Arches National Park, UTAH
Most Recent Arches National Park Camping Reviews
Ranger Review: Morsel XL spork in Bryce Canyon Utah

Campground Review

Ruby’s Inn RV Park and Campground Definitely the closest campground outside of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah with all the amenities (absolutely positively everything) and even a buffet and restaurant within walking distance. We visited Bryce Canyon in the off season and it was still super crowded but worth the views and experience! I would highly recommend making reservations well in advance and planning your trip accordingly in the summer. You can catch the bus right outside the campground that takes you straight into The National Park so you don’t have to stress about parking (big hassle trust me). We really enjoyed this campground and would definitely stay here again!

Product Review

As a Ranger for the https://thedyrt.com/, occasionally I have the great opportunity to test and review products. At this Campground we had the pleasure of being introduced to https://morselspork.com/ and Wow.. was my first reaction! This XL Morsel is going to be a game changer.. Let’s get down and Dirty and talk sporks!

It’s length alone is the first noticeable upgrade in comparison to generic double sided utensils as seen in my pictures. Standing tall at 10.5 inches the XL Morsel will give you the ability to scrape, scour and reach deep into a dehydrated meal pouch without getting your hands a sticky mess

The second thing I personally noticed out of the box was its giant rubber sided spoon, perfect for scooping and teething according to our little. The spork itself seems extremely durable and also able to withstand boiling water temperatures. Not to mention dishwasher safe. The serrated cutting edge is also a worthy mention! It sliced and Avocado great!

Overall We loved it and we would love to tell the world this this spork has everything the others don't but that’s obvious from the picture comparison. I wish I had an action shot of lunch but I know there will be more chances because  I’ll never leave for an adventure without the https://morselspork.com/ XL again! Even ordered the mini for our “minis” to test on the next stop!

Beautiful scenery!

The tent campground is fairly basic, but they have a picnic table and fire ring, nice restrooms and a beautiful view of Lake Powell. There are also showers and laundry machines at the registration building. I would definitely stay there again!

Very nice campground

We found this place by accident and were very pleased. Small campground that is first come -first serve sites. Not suitable for trailers or large RV due to the road going in. Fire pits, tables, and ver clean bathrooms. Located next to the sand stone bluffs and a jumping off point for trail hikers. Will definitely look this place up on our next trip. Be sure to bring your own water.

Amazing campground!

I camped at Kodachrome for two nights back in October 2018.

I got to the campground at around 8:30pm and it was honestly pretty late and the park was super dark. I spent a little too much time exploring Bryce Canyon NP but good thing Kodachrome was only a 30-min drive from the park.

Since I was traveling by myself, it really gave me the peace of mind knowing that there was still a ranger on site to check me into my campsite.

The campground is located in the heart of some of the most beautiful rock formations. I’m not super into stargazing but I can imagine stargazer fans would definitely enjoy the dark skies here. There’s not too much shade for the campsite but they are far away enough from the others so you get to enjoy a good level of privacy.

I didn’t use the showers but they looked very nice and modern. On the way to the campground, I also noticed a laundromat on site. There’s no cell service here but I also use AT&T and that might be why.

Firewood is sold on site and there’s also water easily accessible.

I would definitely come back to the campground! 👌🏼

Quaint

We stayed here for one night on our way from Escalante through BCNP and back to SLC. We had a spot next to the water. It was calm and quiet. The bathrooms were immaculate and we loved the little mile hike in the campground. Despite the crazy amount of red ants, we loved the spot and would definitely come back!

Horrible Park Service

The horrible park service at Arches and recreation.org have problems. Reservations that cancel and show available as "Walk-In" are not. The rangers sell those cancelled reservations to campers who are already staying at the campground and would like extra days. They discouraged us from trying to be there to get any spots opening the next morning and said they were probably all sold, any of the sites that said first come first serve, on recreation.org. Such a disorganized mess. They dont even keep a tally or list as to what they have sold or to which camper. Claim because of no cell service. But they have radios. And a list of cancelled reservations to sell that morning. Such a BS way of running a camp. Reservations only. Which sell out 6 months in advance and go on sale on a certain day. What a mess Arches NP was. Lines to the highway every day, 30+ min to get into the park, nope. Not my style.

Make sure you bring a boat!!

This is a great place to camp close to the lake. Lots of sandy beaches close and lots of fun in Powell. It can get hot so having a place to get out of the sun is key.

This place is heaven in the desert.

This is one of my favorite places to be in the summer. Red rocks and in the mist is a green lush valley. I love going and seeing the big deer in the campground and park. Lots of great hikes close and lots of things to do.

Friendly and beautiful

We really enjoyed this campground after a few days travel. Well maintained and very helpful staff. The only downfall I would say was price. We had a gorgeous view though.

Awesome place to camp

I love this place. The lake is easy to fish with lots of hungry trout. The camp site is clean and the mountain air is amazing.

Quiet location in Escalante

This is an older, smaller RV Park that has several cabins and a few tent sites. The RV sites are typically pull through and both 30 AMP and 50 AMP are available. Nothing hyper here, but a well maintained park with nice restrooms and showers and a laundry. Located next door to a recommended restaurant and within a half mile of Escalante Outfitters - Espresso, Pizza, Salads and books and gear for your Utah Canyons adventures. Also a half mile to the Official Visitor Center: BLM, NPS and USFS - to answer all your wandering questions.

Rogue camping off the main road

Very is available off the side of this road. No amenities are available. Amazing side sites are available all along hole in the Rock road. Slot canyons and such. Road is wash boarded out so make sure you have the appropriate vehicle to drive into this terrain.

Perfect campground

This spot is incredible. It backs up to some beautiful rocks and the sunrise was to die for. The spots are spread out and nestled between rocks and brush. Quiet, but small campground.

All Fun and Games until..

The dispersed layout is awesome, but has almost zero cover for any tent campers. Especially if youd like to camp next to the lake, which is the basic appeal of being there. Also beware of sand. Saw a car up past the door in a dune, stuck.

The views are great, the water is extremely nice, and the vault toilets are good and plenty in number.

The weather can be unpredictable. Things were going great until 40+ mph winds came through in a snap and lasted all night. We were blasted by sand and wind, then came rain for hours, and temps dropping fast and into low 40's. Piles of sand in the tent, sleeping bags, and every orafice of our bodies. It was brutal. Sunshade poles were bent into multiple U shapes and ruined. Tent held strong, but we did not. Saw clouds building on horizon the same as it had the day prior and we decided to make our escape quickly. The weather that day had a 20% chance of precipitation and no mention of high winds. So again, beware.

If perfect weather, things could have be totally different- But really when is that ever the case?

Little Orchard Oasis

Cutest Campground award! Surrounded by orchards and grassy fields, this $20 a night campground was a lovely little stop! Super clean bathrooms and wonderful sites both tent and RV (loop pictures shown) We saw deer and tons of little critters. There were horses near by which my daughter went nuts to visit! If your driving between Utah parks this is definitely a refreshing stop to make! Unfortunately we didn’t hike in the area but there was a nature center and a little store that seemed to serve some kind of food. We did see signs for hiking trails on the way out of the Park. Overall super wonderful quiet little camp! Great experience!

Right on the Water

We spent the day touring Antelope Canyon nearby and had a long drive ahead the next day. We had no plans to stay anywhere, so we pulled down to Lone Rock Beach campground.

There are lots of dispersed camp spots in the dunes and bushes along the road down to the water. There is also a typical state park type bathroom. You can drive along the beach in the hard pack and camp wherever you want though. We drove the van right up to the water. There were a couple strange toilets, think double metal portable units with a large base and stairs. If you were disabled, it would be wise to camp closer to the the bathroom building. These were a steep couple steps up, and no light. Bring your own.

It was raining when we arrived. The next morning dawned beautiful and warm so we were able to appreciate the splendor of the canyon. I hear summer and weekends can be a crazy paty zone, but here in April, it was quiet and nice.

Bryce Canyon camping

We loved Bryce! This campground was huge! With so much close by this campground was hard to pass up, we visited the queens garden trail which was spectacular but super super crowded. The visitor center was also really nice, be sure to pick up your Junior ranger book on your way into the park if you have kiddos. The book gives them a chance to learn and earn a nifty Junior ranger badge by completing age appropriate tasks along their journey. There was a Market inside of Zion that had everything for hiking, hydration and camping galore. I would highly recommend making your reservations 2 weeks ahead of time the campgrounds fill up fast during the peak season. Overall great experience!

TeePee Experience

I thought it would be funny to camp in a teepee one night while passing through Bryce Canyon National Park…

The upside: It was humorous to the three teens/preteens with me; it was a unique experience they won't forget. The warm shower was divine.

The downside: We froze our butts off! There were so many bugs (and no way to close the seams of the teepee). It was in a high-traffic area. People were constantly coming to our teepee and looking in…

It was fun, but next time we'll return to our style of camping: dispersed, remote, quiet.

Awesome primitive camping

The campground is right on lake powell and there are no reservations so be sure to get there early for a good spot. Camping is in the sand, but it is pretty hard, if you are planning on sleeping on the ground. The bathrooms are actually pretty nice and well maintained for a primitive site

Pretty Good!

This campground was nice. Good spot, pretty views! Overall, enjoyable. Would return! Bryce Canyon is COLD this time of year, so the ground was covered with snow, but we expected this and packed accordingly.

Great location and amenities, just not our favorite type of camping!

We chose this campground because of its proximity to Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon. We are normally state or national park campers (we have a van not RV) so our three star review is based on our preferences. If you are used to an RV Park, this may be better suited for you.

Pros: Friendly staff and check-in was smooth Generous sized spaces with picnic table (although it was raining and we didn’t use it) Clean bathrooms and showers with hot water Dishwashing sink with hot water Fitness room 10% discount for AARP and others Proximity to Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon

Cons: Very close to road - lots of noise No privacy

Overall, it worked for a one night stay for us but we decided to move on closer to our next destination.

Beautiful backpacking trip

Did an awesome 3 day hike of the hurricane wash. Hiked in, set up camp, explored further, slept first night. Left our tents and gear and did a day pack hike totalling 16 miles down and back up the canyon. Third day was back out. It was amazing…other than the extreme leave no trace rules (ALL waste carried out).

Beautiful campground, flawed administrative system!

This review covers two topics: the campground itself (4 stars) and the reservation/check-in process (1 star - more on that later). The campground itself is quite a drive from the entrance but is very beautiful. Well-maintained but sires vary greatly. Some are narrow pull-throughs; some have beautiful views and generous back-in drives. Good privacy between most sites (but not between 2 and 3). Cell service is spotty (Verizon); sometimes you get two bars and sometimes no service. Bathrooms were generally clean but no garbage can, hooks or soap (hand sanitizer dispensers) and they were serviced regularly during our stay. Solar lights on the path to the amphitheater/bathrooms were helpful. Two hiking trailheads can be accessed directly from the campground. No water spigots but each bathroom had a dishwashing sink which was much appreciated. Now for the flawed administrative system! We had reservations made six months in advance for three nights. We arrived a little after 4pm to find both the admission station and visitor center closed. No problem as we proceeded directly to the campground. There was a sign saying it was full and each site had a reserved placard but with no identifying information. Each night we were there, multiple sites remained empty. There was no camp host or ranger on-site during our entire stay. The only employees we saw were maintenance. Even the visitor center was unaware there was no camp host. Firewood locked up and not able to purchase. Fortunately, everyone was well behaved but it could have been quite a different situation if there had been a problem. Arches is a beautiful park and we are glad we had a good stay but hopefully their system will be overhauled soon!

Spacious campsites, clean bathrooms, friendly staff

The campsites are very spacious and have trees between sites to feel more secluded from your neighbors.

The bathrooms are extremely clean and updated. Prolly the nicest shower I have ever been in! They keep it clean daily too.

Firewood for purchase 24/7.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly and came and checked on campers and helped with anything they could.

The campground is close to several trails in the park and is also close to horseback riding trails if you’re interested in that!

They also have a washroom with washers and dryers that are only used by paying campers.

Being at a high elevation, it was great at night to have a cool breeze after a long hot day in the desert.

The campground is away from public and really gives you a great camping feeling.

Loved this place!!

My Favorite Park, Get Close to The Rim

Bryce Canyon is my favorite place in the world. There are no words the do it justice. If you have not seen those rock hoodoo's in person that seem to emit their own glow, you just have to do it!

A great place to camp while you are there is the North Campground. Our van fit in one of the tent loops (<20ft long) which happens to be right along the Rim Trail with peek-a-boo views of the hoodoos. From our site on Loop C we could hop on the Rim Trail, stop at the General Store for a snack, keep going to Sunrise Point, and hike the Navajo Loop/Queen's Garden Trail. So nice to be able to park the van and forget it. We were able to catch sunset and sunrise just by walking out of our site and over to the edge.

Everything was first come, first serve. We got to Bryce Canyon early in the morning and started driving loops looking for paper slips on posts. If the post was empty, the site was open. Tent site was $20. Each site had a picnic table and fire pit, wood available for purchase at the General Store. Water spigots were centrally located and bathrooms were standard flush toilet, running water, tiny sink. Hardly any privacy between sites, at least in loop C, but I find that's the norm in National Parks.

Great stopover!

Lake Powell is beautiful. We stopped here for one night on our way north. We easily could have stayed longer. Nice store, fishing, swimming.

Off the main road gem

Getting to this campground was a rough washboard road, definitely not for the faint of bladder. haha

You will need a 4x4 car or one with high clearance, in rain or snow I wouldn't risk it with a simple coupe.

Once you get to the campground it is a lovely view of mountains and canyons all around you. It is almost hard to believe that there are slot canyons at every turn. This is also the way to get into Spooky Gulch and Peekaboo canyon so there are a lot of day hikers that come out to do the slot canyons.

The sites are big enough for tents but there are no bathrooms and minimal shade so going in the Spring or Fall would be best.

Beautiful spot

We went in March. They don’t have hookups but it is a beautiful spot to stay in the park.

Big, open lakefront space with nothing but the basics

This campground is part of Glen Canyon National rec area. It costs $14 (even in the off-season, apparently). Not sure it's worth that given that in the winter all but a few of the vault toilets are closed, but it's a nice, open space with a pleasant view of the lake and "Lone Rock". You can build a campfire right on the beach, and while we were here (early March) it was very uncrowded--just a few other campers spread out in the vast, open space. We have a 2wd and it did fine on the sand, just don't go careening off the edge of the drop-off into deeper sand unless you are confident your vehicle can handle it. Only about 20 minutes from Page, so convenient if you're looking to stay in the area for a day or so.

yearly campground

When we start planning our trip every summer we plan it around Red Canyon Campground. Unfortunately last year they had an unusual amount of rain and they had a slide in the upper campground trapping some campers in rock. After digging them out, they closed the upper campground and said they would fix it over the winter.