the dyrt
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Great Smoky Mountains National Park Camping Reviews
Good family camping all ages

Good camp sites close to a dam lost of ishhing sopts ,ok bath house. Swiming area

Clean & peaceful

Very clean campground right on the river with a great view of Douglas Dam. Diverse population of bird species for birdwatchers. Very laid back attitude here. No parties or loud music. Only reason it didn't get 5 stars is there was a dead duck hanging from the power lines in front of our site. He was hooked to a fishing line. Kind of an eyesore.

Secluded Hideaway

Tucked away on the quiet side of Pigeon Forge is this lovely family owned resort. You feel like you are hidden in the beautiful valley landscape when in fact hare less than 3 miles from the adventures of Dollywood. Park your RV at one of the pull thru or back in sites and enjoy full hookups, while watching cable TV. For those wishing to explore the RV life, rent a park model, or relax in a cabin. Save time and the hassle of trying to find a parking spot in Pigeon Forge by hopping on the trolley that runs through. Cool off from the Tennessee temps in the pool while the kiddos play at the playground.

Just a lovely place

The grounds are beautiful & well kept. The shower house & bathrooms are very nicely done & were always clean. The game room was the icing on the cake. Kids can play free games while parents talk around the fire. Refreshing & crystal clear stream circles the property with a beach area. My daughter played all day on that little beach-cool, clear water, plenty of shade made it the perfect place! Staff were super nice. Totally recommend!!

Smokey mountains

Nice group campsites. Clean and nice facilities!

Packed like sardines

We spent a weekend here with a group of friend for a rafting trip. Big mistake! The sites are so closely packed you could not eat at the picnic tables without being in someone else’s site. Couldn’t make a fire in the fire ring because it was right next to the RV in the next site. Over priced. Over crowded. Won’t go back!

Fun and clean

wonderful campground. It was definitely packed but everyone stayed pretty quiet even when kids were playing around the sites. Super clean sites and bath houses. Water on EACH site was the bomb! Homemade icecream at the old mill campground was a major bonus

Primitive Perfection!

Our new favorite campsite! There are no hookups, so if you bring a camper you’ll need a generator, but for tents, this space is primo! Nice communal fire pit area, lots of space and privacy depending on the spot you get, all are along a nice flowing creek. Perfect to relax and recharge. Close to some great breweries, hiking, paddling, great biking. All around a great place!

Hidden Gem

I hate to even review this due to how amazing this place was and my wife and I had the entire place to ourselves! All sites are right along the creek. Firepit provided and there is typically a portable restroom available. This weekend the restroom was being replaced so we got an even better deal. Owners are awesome and extremely helpful if needed. We will 100% be making this a regular spot for our new rooftop tent.

Outstanding !

This RV Park is simply the best. Great location in Pigeon Forge, some sites have a creek view, offers fishing (need license), great shade, good size lots, although some may feel cramped, nice camp store, phenomenal restrooms, nice game room, amazing pool with splash pad and jacuzzi. Trolley stop directly by office so no need to drive down into Pigeon Forge. And above all the most outstanding customer service!!

Awesome trails for u & ur horses

Love this place

Mills River camp ground

It's an awesome place to take n different views

Pretty views

Nice clean campground lots of waterfront.

Wonderfully forested and friendly campground

I stayed at this campground in 2013 (3 days) and I have scheduled to go there again for a week in May 2019.This is a KOA and even though I normally am not a fan of KOAs this place is very different. It is small and heavily treed so the campground does NOT look like a parking lot. There seemed to be amble space between sites. There is an awesome gold-bearing creek alongside the camp which is too cool. The place is pet friendly, the owner is awesome, the price is reasonable. There is an acre field for dogs to be off leash and run, you can tube in the creek, they have nice cabins. The bathhouse was older when I was there but from what I understand it has been remodeled in recent years….but I don't go camping to explore the bathrooms so I don't really care about them. This is a great family site and it is fairly quiet, so if you are like me and you camp to GET AWAY from noise and drama, then this is the place!!

Great Family campground.

A family owned and operated, 11 acre full service, pet friendly camping facility. We are conveniently located just 20 minutes outside the historic town of Murphy North Carolina, at an elevation of 1850 feet, surrounded by mountains! Closer to the natural beauty the area is known for. We are nestled in the center of a peaceful valley with a 360 degree view of the mountains that surround us. The campsites border the many bubbling streams that pass through our valley.

A Full Service Campground, we have 2 separate bath houses with private individual bathing facilities, 3 Bunkhouses as well as Primitive sites.  We have a large pavilion for your group meetings, family reunions, fully lighted with electricity available.

All time favorite campground!

This is my favorite campground! It could be because I’ve been camping in Cades Cove every year since I was 5. I’m 30 now & married my husband at the missionary baptist church in cades cove in 2014. Many good memories have been made in this campground. It’s primitive $20 a night no hook ups large wooded sites. One loop generators are allowed & another loop they aren’t so that’s nice. It’s peaceful & very quiet. There’s a river that runs a long the outside of the campground. Good swimming holes. A store that sells food (the best ice cream), firewood & camping supplies. They also have bike & helmets for rent. They’re very strict about bear proofing your campsite. All my years camping there I’ve seen many bear walking through the campground. So it’s for your safety & the bears that you obey the rules. The rangers walk around frequently & make sure no ice chest or grills have been left out so before you leave your campsite make sure to pick those items up or they will get confiscated & you will get a little ticket. Again it’s all for your & the bears safety. The 11 mile loop is closed for vehicles on wed & sat mornings until 10:00 am so bikes can ride through. I highly recommend walking or riding your bike through early in the morning or in the afternoon. There is a halfway point to use the restroom & buy some souvenirs. Also there is a road called parsons branch most of the time it’s closed but we’ve been lucky a few times & it’s been open. Definitely need a suv or truck to drive down it bc you cross over water a few times. EXTREMELY PEACEFUL! All 3 times we’ve driven it we never saw anyone else. It’s a narrow road & you end up on the dragon in North Carolina so you’ll have a nice drive down the foothills parkway to get back. Also rich mountain road is beautiful to drive down in the fall. It will bring you back out in townsend.

The best!!

This is my 2nd favorite campground ever! The sites are huge, the river running through is perfect for inter tubbing, good swimming areas, tons of hiking, & beautiful scenery. PEACEFUL!! My parents started bringing me camping here when I was 9 we’d come every year for a week. I’m 30 & married now so I drag my husband camping here ha I still tube on the river & hiking is the best. My favorite time to come is summer. I’ve camped there twice during the synchronized firefly show (definitely look it up if you haven’t heard of it). The campground closes from Nov-March but you can still go in & hike. March is a gorgeous time to go & there aren’t a lot of people camping around that time. It’s primitive so there aren’t any hook ups at all. There aren’t showers but they have many nice bathhouses set up that have toilets & sinks. Highly recommend!!

Nice campground in the city

I don’t like camping in the city, but Elkmont is closed from Nov-March. We try to come up camping in this area 4 times a year. Camp Riverslanding is our campground for after Christmas/New Years. We’ve stayed 2 years in a row & have reservations for this year. It’s quiet, spacious sites, some site on the river, very clean restroom/showers, laundry room & large play area for children. The staff are always extremely friendly & we’ve never had any issues while camping there. There’s a trolley that stops in the campground to take you wherever you want to go. Would definitely recommend this campground.

Super clean and well organized

We stayed here just one night but it was incredibly clean, well organized and easy every step of the way from our night time arrival to our departure. They have a boat ramp, playground, pool, arcade, fireplaces and more. We would return for a longer time in the summer.

Hidden gem

Love this place. Nice lake. Hiking trail, beach, swimming, fishing. Nice bathrooms with showers. Camp store and best of all no cell service! Near falls and the skyway to dragon scenic route. Joyce Kilmer memorial forest has some huge trees about a mile in on a hike.

Best Campground in NC

We have been camping for years, and hands down Deep Creek is the best. I recommend calling at least 6 months ahead during the summer months to get a creekside spot. The location is just outside Bryson City NC. And offers fine dining and craft brewed beers from the Nantahala Brewing Co. Just 15 minutes from the NOC offering rafting zip lining, and mountain biking. I can't say enough good things about this Campground.

Best Resort in the Us!

Splurge for once, well worth it. This resort has everything covered. Beautiful outdoor stone fire places at some sites. Beautiful views overlooking Douglas Lake.

Feels like family

We love big meadow We were there long term for a few months while house hunting and they took very good care of us Clean and safe We never had to worry about our son roaming around with our dog and his bike Also you have the awesome Little river right in your front yard. So close to hiking and kayaking.

Great camping, close to Asheville with awesome mountain biking trails

We stayed here on a road trip for a trail race in Brevard in early December. Campground was fairly empty. Site was spacious, with a fire ring and picnic table. Bathroom facilities were great, with free hot showers. Close proximity to Asheville, with its many restaurants and breweries, and very close to the Blue Ridge Parkway as well. We used this as a jumping off point to do some hiking along the blue ridge, with some local beers afterward.

The campground is in the Bent Creek experimental forest, which has some really great trails for mountain biking, hiking, and trail running. We have mountain biked here before and loved it. We didn't check out much of the lake, as it was cold when we were there. Really liked this campground!

Smokemont Campground - National Park in the off season

We stayed for one night, on a weeknight in early December. The campground was completely deserted (one other camper came in the evening, there were only two of us there!). Most of the campground is shut down during that time. Bathroom was open, with cold water. Water was available at the spouts. Sites are very close together for the most part, typical of most National Park Service car camping campgrounds.

Campground is along a creek, and there were some sites right along the water. Nice little trail across from our site that we explored. You must buy heat treated wood locally (we found some easily in nearby Cherokee).

Campground is close to the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, and we had the luck of seeing a heard of Elk in the field at the center on our way in! The road through the park shut down the night we were there due to snow and ice in the higher elevations, so keep weather in mind when visiting in the colder months; if you are planning to drive all the way through the park, you might not be able to. Same goes for the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway, which was still shut down in many areas for clearing after an ice storm a week or two before we got there.

Great campground

Very busy in summer but very nice in winter.

Great family campground

We camped around halloween and the entire campground has trick or treating for the kids on Saturdays. Clean, friendly and really great for kids. Would definitely go back.

Beautiful Trails and Falls, Barebones Campgrounds

My girlfriend and I camped at Gorges State Park for a few days in October of 2017. The trails are excellent and they were in great condition when we visited. The waterfalls are beautiful and it isn't a very strenuous hike to Rainbow Falls.

Camping seems to be hit or miss. The campsites aren't bad, but during our stay the privy pit was nearly unusable, so we dug our own. The access road to the campsite trail was closed as well, so the hike to the campsite from the parking lot felt closer to 3 miles. Given the lack of amenities and the distance to the Raymond Fisher campgrounds, I'd advise that you snag one of the primitive backcountry sites instead. They are situated along the main trail to Rainbow Falls, and almost every backcountry site was in a nice spot with easy access to the stream. Be aware that many of these backcountry sites are directly adjacent to the trail, and hikers will probably pass by your campsite.

If you are camping, expect bears. I don't know if this is still an issue, but we had a bear messing with our stuff every night. It didn't exactly bother us, but we did have to hang our trash and food far from the campsite while we slept. It made us a little nervous because we were the only campers there and you are miles from your car, but it didn't come close enough to our tent to really frighten us.

That being said, we had an incredible time and would definitely return. Despite being in a state park campground it still felt very secluded, and we felt that all the set backs made it more of an adventure.

Amazing Place to Camp

This place is by far my families favorite. We camp here every year. The campground is beautiful. The sites are clean. They have an amazing playground with an activity center. They always hold events for families. They have everything you could possibly think of. Staff is wonderful. You go long enough and they feel like family. Most highly recommended in western north Carolina. We love this place.

Super Campground

This was the nicest, cleanest and newest camping resort I have ever seen. Beautiful views at a lake below the Smokey Mountains. Huge paved sites and stone fireplaces.