park is that it sits along the San Gabriel River Trail. The trail circles Lake Georgetown and is 26.2 miles. It passes through forests, grasslands, over some small hills and across a few tributaries. I'd say that 40% of the trail has some tree coverage, but 60% is exposed. In the summer be aware that the combination of the temperature and the exposure makes this trail uncomfortable to hike. Take precautions, drink lots of water and stay in the shade all that you can. While you are walking within site of Lake Georgetown, it is not always convenient to access the water. So carry plenty of water.

The trail is getting more and more popular with backpackers, so it is likely that you may see others on the trail. On weekends you may encounter scout troops practicing. During the weekdays you may not see a single person. Dogs are allowed on the trail, but it is nice to keep them on lease.

Sawyer Park Primitive Campsites

This is a review of the Sawyer Park primitive (dispersed) campsites along the San Gabriel River Trail. There are no facilities or amenities are this campsite. Leave No Trace principals should be practiced.

Upon entering one of the access points, park your car for free near the trailhead. It is good to advise one of the park administers that you will be hiking or place a note inside your car that you are hiking.

The Sawyer Park site is only accessible by hiking or by a boat. It is about 5 miles from the Tejas Campground and 5 miles from Cedar Breaks Campground. This is primitive (dispersed) camping. There are a few areas with clear land or tent pads where you may camp. But there are also zones where you may simply camp wherever you can setup a tent or hammock. There is an old latrine at this site, but it is in poor shape and no-one really uses it. Be prepared to dig a cat hole.

Many people stay at this site while hiking the San Gabriel River Trail. The trail circles Lake Georgetown and is 26.2 miles. It passes through forests, grasslands, over some small hills and across a few tributaries.

In the summer be aware that the combination of the temperature and the exposure can make this trail uncomfortable to hike. Take precautions, drink lots of water and stay in the shade all that you can. While you may be hiking within site of Lake Georgetown, it is not always convenient to access the water. So carry plenty of water while hiking - at least 2 liters.

The trail is getting more and more popular with backpackers, so it is likely that you may see others on the trail. On weekends you may encounter scout troops practicing backpacking. During the weekdays you may not see a single person. Dogs are allowed on the trail, but it is nice to keep them on lease.

San Gabriel River Trail + Lake

This is a review of the primitive (dispersed) campsites along the San Gabriel River Trail.

Upon entering one of the access points, park your car for free near the trailhead. It is good to advise one of the park attendants that you will be hiking or place a note inside your car that you are hiking.

This is prmitive (dispersed) camping. There are no facilities or amenities are these camp areas. Pack in some water and bring a water filter to obtain more. Leave No Trace principals should be practiced.

There are a few areas with tent pads or clear areas where you may camp. But there are also zones where you may simply camp wherever you can setup a tent or hammock.  I'd say that 40% of the trail has some tree coverage, but 60% is exposed.

In the summer be aware that the combination of the temperature and the exposure can make this trail uncomfortable to hike. Take precautions, drink lots of water and stay in the shade all that you can. While you may be hiking within site of Lake Georgetown and the water, it is not always convenient to access the water. So be sure to carry plenty of water - at least 2 liters.

Dogs are allowed on the trail, but it is nice to keep them on lease.

Hip DT Austin RV Park

Great place to stay in DT Austin. Close to DT and lots of great food/coffee nearby. I only stayed for a night but want to come back for a little longer.

Nice RV Park

Large spots, comfortable and clean. Great place on your way to Houston.

It’s a great find along the highway. Clean and nice spots. It’s great for staying on your way to Austin.

A place to sleep...

It’s a place to sleep. That’s all it really has going for it. Noisy and dirty. It’s more of a long term place.

Blanco State Park + River Access + Town + Lots of RVs

Blanco State Park is kind of an interesting park. It is located within the city of Blanco, Texas. It is a small park with the main attraction being that it is located on the Blanco River, thus there is river access.

If you need any supplies there are two grocery store in the town of Blanco. There is also a cute little town square with a couple of nice restaurants. We ate at the Redbud Cafe and it was great.

We arrived at the park after the sun had set. We entered the park, crossed over a bridge  and found our campsite on a loop road. I would say that most of the other campsites were filled with RVs. I suppose that if you have an RV and like having the conveniences of a town nearby this might be the campground for you.

Our group was camping in tents and hammocks so we found the campground a bit unusual. There were tent pads to set up tents and plenty of trees to hang some hammocks. In addition, there was a parking spot, water, electricity, open space, picnic table, sun awning and grill. There were restrooms nearby our campsite. I would say that the restrooms could stand an update.

The main attraction of this park is that it is located on the banks of the Blanco River. We were able to hike, swim and explore the river downstream from the main park.

I'd say if you were looking for peace and quiet in a natural setting, this may not be the best option. If you're looking for an RV campground with access to a river and a town, then this might be perfect for you.

Beautiful sunsets

I have stayed at this campground several times. The campground is well-maintained with spacious sites. Many of the sites are wooded. Each site has a shelter with a concrete base. The sites have water and electric. The shower and toilet facilities are OK but not great. The site that I had most recently had a beautiful western view over the lake and I enjoyed several beautiful sunsets.

Almost a five star

I have stayed at this campground four r or five times in the past several years. The campsites are of more than adequate size for comfort. The lakefront spots have a very nice view and the others are tucked nicely in amongst the trees. They have very nice shelters with concrete foundations at each site. The sites all have water and electric connections.

Peaceful and spacious

I have stayed at this campground numerous times over the past several years. The sites on the water are quite nice and very spacious. I would have rated this campground higher but, if you are relying on the showers, be aware that they are cold water and open air. The RV spots do have water and electric. Be aware that some are 30 amp and some are 20 amp.

Austin TX!

EZ fun Austin stop. Cute friendly donkeys !

Great find outside Austin

Great spot to camp outside of Austin. Tent spots are $10 and $10 per car. RVs are $25 on the water. Right on the river and definitely refreshing to jump in on a hot day. The campsites are primitive so if you don’t need electric and have water you’ll be set.

Nice but small

Beautiful little park with all the fixings of a larger campground. Large nice camping spaces, but leaves much to be desired in the hiking category. We heard about this park from friends and decided to make a weekend trip and check it out. If you’re looking for a place to just kick back and relax, this place isn’t to shabby. The only real issue was the highway noise from the road that runs right next to the park. Great little swimming areas though.

Ranger Review: Wenzel Shenanigan 5 Teepee Tent at Inks Lake State Park

What could be better than camping lakeside during the summer?

Maybe camping lakeside in a teepee! I'll get to that later.

Campground Review:

Some friends and I decided to go on a little camping trip this summer.

I've found that it's always beneficial to camp near shade and water in the summer when temperatures are at a peak. I searched TheDyrt.com for a suitable campground. Once I found Inks Lake State Park, I realized that we could camp near the lake and have easy access to the water. I searched around a little bit until I found what I thought might be the perfect campsite - site #304. Unfortunately #304 was reserved, but #303 was available. The site offered shade and access to the water. Done.

We set out for the park after work on a Friday. We stopped along the way to have dinner in the town of Burnet at a cool little cafe called Bill's Burgers, Wings and Things. The food was great and the atmosphere was festive. If you need to pick up supplies or groceries, there are supermarkets in the town of Burnet.

We arrived at our campsite somewhat late at 7:30pm, so we quickly set up camp.

Inks Lake State Park is a nice park nestled in the hill country of Texas. It is a short one hour drive from Austin. The park has a variety of facilities and activities for just about everyone. The main attractions of this park are the lake, the hiking trails and the Devil's Waterhole. From our campsite we could access the lake for paddling or fishing. We could also access the hiking trail that passes around the lake. There were brand new bathroom facilities at the park and they were some of the nicest bathrooms that I've ever seen at a campground.

We went for a hike on one of the trails. There are some unique rock formations in the park called gneiss. While hiking among the gneiss it feels like you're on another planet.

One of the highlights of the trip was visiting the cove within the park called the Devil's Waterhole. We brought tubes to float in and chill in the water. I’ve always found that this is the best way to beat the heat in the summer. There is one side of the cove in which people climb the banks up to a rock outcropping to jump into the water below. There are some outcroppings 10 feet above the water, 20 feet and 30 feet. I jumped off the 20 foot high cliff and touched the bottom, so I didn't jump off the 30 feet cliff. It is fun jumping and it is entertaining watching others jump.

There's a little of something for everyone at Inks Lake State Park.

Product Review of Wenzel's Shenanigan 5 Teepee Tent

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, from time to time I am provided products to test. For this outing I was provided a Wenzel Shenanigan 5 Teepee Tent. Weeeeeee!

For more info: https://wenzelco.com/shenanigan-5/

We arrived at our campground somewhat late in the evening at 7:30pm. Luckily we were able to quickly and easily set up our new Wenzel Shenanigan teepee tent.

Basically, all we had to do was to find a flat clear area, spread out the tent, stake in the 6 stakes and then place on end of the included pole into the top of the tent and the bottom of the pole into a fastener in the bottom of the tent. And the tent was ready.

I'd say that this is one of the best features of this tent - it is so easy to setup.

Another benefit is that it is so fun. Weeeeee. Who wouldn't want to hangout in a teepee tent? The tent is available in your choice of two color patterns - blue or red. I chose the blue. It makes we want to smile every time that I see it.

The tent is a single wall tent. I believe that the material is treated for weather protection, but I wouldn't say that it is built for extreme rain or weather. It does have some nice ventilation options with a vented door, 3 windows, 2 ceiling vents and 2 floor vents.

In the middle of summer in the middle of the day, this is a cool and fun place to chill.

The Shenanigan 5 tent is specified as a 5 person tent. However, like most tents the specified number is probably optimistic. Perhaps 2 adults and 3 children would fit inside. We found that there was plenty of room for 3 adults and gear.

I'd say that the pros of this tent are: 1. it is just so much fun. 2. it is easy to setup. 3. it is reasonably priced. 4. the color patterns are cool. 5. even tall people can stand up in this tent. 6. kids of all ages will love it.

I'd say the cons of this tent are: 1. not designed for extreme weather. 2. the side walls do limit shoulder space. 3. I prefer door entrances with one continuous zipper instead of three separate zippers.

In summary, I'm pretty happy with the tent. I plan to use it for car camping weekends, as a shade tent for day outings and maybe even for fun times in the backyard.

Not the true wilderness

We stayed at Inks Lake State Park Primitive campsites. We could hear our camping neighbors on both sides and the road traffic more than we would have liked. But I still gave it 4 stars because the campsites were huge and perfect for multi-tent camping. It was a fun little hike out there. We actually used our mt. bikes to move back and fourth, which isn't forbidden but just advised against, so its fair game. Another bummer on the hike is you have to cross a MAJOR road…I find this odd and dangerous. So in the morning we just parked in the small day lot to pack up our stuff instead of trekking it all the way out. The main part of the lake was so crowded but our primitive campsite was wayyy less crowds and at moments completely still! There has been a somewhat recent fire in the field across from the campsites which means all the trees are gone and makes for a beautiful meadow filled with flowers and honeybees. It was gorgeous we watched the sky turn to night there. I would recommend this site but probably not in late may, better in winter or fall.

Beautiful RV setting

Barefoot camp has been around for ever and I can see why. It’s on private property and you have to drive about 7 miles down a road with cattle guards. Anything over 24ft take it easy. You can walk to the Colorado River and swim or float. The cliffs are amazing. Very close to Colorado Bend State Park. This is my favorite campsite in Texas so far 🚐

Nice Lakeside Park

This is a small park on Lake Travis. about 15 miles outside of Austin Texas. They have a nice boat ramp and family picnic areas on the lake. The park has some larger group sites on the northern end. The park authority regularly patrols the area. Although this was listed on Dyrt, we discovered this was a day use park and no longer allowed camping. If you are camping in the area, this may be a good place to access the lake for fishing or just a family picnic.

Nice Lakeside Camping

Sandy Creek is a local water authority campground located on lake Travis just outside of Austin, Texas. The site has about 10 or so sites best suited for tent or small camper vans. During our visit, the camp was empty on a holiday weekend. They have a nice boat ramp and boat trailer parking lot as well as swimming facilities on the lakeshore. The camp sites are located along the tree line with some limited views of the lake. They have restrooms and each site has a picnic table and a fire pit. Given the proximity to Austin and the lake we gave this a 3 out of 5. I suspect when the weather cools this would be a popular option for visitors and locals.

Under Construction

This RV Park is about 20 miles northwest of Austin Texas near Cedar Park. The RV park is located 1/4 mile off the highway and backs onto a scenic view of the surrounding hill country views. The park is currently undoing a major expansion and renovation. During our visit the dust and noise from the construction escalating was Lou’s and very dusty. The current park is full of long term campers looking for low cost housing near Austin TX. The rows are crowded with little to no privacy. With all the construction, I would not recommend for children or families. They have full service hookups for the largest RVs including power, water and sewer at each site. The have a laundry facilities and areas for walking pets at the far end of the camp. I would take a pass an this place until they complete the construction and hopefully provide some better and less crowded sites.

River✔️trails✔️lake ✔️

Absolutely recommend this park! It’s a very well kept, peaceful getaway from reality. I have been camping here for years. My favorite no doubt. There are so many trails to walk! Playgrounds for the children, and the river is a short walk from you’re camp.

Campsites are nice

This park has an urban feel. It is literally in the middle of a small town. The campsites were nice. I think $14 a night. We camped at the end of December, so it was nice and cold. We actually drove to the buckees gas station to use the restroom. I think it took 5 minutes exactly to drive from our campsite to buckees. Overall, really neat to be able to explore the city and nature in such a small vicinity. Also, the movie Prince Avalanche was filmed here, so definitely see the movie then go to this park.

Cliffside Camping

We went camping over memorial weekend at Pedernales Falls. We did the primitive camping. This was some of the best TEXAS camping we've done. We found a really nice spot that was on the cliffside and had an incredible view of the hill country. It was isolated enough from other campsites. We saw deer in the morning in the grassy area next to our tent. We also found a path down to the river that was close by.

Good hiking.

This is not one of our favorites but we like to hike and the views are great.  They have some drive thru campsites for anyone that’s new to backing an RV.  There is not much shade and they have some repair areas.  The swimming area is good for small children but not really that big.  It’s far from Johnson City or Austin so it’s best to take supplies with you.

Great shady campground.

This is a state park.  It is pretty big and has good campsites.   Most of the campsites have shade and all have a picnic table and fire pit.   My husband likes to fish and he enjoys the fishing spots.  The park has a great place to go swimming.  We also like it because it’s close to Austin.

Quiet and unassuming

I’ve been camping here for a a few years now and always have a good time. It’s a very basic camp site. There are open spots along the river with large trees to provide shade and block wind. There are power outlets at these walk in camp sites. When I say walk in, I mean that you park and then walk about 10 yards to your site. So those are both convenient. The store near the camp site is not open year round but the Shell station up the road has everything you’ll need. There are also sone ice houses around if you want to do that. There are restrooms toward the top of the campgrounds with showers as well as a laundry room. You can make fires but you’ll need to bring your own wood.

Beautiful, LOTS to do, relaxing Texas Oasis

This is an absolute gem of a find in campgrounds.  The campground is spread out and large. All of the sites are separated by trees and foliage, so you get a sense of privacy.   The campground itself is extremely well-maintained and clean. The public restrooms and showers were all clean and nice. Talk about things to do, there are so many activities at Inks Lake State park!!  From fishing (from the many piers or the banks) canoeing (they have nice rentals, very reasonably priced)  hiking, boating, stand up paddle boarding, swimming, or simply chilling out in the lake on a tube.  The camper sites were really nice with all the hook-ups and a picnic table and a barbecue pit at each site.   Lots of hiking trails and this would be a birdwatchers dream.   The Texas wild flowers were blooming when we were there which made the hikes beautiful and the hikes are easy enough for small children to do without any problems.   The lake itself is clean  and it is partially rock bottom so the water is extremely clear. There is also a place called Devils hole at One end of the lake and it is a huge rock formation that people jump off of into the water because it is extremely deep in the area, even scuba divers dive down it is so clear.   I believe the park post told us it was an underground cave, which would make sense because the water was so clear.   You can’t go wrong with this campground but I would suggest booking early because it is extremely popular because of it’s many attractions. It didn’t disappoint!!  We will definitely be back many times.