THE BEST CAMPING IN
Utah

Utah is primarily known for two things: its world-class skiing and winding slot canyons. But the Beehive State has much more to offer the outdoor enthusiast. It's home to five national parks and eight national monuments. And that's just the beginning. There is no shortage of exotic camping in Utah.

For desert dwellers, Monument Valley never disappoints. It’s the kind of place that leaves a person searching for meaning. When the sun dips below the monuments and the sky radiates with color, it’s easy to see why the Navajo people revere the land. Media buffs will also recognize the familiar landmarks from film and TV. Those visiting Bears Ears can see Monument Valley in the distance from campsites like Muley Point.

Campers who visit Goblin Valley get a unique experience. An amphitheater of bizarrely-shaped hoodoos greets visitors. Even though there are hoodoos all over Utah, none compare to the “goblins” in this state park. They make an excellent backdrop for photos, adventure, games, and soul-searching.

A worthy Utah destination is Zion National Park, growing more popular by the year. The etched canyon walls make a lasting impression, as they jut thousands of feet up from the earth. The sense of perspective visitors experience keeps them coming back. The Watchman campground is a popular choice for campers. It offers accessibility to trails, the Virgin River, a shuttle bus, and the adjacent town.

Many will also make a trip to nearby Bryce Canyon National Park, to see the infamous spires. Staying at the North campground is a great way to see the best parts of the park.

It doesn’t take a road trip to go camping in Utah. The state capital, Salt Lake City, butts up against the Wasatch Mountains. Fifteen minutes up one of the canyons is all it takes to trade city noise for alpine meadows and lakes. In the summer, Albion Basin blooms with color. Red Pine Lake is a secluded campsite with two lakes and frequent wildlife sightings.

For a different kind of mountain experience, the Uinta Mountains aren’t much farther. They’re the only mountain range in the contiguous US that runs east-west. Still part of the Rockies, they’re Utah’s highest range, with King’s Peak topping out at 13,528 feet. Most of the camping is dispersed, but Mirror Lake is a great campground right off the main scenic highway.

There’s something for everyone in the great state of Utah. From the desert climate to the fresh mountain air; unique experiences found only in the land of Zion. With nooks and crannies waiting to be explored, camping in Utah is, indeed, life elevated.

Recent Reviews in Utah
Beautiful area to camp

Love this area. It is beautiful and has a lot of fun hikes. There are several areas with fire pits and a couple of areas off the side of the road that are not official camping areas but are a bit more secluded. The only downside is if you go on a weekend a lot of dirt bikes and ATVs come up the trail early and wake you up. Otherwise super beautiful!

Great lake to play at.

This is a great place for a campsite. There is a really nice pavilion and really nice bathrooms with running water and showers. Close to the boat ramp and the views are incredible.  Really nice paths to get you to the beach and the boat ramp.

Lots of fish in the lake and craw fish. The water is refreshing to swim, water ski, paddle board or any water sport.

Lots of tent camping spots with great views, Group sites and lots of trailer camping with hook ups and water.

Lots of bathrooms with running water and also a few pit style outhouses. This campground can get busy in the summer months. They take reservations so that is your best option.

Beautiful scenery you have to see in person.

Just returned from 2 nights, my only negative is the assignment of walk up sites. Arrived the first day in plenty of time only to get the group overflow section, being told we could get a regular site the next day. Showed up the next morning first in line to only be told we want to accommodate the folks staying 2-3 nights not one more. Decided to stay in the what basically is a parking lot for the group site. So note make sure everyone is on the same page for site assignment. Okay the positive it actually is a beautiful camp ground and state park. All levels hiking, climbing etc. Clean facilities and friendly staff. Next time I’ll make advanced reservation since the walk up part is a mess.

Great Place

A little rough getting back in very far with a Class C but we did & found a pretty quiet place the 2nd night. First night we were closer to the highway & more traffic going back & forth until late with people looking for spots.

Ride and relax

We stayed at a group site without hookups for a week in mid-May and had a great time! The park was not crowded at all. There are trails for all SxS/quad level riders, including dunes and rock crawling. Awesome views at the Top of the World! The lake was perfect for swimming, floating, paddle boarding, and kayaking. We heard about the swimmers itch but didn’t have any issues (showered after swimming). The bathrooms were large and clean with warm showers. Water and dump station are right by the entrance. The location was close to Walmart and other stores. We also drove about 40 minutes to Springdale and Zion National Park.

This campsite was closed by the Forest Rangers fall 2018.

This campsite was closed by the Forest Rangers fall 2018.

Great camping location!

This place is perfect and typical Moab. Right next to the FAMOUS slickrock trail, this location was great to camp in!

Great place to camp and fish.

This is a fun place close to the lake. Lots of really good fishing from shore as well as boat access. The camp sites are big with nice tables and lots of room.

They have nice bathrooms, and big campsites.  Nice tables at the campsite and it is close to the lake. We caught lots of crawfish and lots of trout.

Great hiking spot

Made several trips through this camping ground to hike through the red rock canyons behind. Super fun and great when the snow melts! The campgrounds were all pretty open but seemed pretty clean with easy access.

Ranger Review Mountain House Meals in Moab

Campground Review

Moab was AMAZING! Moab Rim RV Campark was just as fabulous with 6 stars for customer service and overall experience. We came in late on Easter weekend during the Easter Jeep Safari Event. They were packed but found a place for us in the back. The host brought out a picnic table and fire ring for us, even offering a barbecue upon request. The Restrooms were Super clean and the hot water seemed endless in the shower. Guys get there early my hubby said the wait in the men’s room for anything was horrible, I did not have that experience on the Ladies side. The camping inside the inner circle seemed super nice with grass and shade, some sites even having shade structures. We were in the back lot (79) not on the map pictured. The CampPark also had several small cabins that looked adorable, and prices vary by season. Wi-Fi was available, the general store had a little bit of everything and it’s just down the street from downtown Moab! I would recommend this campground to everyone! Totally family and pet friendly and the perfect base camp for all your Moab adventures. Arches National Park is 4 miles from Moab and Canyonlands another 30+ Miles. If you have Children be sure to stop at the visitor center prior to your adventure and pick up a “Junior Ranger” packet and get your kids involved and enable them to earn their junior ranger badge for each National Park! Shaffer trail was also really cool out of canyonlands, I believe it was roughly 45 miles of dirt trail. Absolutely breathtaking red rock views and you may even catch a peak at a big horn sheep if you’re lucky!

Product Review

Mountain House Ice Cream Sandwiches

As a Ranger for https://thedyrt.com/ I occasionally have the elite privilege of trying out fantastic products such as this. Our thoughts you ask?  WOW WOW AND WOW.. where have these been all my hiking days! An Ice cream Sandwich at the end, middle or beginning of any trail is a sure motivator in our family now. After discovering https://www.mountainhouse.com/ Ice cream sandwiches on our trip to Arches NP in Moab, Utah I don't think another backpacking or hiking trip would be complete without them. What I really enjoyed about the product was it seemed to always be enough and didn't leave me feeling dehydrated and parched. Shout out to all the parents wanting more miles out of your tiny humans, this is a game changer. No preparation or water required was a bonus, just snack and go!

Ranger Review: Morsel XL spork in Bryce Canyon Utah

Campground Review

Ruby’s Inn RV Park and Campground Definitely the closest campground outside of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah with all the amenities (absolutely positively everything) and even a buffet and restaurant within walking distance. We visited Bryce Canyon in the off season and it was still super crowded but worth the views and experience! I would highly recommend making reservations well in advance and planning your trip accordingly in the summer. You can catch the bus right outside the campground that takes you straight into The National Park so you don’t have to stress about parking (big hassle trust me). We really enjoyed this campground and would definitely stay here again!

Product Review

As a Ranger for the https://thedyrt.com/, occasionally I have the great opportunity to test and review products. At this Campground we had the pleasure of being introduced to https://morselspork.com/ and Wow.. was my first reaction! This XL Morsel is going to be a game changer.. Let’s get down and Dirty and talk sporks!

It’s length alone is the first noticeable upgrade in comparison to generic double sided utensils as seen in my pictures. Standing tall at 10.5 inches the XL Morsel will give you the ability to scrape, scour and reach deep into a dehydrated meal pouch without getting your hands a sticky mess

The second thing I personally noticed out of the box was its giant rubber sided spoon, perfect for scooping and teething according to our little. The spork itself seems extremely durable and also able to withstand boiling water temperatures. Not to mention dishwasher safe. The serrated cutting edge is also a worthy mention! It sliced and Avocado great!

Overall We loved it and we would love to tell the world this this spork has everything the others don't but that’s obvious from the picture comparison. I wish I had an action shot of lunch but I know there will be more chances because  I’ll never leave for an adventure without the https://morselspork.com/ XL again! Even ordered the mini for our “minis” to test on the next stop!

Beautiful location

Red Cliffs is a popular location for locals out of St George for day hikes and school outings because of its geological significance and fossilized dinosaurs prints. There are 11 camping sites that have shade structures, picnic benches, and fire rings. Water faucets are located convenient to each site and bathrooms are vaulted. There is lots of traffic throughout the day with day visitors but evenings are peaceful. Not conducive to large RV’S. The campground fills up regularly so plan for an alternate. KOA is just down the road.

Very nice campground

We found this place by accident and were very pleased. Small campground that is first come -first serve sites. Not suitable for trailers or large RV due to the road going in. Fire pits, tables, and ver clean bathrooms. Located next to the sand stone bluffs and a jumping off point for trail hikers. Will definitely look this place up on our next trip. Be sure to bring your own water.

Amazing campground!

I camped at Kodachrome for two nights back in October 2018.

I got to the campground at around 8:30pm and it was honestly pretty late and the park was super dark. I spent a little too much time exploring Bryce Canyon NP but good thing Kodachrome was only a 30-min drive from the park.

Since I was traveling by myself, it really gave me the peace of mind knowing that there was still a ranger on site to check me into my campsite.

The campground is located in the heart of some of the most beautiful rock formations. I’m not super into stargazing but I can imagine stargazer fans would definitely enjoy the dark skies here. There’s not too much shade for the campsite but they are far away enough from the others so you get to enjoy a good level of privacy.

I didn’t use the showers but they looked very nice and modern. On the way to the campground, I also noticed a laundromat on site. There’s no cell service here but I also use AT&T and that might be why.

Firewood is sold on site and there’s also water easily accessible.

I would definitely come back to the campground! 👌🏼

Average

Have stayed here on two occasions, more recently in April. Our campsite lacked a fire pit or picnic bench however the showers are warm and bathrooms kept clean. If you’re in the area to go digging for trilobites this may be your only option for camping as the town of Delta is small and has little options for overnight staying.

Directions are wrong, paradise is great

If you want to get to paradise, use the paradise guard Station location, then continue down paradise park road.

On your way to Dugway

Stayed here with a group of Scouts on our way to Dugway to look for Geodes. They have nice big spots. Lots of cedar trees. Lots of history and amazing sun sets. This is a great place to pitch a tent or take a trailer.

This is the West desert and it can get hot in the summer months. It is a great place to go in Spring and Fall.

Great campground right on the river.

This is a great campground right on the Green river next to the beautiful Swasey’s beach. It is perfect for anyone getting off the river from Deso-Grey Canyons or a day float down from Nefertiti. The beach is right next to the campground and green river is only 12 or so miles away. There are not many spots, so get there early on a busy weekend!

Friendly and immaculate

This spacious RV park has two pools (one limited to adults only), two dog parks (one large enough for big dogs to run and fetch), two sets of pickle ball courts and is spacious and level and nice/ oh, my.

The staff are friendly and lead you to your RV site (and actually collected and filled and delivered our propane tanks). They have a few cabins but are mostly laid out for newer RVs. They ask the age and type when making reservations. Good Sam discounts apply. This is a very nice “the only 5 star “ RV Park in Utah.

Great for kids and fishing

Campsites are close but the tall trees offer privacy. The lake is a short walk and has a nice path all the way around it with some good fishing areas and a small “beach” area. Paved roads with picnic tables and fire rings and pit bathrooms.

Views All Around

This is a great backpacking campsite. Permit is required as are wag bags and leave no trace. I tracked it at 3 miles from Elephant Canyon trailhead. It was a 2 mile hike to Druid Arch from this site. No service and no water so plan accordingly.

Quaint

We stayed here for one night on our way from Escalante through BCNP and back to SLC. We had a spot next to the water. It was calm and quiet. The bathrooms were immaculate and we loved the little mile hike in the campground. Despite the crazy amount of red ants, we loved the spot and would definitely come back!

Nice place to camp.

This is a very easy place to throw a tent up or park an RV close to lake and good fishing. In some beautiful country.

There are some primitive bathrooms, and nice tables. The campsites are big. The only downside to this campsite is the road is close by and can be noisy.

City camping at it's finest.

This is a great place to camp within the city of Lehi. It is close to the water and in the hot summer it is a fun spot for a night get away. Big camp sites for trailers or tents and nice bathrooms.

We take our scout troop to this campsite at least once a year. It is close to the city but feels like it is not. really nice bathrooms, tables, and pavilions. Close to a river and have lots of space.

Horrible Park Service

The horrible park service at Arches and recreation.org have problems. Reservations that cancel and show available as "Walk-In" are not. The rangers sell those cancelled reservations to campers who are already staying at the campground and would like extra days. They discouraged us from trying to be there to get any spots opening the next morning and said they were probably all sold, any of the sites that said first come first serve, on recreation.org. Such a disorganized mess. They dont even keep a tally or list as to what they have sold or to which camper. Claim because of no cell service. But they have radios. And a list of cancelled reservations to sell that morning. Such a BS way of running a camp. Reservations only. Which sell out 6 months in advance and go on sale on a certain day. What a mess Arches NP was. Lines to the highway every day, 30+ min to get into the park, nope. Not my style.

Make sure you bring a boat!!

This is a great place to camp close to the lake. Lots of sandy beaches close and lots of fun in Powell. It can get hot so having a place to get out of the sun is key.

Big campsites with a table and nice restrooms. The only problem is in the summer it can be over 100 degrees. This is a great way to see Lake Powell.

Lots of fish in the reservoir

This is a fun place to visit while in Wayne County. The fishing is awesome and there is always lots of wildlife to see. You can also camp in the aspen tree.

Big campsites with tables, close to Fish Lake and lots of mountain views.

Great place to camp

Lots of rivers close, and a view of Joes Valley. Nice big camp sites.

When we stayed here it was in the summer and we were the only ones in the whole campground. Big campsites with nice tables and bathrooms.

So Amazing

Bring lots of water. And ice. Especially in summer. Town is a long drive. Great spacious spots, sunshade (not rain proof) and picnic tables, fire ring w/grill. Very quiet, but able to hear everyone in camp. Most folks seem to be there to explore or sight see, so up early and to bed early. But be prepared to hear your neighbor. Facilities were cleaned daily. And in excellent condition. Really great spot in Pinion Pines and sagebrush. In such great proximity to trails and viewpoints. We woke up 15 min before sunrise, poured hot water in our French Press, drove to Mesa Arch, pressed, and then hiked watching the sunrise. It was beautiful. One night we took our dinner plates to the overlook for sunset, it was an amazing dinner. Luck of the draw on getting a spot. First come, first serve. I could see it being a mess during peak season and holidays. Although we managed to get a spot and be there for mother's day weekend. Saw many discouraged cars circling and leave on many days, but many sites were available when we left.

Pretty nice

Great facilities, able to walk around town from camp, upkept, clean and seemed safe.

Downfalls would be our ability to hear traffic from our tent camp. And the small area designated for each tent site.

We used it as a restarting point to regroup, do laundry, shower, repack and move onto the next portion of our trip. Also came back for showers on our way through town.