Great Smoky Mountains National Park, NORTH CAROLINA

Camping North Carolina Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Most Recent Great Smoky Mountains National Park Camping Reviews
Nice a Quite

Way out in the middle of nowhere

Small Campground with a Friendly Atmosphere Adjacent to Lots of Things to D

This small campground is conveniently located close to the casino in Cherokee, the town of Cherokee, and along Soco Creek. It is within the Qualla boundary of the Cherokee Reservation. This is the second time I have stayed at this campground, and it has changed a little since the first time. There are more cabins and RV sites than I remember from my first visit. It is still a quiet and peaceful little campground. If you enjoy trout fishing, this is an ideal place for it. The creek is stocked on a regular basis. The host was nice and very helpful. There is a store where you can get basic camping supplies. Some of the tent sites have raised gravel pads, and some are just gravel. Large groups, such as Scouts or church groups, have the option of staying in their bunkhouses. It appeared to me that all of the sites have water and electricity, if I am not mistaken. For RVs, there is a mixture of back-in and pull-through sites. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of privacy since the sites are relatively close, but you get a sense of community here. I spoke to an elderly couple who were very friendly. At night, the creek pretty much drowns out the sounds from the road. Because of the location of this campground, you will find lots of things to do. If you are not into casinos, there is the whole Cherokee Indian culture to explore with the museum, the outdoor drama(during the summer), the Oconaluftee Indian Village, and more. Thousands of people come to Cherokee every year to see the elk, which most times can be found close to the Oconaluftee Visitors Center. There is also the Mountain Farm Museum and Mingus Mill. There is just so much to see and do close to this campground. Overall, this is a great little campground, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Lakeside retreat

Was there for 2 nights lakeside, no power or water. There is a few water stations located throughout. Bathrooms and showers were clean. Great views! Groceries in Hiawassee just a quick drive away. Was 10/night with National park pass

Bathing optional???

This campground could be amazing, IF they had more than 2 showers! There are only 2 bathhouses in the campground, with only one shower in each women’s and one in each men’s room. Also, there’s only two toilets in each women’s room. This is a real problem when the campground is full, plus a two night minimum was required when I stayed. So if you are not in an rv with a restroom/shower, keep in mind the bathhouse situation.

The campground is right on the lake, and it is beautiful! I stayed in tent site #62, it is the first site when you enter the campground only area. I was in a rooftop tent, so wasn’t able to park on the tent pad, but was able to make it work. The first sites are pretty close together, with not much privacy from your neighbors. There were other sites farther down that looked more spacious. We did not have electricity r water hookups, but there was a water spout nearby. The tent pad was pretty small, and was taken up by a giant concrete picnic table that was too small for an adult to sit at. You would need a small done tent for this one. The site text to us had a couple of some tents and put in on the pad and one on a flat spot in the grass and it worked for them.

The rv sites with hookups are all higher on the hill, but I believe they pretty much all had like views. The sites weren’t as spacious as I would like.

The campground has a swimming area, playground, boat launch, paved walking trails, very popular area for bike riding (if you like hills), fishing, basketball courts, picnic pavilion, etc.

There’s a camp store with essentials, including ice and firewood. The lady working in there was exceptionally nice and friendly!

The campground is conveniently located just a couple miles from the exit, and very close to West Knoxville. I really would love to see some updates on this potential gem!

Taken Back at first, but....

I was a little taken back when we first arrived at this campground because of how many people lived here long-term. There were clearly people who had been here for a very long time, even having pole barns put up over there rigs. I was slightly turned off by it because it felt like we were pulling in to a trailer park to camp (nothing wrong with trailer parks at all, just didn’t want to camp at one). We were only there for one night, but my views of the place quickly changed. Everyone here was so friendly and nice, and there is really good community here. The ground are decently taken care of aside from the long-term residents. The pool seems to be clean and the playground was fun for the little ones.

This campground is easy access from I-75.

Loud

Location is convenient but definitely more suited for campers than tents. Highway traffic noise (semis, engine braking) is LOUD…might be ok in a camper but not in a tent. Sites are small, close together and mostly gravel. Facilities are nice and clean.

Nice Campground

This is a nice Campground but most all sites are close together and on a hillside. Sites were mostly level requiring very little adjustment of RV. Pool was very nice as well as playground. We felt as if the the sites were not equal to what you paid for them (priced a little high) as compared to other campgrounds in the area. Probably will not return.

Nice Campground

Nice campground with plenty of sites, most with full hookups. Plenty of 50amp options. The campground does have a section of full time sites and some of those are beginning to look a little shabby, however they all are in an area together. Clean Bathhouses, 2 nice pools and a lazy river along with a playground. Campground is along a Creek so there should be fishing available. We have stayed here several times over the years and will do so again.

Great Group Camp

This group camp was perfect for our needs big enough for the family and friends to join us. They have a trolley that comes and will take you to Gatlinburg if you want to go that way.There plenty of trails and sites to see within a short distance. The Little River runs down through the middle of it and is perfect if you want to fly fish or if you just want to go get your feet wet and get a little cool. Very picturesque!!

Family Friendly Camping

This is a campground that definitely caters to families. Lots to do for the kids. Pool, waterslide, playground, fishing pond and other activities seasonally. Nice camp sites with full hookups available. My only complaint is the small amount of 50amp hookups. We have moved up in RV size from a pop up and find it hard to get a site for our new unit. Other than that, we highly recommend this resort.

14a

Amazing site and campground.

Very Nice place to Visit

The views are great here , there is a trail that is over the  tunnel that is pretty neat. You can stand on three states( Virginia , Tennessee and Kentucky) in two spots in the park . The trails here are decent to hike on. The only problem is the upkeep at times.  The park has a  cave that was closed we could not see it on the side we were on. It was only until we exit the cave when the sign was visible.

Great MTB Trails

Great location right on Trail system. Hot showers, clean toilets.

Cataloochee Campground

This was a nice campground. A creek ran along one side and a small stream on the other side. The camp sites were nice and consisted of a fire pit, pic-nic table, and raised bed for your tent. There was only one bathroom but the campground was small enough that it wasn’t too far of a walk. The bathrooms had a sink in the middle for washing dishes. The campground included a water pump as well. The campground was an extremely short walk to a trail head and less than a 2 minute drive from where you could see elk and Turkey from your car. The only negatives were you were next to a road, and while you couldn’t see the cars, you could hear them but there was very little traffic, and you were at least 20 minutes from any store in case you needed ice, or something of that nature.

Extremely nice!

We will visit here again. The staff is friendly, attentive and informative The sites are spacious and well maintained. Every site has flowers planted in adorable planters making it very homey. While not a large campground there is plenty to do nearby. Highly recommend this campground

Served us well

Got there in time to catch a first come first served rv site and glad we did! Nice big site. Helpful staff. Great location. Explored Asheville but would like to check out the area more next time like the trails and such.

Beautiful!

When visiting Gatlinburg and camping this is a great spot! Close to town and you can take the trolley in if you like. Cool down in the river or go for a scenic drive.

This is how "luxury" is done

I was googling places to go on our RV trip and stumbled upon Anchor Down on the old Google. As I looked around, I struggled to find a legitimate bad review. The pictures all looked great, so we decided to book. We secured site 53 for two nights (it was all that was available).

Before arrival, I had called to change our site when I found our site open. The lady on the phone was super nice, and informative about the seasonal activities. The initial taste was good.

When we arrived, we were met by a greeter, who took down our plate number and sent us in to check in. The whole process took just a few minutes, and we were on our way. The view does not really come into play until you come up over the hill after registration. Even with the water level down, Douglas Lake is a site to see. We wound around and EASILY backed into our site. The sites are all pretty large (way bigger than our 30' rental), paved and flat. The hookups are right where they should be, and they even include cable and wifi. We did not use either, but it is a great added value for the price. The view alone was worth a million dollars. The fireplace was another.

We ordered several buckets of wood ($5 cash or $7.50 card…it is an outside vendor they buy from). They deliver it to your site within minutes in a bucket, and each bucket is more than a typical bundle. We also rented a golf cart for $35 a day. we found this to be essential to just get around for our family.

The pool was great, and the waterslide was perfect for the kids. Later in the week and weekends, they have a food truck outside the pool area. We got some ice cream and enjoyed the great view. The resort has a playground, laundry, showers etc. The bath and shower houses are immaculate. The entire place is run with pride and a sense of service. We will come back in a heartbeat.

While we loved our site, even if you are stuck with the very last site…take it. There is really no bad site in this place.

Great stay in Gatlinburg

Friendly staff and quiet camp. Laundry facilities are expensive at $4 to wash and $1.50/ 20 minutes drying. The camp is a little tight so if anyone is towing a vehicle and they haven't unhooked or pulled away from their site then the road is blocked but the camp is a loop so you can always go the other way since there isn't a direction specified.

Decent site

No sewer hook-ups and alcohol is not allowed on the grounds. Supposed to have a 14 day maximum stay but walking around you can tell there are plenty of long-term parkers. The road in is rough with potholes and the transition from blacktop to cement at the gate is a huge jarring transition. Probably a 3 inch difference. Not exactly what I want to hit on the way to my site.

In the hills

I visited Moonshine Creek Campground with a group of friends. There had been mudslides over the winter so there were renovations going on. The sites are close together BUT so skillfully incorporated into the architecture that you really don’t notice. Cute cabins to rent and secluded tent sites, all with a stream running through the middle of the campground. My site was right next to the stream and little covered bridge. It sounded like it was always raining. We used the pavilion for get togethers, it has a nice kitchen area with a grill. Right outside the pavilion is a pit campfire for groups. There are cabins and sites up along the hillside which have a view and a little more privacy. Town is close by and window shopping is a must. There are several hiking opportunities in the area.

Nice Campground in Cherokee

Nice and quiet campground. They have security that rides through frequently. It is family friendly, has laundromat and a game room. Very clean campground, friendly staff, and has several spaces right on the creek. The spaces have large gravel which is better suited for rv’s and campers than a tent.

Lovely Campground

This campground is a hidden gem in the Pigeon Forge area. It is close enough to town for convenience, but far enough away that you are not bothered by the hustle and bustle of the Parkway. The campsites are spacious and clean. The RV parking pads are level and gravel, and the cement patio provides a nice place to relax outside. The Pigeon Forge public trolley stops every hour, offering the convenience of visiting town without having to find a place to park! Highly recommended.

Hidden Gem

Nice quiet little campground. Nice level camp sites, each with a fire pit/grill. Make your reservation well in advance because this spot fills up quick. Nice to have a flushable bathroom nearby. Our family has been camping this spot for years and now that it’s part of the state park, they have made some nice improvements. Access to several hiking trails, including one to Abrams Falls. Float the river and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

No horsin around

I visited Bristol Fields for a planned primitive camping event with a group. I’m glad I arrived in daylight because my first drive in on the approximately 4 mile stretch of dirt and gravel road was a little nerve racking. Mostly because I wasn’t 100% sure I was going the correct way and second because there are some nice drop offs from the road. It is a wide road (about 1 1/2 lane)but passing in some areas would be interesting. Stay right and you will find the sign. The campground is primarily for horse oriented camping. It is split into three areas. The first section to the right as you pull in is the area we set up in. Then there is a long field that is obviously for horse trailer parking and camping with tie out poles included. There is a small tree break prior to the last area which has the pit style latrine and a large field for camping use. This whole area is bordered by a nice cold stream that is excellent for soaking your sore muscles in after a horse ride or hike. There is direct access to horse and hiking trails that are not extremely scenic (as in no long views until you get to the top) but will give you a good vertical workout. You can run or bike ride on the road too. There are several large fire pit areas throughout and a fire circle with wood chairs in the main area. There were five of us, three tent campers and two in vans and we had plenty of room to set up. The gravel center with picnic table worked well as our “kitchen” and dining area. Once parked my vehicle didn’t move again until it was time to leave. Total black at night meant excellent star gazing and the creek was the loudest thing out there. It did seem to be a young adult destination in the evenings, but they left when they saw that the site was occupied. A nice feature someone created was a “dam” of rocks with a round pool to sit in. Excellent get away with no electronics to speak of.

Quiet side of the Smokies

This is our favorite campground in the Smokies, we go here often.  FYI there are NO showers at campgrounds in the GSMNP.  There aren't any groceries stores near by so have what you need before.  There are a few small stores near the entrance.  There are way fewer tourist on the east side of GSMNP.  Chataloochee Valley is nice day trip to see all the Elk and historical buildings also really nice hiking.

Family Favorite!!

We have stayed here many times and absolutely LOVE it! The atmosphere is wonderful, family friendly and very peaceful. There are 2 pools, a lazy river, a playground and air mattress, plus it is just a couple of minutes from the Parkway, yet it feels like it is much farther from town. The bath houses are very clean and there is live entertainment on the weekends. This is our go-to stay when we are hiking The Smokies.

Beautiful Property and Friendly Staff

Meticulously maintained grounds, stable power, and warm staff. Sites are spacious and level. Clean water and stable power.

Pretty campground!

This was a nice campground in the smokies! There is a big campstore with food and ice cream right outside the campground. Nice bathrooms, no showers that I saw. This campground is in the perfect location to explore the cades cove loop in the early morning, where you can see wildlife and beat the crowds.

Beautiful Campground

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday in one of the camping cabins. We will definitely be back now that we have our A-frame camper. The campground is beautiful with a mountain stream flowing through the entire campground. Immaculate bathhouses and wonderful owners. Great store onsite and lots to do in the surrounding area.