THE BEST CAMPING IN
Florida

Despite being home to some of the most popular beaches in America, Florida has more freshwater springs than anywhere else in the world. While tourists flood the coastlines, you can head inland to one of Central Florida’s dozen spring systems to find a beautiful, serene spot that is perfect for camping in Florida.

One of the largest, clearest spots is Ginnie Springs, located 35 miles northwest of Gainesville. The year-round 72-degree water is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, scuba, and cave diving. The seven-spring system is a magnet for divers who love the underwater cave system, while the gentle current of the Santa Fe River attracts day tubers and kayakers. Pack a snorkel when you go camping in Florida to be rewarded with glimpses of bass, mullet, catfish, turtles, and other natural critters.

Plus, with over one hundred campsites, visitors to Ginnie Springs can also enjoy accessible camping spots complete with electric hookups. If you’re looking for a truly authentic Florida experience, wilderness sites are also scattered throughout Ginnie Springs’ 200 acres, many of which are right on the riverfront or a spring. You will truly be one with nature as you wake up next to your own crystal-clear spring, waiting for you to dive in.

Another nearby spring system perfect for camping is Rainbow Springs State Park, located 60 miles straight south of Ginnie Springs. Rainbow Springs is the fourth largest freshwater spring in Florida and feeds into the Rainbow River, giving the spring a gentle current that is great for tubing or canoeing.The Rainbow River campground has 60 sites ready for both RVers and tent campers, complete with electrical service.

There is no better way to get in touch with nature or experience camping in Florida than with the natural water systems of the state. These refreshing sites are a unique Floridian attraction that will make your next camping experience stand out above the rest. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find more unique spots for all your camping in Florida needs.

Recent Reviews in Florida
Awesome campground!

Really nice place to go locally!!

Love it

This is a fantastic find for us. So close to Perdido key beach but very nice quiet and fairly private feeling sites. Our site #7 had a large clean concrete pad and fun sandy area in back with place to stretch a clothesline or hammock. Bathrooms were clean. Price was very reasonable at $21 per night.

Beautiful, fishing, wildlife, trails

Dduring summer you'll need bug spray

Decent place

Its much better than the big camp ground across the lake. But it depends on what time you come, some days its nice and secluded and some days its packed

Great for overlanders.

Nice and secluded, great for overlanders. Only downfall is the mosquitos

Good location and well kept!

We stayed here on our way to Key West and we were pleasantly surprised by how well kept the campground was. The bathrooms were closed but it didnt say why. The sites are electric which is nice in the heat. From what the ranger said this park is the only one open this time of year.

Beautiful & Quiet

We stayed for 4 nights. There were people in & out only staying a night or two. It is very quiet, the beach is nice (there are 2 gators that live on the other side of the lake), the bathrooms are clean, the shower was decent & the host was great! The sites are all HUGE (the outer ring is better than the inner), they are all close to the bathroom & more than enough privacy. You MUST reserve your site either online or by calling & the prices listed on the board are NOT correct. It is now $20 a night for non electric/water site and $30 for water/electric

Beach camping without the sand!

We went right after a controlled burn so the opposite side of the lake was burned bare and it was still absolutely beautiful. You can hike around the lake during the day and stay up listening for gators at night. The map online isn’t really accurate with regards to bathrooms so be prepared to walk if you book something in the middle.

Great intro to camping

Has great bathrooms and plenty of hiking. Close to Orlando and 10 minutes from Publix so it won’t really matter if you forget something. If you are going with a larger group, check out the multi family sites. They are basically 3 individual sites out together with one fire ring. They’re huge and all close to the bathrooms. The rangers are very…attentive so make sure to respect their rules.

Great for families

This is top of my list for going camping with a bigger group.

Beautiful spot!

We stayed at a great, free, campground and though it was down pouring when we arrived, we had no issues going down the long road since it was gravel. It was such a beautiful spot and very quiet! Potts Preserve is 8,500 acres and protects the area's groundwater recharge capability and important surface water features and wetland habitats. It is part of the Southwest Florida Water Management District Conservation Lands.

Quiet, laid back, adults only. Beautiful view of The Gulf on scenic US98.

Full hook ups, gravel parking, cable TV, bathhouse, store, LP gas, clean and quiet, well operated.

Not the Florida you imagine about when you think Florida...

Hidden cabins, hiking, off-road biking, boating, wildlife…so much beauty and activities to enjoy in this park! The cabins are off the main path, tucked away and private. They are super roomy and comfortable with their own picnic tables and grills. You can launch canoes/kayaks or book a trip on the boats in the park. If you like off-road biking there are several nice trails. Really family-friendly!

Very nice, close to the parks

Cant think of a better place to stay and go to the parks in Orlando. Very well kept, nice pool, good little store, laundry, convenient, clean, lots of family activities to do. I'm going back in OCT.

Ranger Review Primus Lite XL Stove at Woods Ferry River Camp

Campground Review

Woods Ferry River Camp is the first in a series of river camps available about a day’s paddle apart on the Suwannee River From White Springs (River mile 159.3 GPS Location: N 30 21.22, W 82 51.37 ) to Adams Track (River mile 85.5 GPS Location: N 30 2.10, W 83 1.14). On our recent visit River Level was at 52 making it easy to get out of kayak on a small sandy area under ramp. One of the storage racks had been damaged in recent storm/flooding but one still remained and held our 6 boats easily. There are carts to help you get your gear up the high 200 yard, winding ramp to get to the camp. Recent weather has taken a toll on this favorite camp of ours. We stayed in screened pavilion # 3 and found the railing to be loose and many of the installed hammock hooks bent down and unusable. Shower in the men’s room was scheduled for repair so we “stood guard” for our male camping companion to shower in ladies room. Camp hosts were wonderful and had ice as well as firewood available “for donation”. Fire pits were all clean as well as the rest of the facility! There is a large pavilion with picnic tables and electricity available for use with a large fire pit and grills. Other than routine maintenance needing done this place is holding up well. It is still free to stay at the river camps. There is a very nice tent camping area also! Screened pavilions need a reservation during busy time of year (which I would suggest always try to get). Our outfitter offers a service to shuttle gear to site for a fee. This trip there was a terrible storm front that came through and we did not get to finish our trip and outfitter was able to pick us up at this location. As we were aware of the trouble we could have with the weather we were able to get a call out luckily( limited cell service here) and arranged for our outfitter American Canoe Adventures – to pick us up. The hard part was moving all our boats from the river up to where the van could get to. Long ramp in the pouring rain – not fun. You cannot drive into Woods Ferry, this is a river access location only, except for camp hosts and permitted outfitters.

Product Review

On this kayak camping trip I had the opportunity to test out the Primus Lite XL . This stove comes with a 1 liter pot (good to feed 2 persons) that actually connects to the stove to prevent spills! This connection between burner and pot made for a secure unit making it much easier to stir the pot! The heat flows through the specially designed bottom of the pot which had fins built in, this heats the pot and items you are cooking very efficiently! This new feature also aids in keeping wind from carrying away your heat! Another bonus feature is the igniter button – no need to carry extra lighter for this stove. The clear lid with strainer, footrest, and folding stove handles make this a complete package. Well built, seems like with will hold up well in the back country and light/compact enough for backpacking. Primus did a great job with this set!. As a rebel I also had to test burner without the included pot and unit provided stable support and cooked evenly. Great gas saving stove! Thank you #PrimusAmerica !

Get yours today at https://primus.us/products/lite-xl-4?variant=17262671429

My Family and friends have been here many times. We love it. It's got beautiful woods and gorgeous water.

This campground was good for a quick overnight stay.

Beautiful woods! Great for camping!

You have to bring your tent or camper and food and you are set! My family and I love this place.

Good for camping

Great campground with a lot of woods. It was beautiful and I enjoyed it.

Beautiful water year round!

I love camping and going in the springs. The nature is abundant here. Myself and my family and friends have been going here for years.

I love this place for a little hike

Thus is a beautiful place with lots of natural things. I love going there.

We enjoyed camping here. It's a beautiful campground.

Beautiful park

This place was very pretty. The water is clear and cold.

My Family and myself love Hillsborough!!!

Ive been going to Hillsborough for years. It's a great place to go and relax by the pool or take a walk along the river. It's absolutely beautiful and I'm going to continue to return for many more years.

Great place to Stay

Very clean park, Great facilities camping fees include water, sewer, electric, wifi, fire ring, picnic table, Shower house, laundry house, picnic pavilion, tennis, basketball, and kayak rental. At the office enjoy the lending store large selection of books, dvd’s, music cd’s to borrow. Bring your old ones to donate. Staff is very friendly, at check-in the staff was very informative on the facilities since this was my first time here. I stopped at the office as I was leaving to ask a question to find it was closed for lunch. Which was great met a couple who were waiting at the door to check-in. They had been coming here for years and I can see why. I was given lot 13 when checking in, the lady offered to change if I had a problem with the lot number, I laughed and explain during storage I am in space 13. I mentioned I change storage places and again got lot 13, The distance from my storage to Savannas Rec Park was 13 miles.She laughed and told me to go get a lottery ticket with 13 as the Powerball…..

Camping next to the Spring

Devil’s Den Spring is a one of a kind spring with diving and snorkeling offered. We camped here and were the only two in the campground since it was summer and their slow season. The bathrooms were clean and showers were available. The store also rented out snorkeling and diving equipment.

Relaxing Camping

The bathrooms and showers were clean. There wasn’t a lot to do in this area, we did try fishing in the lake adjacent to the campground, but didn’t catch anything. The campsites are surrounded by trees and large.

Great Forest/Spring getaway

This campground is in Ocala National Forest, which is always beautiful. The campsites are large, we fit 3 4+ person tents. This was one of the busier places I have camped in Florida. The facilities were clean and provided showers.