About Willow River
No WiFi
Willow River is located in Wisconsin
42 Reviews of Willow River
Awesome Campground Close to the Cities

Private sites with electric hook up and a dump station in the 200 camp ground. Great hiking trails to the river and waterfall. We had little to no bugs! Public showers were closed when we went there. Firewood is available to buy certain days when there is someone at the station. Only con is that you had to purchase a year park pass in order to camp, I’m not sure if that’s changed.

Amazing campground close to the Twin Cities

Pros:

* A long, but pleasant, walk to a beautiful waterfall. Lots of streams and small pools of water, as well as large boulders, for the kids to explore.

* We didn't use the beach, but it looked nicer than most we've seen in WI state parks.

* The campgrounds were large and wooded.

Cons:

* Lots of bees this weekend, for some reason. Perhaps due to all the wildflowers blooming!

* Not as much privacy between sites as we'd like

* We saw quite a few younger party groups with louder music and drinking games

Woodsy

For RVs they Only have electric hookup, and long the walk to the falls

Beautiful camping and hiking destination

This park has literally everything to offer for campers. There is a newly filled lake after the reconstruction of the dam. This is a non motorized lake for paddling, swimming and fishing. The lake is fed by the Willow River which features one of the most beautiful water falls in Wisconsin. There are miles of well maintained trails from easy and flat to hilly and challenging.

The campgrounds in both the 300 and group camp areas are heavily wooded. Shower facilities and easy potable water access. This campground would get a 5 star if the camp sites were bigger. Most of the spots in the 300 by Little Falls lake are close together with little separation or privacy. The park offers so much recreation that this downside can be overlooked.

Oh, and the bug levels are extremely low. They must treat the park as there are virtually no mosquitos on the summer trails and heavily used areas of the park!

Best state park in Wisconsin

The hike to the falls is a must-do. Like others said, it gets crowded in the summer. There’s a nice 6 mile loop with lots of hills, and plenty shorter hikes around the lake a dam. Camp in the 100 or 200 sites for a more peaceful camping experience. There’s a small beach and boat launch, and plenty of picnic sites. We also biked on the st croix river trail, and enjoyed the cute small towns on both sides of the river. For rvs, this is the dream campground. There’s wide gravel and mostly level sites, with plenty of space for slide outs. Big sites, yet private ! Nice bathrooms and great showers in the 100 campground. Can’t wait to come here again!!

Worth the camp!

I camped here when I was younger, and i loved it so much that I constantly thought about it and eventually brought my own family here recently. If you’re looking for a nice campsite to stay and a place to explore, then this is it! Try it, and I bet you’ll love it as much as I do!

Hiking!!

Great for hiking and mountain biking! Campsites are pretty private except to people walking the trails. The falls are gorgeous!! Great for swimming when the water is not too high. There is also a little park for kids near the day parking area towards the end of the park. Saw a tone of deer while walking the trails- even though my dogs were with me!

Solid Weekend Campsite

The hiking here is great, there are a few different trails that are more difficult and quiet, and the trail to the falls is beautiful. It has gotten more popular in recent years, but if you hike to the falls early in the AM or later at night and during the week, you can beat some of the weekend traffic. I recommend camping in the 100 campgrounds-RV lot, even if you have a tent. They are quieter and more private, and the other campgrounds go through main trails. The 300 campgrounds in particular is on the hike to the falls, so you will see people all day.

Beautiful & BIG

We had a RV, Class C, and no addl vehicle. This park is HUGE & a separate vehicle or bikes at the minimum are needed. We camped in the 100 campground and the lake was 2+ miles (one way) away.

Also, we had a pre-schooler. I felt this park was fabulous for older kids. The playground was fine (closed due to corona) was fine. But really with the amount of space, older kids and bikes would be ideal.

Walk to waterfall was fabulous. My 4 year old granddaughter struggled with super steep hill on return route. But was able to do it!

Private sites at well spaced. No water on site. There is water and dump station at the 300 campground.

Great picnic table and fabulous restrooms & showers.

Great campground

Views are good. Firewood expensive.