About Newport State Park
No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Newport State Park is located in Wisconsin
10 Reviews of Newport State Park
Great for a first solo backpacking trip!

This is a really nice park and I love that all the campsites were backcountry sites so it was nice and quiet and secluded. I took the slightly longer way to my campsite, but going the shortest route would have been under 2 miles. There are lots of trails in the park, which is mostly flat - I hiked ~15 miles the second day I was there. It was a bit cold in May to hang out on the beach, and I did build a fire each night for warmth. Highly recommend visiting during a new moon if possible - there are SO many stars. There was shore access from my campsite so I could filter water for cooking, etc. There is also potable water at the ranger station as well as flush toilets that are open even when the ranger office is closed.

Beautiful and easy hike in sites

My husband and I stayed at Newport State Park April 12-13th, 2019. We hiked to site 16 but ended up hiking back to site 1 because there was still quite a bit of ice on Lake Michigan by site 16. Both campsites had a fire ring, camp bench seats and bear boxes. The privy by campsite 16 was preferable because it had a half wall instead of being enclosed. Campsite 1 shares its outhouse with campsite 2. The hiking was very easy with minimal elevation change. Lake Michigan was beautiful to look at. Being early spring in Wisconsin it was still slushy and was depositing ice on its shores. A great place for people looking to backpack/hike in. We will be going back.

Hiking Adventure

This campsite on the south side of the park is a mile and a half hike in from the nearest parking lot. The trails are nice, sometimes wide enough to walk side by side. Lots of rocks and roots along the paths, so watch those feet and ankles.

The campsite was great (site 10), right on the shores of Lake Michigan, could easily walk to the water for drinking water, or to rinse and wash dishes. The shoreline is mostly rocks and pebbles. This site didn't have a lot of tree coverage for shade, or trees for placing a hammock.

In May there is an abundance of flies that were swirling around. Found out later these are seasonal "may flies" and they are everywhere. Spiders were also a bit of a surprise at this site, and the number webs that would pop up overnight on every trail we hiked.

All that aside, we hiked over 26 miles of trails at this park and everyone was beautiful. However we were slightly disappointed that there weren't more views of the lakes, as most of the trails were set in just far enough off the coast to obstruct all views. All the trails were well kept, marked and easy to follow.

Away From It All

Newport State Park is one of five State Parks as well as the northern most park on the peninsula in Door County Wisconsin . Out of the four this is my personal favorite! This park is nestled on the "quiet side" of the park on Lake Michigan. The park is more for the "rustic" type and offers many hiking and biking trails as well as swimming in the chilly Waters of Lake Michigan! The park has a beautiful park headquarters building with modern restrooms and drinking water. The park offers camping but there is no campground and all sites need to be hiked to. Some are a short distance and some may be more than a mile. Check out the map ahead of time via the website to plan your hike. You can book some of these in advance, but I have always taken my chances when I get there and pick my campsite then. When arriveing at the headquarters you will be able to see which sites are available as well as a map of where the campsites are located.

There is plenty to do in the area and modern conveniences and entertainment are not far away. If you want solitude in Door County Wisconsint, this is the place to find it!

Backpacking Newbie Approved

For my first foray into backcountry camping, this was a great place to start. The trails take you by water, through woods, and over the right amount of hills for a first-timer getting used to hauling gear around. The gorgeous views of Lake Michigan, accompanied by the quiet, mossy woods made this a picturesque location. The walk-up reservation process was easy, the facilities clean and accessible, and the sites varied enough so that each part of the park had its own unique feel. These most likely contribute to the slightly higher fees ($20/night), but I'd be ready to pay that again for such a positive experience.

Best hike-in camping in Wisconsin!

This is the best place to camp in Wisconsin if you’re looking for a mix of outdoor adventure and touristy activities like drive in theaters and wine tastings. The site we stayed at was a 1.5 mile hike in. You could definitely bring a mountain bike to make the trip to and from your campsite faster but we enjoyed the hike. I’ve been for 2 separate 3-day trips and never once saw another camper. The sites are far enough apart to feel like no one else is around. Enjoy the best that Wisconsin has to offer!

One of my Favorite spots to explore

I used to go camping here as a kid and I loved it. Great view of Lake Michigan and great trails to hike.

Great for short backpacking trips

Newport State park is a great place to take a short backpacking trip to quiet campsites that are near lake Michigan. I haven't been able to score a site yet with lake access but have heard there are some. The sites I have booked have both been large enough for 3 2-person tents and have a food storage bin in each.

If you are new to backpacking and want to try out your pack before heading off on a multiday excursion, I would highly recommend coming here 1st.

The rest of park offers a nice beach and some playground equipment for the kids.

Hidden Jewel

This spot is a yearly favorite. It's probably retained its fresh quiet feel because all the campsites are walk-in… but you don't have to walk that far. Some are just half a mile in!

Beautiful lake michigan or newport bay is close to every site. The beaches offer iconic great lake swimming: clear, cold water and a long blue horizon. Gorgeous wildflowers in the spring, including the rare dwarf lake iris and lots of trillium.

Amenities: Campsites feature fire rings and rustic outhouses. Some protest your modesty just up to the shoulders, leaving you free to watch the birds as you answer nature's call.

Those in the know get on the state park website on January 1st to reserve site 16. Don't tell anyone else.

highly recommended

This is my favorite state park campground in WI! With the hustle and bustle of Door County this park is a huge contrast with solitude and peace abounding… Beautiful, quite sites which are spead out nicely (even the couple that are 'close together' didn't feel public) The sites are all hike in (ranging from 1 mile to 2.5 miles). Each site has some type of pit toilet-type facility near. Many hiking trails along the lake and throughout the state park. I cannot wait to go back to this park!