Great Smoky Mountains National Park, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Great Smoky Mountains National Park Camping Reviews
Good experience

The only bad part was the non quiet hours- so It was loud at night. But the campsites are far apart, easy walking distance to bathrooms. It was a nice spot we had, we just walked in and grabbed an open spot. Walking distance to easy hiking spots.

Peaceful site on the river

Easy to get from Knoxville without going into the craziest part of traffic in Sevierville.  There are many RV sites and cabins along the bend of the Little Pidgeon River.  Fire rings all along the river with everyone out at night sitting along the river.  Had all the amenities you would want in a full service RV Park.

Fantastic

Very pretty and well maintained. Bathroom facilities were clean and in excellent shape. Firewood is available for sale at the campground host.

Almost a five star

Super nice campground A few sites are way to close together Super clean bathroom with personal showers on the outside. Will definitely stay again just not on one of the squeeze tight sites

Beautifully Secluded

The highest state park in Georgia has two general camping sections with power and water (and free cable if you're so inclined to hook up to watch TV).

Some of the sites are small ish, and since this is literally on the top of a beautiful mountain, the sites are close in proximity to each other.

The standard State Park bathrooms and showers are available.

In the summer when there are leaves and green on all the trees, it's breathtaking with the views. Once the leaves fall off, it's a bit spooky (my interpretation) and can get windy without the leaves.

My favorite Georgia state park!

An affordable RV park/campground near the Smokies

The Pros:

• Location: This campground is located in a perfect spot, in my opinion. 10 minutes from the Metcalf Bottom entrance to Smoky Mtn NP. 15 minutes to the Townsend entrance. 30 minutes to Cades Cove. 15 minutes to Pigeon Forge. And 30 minutes to Gatlinburg. Close, but away from the madness. For a few shops and restaurants you have Wears Valley right next door (I recommend Mountain Chick for a light breakfast - awesome biscuits and coffee).
  • Amenities: full hook-ups and a VERY nice pool/deli (see picture). The pool has karaoke on Friday nights. There is also a stocked fishing pond with dock though we didn't use it.
  • The view: Okay, not all campsites have great views. But the lower sites do, and that's where we were. Awesome backdrop of the mountains while you sit by your campfire.
  • The price: All the other campgrounds this close to the park charge $50+. Honeysuckle charges $35 a night.
  • The sites: Sites are typically long, wide, gravel, mostly level, and with plenty of space in between. Our site even had a brand new deck with solar LED lights! Every site has a metal fire pit and a plastic-topped picnic table.

The Cons:

•  This is a mix of long-term RV park and campground. The lower sites are mostly campers while the upper sites are a mix of campers and long-term lots. This isn't necessarily bad. Most of the long-term units are nice looking, but it does impact the camping feel a bit. And along the lead-in from the road to the sites there are a lot of campers in storage. Some of these don't look so nice.

• Dumpster: This is bear country so you can't leave your trash outside in cans. The only dumpster is all the way down the road to the office, and it is frequently full.

• Reservations: The process of making reservations was easy enough. I was assigned a site in the confirmation email I received. But when we arrived I was given a different site. When I asked about it, they didn't have record of the first site I was given. When I drove by that site, there was an RV in it that looked like it was being stored there. We went to site 50, the one they gave us, and it was okay. The one just down the hill, Site 49, was a little shorter but it had a deck. We called the office and asked to switch. They agreed. It worked out, but it was a little frustrating.

• Amenities: Because it is more RV park than a campground, there wasn't a bathroom or laundry facility.

Overall, we were quite happy with the experience. We would stay here again and recommend it to others.

Primitive Camping with Great Fishing and a Short Drive to Max Patch

Ranger Review: Eclipse Sun Sleeves at Harmon Den Area(Pisgah National Forest) https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recarea/?recid=70836

There are a few dispersed camping sites at Harmon’s Den, and they are spacious sanctuaries beside Cold Springs Creek. Harmon Den is in Pisgah National Forest, and dispersed camping is allowed but only where there a camping symbol is posted along Cold Springs Creek Road. To get to the campsite, you have to get off on Exit 7 along Interstate 40 in North Carolina and travel a gravel road for several miles. You will not want to drive too fast since there are several potholes, washboards, and protruding rocks in the road. At the campsite, there is a fire ring, but there are no other facilities such as bathrooms, showers, electricity, running water, trash cans, camp store, firewood for sale, campground hosts, etc. It is pretty much just a space for camping. With that said, it offers all the exciting activities that national forests offer, such as fishing, biking, hiking, etc. Harmon Den is mostly known as a horse camp, although car camping without horses is a common occurrence. When I was there, I passed by a couple of car campers that did not have horses. I did see a few vehicles with horse trailers pass by on the road. Because it is a popular horse camping area, you have to watch where you step. At our campsite, there was horse poop in several places, and I had to watch my grandson closely so he didn’t step in a pile of horse manure. Expect to encounter horse flies as well. There was also lots of poison ivy, so that was another concern I had about my grandson running freely. Since there are no bathrooms, practicing LNT(Leave No Trace) is important. Unfortunately, there was lots of trash, but that was a teachable moment for my grandson, and we definitely left the campsite better than what we found it. Before it gets dark, make sure you know where you are going to take care of business when you have to get up in the middle of the night. That way, you can avoid stepping in the wrong place. There were also quite a few people fishing in the creek on the way to the campsite since the creek is a popular place for trout fishing. As a matter of fact, a wildlife officer came through our camp with a fishnet full of trout to stock the creek. She asked us if we brought our fishing poles. Unfortunately, that’s one thing I didn’t take camping with me. What was I thinking? Even with the horse poop and the poison ivy, it’s a great area for camping if you like solitude and the sounds of the creek throughout the night. Another reason to camp at Harmon Den is to visit Max Patch while you are there. I would suggest staying at least two nights so you can spend one day just enjoying Max Patch. It is a large mountain bald over which the Appalachian Trail crosses. I have been there in the past when people are having picnics, flying kites, or just lying on a blanket enjoying the magnificent scenery. If you go at the right time of year, one of the trails up to Max Patch will take you by wild blueberries and blackberries. As I stated earlier, the campsites are spacious, and it felt very peaceful just being there.

Product Review:

As a Dyrt Ranger I get to occasionally try out outdoor products while camping and this trip I brought Eclipse Sun Sleeves(https://eclipseglove.com/). As a stem cell transplant survivor from stage 4 Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, I can never be in the sun without adequate protection for the rest of my life. That’s why Eclipse clothing is perfect for me. Even in the middle of the summer, I have had to wear long sleeves and a broad-brimmed hat. I had earlier written a review for the Eclipse shawl, but with the Eclipse Sun Sleeves, I can finally wear my short sleeve shirts again. Since I love the outdoors and have some cool t-shirts, all I have to do is put on my sun sleeves and I am protected. The only thing I could see that might need improving would be to figure out how to keep the upper part to stay up. It wasn’t that much of a problem, and I don’t how the company could solve it, but overall, the sun sleeves are great. I would further like to say that because of sun sleeves, those who are allergic to the sun have one less excuse not to go outdoors in the sun..

This is a nice campground

This is also a mixed review, it was a nice campground however the area around it is getting more and more populated. It’s right across the street from a helicopter ride and that’s a lot of whop whop whop noise. We looked around and chose a campsite at the very end number 50 and thought we had hit the jackpot. Right on the water and very private. However it turns out that the people from the hotel above the campground feel very free just to walk right down sit in your campsite, (while we were unhooking hoses and sewer hoses) and use it as their own private beach. One of the weirdest incidents we have ever had while camping. Two adult man and six children and one of them and asked me if I “own the spot “

Great campground

We really enjoyed Milton Hill dam, very friendly people , well stocked store, easy access to swimming and fishing and full hook up sites if you want them. Easy access to my family in Knoxville Tennessee

A very nice campground in the craziness of pigeon forge

The campground is only a block from the main drag in pigeon forge, but you feel much further away.  A mountain river flows right beside the campground to give it a restful feeling.

This is a great site for kids, with a good pool and jump park area.  Also a nice loop for bike riding.  The track ( go carts and game room) is a short walk away.  Dollywood and splash country are about 10 minute drive time

The only negative I notice is the noise from the go cart track.  The advantages far exceed this though

If your coming to pigeon forge, hard to go wrong with this place

Since childhood

I’ve been to creekside probably 8-10 times in my life. The facility is not what it used to be, the pool is cracked and half the arcade machines are down, but the couple running it still send Christmas cards every year, and the grounds are still very clean. The location can’t be beat, in an alcove off a major highway that’s very quiet at night. Anyone rafting or just enjoying the area would be a fool not to camp here.

Feels secluded but in the middle of Pigeon Forge

We stayed at Pine Mountain when we were visiting family in Sevierville. We wanted to stay in Gatlinburg for the rustic feel but this park ended up being great. We stayed on the small river in the back. You had no idea you were streets away from the main drag of pigeon forge. They didn’t have a ton of amenities but you don’t need that much with all there is do to in the area. We could easily get to Gatlinburg and did every day for a hike. The pool here is an excellent zero entry pool with fountains. You are also allowed to use the indoor pool at the hotel across the street. The bath houses were pristine along with all of the grounds. There was also a trolly stop across the road. We also enjoyed the size of the sites. Your neighbors didn’t feel on top of you! They offered 10% for Good Sam but also have us that discount because my husband is a fire fighter.

Large National Park Campground with Lots of History in a Beautiful Setting

When you first get to the campground, you may think it is the typical national park campground, and it is in a several ways. However, this campground has a little-known area that many people ignore. First of all, the campsite we stayed in was spacious and had a fire ring. It didn’t have electricity and water, but it was large enough to put a really large tent for my best friend and me. The bath house does not have showers, but they are more than adequate for primitive camping. The campground is located in an area of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park that has the Little River through it, so you have the sounds of the creek at night. You can gather wood for your campfire, but you cannot transport firewood into the campground unless it has been certified and sealed in plastic. If you are not tubing or fishing in the river, you can travel a few miles to explore Cades Cove. However, next to the campground, there is the little-known area I mentioned earlier. I found it fascinating and lots of fun to explore. It is a ghost town, which began as a logging town. In the early 1900s, it became a resort, and from what I understand, many of the residents were from eastern Tennessee. Some of the buildings have been restored, but most of them are deteriorating quickly. We were able to go inside most of the buildings, but you have to be careful. You are not allowed to go into the some of them, which have signs and are dangerous. However, just to walk down the streets among the buildings is a beautiful sight, especially in the fall. The last thing I heard is that they are going to raze most of the buildings. Overall, Elkmont Campground is a peaceful place to stay with a lot of history. My advice would be to plan ahead since this campground can fill up during peak season. It is the largest campground of the Smokies, if I understood correctly, but campers come from all over the United States to stay here.

An RV Park with Tent Sites in a Beautiful Setting

I discovered this campground along Hwy 276 on the way to Shining Rock, and I’m glad I did. Although it seems like it’s only for RVs, it does have a section for tents. Most of the campground appears to be permanent sites, and there are several mailboxes within the campground. While speaking to Sherrie(the host), she told me where the tent sites were. There was at least one overflow site that did not have water and electricity. That would be good for tent campers that don’t require water and electricity, but it also is great for having more privacy since it is a couple of hundred feet before you get to the first RVs. The tent site where I was had a concrete picnic table, a fire pit, a small tent pad, and a trash can a few feet away. These tent sites are between the small pond and the East Fork Pigeon River. There is nothing better than sleeping beside a whitewater river like this and listening to it all night. Even in the summer, you need to take a warm sleeping bag since this campground is in the mountains next to a small river. I’ve made the mistake before of thinking the nights wouldn’t be cold during the summer. I was wrong. The tent pads are small, but you are only allowed one tent and up to four people per site anyway. Do not plan on taking an extremely large tent(such as a 10’ x 18’). You can go swimming in the pond, and there is even a diving platform; but you cannot fish in it. The bath house was small, but it was clean and well-maintained, and the laundry was in the same building. The walk from the tent site to the bath house is a short walk; just don’t sleep walk to it and fall into the pond. Beside one of the bath houses, there is a place to play horse shoes. Most people who are temporary campers come to this area for the Blue Ridge Parkway, the trails, and the waterfalls, which is short drive. Another activity is volleyball, and there is a dartboard at the pavilion, so if you are not fishing in the river or travelling to the Blue Ridge Parkway, there are other activities at your fingertips. Sherrie was very hospitable, and the campground is well worth a visit.

Easy to find and a fun place to stay.

We stayed at Clabough's Campground for only one night. The campground sits right off the main road (Wears Valley Rd), so it is easy to find. The downside to this is traffic is easy to hear from the sites towards the entrance. The sites towards the back (section D) probably don't hear traffic at all. There is a market and gas station that you go inside to check in and get your parking pass. The market sells fishing supplies, food, firewood, camping stuff and propane. The campsites were clearly marked and easy to locate. We stayed in a tent site. The designated tent sites are very small and can only accommodate 1 tent. There is a raised area with smooth river pebbles that you set your tent on. This is nice if it rains, because all the water will drain away quickly. However, I would rather not sleep on rocks, even if they are smooth pebbles. If the raised tent area was not there, I believe we could have set up 2 tents on the site. There are many sites that are right along Walden's Creek. This is perfect for fishing of swimming right next to your site. The moving water was also pleasant to listen to at night when the campground got quiet. The water, electric and dumpsters are easily accessed. Our fire ring was delivered very quickly by friendly staff. The tent sites are a close walk to one of the 2 pools. The other pool is right behind the market. You can drive or walk to the lazy river on the campground site. The lazy river is small but the kids really enjoyed it. There is a playground, jump pillow and basketball court. The restaurant is located inside the market and is a great place to cool off and use clean restrooms. The map of the campground is easy to read and well marked. We were at tent site C23. There is no shade at this site until the afternoon and then it is perfectly shaded by the trees on the opposite side of the creek. My kids swam in the creek, which ranged from only a couple of inches deep to about 3 feet deep. The water was flowing but not crazy fast. The tent sites are right next to the pavilion, arcade and snack shop which is in the process of being re-built (June 2019). The sites in section D (144-154) are located in the trees and have good shade and also back up to the creek. The cabins looked nice from the outside and were nestled among the RV campers. The sites are a close fit, but all the sites were booked while we were there and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves! Lots of kids on bikes and scooters on the paved road throughout the campground. This campground is so close to other activities as well. We went to Smoky Mountain River Rat and tubed The Little River. Overall, this is a very nice campground with a lot of amenities. Great for families.

Product Review:

I had the opportunity to test the Grub Stick intro kit:

The Grub Stick intro kit includes 1 handle, fork, grubcage, release tool and carrying bag. We only used the grubcage to make s’mores. I don’t like making s’mores because they’re so messy but there was basically no mess using the grubcage. The retractable handle is comfortable and easy to attach. The cage is easy to open and stack food in. It snaps together with a strong grip. The release tool worked perfectly to open the cage. The handle and cage cooled down very quickly and was able to be touched within 30 seconds of taking it out of the fire. This is a product I would recommend!

Quiet, cheap, but minimal privacy

Nice campground. Many of the sites are along a little creek and all the sites I saw had picnic tables and water (unsure if potable). It was very quiet, although probably because I went on a weeknight and there were not many people there.

There are not many trees inside of the camping area, so privacy is minimal. Lack of trees also meant lack of firewood, but it was not too bad because there were not many campers. The campground also sells firewood.

It cost around $12 (June)

Backpacking from Clingmans Dome to Lakeshore Dr.

We split up our 15.5 mile trek with an overnight at CS71. Forney Ridge and Forney Creek trails run right through and beside this site…you can't miss it. Beautiful area, and creek sounds to lull you to sleep no matter which spot you pick. Used to be an old CCC camp back in the 30's, and has the remaining chimney still standing on one of the tent sites. Forney Creek provides ample water supply.

Easy car camping & hiking

There are about 10 spots and a parking area to have your car near. There are bathrooms as well but no showers. The sites must be reserved in advance. It’s a good spot for families. Dogs are allowed to camp but not permitted in the Midnight Hole hiking area next to the campground.

Great Site/Friendly Rangers

First of all, the location is awesome. You descend into the campground directly from the Blue Ridge Parkway, which provides for a beautiful drive to the site. All of the campsites provide plenty of privacy, and plenty of trees for hammock camping (if you’re in to that). We were able to fit three, two-person backpacking tents onto one tent pad, so space shouldn’t be much of an issue. Be aware that you cannot set up tents on the grass, which isn’t all that uncommon. There are plenty of first come, first serve spots available, but you should be there before 4:00 PM (sometimes earlier) if you’re hoping to snag one. I’d personally recommend reserving a spot on Reservation.Org to be safe. The rangers were friendly and helpful, and provided great suggestions for weekend activities. If you are meeting friends there and driving multiple cars, keep in mind that you can only have two vehicles at the site, but you can park any extras across the street at the Pisgah Inn (100 yards down the road). Plenty of things to do around the site including hiking Mt Pisgah, Frying Pan Lookout, and Black Balsam. Firewood is available across the street at the general store (parking lot of the Inn) until 8:00, which is convenient if you forget something (like I did). Kudos to you if you’ve read this far into this marathon review, but I would definitely camp here again.

A few great nights even in the rain...

Spent 3 nights at Elkmont. Clean bathrooms, spacious sites, good water access and dish washing stations (so helpful in bear country!) Stayed in N loop which is just near trails to view fireflies - weren’t quite synchronized yet when we were there (2nd week of June) but the show was still wonderful in the dark among the old cabin ruins!

Kid tested, parent approved

Had a blast here! They have so much for the kids to do, full court basketball, tennis courts, battle ball, arcade room, and pool. Also next door to a ropes corse and close to pigeon forge. This place is awesome!!

Forest Bathing and Beauty at Greenheart Forest

(As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I am occasionally given the opportunity to stay at campgrounds to help expand the listings on the site. I was given the chance to stay at Greenheart Forest through this program.)

Located in Pisgah National Forest, Greenheart Forest labels itself as a place of healing, and that description could not be more accurate. David and Jeannette, the owners, are both incredibly nice. From our initial phone call, to meeting them, to when we said goodbye, they were so kind and conversational in all of our interactions.I spent a lot of time talking to David about his passion—and the mission of Greenheart Forest—of forest bathing and terra psychology.

The campground itself is both small and large. There are only five sites available for booking, but they are considerably spaced out, and the sites themselves are very large. While the sites are technically“drive-in,” the road to get to them is very difficult to navigate unless you have 4-wheel drive, so when planning the trip, plan to either hike-in(about 200 yards or so), or to pay$5 each direction for David or his wife to provide portage of your gear. When we went it was raining pretty heavily and my front-wheel drive RAV-4 could not make it, so we took advantage of David’s truck.

Site 1 is the closest to the lodge/parking lot, with a covered picnic table. Site 2 is the“glamping” site, available at an upcharge; David has a 10-person tent, 2-room tent set up that includes two cots in one“room,” and a rug and chairs in the other. This site is huge, with a large fire ring, and ample room to set up other tents. We stayed here and were able to set up a second tent and a screen shelter with room to spare. Site 3 is also very large, with wooden benches around the fire ring, a gravel tent pad, and plenty of ground space for additional tents. This is also the site closest to the“privy;” a pop up tent set up around a bucket with toilet paper and a bucket of leaves to aide in decomposition.(There is a bathroom with running water in the lodge as well.) Sites 4 and 5 are the furthest from the lodge, with site 5 being the most private and slightly downhill from the others. This site was occupied when we went so I could not get a good look at it, but the privacy it had was incredible.

These are tent sites only; they will not accommodate RVs, and sites 3 and 5 are not accessible by vehicle, but by short trails past the other campsites. There is no electricity at the sites, and water is available at the lodge but must be carried the rest of the way.

The road that takes you to sites 1 and 2 stretches towards the edge of David’s property, and ends in a trail that takes you to the Max Patch summit via the Buckeye Ridge Trail, about 3 miles round trip from the campground to the summit. We did not get to explore the trail, but have been to Max Patch and it is incredible and well worth the walk if your trip allows time for it.

Even better than the wide and open campsites though, is the overall atmosphere David has created. He has a zen garden for walking and meditation, flowers everywhere, and community places set up both inside and outside the the lodge for talking to other campers. His background in Forest Bathing has led to building a place of love and healing, and it shows in everything from the moment you first turn into the driveway. We came with kids, and while everything was very child-friendly, this would be a wonderful place to come alone if you needed to get into the forest and clear your head, or with a retreat looking for a place to facilitate deeper healing or meditations.

Lighting Bug Display was on another level

This campground is absolutely amazing. Everything was well kept and clean, sights far enough apart, plenty of shade, plenty of restrooms and just flat out beautiful. We went up and stayed here to see the synchronized lightning bugs and it did not disappoint. I would 100% recommend staying here even if it wasn’t the time of year to see the lighting bugs. Plenty of trails to hike, rivers to fish and things to see. There is an amazing abandoned summer retreat community just outside the campground that is a must see. I will say you WILL NOT HAVE ANY CELL SERVICE! But for me that is far from a negative. Just prepare accordingly.

Very quiet

This was a cool campground. There was nobody at the office when we arrived we did not have reservations. The note on the door just said to find a campsite and set up and just come to the office in the morning. There is absolutely no cell phone service. Backing the pop up in was rough as we had to back up hill into the site on wet grass but we made it.

Right outside of Gatlinburg

We camped here for a few days. The campground was nice staff was very friendly. The bathhouse are private everyone gets there own room with a toilet at shower which were all clean our first day there but then everyone that came in tracked dirt and mud and they stayed filthy the rest of our stay. They have a beach area on the river that is fun and cools you down very fast. The center of the campground is a large field used for tent camping and they have a primitive camping.

Great campground

Beautiful campground right on the Little River. It’s tucked away off the main road but only minutes from Smoky Mountain NP. The owners were very friendly and the price was very fair, especially during “leaf season”

Family camping at its best

This campground is the perfect base camp for all of your favorite mountain sports activities with plenty of tent camping and RV sites. Located in the heart of Pisgah Forest within the town limits of Brevard NC adjacent to the Davidson River. Mountain bike Mecca, excellent trout fishing, tubing down the Davidson along the campground, more hiking than you can do during your vacation from easy to extreme, less than 10 minutes from downtown Brevard with excellent food choices and several craft Breweries. If you can't find something to do you are not trying. During the summer months it fills up early on the weekend so get there early.

Wonderful family campground

Our son had a ball playing in the pool and splash pad. After hours we went to the arcade and played. The bath house was super nice.

My favorite campground in the Smokies!

Tent Camping specific: Cataloochee is my favorite campground in the great Smoky Mountains national Park. It’s secluded, on the small side, and quiet. It’s very much a family campground, and there seem to be a lot of regulars that camp here year after year. I know our family does.

As a tent camper, I look for campgrounds where there are not going to be a plethora of large RVs. The last thing I want to hear when I’m out camping is somebody’s TV playing at full blast and the generator going all night. I’ve never had this happen at Cataloochee. Yes, some people use generators, but it usually tends to only be for an hour or two during the day which I can handle. What keeps out the large RVs? This:

“Access to Cataloochee is via a narrow, winding, mountain road. A 3-mile stretch of gravel road contains many narrow, blind curves. Though many campsites will accommodate large rigs, motorhomes over 32' and trailers over 25' in length are not recommended due to the access road. “

The road is quite the trip just in a car, and I can’t imagine driving a large RV on it. There are two approach roads. There’s one that goes from Big Creek Campground to Cataloochee. I would recommend this one because of how scenic it is, but we once got stuck behind a tractor trailer on the small gravel road and had to sit there for an hour in order to get going again.

The campground specifics: there are flush toilets and there is drinking water, but that’s it. No electrical hook ups. This is bear country, so put your food up, along with any scented health and beauty items. Tent pad is 16‘ x 16‘. You can collect the dead wood, but please don’t bring firewood into the park unless it’s been specially treated.

Reservations are highly recommended, but it is possible except on the busiest weekends to occasionally snag one of the not so prime sites. And even the not so prime sites are still wonderful because of this campground. Just keep checking Recreation.gov to see what comes available.

There’s great fishing, great hiking and a lot of historical buildings to explore. There’s an area of the stream where little kids can easily play which is important because I have a three-year-old. Lots of people bike throughout this area of the park because there’s not a lot of traffic. Fishing is great, just do your research on what is effective on the trout in this area and what the rules and regulations for fishing in the park are. And there’s elk! They have their babies at the beginning of June and mid September through October is their mating season, so you can hear their strange whistles.

Site specific: Sites 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are located along the stream. 1, 2, 4 & 6 are across the the road from the waterfront sites. Sites 11-15, 17-19 are on the outside of the loop. Sites 20-27 are located on the road that bisects village. The best sites? 5 & 10. They are really nicely sited with the tent pad quite a distance from the gravel road around the campground. All of the other waterfront sites are great. Site 11 is not waterfront, but it’s spacious and private. The worst sites are those on the road that bisects the Loop Road.

LET ME BE VERY CLEAR: any campsite at Cataloochee is worth reserving. They’re all nice. You can hear the water from any of them. They are paths that lead behind the campground to the river so it’s just a matter of walking a few more feet. Your neighbors might be a little close, but with the ambience of this campground, it won’t feel like that.

I’ve stayed in Cataloochee every year for the past six years. I’ve stayed at almost every other campground in the park. Cataloochee is just fantastic. To prove that point, we have three stays reserved this year for our family. So go! You won’t regret it.