The best camping in
Utah

Utah is primarily known for two things: its world-class skiing and winding slot canyons. But the Beehive State has much more to offer the outdoor enthusiast. It's home to five national parks and eight national monuments. And that's just the beginning. There is no shortage of exotic camping in Utah.

For desert dwellers, Monument Valley never disappoints. It’s the kind of place that leaves a person searching for meaning. When the sun dips below the monuments and the sky radiates with color, it’s easy to see why the Navajo people revere the land. Media buffs will also recognize the familiar landmarks from film and TV. Those visiting Bears Ears can see Monument Valley in the distance from campsites like Muley Point.

Campers who visit Goblin Valley get a unique experience. An amphitheater of bizarrely-shaped hoodoos greets visitors. Even though there are hoodoos all over Utah, none compare to the “goblins” in this state park. They make an excellent backdrop for photos, adventure, games, and soul-searching.

A worthy Utah destination is Zion National Park, growing more popular by the year. The etched canyon walls make a lasting impression, as they jut thousands of feet up from the earth. The sense of perspective visitors experience keeps them coming back. The Watchman campground is a popular choice for campers. It offers accessibility to trails, the Virgin River, a shuttle bus, and the adjacent town.

Many will also make a trip to nearby Bryce Canyon National Park, to see the infamous spires. Staying at the North campground is a great way to see the best parts of the park.

It doesn’t take a road trip to go camping in Utah. The state capital, Salt Lake City, butts up against the Wasatch Mountains. Fifteen minutes up one of the canyons is all it takes to trade city noise for alpine meadows and lakes. In the summer, Albion Basin blooms with color. Red Pine Lake is a secluded campsite with two lakes and frequent wildlife sightings.

For a different kind of mountain experience, the Uinta Mountains aren’t much farther. They’re the only mountain range in the contiguous US that runs east-west. Still part of the Rockies, they’re Utah’s highest range, with King’s Peak topping out at 13,528 feet. Most of the camping is dispersed, but Mirror Lake is a great campground right off the main scenic highway.

There’s something for everyone in the great state of Utah. From the desert climate to the fresh mountain air; unique experiences found only in the land of Zion. With nooks and crannies waiting to be explored, camping in Utah is, indeed, life elevated.

Recent Reviews in Utah
Off the Grid dispersed BLM campsites

This was one of the more surreal Blm land camping sites I had ever come across, camp underneath towering buttes for miles and miles, totally dispersed from other campers in breathtaking views.

Awesome area!

This place has lots and lots of places to pull off and camp pretty much to accommodate any group size. Good fishing, good riding and away from everything what’s not to love?!

Great campsite!!!

We use this camp sight usually about twice a year and each year it’s awesome. Easy to get in get out. Everything is clean the roads to the mountains are around the corner and the lake is very close by as well! Good all around.

Primitive, but not

I like that this locations feels primitive, but isn’t far from civilization. We went in March and it was a little cold, but we setup the trailer and the heater worked great. There are several dispersed areas around for the weekends when this place is probably crowded.

Super clean and lots of space

We loved camping here for a couple days. The scenery was beautiful and we enjoyed being a little more secluded in our site. Lots of green grass and the sites are great with a sunshade over the tables and great fire pits. We stayed in an trailer, but each site had a tent pad that is well taken care of.

Great to be back

I stayed at Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park for a few nights last year and loved it so much that I came back with a friend for a few nights. The campground itself is awesome. Each site has a picnic table, grill, fire pit, good parking, trees, and a water pump nearby. The bathrooms are nice (real plumbing) and the showers are heavenly after days on the road without a way to bathe. Love the sand dunes as well. All of the campsites are with in a reasonable distance to the bathrooms and the stars are amazing here.

This is an awesome place to stay if you want to be close to both Bryce and Zion National Parks. Only downside is that there is absolutely NO cell signal. Great place to get away from everything, but if you're trying to be in contact with the outside world this is not the place to do it.

2 for the view!

First off let me say this is not a review on either the cabin or the tents. Usually I am pretty easy when it comes to reviewing sites. I know that everyone has their on preferences on what they like and dislike about where we stay. The Water canyon Cliffside is basically a site that someone took a bulldozer and knocked down some trees and made a slight effort at leveling. I camp with a rooftop tent mounted on a Ford F-150 so I don't need much to make a site work, but I do need a somewhat level place to park and room to open the tent. The site I was assigned was so off level I would have had to put 8" of block under my tires and then open up with my ladder either on the heavy downhill slope or up against a hill with big rocks and cactus. My only option was to setup in the turnaround at the top of the road, if only they put that much work into their camp sites. I don't see how the smaller tent sites were much better, especially having to pay for the privilege! In summary, find a different place if you can, the tents looked nice, the bathroom was decent except that in the dark you potentially have the danger of stepping in a vicious grouping of cactus. I think if your going to run a campground, you should put a little more effort into making it useable.

Awesome place to Social Distance

What an awesome weekend at this Campground. Although the campground was full, it was so quiet and peaceful. The hiking around the park are wonderful and we barely saw anyone (which was good because we went there to Social Distance!). Clean restrooms, clean campground. Camp hosts were wonderful and quite nice. If you are looking for a place to getaway, and enjoy seeing awesome stars at night/incredible scenery during the day, then this is your place.

Just as a heads up, no cell service here at all. I didn't mind, but coming home to 168 emails was a bit of a shocker. There are some sites with full hookups, some with just water and power, and some standard sites. There are multiple campgrounds here as well.

We visited March 20-22, 2020. It did get a little cold at night, but in our Motorhome, it was quite comfy for me and my family.

Great Place to Rest

We drove 16 hours from WA and needed someplace to sleep so this dispersed campground was a great find. We pull in in the middle of the night only to wake up and find ourselves among the red rocks. There are absolutely no amenities here, but there are several established sites with fire pits. Good views and a good spot close to the park if you're okay with going without water and plumbing for the night.

Free and Spacious

We car camped at Willow Springs for 2 nights and had an awesome experience. The road getting into the area itself is easy enough for any car and then the campsite roads vary from totally flat to requiring 4WD. There were lots of people camping but plenty of space between all of the sites (and a huge variety in site choices). Awesome view of the La Sal mountains on a clear day and the stars were amazing too. Great place to camp for free near Moab. I will definitely be back.