Salt Lake City, UTAH

Nice Pools to Soak in Creek, but Close to the Highway

Nice Little CG close tothe Creek but also the Highway

Great Options next to the Reservoir

Beautiful campground

This campground is beautiful. It is small and next to a little river. Has lots of spots for rvs and ttent camping. Camp hosts are great.

Trail Runners Paradise

Millcreek Canyon is home to some wonderful trails that can be accessed by foot or bike. Although the canyon offers many hiking trails, the main use of the trails seems to be for trail running. There is a toll per vehicle to enter the canyon, but this can definitely be worth it because this is one of the only canyons that allows dogs!

Great little Koa and skoolie friendly

It's a great, clean Koa that is reasonably priced and has great customer service. It is also skoolie friendly.

Right Next to the Creek and the Best Climbing in the Stansbury Mountains

Stumbled upon this campground while fishing around at Grantsville Reservoir and decided to head up South Willow Canyon to review all these unreviewed campgrounds!  While the campground itself is officially closed for the season you could probably still camp here until the dirt road gets back enough that they close the gate towards the beginning of the canyon.  The main attraction for this and the Lower Narrows CG's is the extremely close proximity of amazing water carved bulletproof limestone climbing!  The Narrows climbing in South Willow Canyon is the premier HARD climbing spot for those in SLC that want to test their grit and push grades.  The routes here go up to 5.14a with very few routes under 5.11, although you can find moderates elsewhere in the canyon.  The 5.14a was but up by world renowned climber Chris Sharma and has been sent by other pros in the area like Jonathan Siegriest who claims it as "one of the top 5 5.14's in Utah."

Now enough about the absolutely amazing climbing and on to the actual campground!  This is one of 2 campgrounds that has very large group sites, so if you're coming here with a mob then this is one of the places to check out!  The group sites cost $50 and $90 and can hold 30 and 50 people respectively.  There are also 6 single sites @ $15 a night.  During the peak season May-Sept you can reserve the group sites on the recreation.gov website but at all other times they are first come first serve.  Like all the other campgrounds in the canyon you also need to bring your own water and trash bags.

Great Views of Deseret Peak at the End of the Road CG

A wonderful place to set up camp for a week for a week or to use as a basecamp to climb the high peaks that surround the terminus of the South Willow Canyon road!  On the way into the campground you get a great view of the rugged 11,000 foot Deseret Peak that looms over the campsites.  While you can't really see it from most of the campgrounds, the serenity afforded by the trees and distance between the sites is more than enough to satisfy most outdoors people.  For those that want to get a little closer to the peak, there is a 7 mile one way trail to the top of Deseret Peak that offers amazing views of the Great Salt Lake Valley!You can see all the way to the northern end of the lake as well as beyond the Bonneville Salt Flats into Nevada.

As for the campground itself it is fairly primitive and is very much like all of the other campgrounds in the canyon.  It is however a little bit larger, having 12 single sites for $15 and a double site for $31.  Like the other campgrounds you also need to bring your own water and trash bags as those amenities are not supplied.  There are fire rings and picnic tables at every campsite and enough room for 1 car to park off of the dirt road.  Another thing that is a little unique about this campground is that the stay limit is 7 days instead of the usually 14 that I see at most places

Beautiful Creek Access w/ Expert Level Climbing Routes a Stones Throw Away

Let me start off by saying the other review for this CG is about 250 miles off target.  The Narrows CG the other person is talking about is located in Zion National Park near St. George/Springville in southern Utah.  There are no soaring sandstone walls here!  There are however amazing overhanging water sculpted limestone cliffs that contain some of the hardest climbing that the west desert of Utah has to offer!  There are a decent amount of routes on either side of the road with the majority of the routes being near the Upper Narrows CG.

This CG is setup in much the same way as the Upper.  There are metal fire rings and picnic tables at each of the campsites with a vault toilet within a couple minutes walk from any of the sites.  There are only 3 sites and there are no water or trash facilities so bring all you need and then pack it all out!  The creek offers a nice respite from the heat in the summer and would probably be decent fishing as well.  I only saw a couple trout while wandering around but I'm sure there are more!

Smaller CG with great Creek Access!

This is the 2nd campground that you come across after you enter the Wasatch National Forest.  It is only a couple miles in after the dirt road starts.  Surrounding the campground are these amazing looking rock cliffs and outcrops that look like volcanic flows or maybe a pyroclastic flow or tuff.  Its really crumbly and doesn't make for good climbing but forms pretty "melting mud" walls.

There are 5 single sites all aligned in a row next to the creek.  2 of the sites are on the opposite side of the road, however, away from the creek.  As with all the other campgrounds in the canyon there are picnic tables and fire rings.  There are also vault toilets and you'll have to pack in all of the water you'll need (unless filtering?)  and pack out all your trash as there are no garbage cans.  Please be aware of this and help us keep this area clean and beautiful!

Great Medium Sized CG with Small and Large Group Sites

Despite its name this campground is for everyone, not only boy scouts!  I honestly have no idea why they named it this.  It's probably due to the fact that this is the only campground in the canyon that has a large group site capable of fitting up to 50 people.  This campsite lies at the end of the campground and has parking for 10 vehicles at least but you'll have to pay extra beyond what's included in the booking price.

The campsites in this campground have all the same amenities as the other campgrounds in the canyon which includes a picnic table, metal fire ring, and vault toilets withing walking distance.  It also appeared to have horse corrals but they could have just been a fence to keep people out of restoration areas.  As with the other campgrounds bring all the water you need or a filtration system and then trash bags to haul all your garbage out as there are no trash cans!

Wonderful Little CG by the Creek!

This is the very first campground that you come across after transferring from blacktop to dirt road past all the private houses.  It lies a little over a mile up the road and is the smallest campground with only 2 campsites.  This makes it one of my favorite as it will seem you have the forest and the creek all to yourself!  Be warned that all of the campgrounds in the canyon do not supply water or trashcans so you'll need to bring all you need to drink as well as trash bags to haul out all of your garbage.  There was an interesting little dam on the east side of the campground and I scared a bunch of trout out from under it as I walked across so bring your fishing pole or fly rod if you want to!

Not Much Shade and Exposed but you can Fish!

I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you have an RV.  With that being said it is a good spot to come fish for a day trip.  It offers beautiful views of the Oquirrh and Stansbury Mountains to the east and west respectively and the reservoir is stocked with trout almost 1 a month during the spring though fall.  The reservoir is also completely man made so you get the feeling that you're in a bowl within a bowl!

As for the campground itself there are the standard concrete fire rings, picnic tables, and vault toilets.  There are also a few gazebos around with the campsites radiating off of them like spokes of a tire.  Now the reason I said that I wouldn't camp here without an RV is because there are absolutely NO TREES anywhere!  So it can get super windy and uncomfortable in a tent if a storm blows through.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Apparel at Mineral Basin Dispersed

Campground Review: Mineral Basin is located in the Wasatch Mountains to the East of Salt Lake City. If you have ever skied Snowbird, this camping area is the same as the backside and keep going down. This area is beautiful and primitive camping. Resulting in two major points: It is free and in order to keep it nice, please pack out what you pack in!! We accessed this area via the east side and Wasatch State Park and Midway, UT. It is a long dirt road which is relatively maintained. There is a lot of side by side activity on these roads so some of the corners have been banked/rutted out but a non-lowered vehicle should be able to navigate the roads with only a few bottom scrapes.(If you want to drive a bit higher into Mineral Basin than our campsite, a high clearance or off-road vehicle is required). We have seen tents as well as trailers camping in this area(as long as you are comfortable pulling your trailer on unpaved mountain roads). The campsite we chose was off a small spur road which offered privacy and was along a small stream. The flowing water provided some great ambiance and white noise while we slept. As with other primitive camping, there is nothing here with regards to amenities with the exception of an established fire ring. Our site did have a nice flat spot dug out but that may not be the case for all the spots. We brought everything we needed for a one-night excursion and couldn't have had a better time. There are some hiking trails nearby (Pittsburgh Lakes trailhead was just a little farther up the road from us) and lots of open space for my husband to run the dog out by chasing his RC car. We visited in September before the leaves started to change, but fall would be a beautiful time to camp, but be prepared for cold once the sun goes down. Overall, this is my type of camping--primitive and isolated to enjoy being outside.

Gear Review: Banner & Oak Apparel and Hats

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get the awesome opportunity to test out gear once in a while. While I was in Mineral Basin, I had the chance to try out a shirt as well as a hat from Banner and Oak. Being a busty female, I am always hesitant to purchase female cut clothing online as sizing is so inconsistent I can never be sure of it fitting. However, I was very surprised (and pleased) to have the Coyote - Indigo shirt not only fit but was comfortable. The female cut with shorter sleeves and contoured sides made me feel like I was wearing a comfy tee without the boxy feel. The material is a soft jersey blend which didn't shrink when washed. I think this is going to be my go-to shirt for everyday summer wear as well as my outdoor adventures. I also purchased a few hats. Because I was not too excited about the ladies hats (the only design I liked was in pink and I am not a pink kinda gal), I purchased the men's Bighorn - Khaki for myself and the Switchback - Gray for my husband. The Bighorn  has a curved brim which the Switchback is a flat brim. Both have adjustable mesh backs but if you tighten it too much it will look a little funny. These are definitely men's hats as they crown is taller but I didn't mind it. The construction of these hats is very sturdy--the crown is solid and won't become misshapen if it is caught in the rain (or left out for morning dew like mine was). I also liked the color scheme which as earthy and outdoorsy--definitely that go-to hat for outdoor adventures. The only negative I found is the brim inside will need to be worn in a little as the build it rigid and the fabric is a little scratchy as it is more of a canvas material. Overall, Banner and Oak has created a great line of products which are fashionable, comfortable, and most importantly durable to keep up with the outdoor enthusiast.

Great clubhouse

Really nice RV resort near Interstate. Pull throughs or back in on paved level sites. Picnic table. FHU. Sites typically close with grass area seperating. No shade or privacy. Narrow interior roads. Nice bathhouses with private shower/toilets. Wifi and cable. Great play area. Bikes available including kid sized. Paved 80 mile bike trail along Jordan River. Giant chessboard. Nice pool area. Amazing clubhouse with pool table, foosball, large TV, comfy chairs, guest kitchen area. Complimentary coffee, tea and fresh made cookies. Friendly, helpful employees!

Great for a quick getaway

Loud neighbors kept us up till 3am and when we complained that offered to move us for $40. Eventually was able to get the camphost to y’all to the folks next to us. Otherwise beautiful and super convenient. Would return again

Place Gets a Bad Rep

Beautiful relaxing campsite. Spent the night at Bridger’s Bay this past weekend and was pretty nervous having heard bad things. There were some mosquitos but otherwise no bugs, having grown up camping in the woods of Wisconsin and Georgia the bugs here are way better than that. Campsites are well spaced out so we didn’t hear any of our neighbors, plenty of starlight, beautiful sunrise and sunset, and amazing views of the lake. We saw plenty of bison and mule deer and had a wonderful time. Would definitely recommend as long as it isn’t may/June when the bugs are especially bad

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs!!!

Beautiful views, if you can stand the bugs. We stayed one night in the RV campground. Dry camping. Tried to walk down the the water, when the bugs weren’t eating us alive, the smell of all the dead birds at the water was making us gag. Did drive over to the ranch area and walked around without any problems with bugs or smells. The wind was crazy that night and we could literally feel the camper rocking back and forth. Still a beautiful place to camp, and I would go back with netting to wear over my head.

Another Wasatch gem

Product review posted with day use review! The day use are is fun for lunch or picnic, we came here just for a hike and a bite too eat. Easy trails around with some harder ones if you want to explore. Very short drive up, and very worth it.

Product review: As a ranger for the Dyrt, we get to have test certain outdoor products. And this time while camping and hiking in the Wasatch mountain range, we were able to review https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/scrambler-black we absolutely love this company now, for starters, we ordered 3 hats from them. Someone stole the package from our porch, or the delivery company misplaced it. Either way, banner and oak replaced it, we felt very taken care of when we had an immediate response. For starters the rockhopper trucker hat is authentic, it’s just not for us. I love the actual feel of the cloth as liner, but it really just fits my head weird. 3/5 on that one, solely for it not fitting right any almost 30$ for a trucker hat.. we hate to do it. Next we have the classic strap back trailhead hat. For 15$ it’s perfect, you can’t ask for too much with a flat bill strapback but it’s there to deliver. Comfortable fit, easy on the wallet. We’d buy it again. Now here is the most amazing hat you’ll wear. Ever wonder why those road bicycle guys never look too sweaty in their hats, but they just look geeky. Banner and oak found a way to fit in the very small window of comfortable and not geeky. It breathes amazing, it’s comfy, even the plastic in the back it’s made better, you can get it wet, it drys. It looks good. It’s my favorite hat now. Hike with it, walk with it, fly with it, bike with it, it’s the hat you need. For 29$ it’s the last hat you’ll want to buy. I’m talking about the scrambler. Get it.

Noisy, but pretty

We stayed one night in early September, it was very hot, and this location has no hookups, so plan to be hot. Nice big sites, lots of wildlife all around. Nice swimming beach, fresh water. Pretty sunsets, and a nice view of mountains to the east. Sites in this campground are large. Lots of room to spread out, play games and have fun. Wild life is abundant here, birds, raccoons, deer. I loved the crickets chirping. Front gate staff was helpful, but agree with other comments, you have to pick a space before you come in.

Bad part was the freeway noise. Even with ear plugs I could not sleep. Worst: trash was everywhere. Showers in bath houses were unusually small and cryptic.

For the price, the lack of access to pick a spot, strictly enforced entry time, the trash and noise, I will look elsewhere for a place to stay.

Pretty but noisy and full of trash

Do not normally comment about trash, but this time, it was everywhere. This place appears to get a lot of visitors from locals, so it is busy on the weekend. We came on a Thursday and other than mostly a lot of RV’s overnighting like us, it was pretty empty. Standard sites in northern most loop are largest and mostly pull through sites. Big and roomy and some on the water. FHU sites are also large, mostly back ins and some pull through sites. Avoid sites on the eastern side which is near I-15. The freeway noise was so loud it prevented sleep, even with ear plugs. Pros: nature trail with lots of birds and deer, fresh water swimming beach, pretty sunsets, and a nice view of the mountains to the east. For $40 a night and the loud traffic, I will look for another location to try.

Lots of Birds, Crickets and Pretty Sunsets, but trash and noise, too

Came here in early September, post Labor Day, enroute to other places. It was over 100 so we took a FHU site in Cottonwood. Pros: big sites, mostly back ins, but some pull through with a covered picnic table. Hookups were in good shape, note the sewer is toward the back, not the middle so bring lots of sewer hose. Bathhouses with showers provided. Lots of birds, a nice nature trail, and this facility is on a fresh water lake and it was nice to take a swim. Walking around at dusk we saw deer and a large barn owl. Sounds of the crickets made for a very magical feel just after sunset. Nice sunset over the lake and to the east were some beautiful mountains- wonderful views.

Now for the bad: I-15 noise was horrible, no sleep even with a fan going and earplugs. Bath houses are small and cryptic. But clean. If it is hot, get a shady site many are in full sun. Worst for me was the trash. It was everywhere. Obviously the folks who are in charge don’t mind candy wrappers, bottle caps, zip ties, and other small trash, bottles and cans in the bushes along the nature trail. It needs some serious trash clean up. The views of the mountains were nice, but the sound of the freeway kind of ruined it.

For $40 a night and no ability to even take a look to pick a site as a walk up, I would look for another place to stay further off the freeway. Staff was helpful at the front gate, do not try to get in before 3:00 on your day of check in. They strictly enforce it. Too bad the sites were so full of trash….maybe it was the heat.

Great Place to Stay at or Use as a Basecamp

Like most KOA's this place has a ton of amenities and things to keep you comfortable all without leaving the property!  There's a swimming pool, playground, and doggy walking kennel.  There is also a small store inside the office building and a couple amp selections for RV and trailer hookups.  Also included is the standard Wi-fi and water hook up.

This campground is pretty easy to access from the interstate and requires only 3 right turns and a couple miles.  Nearby is the Migratory Bird Refuge and Willard Bay State Park which also has a couple options for camping.  In the opposite direction of the Great Salt Lake lies the Northern Wasatch Mountains with plenty of canyons to cool off in during those hot days in the valley

Idyllic campground - leafy, shady, ponds...beautiful!

I love Camp JJ! Easy distance to civilization, fun things like a real train caboose, and a green, leafy, beautiful area to set up camp! The ponds just add to the peaceful nature that surrounds this camp. (Fishing is catch and release only).

Beautiful views, desert-like area.

This campgroudn has beautiful views. It is a dry area and hot mid-summer, but good base for ATV, bike, and hunting areas. No ATV/bike riding or hunting on the campground - just a good base camp for those types of activities. It's a developing camp, so while it's free-range and fairly primitive camping, the current construction is eventually expected to provide potable water, campsites, flushing toilets, and showers.

No electricity

No hookups

Great overnight

$20 a night can't beat it.

Hidden Gem

My family and I have been coming here for years. It has a lot of trailer spots that are almost all pull throughs and have hook ups. It’s fun to bring kayaks and float the river. The people who manage the camp ground have done a wonderful job.

Come for the AMAZING DARK SKIES, avoid Mayfly season

Antelope Island is NOT for the faint of heart.

To be clear there are 2 reservable campgrounds here. The first is Bridger Bay which is basically Utah's Mad Max campground. If you don't own an RV why would you even? The second is Lady Finger with 5 walk in sites. The walk is less than 2 minutes for all 5.

In early spring you have thousands of biting flies. Some are HUGE Midges and they will bite several times- wear very tight long sleeves. Others are teeny and crawl all over your scalp and only the finest mesh hats will keep most at bay- they are very creative in getting past protective clothing.

We camped in late July to see the Perseid Meteor Shower which I HIGHLY recommend. We stayed in site 5 which is off on it's own little trail but still close to the parking. Eeach site gets 1 reserved parking.. which may be occupied by sunset chasers so come early to stake your claim. Once inside Antelope Island Park you have until 10pm before the gates close- you can leave anytime but you can't get back inside after 10pm.

If you come late summer you WILL be accosted by thousands upon THOUSANDS of Orb Spiders. They can weave their webs overnight and they will be right across your path as you go to the bathroom- SURPRISE! They are there for the hideous flies so PLEASE leave them alone. They are not poisonous or aggressive but their webs will be all over the picnic table and on all the tall grass going to your campsite and to the bathroom. These spiders are only in LadyFinger- the RV campground is exposed to the elements and spider free. This is a dry camp but there are 2 rest stations which are cleaned out on Saturday so THANKFULLY smells are not a major issue.

I cannot recommend sky and bird watching here enough.  Skies here are open in all directions- it's amazing to see satellites pass and look west and see city lights as well. It's also nice and quiet. Campsite reservations have been easy anytime I go as it's not a very well known campsite- yet. PS- no fires allowed and if allergic you'll want to bring plenty of meds- this area has all the major allergens- mites, grass seed and Sagebrush.

Too close to a major city- noisy and unsafe.

Stayed here for Father's Day. Everything that could go wrong did. First someone took our campsite. I spoke to the male adult putting up the tent he told me the "guy" said it was ok for him to camp there. I went to speak to the Camp Host who said he had actually told them it was "ok if no one showed up". Possibly the stupidest thing to tell a family with several young children as guests can show up at any time during the night; something CLEARLY evidenced by all the motorcycle noise and car lights that night. I asked the host if he could help me vacate the campsite but he refused. So I had to have an totally uncomfortable conversation with a Dad who was very upset. He kept asking how did I reserve the site so I told him that it was listed on Recreation.org and that anyone could reserve it months ahead of time.  Next morning we also had people shooting in the woods behind the campground- apparently shooting the trees is a thing people do for fun here. Try to play this game- people having fun or mass shooter? Who knows! There were also a LOT of flies everywhere this time of year and they just kept going on our clothes and hair- it was disgusting. People were chopping  trees to make firewood. The Squirrels are pretty aggressive getting really close and jumping on our table while we ate, several managed to chew holes in our our gear. OH and the water was shut off because they had just tested it and it was positive for E.Coli- FUN!  I don't recommend at all. Go further into the canyon if you seek some quiet.