The best camping in
Florida

1972 Reviews 1177 Campgrounds
Camping Florida

Despite being home to some of the most popular beaches in America, Florida has more freshwater springs than anywhere else in the world. While tourists flood the coastlines, you can head inland to one of Central Florida’s dozen spring systems to find a beautiful, serene spot that is perfect for camping in Florida.

One of the largest, clearest spots is Ginnie Springs, located 35 miles northwest of Gainesville. The year-round 72-degree water is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, scuba, and cave diving. The seven-spring system is a magnet for divers who love the underwater cave system, while the gentle current of the Santa Fe River attracts day tubers and kayakers. Pack a snorkel when you go camping in Florida to be rewarded with glimpses of bass, mullet, catfish, turtles, and other natural critters.

Plus, with over one hundred campsites, visitors to Ginnie Springs can also enjoy accessible camping spots complete with electric hookups. If you’re looking for a truly authentic Florida experience, wilderness sites are also scattered throughout Ginnie Springs’ 200 acres, many of which are right on the riverfront or a spring. You will truly be one with nature as you wake up next to your own crystal-clear spring, waiting for you to dive in.

Another nearby spring system perfect for camping is Rainbow Springs State Park, located 60 miles straight south of Ginnie Springs. Rainbow Springs is the fourth largest freshwater spring in Florida and feeds into the Rainbow River, giving the spring a gentle current that is great for tubing or canoeing.The Rainbow River campground has 60 sites ready for both RVers and tent campers, complete with electrical service.

There is no better way to get in touch with nature or experience camping in Florida than with the natural water systems of the state. These refreshing sites are a unique Floridian attraction that will make your next camping experience stand out above the rest. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find more unique spots for all your camping in Florida needs.

Recent Reviews in Florida
Peaceful trail

Extremely peaceful. Trails are easy to follow. Easy access right off 301. Full loop is 6.2 miles and there is a half way loop which is 3 miles.

Some good some bad

This campground has a lot going for it however there is a downside there is construction going on right next-door and the noise starts at 7 AM and doesn’t let up till about 5 PM the park has great amenities and great location with the construction noise was a real bummer for me

Well Kept and Friendly Staff

Definitely one of the more popular destinations in the area because of the buffalo and wild horses, so this park camping and RV parking gets a lot of attention from rangers. The facilities are very clean and staff are courteous, grounds are well-kept and events (like baby alligator educational sessions) are above-par.

Not their fault (the state sets pricing) but primitive campsites are the same price as reserved ones with hookups, $18.

There is plenty of hiking in the park, but it’s also close to other inexpensive trails around Gainesville.

Dispersed with bathroom and outdoor shower

Lots of dispersed camping spots throughout, some right out in the open, and others are private. Campsites are scattered with nicely cleared areas within bush palms. Also available is a bathroom and an outdoor cold shower. (There is a book exchange in the bathroom) Simple horse stables with drinking water spigot.

Great dispersed camping

I've camped here a few different times and loved it every time. There are some older couples that come there every year. During hunting season, there are portable toilets, but no water. Picnic tables at various spots and plenty of shady areas.

Great place!

This place is amazing! So much to do! Friendly helpful staff! Kids, dogs, hubby & myself all are having an amazing time and will be returning next year.

Absolutely awesome

By far one of the best campgrounds we have ever stayed in, everything is clean and well kept.

Great experience!

First time camping and it was an amazing experience. Great place to go mountain biking and hiking. Also, the Rangers were very friendly at all times. Definitely recommend this place!

Absolutely beautiful

Ft.DeSoto sits at the mouth of Tampa bay and The Gulf of Mexico. The campground is open year around with 236 sites. They have a tent area and a separate pet area. Water sites are available. Large Class A may have trouble due to low limbs. All sites have electric and water (30 to 50amp) No sewers but 2 dump stations an site.

There is also a park office and camp store. A boat ramp is just down the road less than a mile away. Wonderful salt water fishing. Historical Ft. DeSoto is at the end of island. Entry fees are $5 to fort and beach area.

Nice camp

You will spend about hour to get there from alligator highway, despite it close location (you need make a loop).

camp by itself is very nice and quiet. it also has two locked entrances to special off-road  trails (ORV permit required).

Nice Location BUT...

What a beautiful location. Near the beach and Port Canaveral.

Unfortunately, this is a dust bowl. You park on concrete slabs that are for the most part, relatively level. All the roads are dirt so there is a lot of dust. If you sit outside for long, you will be covered in dirt. They should lay down a layer of peacock or gravel. That would surely reduce the amount of dust/dirt.

WiFi… HORRIBLE. You better have good cellular. I was near the WiFi pole and the speed test showed that my download was 0.02 MBS and the upload did not even register. It’s a shame that their WiFi is so bad. They have a lot of full time RV’ers that need WiFi in order to stay in touch with family, friends, etc.

I am not sure what other campgrounds are in the area but I cannot recommend this one unless you do not mind no WiFi and arriving with a clean RV - leaving with a filthy RV.

Awesome small town feel

Great little campground, not big and commercial like so many. Owners are wonderful and make you feel welcome. Can launch canoes and kayaks there or use the shuttle and get dropped off upriver and float back on day and multiday trips.

A frequent favorite

We live close enough to camp here often. It’s beautiful. Lots of trails to hike. Bring your kayak and bikes.

Ranger Review: Grub Stick at Lake Mills Park in Seminole County, Florida

Campground  Review:  Grub Stick at Lake Mills Park, Seminole County, FL

I took part in helping with a Great American Camp Out for 36 families with over 126 people at Lake Mills Park in Seminole County, FL.  This was a special use event so we used the big open field areas in the day use part of the park near the lake.  This was a very, very good and well run event on everyone's part.   I did visit the campground area and give it a thorough inspection as well as talked to staff that was there helping out with the event too.  There were 13…I mean 14 spaces available for camping in tents.  There was a community bathroom with small showers.  This is the perfect place for a weekend camp out.  The camp sites are just a short walk to the lake and the fishing pier.  There is a boardwalk through the wetlands but it was closed at the moment, but the staff I talked with said it was going to be repaired and opened back up soon.  They also mentioned that the park was slated for some upgrades and amenities this coming year. They do not encourage swimming in the lake but while I was there I did see some people in the water.  The fishing pier was nice and in a cove like area.  Several in our group caught some small fish and some turtles too. There is a fit para course that goes around the day use area.  A nice bathroom is there near some picnic shelters that have grills beside them and the small amphitheater area.  There is a nice playground for the kids to play on with picnic tables and grills nearby.  There is also a sand volleyball court.  Everyone in our group….all 126+ enjoyed the park immensely.  I can imagine the lake being a great spot to kayak too.

Lake Mills Park is not to far from the Little Big Econ State Forest and Econ River Wilderness Area.  There are many other places not to far away to that are neat for exploring.  A day to Titusville would be a good adventure.

This park is nice and quiet, But you can hear cars going by on the main road just outside the park at night,  BUT  it wasn't a big deal to any of us.  Just a little background noise once in awhile.

………………………………………………………………….

Product Review:  Grub Stick

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At Lake Mills Park I tested The Grub Stick:  The Four Piece set with Cinch Bag and the Thirteen Piece Deluxe set with Zippered Bag.

The four piece comes with:  a telescopic stick, a grubfork implement, a grubcage, and a release tool and comes in a cinch sack.

The thirteen piece comes with: two telescopic sticks, two grubfork implements, a grubcage, a burgcage, a grubtube, grubpocket, a release tool, a finger protector, a hot pad, a food holder ring, and a zippered bag.

1.  I love the idea of having this telescopic stick to cook multiple different ways and multiple different foods.  It is fun to try out the different implements and foods.  The website by the way has many different recipes you can cook with the various implements.  Who doesn't want to cook over an open fire for fun!!

2.  I love the 4 piece cinch sack since it is great for one person and lightweight for a back pack.

3.  The 13 piece Deluxe set is awesome for family and friends camp out since there are more sticks and implements.  I will take both and use them all when its family and friends.

4.  I find the metal and the implements hold up well to the heat and use.   The bags make it easy to contain everything in one spot.

5.  It is easy to clean up.

6.  It is also great that you can combine several sets for larger groups and they all work together with all the different sticks and implements.

I can't wait to go camping again with these. Especially with my nephews who will love getting to cook over the open fire.

Don’t follow GPS! And def NO wifi

We ended up deep in the ocala national forest. Make sure you look at a map before you go. Once you reach the forest you will lose all reception on phones. Campground states free WiFi but plan to be without. No WiFi worked while we were there. Neat trails and plan to return for summer and warmer weather and will bring atvs. Pet friendly. Seen a black bear roaming at night. John the firewood guy brought wood around for $10 in evening. Nice bathhouse if you need it.

Reserve America map is wrong

Ok but stacked on top of each other. Lots of rough dirt roads to get there. Quiet though.

Very quiet & clean

Great dry camping away from busy metro.

Expensive Florida camping

As a Full time Volunteer and NAP holder, it seems a bit much for non electric sites in a National setting. Yet the beauty of the spring is magnificent.

The most beautiful park in ALL of Florida

Nice camping, wonderful Seashore, and awesome historic site.

Amazing Florida Getaway

Very nice campground with friendly hosts. Holiday weekends are insane and busy. Get reservations… Enjoy the Tram and Hammock Loop, wow!

Amazing!

This is a true gem in South Florida, a remote island paradise. Miles of beaches with very few people and great hiking/biking trails through the scrub. Pack lightly as you will need to load and unload all of your stuff on the ferry and then the tram and then carry it to the campsite. There is no electricity but cell service with AT&T was great (not that I wanted to use it much). The camp store sells souvenirs and necessities (snacks, cold drinks, firewood, ice, more insect repellant). Restrooms are clean and there is potable water available there, so no need to bring your own and waste plastic. I was glad I didn’t bring my kayak, as it would have been a lot to haul with me, and I rented one for $20 for a half day on the island. Although bikes are also available for rent, I would probably bring my own bike next time as it would be helpful to get around during the 4 days I was there and find more remote locations.

Insects are a serious issue, even in the fall and winter. Hope for a breeze to deter the no-see-ums. I used DEET spray and a thermacell and a permethrin-treated tent and still left with dozens of bites, and that was in November. Next time I would wear pants and long-sleeve shirts in the evenings. Fortunately I didn’t see any rats while I was there

My campsite was #13 and it was one of the smaller ones but well-shaded and apart from the louder cabins. Some campsites have hammock posts and otherwise you are not allowed to hang hammocks on the trees, so plan accordingly.

Surprise

Some new sites done very well with concrete slabs, picnic tables, water,sewer, electric and wifi. Pool and water access too.

Fall stay

Great on the beach camp ground. Full service, good security, location and very friendly and helpful staff. I highly recommend.

Great State Park

Immaculately kept facilities. Interesting historical sites. Nice walking trail.

Weekend getaway

This place is great for a weekend getaway, it has new bathrooms with showers on location.

It has nice and easy hiking trails, one of the trails connects to Krul Lake which has a nice lake that you can swim in during the summer.

There is also a 6 mi loop for MTB, very easy route, good for the family and MTB beginners.

For tent camping it is great as well, you may camp near the lake away from the campground but you are from a walking distance of the bathrooms and hiking trails, there are two primitive sites on the north east side of the lake you can hike to it from the campground and it’s about a mile hike. You can drive to it but you have find the dirt road to it.

For RV/Camper, it was good, the pull through sites are better if you have a longer camper, the back in spots are a bit challenging to maneuver around especially if it is a busy weekend at the campground. They do have one dumping station on site.

You can fish on the lake too!

Overall the site is great for the family and friends.

Nice Off beat place to play OR Stay

The place is a nice hole in the wall on the side of the road, just past the north entrance of the Springs. They offer canoes, kayaks, rafts and tubes for rent and shuttle you to and from to take all of the work out of it. We paid a reasonable $85 for six of us in two canoes. The service was great, with two different people taking us and picking us back up. The shuttle was an old school van, similar to the Home Alone airport shuttle.

The canoes were good, but one did take in a little bit of water. Not enough to cause concern.

The sites are pretty primitive without hookups and they do offer some with electric/water closer to the front. The small cabins are basic, but do offer heat or AC, so are a step up from real camping. The only concern I would have would be toilet use if the park was busy. I would personally plan a visit back during the off season.

Old school, spacious and down to earth campground

I am excited to have added my first campground to the Dyrt Community, and look forward to many more.

I will admit that booking this campground gave me anxiety. It was several hours from home, and a reservation guaranteed a site, not a specific site. Having a family of five and two in laws in tow, it is usually more reassuring to pick out your site. I had found this site simply from Kym (manager) responding to a post in a local Facebook camping group. I thought she seemed nice, and the campground seemed rustic and welcoming. I decided to book us in for two nights over the Veteran's weekend (Sunday/Monday).

The booking process was very simple and old school. I emailed what we wanted, and they replied that they had availability and sent a link for the $20 secure site fee (we had electric/water, so this is required). It can be paid via Venmo or Paypal. They are old school and work via cash, so do not plan on using a card. Hit the ATM before you get close. We arrived a little later than we wanted (around 6:30). It was pretty dark. We followed the sign in the office to the host camp, right behind the rec hall. It was simple. The check in process took all of five minutes and we were sent to our site, which was 17 and right next to the rec hall and bonfire pit. We also ordered up two piles of firewood to start. They charge $5 (cash) and deliver right to your site.

We couldn't see the site well since it was dark, but it was clearly huge. We had no issue setting up our 12 man and 4 man tents with plenty of space to spare. When we woke up in the morning, we realized that we could have easily slept 50 people or more at our site. The site was private (cars provide a nice wall from the single opening) and wooded. They provided two tables (not crappy ones) and a big fire ring. The site had several trees that were good for hammocks or clothes lines. The water and electric were in a pretty logical spot and could easily reach anywhere in the site with a long enough hose or cord.

The campground itself is really no frills. They have a rec hall with OLD arcade games (this is a good thing), pool, foosball and air hockey. They have a jukebox with some country and rock choices to get your bones moving. The bathrooms are single person, one for each sex. They are kept immaculate. I ran into the grounds woman, and noted to her that I had never seen a place kept so clean. She told me that she is a retired nurse, so it makes sense. They also have two single showers. This is camping, not the Ritz. It is exactly what is needed.

We did not run into any wildlife issues. We did have a lot of bees, but they were not too bad. Ants were abundant, but again, this is Florida. The hosts were very nice and humble, and provided local recommendations for tubing and canoeing. The roads are well maintained and the place shows an overall sense of love. They are located just a minute down the road from the North entrance of the State Park.  We look forward to coming back here in the future.

Pure bliss

We had our baby moon here this past weekend (this is the second time I’ve camped at Cypress Glen and neither time was I disappointed). Campsite 49 has plenty of shade and backs up to a mini swamp which is beautiful for pictures. We had electric and eater on site and it’s pup friendly of course. Hot showers and clean bathrooms. A few feet from our site is a boardwalk which leads to 2 hikes one more inland and the other that follows around silver lake. Each one was beautiful. We will absolutely be back

great location

This is a campground inside a resort city, space is limited but it has beach access and a great location. Store is very well stocked and all the employees were very friendly and courteous. bathhouse is showing age but was clean and well kept. Was there for an event weekend and despite every spot being full we never felt crowded, stayed in tent site #99, all sites are very shady as they all have trees between them. We had lots of rain and the tent site was well drained. Only downside is the sites have lots of roots in them, be prepared if you are not using an air mattress.

Here for the winter months

This is a park with permanent sites, transient and seasonal people, with a the locals prominently making the social life active and fun. I have met families, retirees, and some are in RVs, some bought a place. It s declared full, yet lots of spaces have yet to be filled, so it is nice to be some of the first ones here for the season. My receipt declared this as an Encore resort.