Grand Canyon National Park, ARIZONA

Camping Arizona Grand Canyon National Park

Most Recent Grand Canyon National Park Camping Reviews
So spacious

I highly recommend this campground. Not only were the people working there so nice the grounds themselves were immaculate. The sites were so big with plenty of room to spread out and have some distance from your neighbors. We stayed Memorial weekend and it was still so peaceful minus once incident with a loud radio from the neighbor who turned it down at 10. If you’re in the area this is a must stay. Be prepared for the cold nights though. We happened to stay during a freak cold snap but it still gets pretty chilly especially if you’re tent camping. PS make sure you’re staying bear safe as they are clearly in this area.

Several sites, feet from the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Free sites, t mobile and Verizon service, amazing views and sunrises. Hikes all around. 2 mile hike into the actual national park. Road is rough, very rough, but 2wd and moderate clearance is fine.

Close to the classics

Close to the village and the rim walk, a great site to stay at for your first trip to the canyon. A bit quieter than some other campgrounds though always packed.

Gorgeous

Challenging hike to the falls (easier earlier in the morning), but unlike anything you’ve seen before. Come to bask in the beauty of this natural wonder, carefully preserved and cared for by the Havasupai tribe to whom we owe a great debt of gratitude for allowing us to share in this beauty.

Indescribable

Havasupai land is beautiful beyond description. You can find a relatively solitary campsite if you look hard enough (and walk the full length of the campground!), and are willing to stream hop once or twice. Be aware that campfires are NOT PERMITTED. Do not bend these rules. If you’re heading there in the cooler months, come prepared with the right layers, don’t pull apart the native vegetation because you didn’t come prepared for the temperature (yes, we saw people doing this. And no, the rangers did not take kindly to it). This part of the world is worthy or respect and protection - if you come prepared, informed and respectful you will have the experience of a life time.

Just outside the park

We car camped here for two nights while we did day trips into the park. It’s a great way to avoid all the campers and noise inside the park. We had a huge bull elk with his cows walk right past our camp. This is a great spot that we will camp at again in the future.

Cancellations for the WIN!

Havasupai was on my radar for a long while, but I'd never managed to land a reservation until this year when I discovered the Havasupai cancellation reservation page. (You can find it by searching on Facebook and they post when new cancellations open and become transferrable).

Everything you've read about how amazing Havasupai is, is true…. Here are a few things I didn't read in advance that I wish I'd known…..

- Take a tarp. The weather can change in a split second in the canyon. I packed one at the last minute and it was THE BEST THING EVER.

- There are raccoons.  I'd read so much about the crazy squirrels who would invade your camp and eat all your food… and we took precautions against them- but nobody ever mentioned the RACCOONS who literally ate all of our food one night -- even though it was in a bucket with a lid.

- Even though people are supposed to carry all of their stuff out, they leave ALOT of stuff. We spent our first day (in the rain) scavenging stuff to keep us dry, and our second day after the raccoons ate all our food scavenging stuff to keep us fed. You probably shouldn't rely on stuff, but people bring in a lot extra, and the community in this camp ground is AMAZING.

Because it rained the full 3 days we were there, we chose to camp on the high ground that is at the forward part of the campground rather than the sites lower down because of the potential of flash floods.

One of only two RV Parks within 25 miles of the Grand Canyons south rim

Under new ownership, the park is being renovated. Built on the former Bedrock City campground. All new 50/30 amp rv pedestals.

Beautiful and Serene

This is one of the most beautiful campgrounds I've been to. We got there later at night and had a little trouble finding it in the dark, and in a rainstorm. We were also having car trouble. The check in hosts were wonderful and helped me figure out getting my car serviced. Which, by the way, the service garage was in the park and had fantastic, helpful people. The sites were spacious and people around us were also great. I can't wait to go back!

Plan B

We waited too long to plan our Grand Canyon North Rim trip so this place was the only option for full hooks up on the North Rim. It’s a good back up option If the National Park sites are all booked. The North Rim only receives about 10% of the overall visitors to the GCNP, so its way less crowded and worth the trip. If you’re looking to ride your dirt bike/ATV, this might be the perfect site. We didn’t bring ours, but we wished he had since there are trails near by the site.

On the drive into the park you can see deer (lots at twilight) and bison.

Pros: lots of trees, toilets, sinks and fire pits. Market onsite with essentials. Access to off road trails for ATVs/dirt bikes.

Cons: The sites are very small and cramped. 45 minute drive to the rim. “Jacob Lake” is a pond- set your expectations accordingly. You have to pay for showers.