The best camping in
Florida

1947 Reviews 1174 Campgrounds
Camping Florida

Despite being home to some of the most popular beaches in America, Florida has more freshwater springs than anywhere else in the world. While tourists flood the coastlines, you can head inland to one of Central Florida’s dozen spring systems to find a beautiful, serene spot that is perfect for camping in Florida.

One of the largest, clearest spots is Ginnie Springs, located 35 miles northwest of Gainesville. The year-round 72-degree water is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, scuba, and cave diving. The seven-spring system is a magnet for divers who love the underwater cave system, while the gentle current of the Santa Fe River attracts day tubers and kayakers. Pack a snorkel when you go camping in Florida to be rewarded with glimpses of bass, mullet, catfish, turtles, and other natural critters.

Plus, with over one hundred campsites, visitors to Ginnie Springs can also enjoy accessible camping spots complete with electric hookups. If you’re looking for a truly authentic Florida experience, wilderness sites are also scattered throughout Ginnie Springs’ 200 acres, many of which are right on the riverfront or a spring. You will truly be one with nature as you wake up next to your own crystal-clear spring, waiting for you to dive in.

Another nearby spring system perfect for camping is Rainbow Springs State Park, located 60 miles straight south of Ginnie Springs. Rainbow Springs is the fourth largest freshwater spring in Florida and feeds into the Rainbow River, giving the spring a gentle current that is great for tubing or canoeing.The Rainbow River campground has 60 sites ready for both RVers and tent campers, complete with electrical service.

There is no better way to get in touch with nature or experience camping in Florida than with the natural water systems of the state. These refreshing sites are a unique Floridian attraction that will make your next camping experience stand out above the rest. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find more unique spots for all your camping in Florida needs.

Recent Reviews in Florida
Nice Off beat place to play OR Stay

The place is a nice hole in the wall on the side of the road, just past the north entrance of the Springs. They offer canoes, kayaks, rafts and tubes for rent and shuttle you to and from to take all of the work out of it. We paid a reasonable $85 for six of us in two canoes. The service was great, with two different people taking us and picking us back up. The shuttle was an old school van, similar to the Home Alone airport shuttle.

The canoes were good, but one did take in a little bit of water. Not enough to cause concern.

The sites are pretty primitive without hookups and they do offer some with electric/water closer to the front. The small cabins are basic, but do offer heat or AC, so are a step up from real camping. The only concern I would have would be toilet use if the park was busy. I would personally plan a visit back during the off season.

Old school, spacious and down to earth campground

I am excited to have added my first campground to the Dyrt Community, and look forward to many more.

I will admit that booking this campground gave me anxiety. It was several hours from home, and a reservation guaranteed a site, not a specific site. Having a family of five and two in laws in tow, it is usually more reassuring to pick out your site. I had found this site simply from Kym (manager) responding to a post in a local Facebook camping group. I thought she seemed nice, and the campground seemed rustic and welcoming. I decided to book us in for two nights over the Veteran's weekend (Sunday/Monday).

The booking process was very simple and old school. I emailed what we wanted, and they replied that they had availability and sent a link for the $20 secure site fee (we had electric/water, so this is required). It can be paid via Venmo or Paypal. They are old school and work via cash, so do not plan on using a card. Hit the ATM before you get close. We arrived a little later than we wanted (around 6:30). It was pretty dark. We followed the sign in the office to the host camp, right behind the rec hall. It was simple. The check in process took all of five minutes and we were sent to our site, which was 17 and right next to the rec hall and bonfire pit. We also ordered up two piles of firewood to start. They charge $5 (cash) and deliver right to your site.

We couldn't see the site well since it was dark, but it was clearly huge. We had no issue setting up our 12 man and 4 man tents with plenty of space to spare. When we woke up in the morning, we realized that we could have easily slept 50 people or more at our site. The site was private (cars provide a nice wall from the single opening) and wooded. They provided two tables (not crappy ones) and a big fire ring. The site had several trees that were good for hammocks or clothes lines. The water and electric were in a pretty logical spot and could easily reach anywhere in the site with a long enough hose or cord.

The campground itself is really no frills. They have a rec hall with OLD arcade games (this is a good thing), pool, foosball and air hockey. They have a jukebox with some country and rock choices to get your bones moving. The bathrooms are single person, one for each sex. They are kept immaculate. I ran into the grounds woman, and noted to her that I had never seen a place kept so clean. She told me that she is a retired nurse, so it makes sense. They also have two single showers. This is camping, not the Ritz. It is exactly what is needed.

We did not run into any wildlife issues. We did have a lot of bees, but they were not too bad. Ants were abundant, but again, this is Florida. The hosts were very nice and humble, and provided local recommendations for tubing and canoeing. The roads are well maintained and the place shows an overall sense of love. They are located just a minute down the road from the North entrance of the State Park.  We look forward to coming back here in the future.

Pure bliss

We had our baby moon here this past weekend (this is the second time I’ve camped at Cypress Glen and neither time was I disappointed). Campsite 49 has plenty of shade and backs up to a mini swamp which is beautiful for pictures. We had electric and eater on site and it’s pup friendly of course. Hot showers and clean bathrooms. A few feet from our site is a boardwalk which leads to 2 hikes one more inland and the other that follows around silver lake. Each one was beautiful. We will absolutely be back

great location

This is a campground inside a resort city, space is limited but it has beach access and a great location. Store is very well stocked and all the employees were very friendly and courteous. bathhouse is showing age but was clean and well kept. Was there for an event weekend and despite every spot being full we never felt crowded, stayed in tent site #99, all sites are very shady as they all have trees between them. We had lots of rain and the tent site was well drained. Only downside is the sites have lots of roots in them, be prepared if you are not using an air mattress.

Here for the winter months

This is a park with permanent sites, transient and seasonal people, with a the locals prominently making the social life active and fun. I have met families, retirees, and some are in RVs, some bought a place. It s declared full, yet lots of spaces have yet to be filled, so it is nice to be some of the first ones here for the season. My receipt declared this as an Encore resort.

Diamond in the ruff.

Quite possibly one of the best sites in central Florida. Tons of hiking. Beautiful lakes, boardwalks, and most of all it has a beach.

The prettiest in Florida

Absolutely beautiful. Large sites.

It is pricey, but you are paying for the view.

Very nice affordable campground

Very close to the University of Florida. Nice campground recently renovated.

Great music festivals

We go for the blues and woodstock festival. They also have other festivals throughout the year. Money made from festivals helps support the campground so they can offer free camping to youth groups!! It is a beautiful location.

We love this place

This is a quiet campground that has 4 lakes with trails for hiking, 4 wheelers, boaters, & fishing. Beautiful!!

Very Nice Campground

We live close so when we want  quick getaway this is where we go. The only reason I can't give 5 stars is they don't do reservations.(first come first served).

Beautiful!

If you want peace and quiet with one of the cleanest campgrounds around this is a must go to spot. Lots to look at on the river as all the boats go by through the lock. Fishing is good. Sites are concrete and level. Another amazing Corp of Engineers federal park! We can’t wait to come back.

A beautiful place to visit

We are new to pulling an RV and this was one of our first to visit. This place is awesome. Good trails, excellent scenery an observation tower ….. The staff was very helpful and courteous. We even had a free concert at the out door theater. Only down side is no sewer connection which is not an issue for a short visit. We will visit again!

Beautiful park

Beautiful spacious camp sites with lots of privacy. We'll look forward to returning.

Best in Winter

It’s a really great place to go fishing and maybe swimming during anytime of the year. But as far as camping goes, I’d recommend only during the cool months of the year. Otherwise you’ll be bakin’ in a hotbox all day (unless you have A/C). Other than that I loved staying here the couple times I did with my family.

Fantastic.

I like all of the Withlacoochie State Forest area, but I really loved staying at Mutual Mine. It has a beautiful couple of lakes, crystal clear water. I regretted not bring a pole to fish! I definitely need to get back over there for another night or two

My first love.

I’m pretty sure this was the first campground I ever went to as a kid, and then every spring break following. Only recently stopped going with my family. As far as Florida camping goes though, this is probably my favorite.

Awesome campground at the beach!

This is a great location right off A1A and on the beach.  There are amazing sunsets to be enjoyed as well as great trails in the park.  The beach is gorgeous too.  If you don't feel like biking or walking - they even have a tram!  There aren't fire rings in the sites here, but that's not a huge problem.  The facilities are nice!  This is a really popular park so book well in advance or hope for a cancellation (we luckily got a cancellation!!).  If you are in the area, this is DEFINITELY worth a visit!!

Trails!

Nice campground. Not very shady at all. If you love to use awesome bike trails, this is the place! Extremely noisy with trains running through all night, of course, blowing their whistles!

Peaceful

Nice campground. Clean and well maintained. Very shady site, but tons of mosquitoes. We went in late October. Nice preserve to walk or bike to. Observation tower. Saw wild horses in the prairie. Visitor’s Center very helpful with information.

Awesome

Excellent campground. Very clean. Unfortunately, due to hurricane Michael last year, 80% of their trees were destroyed. Camp host, Art, was wonderful! Loved the park, near the water. Very peaceful.

Lots to do!

Campsites were nice. Lots to do. Rapids to look at. Plenty of hiking and biking. Rental canoe staff were amazing. Tons of wildlife.

Primitive island camping

Launch at river breeze park, book through Canavaral National Seashore. 20 bucks a night your own island. Can book for up to 15 people but I don't know where you would put enough tents. Got a 6 man and a 2 man set up and could get a 4 man as well but who actually puts that many people in a tent, lol.

Love it

Close to central florida attractions, however out in bfe. Love this park, hidden gem. Hiking, fishing, lake beach…..nice place to relax

Tourist park

Clean and neat. No dirt to be found. Across hwy from beach. Nice, tight TV resort. Not my cup of tea.

Love the wildlife

State park off the beaten path. Rv sites can be tight, lots of tent sites. Springs area is small but cave divers are always there. Make sure you check for ticks.

For the floater

Nice, big sites, many full hookup, stays booked year round and can be difficult to reserve. Not for you if you are looking for peace and quiet

SHORTENED STAY

My wife and I needed to be in the Orlando area but didn’t want to be near the Mouse House. We booked Clearbrook Golf and RV Resort using Passport America. On check in we were given a back in site (fine) only to find the the hook up we’re on the WRONG side ! We pulled in front first so hook up could be achieved. Minor problem but folks at check in should have known ! Campground is getting old and worn looking. The golf course looks nice and adds to making park look better !

Serenity On the Key

This is a quaint little campground located on Siesta Key. Direct access to the ocean where lots of shells can be found. The campground doesn’t allow fires and requires quiet time after 11:00 PM. Local trolley takes you to bars and restaurants. Overall an awesome experience.