Austin, TEXAS

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Austin Camping Reviews
Had a great stay!

I am new to the rv life and own a used Coleman Bayside pop up camper. I own a business in Austin and love escaping to the woods at the end of the day.

Im wrapping up a 10 day stay at Cedar Breaks Park campground and will return for sure!

Lake Georgetown is the main attraction and is beautiful, quiet & clean.

The park & campground is easy to find and easy for larger or vehicles with travel trailers / campers in tow. Many grocery stores / restaurants / shopping / medical facilities are close by also (within 2-5 miles)

Sites all have 30, 50a and water hookups (im not sure about sewer hookups at sites but they do have a sewer dump station at front of campground) more than adequate restroom & shower facilities located in the center of the campground.

The staff is absolutely amazing, they are friendly, knowledgable and accommodating.

ROOKIE MISTAKE #1 “GET THE AFTER HOURS GATE CODE” After setting up camp the first day, I realized I needed food for Grady (my silver lab) and drove to Walmart. WELL, I didnt pay attention and got locked out. I didnt have the after hours gate code & had to park out front and walk down to my site & wentback up in the morning to get my truck.Not a huge deal, but a lesson I learned lol

Well maintained and quiet place to camp

We had a quaint campsite with a Lakeview.

Each campsite appeared to be level and clean. The sites were spaced out so that you’re not camping on top of one another. Each space had a picnic table and grill. There was a fishing pier, boat ramp, and beach to swim at. Many of the camping spots can be reserved online, but the park maintains some camping spots for first-come.

Family fun, better for littles than teens

We came for the month of January to camp next to friends. It’s a family RV park and has nice amenities. We are just outgrowing the atmosphere. It’s nothing against the park, we just have a teenager. (14) I recommend it for any families with younger kids! If you have a teen who rolls their eyes as a bounce pillow and isn’t interested in miniature golf, probably keep looking.

Our site is wooded and has a nice fire pit—but unfortunately right now there is a burn ban in Comal County.

Pet friendly! Has a small dog park.

Just about the cheapest camping outside Austin

We arrived in Austin, Texas for the new year and boondocked for a week in a Walmart on 290 in Austin to get some truck repairs done. One week at a Walmart was enough for us, so we looked for some free or cheap campgrounds within an hour of the city.

Spoiler alert: There isn't much.

Most state campgrounds are $24+ per night with per-person daily access fees that ring your nightly rate up to $35+. And all private campgrounds easily are $40 per night unless you opt for a slightly cheaper weekly rate.

Enter Sandy Creek Park in Leander, Texas, about 45 minutes from downtown Austin. The campground is situated on Travis Lake in the hilly country northwest of Austin. The road to get here involves 15-20 minutes of significant up-and-down winding, and there are a good number of cars traveling on the road. Though the speed limit is 15-30 most of the time, there are sports cars and motorcycles that will ride your bumper and look to pass you on the double yellow. I've driven over 25,000 miles in our truck-and-trailer combo this year, and this was among the more winding roads I've been on.

The campground itself has a few U-shaped terraced levels leading down to the boat ramp into Travis Lake, and there's a lot of boater activity. However, the campground itself was empty the entire week we were here with just one other RVer staying a single night. There are no easy turnarounds for larger rigs in this campground, and low-hanging branches provide obstacles for taller rigs. Even our fifth wheel, with a modest 11'10" max height, had a hard time in some spots. Ultimately, we decided to park parallel to the road in one of the more open campsites by the park entrance. When leaving, we elected to back out beyond the entrance before turning up and out of the park.

I'd say our 30' fifth wheel is about the max length recommended in this park. There are no hookups at Sandy Creek Park but there is a dump station, which I included pictures of. However, I didn't attempt to use it for two reasons: (1) a sharp corner entering the U-shaped dump station turnout and (2) low-hanging trees preventing me from swinging my rig wide.

Water is available at several faucets spaced every few campsites, but some of them don't have the traditional grooved fitting to connect your water hose. Filling is also a two-man job as you need to turn and hold to keep water flowing.

Park employees staffed the fee booth for 5 of the 7 days we were here and police patrolled the area a few times per day.

Overall, Sandy Creek Park is a clean campground with a great location right outside Austin for an awesome price(considering the other parks in close proximity). It has everything a camper could need except electric hookups, though the dump station is tough to access for larger rigs.

Might have been the best site we've been in

My wife, kids, dogs and I went out to Inks Lake and we stayed in site 345, in the tent only sites.  It was a great sire that backed right up on the lake.  We had a natural split level site with a clearing towards the lake that allowed us a great spot for me to set up our Bonfire Solo Stove.  There was enough room to set up our Kingdom 6 REI tent, which is a 2 room 6 man tent, along with 2 hammock.  We were on a small loop that allowed our kids (8 and 6) to have some room to roam, and we were just a 50 yard walk from the fishing dock and one of Texas State Parks newly renovated bathrooms.  I would recommend this site and park to anyone.  We were bummed we were able to to down the street to Lonnghorn Cavern, because some bad weather came in and we had too leave early.

Really nice spot

We stained over New Years, beautiful little spot. Camp was very clean and had decent large bathrooms with a clean shower. Sites are large and well maintained, covered area was very nice and sturdy. Large amount of room between sites. No sewer hock up so we had to pump out. No fires they had a burn ban in effect but we were allowed to grill. Had a few visitors to the site. Would definitely stay again, very nice small RV park.

Great park but Sites are awkward

Had a good time at this park but the camp sites were not setup well for rv camping. We only found 1 site that was a good setup for our rv. Other than that part the hiking trails were great and the lake was fun to kayak on with the kids.

Five Star Location!

This location absolutely can’t be beat if you want to check out downtown Austin. We really enjoyed this place for the people and the location. The facilities weren’t in the best of shape, but that didn’t bother us– we were right near so many things to check out. We went on bike rides and runs right from the site and we could easily hop on a scooter and check out so many popular Austin spots. There is also a gas station store across the street from the park that has most things you will need in a pinch. There’s even a brewery next door! If we find ourselves in Austin again we will totally try to get a spot here– the location was great. We enjoyed checking out the bats, the presidential library and more!

Outdoor Camping

It was my first time camping with my girlfriend and I really enjoyed Inks Lake State Park!

Good Experience

Make sure the water level is up, during my second visit to this park the water was low and not moving. The water was nasty in some spots due to stagnant water. However, beautiful when the water level is normal or up and Plenty of good hiking trails as well.