Madison, WISCONSIN

Most Recent Madison Camping Reviews
Camping for years hands down the best for hiking & exploring

This is my favorite place to camp, two lakes to canoe or paddle boat on. Beautiful waterfall, awesome hiking. The campsite are wooded and more private than many places I have been. October November less people no bugs and beautiful fall foliage, plus a fire feels good that time of year. Highly recommend!

Family Friendly Camping

Hickory Hills is a quiet but activity filled campground 30 minutes from Madison. There are many permanent campers but they are all friendly and welcoming. The lake has a nice beach. The pool is not too large but works on a hot day. Most people have golf carts as there is no place to park by the pool or the club house. The bathrooms are clean and well maintained. Every weekend there are activities planned from wine tasting to Halloween trick or treating. The sites are large and you can choose from shady or sunny sites. Great place to spend a few days or the whole summer.

Nope

It’s a field with swimming pool, the highlight was the Taco Bell at the edge of the parking lot.

Family fun!!

Great place to take the fam, big sites not to close to other campers. Lots of trees to hang a hammock and relax, great beach, good hiking. Going back for a weekend to check out the walk ins.

This is not an camp ground it a RV condo ass

Nice place though

Family Campground

Very friendly place to camp! Majority are seasonal sites but have a lot of room for open camping. There is water & electric hookups. You have the option for them to pump you 2 times a week for an extra $5. Family owned & operated. Animal friendly. Weekends usually have a “theme” so more people, during the week it’s open & quiet. There is a pool, store, rec center with games, & a cabin for rent. Great place to fish especially down a trail in the back part of the grounds.

Beautiful walk-in campsite, great trails

I stayed here for two nights in September. Site 271 was just enough of a walk to feel remote but not so far that I couldn't carry all my stuff. I did have to walk quite close to one of the other walk-in campsites when going to my car, however, so know that if there are other people in the sites nearby, you will see them. The sites close to the road are not private at all. Water is available at drinking fountains/spigots around the campsite. One I tried had barely a trickle but the other one had plenty of water pressure. The bathhouse was fairly clean and had hot showers, which was great after a 10-mile hike one day. I hammock camp, so getting a site with good trees for hammocking is important to me. I appreciated the preview photos on the state's reservation system. The site I picked had lots of great options for hammock hanging!

The trails at Governor Dodge are amazing. I left on foot from my campsite and hiked the Meadow Valley, Lost Canyon, Stephens Falls and Goldmine trails. Lost Canyon was BEAUTIFUL and had so many interesting geographical features. The trails behind the hike-in campsites also lead to some cliffs with some really amazing views.

So much to do here! Friendly people!

Overall great place! Would definitely go again. A bit pricey to camp but you definitely get your money’s worth.

The people who work there are great!

The people who work there are wonderful and even most of the seasonal campers we met were very nice people. We did have a few run ins with some not so good people however and the cops visit there often. The owners do their part to make things right however and immediately made the people causing trouble to leave. We were there for about a month and overall it was a good place to stay. Our tent site was right next to the playground, pool and bathrooms which made it convenient for our children, however kids run all over at night on the weekends until 2 am so the noise at that hour can be annoying. We also went through several storms while there and were offered parts for one of our canopies that blew away and the security guy who was always nice to us tied our other canopy to a tree when it also blew away to prevent it from going farther and being more damaged. Bathrooms I would give a 2 star rating alone.

Very nice friendly people

Bathrooms and outhouses were very clean! Not a lot to do but quiet and friendly atmosphere.

Best summer!!

We are seasonal sat crazyhorse campground , this is our first year and we have had the best summer ! ! The people are great from Jim the owner to Barb and Wayne. We have made some great new friends. There are always activities going on , bands , Dj’s, bags contest. The sugar river is so much fun kayaking and tubing which is all part of you stay at crazy horse. Tons of fun for kids and adults , I highly recommend .

Great hiking on lake

Open pad sites for tent camping under tree canopy, great hiking over looking swimming and boating lake.  Requires WI St Park pass to get in plus camping fees.   Has both vault and flush toilets w showers.  Close to town for other activities, near Wi Dells Water park 21 ,miles not a bad drive.

Part of the ice age trail system maintained hiking trails are great.

OK We stayed a while here

Not just that it was 25 minutes from our daughter in Madison this was a very nice KOA.

Typical KOA  but it did have better than normal WiFi or at least where we stayed it did.  Still not good enough to do a lot of streaming.

Had a great pool and playground. Had a place to have a group events.  Had a few cabins not many.

Had separate  tenting area that was really nice.

The folks that worked there were super and every Friday then Made homemade cookies.  NOTE to Self always check in on Friday.

The restrooms were very clean and I did use the shower a few times.  They were very nice.

It has a great dog park with an agility course which was fun to watch some dogs use.

It had restaurants and gas stations close. The Big thing it did have a cheese store not about 1/2 a block you can walk to.  Try all the great cheese and sausage it is super.  Will have to tell you I loved the Cranberry Cheese and the smoked Cheeses.  I also always got a jar of homemade pickles when we stopped.

The last time we stopped the had a corn and veggie stand right next door and great corn.

It is close enough to Madison if you need to visit there.

We have been there 3 times this year.  Really like it.

Christmas in Summer but I think I will skip the WInter.

This is a member resort but they do allow the public in.  We went in as Coast to Coast members.  This is an all season resort it does have a ski hill and accommodations for winter.  You can buy a condo resort, Lease a Time Share, buy a camping site ( with a Park Model on it,  Camp in a Motor Home, Trailer or Tent.  You can camp with full hook ups or as they call it the Wilderness Camping, they have some with 110 hook ups.

Facilities are very nice and clean, Swimming Pool, Club House with a lot of things to do. The sites are nice and big most are either pull through or large back in sites.  They also have an 18 holes golf course, since we don't golf really don't know how it is.

They have some WIFi but it is best at the club house the hotspots worked better.

If you would like to  visit Wisconsin Dells this is a great place as it is not very far from downtown and all the activities.  We spent 2 days exploring the Dells even in rain.  Had a great time.

If you are in the area I would check it out.

Blue Mounds such a diverse campground

Blue Mounds State Park is a great campground.  I love the area all the trees.  They have hike in campsites, bike in campsites and regular campsites.  They also have a group area.  If you are in a tent you will have great luck, I would advise in a trailer or Motor Home to inspect you site closely before you say yest to it, or you may be like us and change it 3 times.  Not very many level sites unless you can get up on the tent pad.  At one we thought was fairly level our tires were a good 3 inches off the ground in front.  We finally found one we could live with.  They have limited sites with Electricity so also if you need that look around.

I will have to say that the facilites are really nice and very clean in fact I have never seen a bathroom floor that clean on a weekend.

Speaking of weekends it does fill up most weekends so you will need to make reservations unless you want to use the hike in sites.

They have a recreation are also in the park that has a beautiful pool.  Picnic areas that are great and towers you can go up to see the Mounds.

WE have spent 2 times there this summer and will be back next summer.

If you are there there are a few areas to visit.

Mt Horeb the Troll Capital.  It is a small town about 20 miles if that.  Has a Troll theme and you can see the trolls all over the town.  Some good restaurants and one of the weekends we were there was the Art   Tour it is in the entire area and had some great art studios you could visit.

Cave of the Mounds is another place you have to visit.  This is a great cave during the week they give guided tours on the weekend it is self guided but have docents around explaining everything.  Well worth the money and trip.  This is about 5 miles from the Park.

I will say no internet and cell phone was very spotty. It is also one of the darkest areas if you are into the stars, just put something on for Mosquitos.

All in all a good solid 4, only down side was we were in a Motor Home and the not level sites was not the best.

Love!

Went here for a family vacation! Had an amazing time, close to mount horeb so was able to drive in for a day to look around. Site were spacious and most were pretty concealed.

One of my favorite places in Wisconsin!!

I come here at least once a yr when I get the time. I have spent 3 birthdays at Devils Lake and can't wait for many more.

Good for one night—mosquito heaven

This is an attractive, well-kept campground, but like a previous reviewer said, it is quite noisy, being near an airport and freeway. There seems to be only one bathroom at the end of the camp, which is where the campground host and all the RVs are. They have mowed paths through the campground as shortcuts, but for this California gal it was like running a gauntlet of mosquitos. I was bitten horribly. Bathroom was nice, two stalls, two showers and one sink.

Great Campground With Everything You Need!

Devil's Lake is a must see.  It is beautiful!  The water and beach are lovely, the hiking and sights are gorgeous.  The campsites are not the most private, but we've never had issues with bad neighbors or anything of the sort, and we have been going here for the past 30 years.

Pride of Ownership

Wonderful campground within 10 minutes of  major freeway access. New owners Allison and Chris are very friendly, helpful and exhibit the pride of Ownership in every aspect of the campground. Cleanest restroom/showers I can ever recall at a campground. Very family and pet friendly with activities, lake and bar. Really enjoyed our overnight stay on a cross-country trip - highly recommend!

Quiet camping near beautiful scenery

The campsites were relatively small but had nice separation and vegetation between them so you didn’t feel on top of each other. It was a quiet campground and felt peaceful at night. The trails around the campground are very pretty although not extensive. It’s a great place to stay while enjoying the region.

Sites are a mixed bag

We happened to have a very private site completely surrounded by trees but a lot of the sites are small not well covered and very close to neighbors. However, regardless of where you are the campground can get really loud and busy and no one seems to care. There was a pack of kids screaming by our site on electric scooters all night, with people shouting and playing music. Even though the site and park were really nice. This seems more like a place to come with family and friends and have a big party.

One of our favorites

We spend quite a bit of time here. We hunt here and camp here year round. Tons of forest with cross country, equestrian, and hiking trails. One of the best lakes in Wisconsin for fishing along with a nice beach, and pet area. There is a free gun range. Hunt anything from pheasent to deer. There is also a nice bar and grill just down the street. Along with dairy bar as part of the park. Showers and bathrooms are always clean.

Not my favorite

We went here for a friend's birthday. It felt like we were packed in like sardines. Barely enough space to use the fire pit. Not much for shade and the only separating you from your neighbors are driveways/roads. The best parts was the full hookups, the pool, and the live music.

I do not think we will return to this campground.

Not Bad

The park is pretty nice. The pedestrian beach is to rocky for my liking, but the dog beach is nice and sandy yet small. There is also a bit of a hike to get there. So if you take a cooler you may want a wagon.

The sites we were in were a little narrow to back in a 30ft camper. The pictures of the site did not show this. The staff was friendly and the restrooms were clean.

Fort Atkinson Yogi Bear

We had a great time camping over the summer! Plenty for the kids and adults.

Fantastic place

Noahs ark is having a teacher appreciation addmisson so we decided to take a night off and go camping before spending the day at the water park. It was nice because I had a hard transition summer going from leading camping trips to working a traditional 8-4 job.

I love going to Red Oaks campground in Baraboo. $10 a night/person when tent camping, free showers, pool, close to gas station and places to eat and explore. Owners are very welcoming and friendly. Pet friendly, kid friendly with playground. Sand volleyball court.

It is your typical campground so of course theres loud neighbors sometimes ( news flash no one will ever like what everyone else is doing…… be the bigger person and keep doing what you know is right and make the best out of situations that arent "perfect ") owners are willing to work out bumps ( had loud drunk neighbors from midnight till 4am last year, owners took care of them.). We leave and explore all day and our stuff is fine. Theres back wooded sites or open sites. It feels more like rustic camping mixed with glamping items.

Highly recommend, but I know it's not going to be for everyone. I was skeptical when I first stayed but it's my go to place to recommend by the dells and my go to place when we plan to come down.

Awesome for the whole family

The best we’ve been to that is fun for the whole family

Awesome Family Campground

This is a great family campground. We just returned from a family reunion of 20 people camping together and they were great to work with. We were able to have 3 pop ups and 2 tents on 3 sites. We also rented a cabin for the great grandparents. All sites and cabin were clean. Bathrooms were also clean. Women's bathroom had only 1 working soap dispenser, but that caused minimal issues. Pool was clean and surrounding area was clean. Many activities for the family, bounce pad, volleyball, basketball, tennis, horse shoes, mini golf. We were disappointed that for$3 per person for mini golf that the course was so dirty. We did what we could to remove rocks, sticks, pine needles, etc from the holes in order to have a better family tournament. There was a good mixture of permanent and non permanent sites. Nicely wooded. We had a quiet week and on the weekend, the traffic picked up, but it was still quiet at night. My one complaint would be that since I was trying to work while camping this past week, we did not have any internet access like their website mentions. However, we did have a bad storm our first night and I believe the building was hit by lightening. Frontier was on site at least two days, but the internet did not improve. The only other odd thing was the wagon ride on Friday night. It started off great and then we went into the woods. They had all sorts of odd decorations randomly nailed to trees which distracted from the wagon ride and made us adults ready to get off of the wagon.

This campground is only 10 to 15 minutes from everything that you would want to do in the WI Dells. We did do some traditional Wisconsin Dells things while camping. One of which was riding the Original Wisconsin Dells Duck Boat Tour. While the jokes are super cheesy, the scenery is beautiful and the driver let our son drive the duck boat in Lake Delton. I would recommend this tour. I do not know how it compares to the Army Duck tour. We also ate lunch at MACs, which is an all Macaroni and Cheese restaurant. The Jalapeno Mac was so spicy it made our nephew cry and even my husband said it was spicy. Everything we ate here was great, including the Jalapeno Mac. We would highly recommend.

Large wooded sites- near loud road

The campground is well kept with several bathrooms and showers. We have a 30ft travel trailer, and it was easy to maneuver around the campground. We did have to wait in line to fill the water tank, but the water pressure was good and it didn’t take too long. We stayed at site 327e, which was very easy to back in to and was mostly level. Easy access to electrical and plenty of space for slide outs. A nice big fire pit with large flat grate for cooking, one of the best set ups I’ve seen. Would be perfect, but there’s a loud highway WI-67 traffic about 20 ft from the campsite. Tons of loud motorcycles and trucks with constant traffic. If you want solitude I would avoid sites 305e-328e, all of the odd number sites back up to the road. Evens, except for 328e, are inside and are better. Video shows traffic and noise. I would come back, but pick a site inside the campground and away from highway.