Appleton, WISCONSIN

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Appleton Camping Reviews
Fun, tubing, social

Very fun but not secluded, very small sites, especially along the river.  The river is fantastic for tubing and kayaking with your family.  This is a fun social campground, if your looking for peaceful, quiet and away maybe not the place you want.

One of our Favorites

We enjoy camping at S’more Fun and kayaking on the lake. The owners are very personable. There are no golf carts to watch out for. The owners have one to deliver wood to your campsite but other than that, there are no others. We try to camp there at least once a year.

Dependable and friendly

When you're traveling, it can be exciting not knowing what to expect around the next corner, but in most places, there's a McDonald's, a Walmart or a KOA, and ya know everything is going to be ok.

Good even under duress

Lovely campground right on the shores of Lake Michigan. I accidentally booked a primitive site online, but as it turned out that didn't matter as a storm had ravaged the area the day before and there was no electricity anyway. All of the employees were exceptionally nice, even with the less-than-optimum circumstances. I can't speak to the amenities since the store was closed and we were only using the pit toilets (which were cleaned daily) but between walking along the lake, and playing cards at our campsite (which we had all to ourselves!) we had a very enjoyable time.

So cool!!

Loved it, wooded spaces out sites, only a 5 minute walk and your on a huge stretch of beach on Lake Michigan. Local fish fry was fantastic!!

Ranger Review: Red Ledge Free Rein Raincoat at Long Lake, WI

Campground Review

I've been going to Long Lake for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately we haven't camped here in a couple years, but it was really nice to be back.

We visited in September this year, so the campground was much more empty that it is in the summer. It was also cool, so we didn't make it to the beach this year.

One big change was that a lot of the larger trees were knocked down in a storm earlier this year, so many of the campsites have less shade than in the past. The one we were on this time we've camped on before, but the spot we usually pitch our tent was where they put the downed trees, so the site was smaller and sunnier.

I still really love this campground. It has a good amount of non-electric sites, which we prefer. The access to many hiking options in the Kettle Moraine state forest is great, and when it is hot out the lake is nice for swimming.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time, this time I got to test the Red Ledge Free Rein rain jacket.

I've gone through many cheap ponchos, but haven't had a real raincoat since I was a kid. The one I had as a kid was rubbery, stiff, and not breathable. The Red Ledge jacket is nothing like this. It is light, comfortable, and breathes well. It even has zippered arm pits, in case you need to air them out 😊

I've only used it a couple times in the rain, but I can say it worked. If you are spending serious time in the rain I'd suggest rain pants, since this goes only a little past your waist, and your pants are likely to get wet. Red Ledge does have a "Free Rein" pant as well, but I haven't tried them.

I'm not sure whether I would pay for a coat like this, but I don't think it is overpriced. It is a well-made coat with high quality materials. Overall, I have nothing bad to say about this rain coat. It is well made, works well, and looks good too.

Nice and quite and friendly and clean

It would be nice if they had sewer at some weekend sites

Great park

Great spot to stay on the way home from Door County. Big secluded sites, loved hearing the waves at night from across the road. Best fish fry right down the road.

fun for groups

This was a fun place to go with a group of people. Even though there was a huge rainstorm before we got there and had standing water in our site, it drained quickly. They had a DJ there which was fun to listen to in the common area while with others.

The good: Lots for kids to do in their kid-friendly pool, arcade, park, and bounce house area that our group of kids loved. They offer golf carts to rent which is very nice (but a bit pricey)

The bad: I docked a star because It was loud which isn't the campgrounds fault until they don't do anything about it, which there wasn't. We had a great time with our group but were able to have fun while still being relatively quiet. There were 2 different groups around us that were loud into the early hours of the night.

Overall we had a great time with our group and as a whole really liked it. We would go back again. We could have just had bad luck on the weekend we went but would have liked to see some sort of authority there to keep a few groups contained a bit. Would go somewhere else if wanted a "Secluded" stay.

Lots to do

Yes there are lots of things to do to keep the kids busy and the sites are great, but… it is expensive!!