The best camping in
New York

Camping New York

No matter what kind of camping you’re into; seaside, mountainside, lakeside, even city side, New York has it all. There’s a countless number of places where you can pitch a tent, park a car, or rent a cabin. Camping in New York also means you’ve always got a ton of activities nearby, like swimming, hiking, fishing, canoeing, even mountain biking.

Some of the best camping in New York can be found in the Finger Lakes. Here you’ll find places like the Hickory Hill Family Camping Resort that offers themed weekends, as well as spa services, mini golf, wagon rides, and swimming pools. One of the more popular Finger Lakes destinations is Watkins Glen State Park, which has 19 waterfalls within a two mile walk. The park also has an Olympic sized pool, hot showers, and restrooms.

Dreaming of city life? The Hudson Valley region offers many wonderful places to pitch your tent. Located near the Hudson River, the towns of Kingston, Poughkeepsie, Peekskill, West Point, White Plains, and Suffern (to name a few) all have great areas for camping in New York. And, they’re all accessible by train to and from the city.

If you’re into small maritime villages on the other side of the Hudson River and the East River, Long Island boasts some of the best camping in New York. On the island, surf-casting, fresh seafood, and sandy beaches are plentiful. If you make it all the way out to the end of the island, a visit to the Montauk Lighthouse, which was commissioned by George Washington, is a must see.

And, if mountains are your thing, head to the Catskills, the Adirondacks, or even Bear Mountain State Park where you’ll find forests, hidden streams, hiking trails, and mountains galore. Whatever your style, you’ll find camping in New York to compliment it. With the Dyrt, you’ll be able to discover just the right place to lay your head for a night, a weekend, a week, or even a month.

Recent Reviews in New York
Nice little escape

This was my first real camping trip since I was a boy, almost 30  years ago.

I was pleasantly surprised with the experience.  I'm not a big people person so I was worried it was going to be people on top of people, but it wasn't.  Sites were spaced out enough that you know someone was in the site next to you, but you couldn't see them.

The real drag was the cleanliness of the sites, we arrived on a Thursday and pretty much had our pick of sites out of 15.  I think we found the cleanest non occupied one by far, but there were others that it looked like a kegger was hosted there the night before.

Please practice carry in/carry out.

Each site had a clearing for at least 1 fairly sized tent, a ringed campfire and plenty of branches and sticks to get things going.

Some wildlife around, but for the most part it was you and nature.

There is a small town not 15 minutes away if you needed or forgot something and it was pretty simple to get there.

I think we have decided to go back again this year as it is close enough to Buffalo, NY that there isn't a lot of planning involved.

Horrible Customer Service

I would like to start off by saying this was our first time visiting the Medina Wildwood Koa and unfortunately it will have to be our last. Our camp ground it’s self was great. Lots of space, a picnic bench, a fire pit, a grill and even a lake you can fish/rent boats to go on right behind us!

There were many different ways to keep busy and have fun. We were able to float in tubes at the creek, go swimming, rent a peddle boat, play at the playground, rent a golf cart, and jump on a big jumping pillow. And I must say the bathrooms were pristine and air conditioned! Loved that!!

The major problem with this campground is the very rude people. Not only was the customer service absolutely horrible and spoke to not only adults but also children in a very rude harsh way making us ALL feel incompetent/uneducated but the regulars at this campground are just as rude and disrespectful. How can you ever feel welcome or want to come back to a campground with staff saying things like: “You must not know how to read” and clearing there throats very loudly with their arms crossed before telling us other things we may have been doing wrong very sarcastically.

I do admit that we did do some things the wrong way and as soon as we found out or saw on our own we corrected them. It’s just not something I would ever want to endure again especially since my kids feelings were hurt the most and this was ment for them to have fun.

Beautiful waterfront spot and nice amenities

We had a great holiday weekend in this campground of Adirondack. It’s nice to close to the river, also you can rent boats from the registration. There are lots of facilities you can use, also it’s close to few hiking trails. Will definitely come back again.

Awesome for a family

This place is great for a family. Water park, fishing, kayaking, swimming. It has it all. We went on the 4th of July and they had amazing fireworks and activities galore for the kids. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Perfect /excellent

If your looking for a campsite thats private and clean this should be your top pick .This was my first time camping and i wanted my husband to do what he enjoys (outdoor) camping. i am so glad we got to enjoy ourselves and i was able to have a beautiful experience  the site was perfect, location was great and theres alot to do within the area .very private and i must say you feel right at home .totally making this our annual family camping ground.

Thanks rich well see you next yr 😀

Great Place

owners are so nice and it’s right in the water with access via boat or even kayak to Slyvan Beach. We love it here and will definitely be back!!

Nice little place

Nice place. Has plenty of close by attractions. Kids enjoyed the the big playground and mini arcade. Has a large pool for swimming and fun activities

One of our favorite places. Very well kept, clean. Beautiful all year round

Nice atmosphere

Nice secluded place. Quiet surroundings with lots of stuff for kids to do. Swimming, fishing, putt putt, petting zoo. Camp sites are clean and large. Ownership is extremely friendly. Will visit again.

Good game