The best camping in
Colorado

Camping Colorado

When it comes to camping in Colorado, the options are almost limitless. From the valleys of the state’s highest peaks to Garden of the Gods and beyond, you’ll find alpine lakes, red rock formations, craggy peaks, dense pine forest, and wildflower-dotted meadows all right outside the tent door.

While Colorado claims many iconic destinations, Garden of the Gods ranks near the top of many visitors’ lists. The red rock formations backed by towering mountain ridgelines offers a jaw-dropping location for both hiking and camping in Colorado. Head to the Garden of the Gods RV Resort and pitch your tent for easy access to adventure, or opt for a cottage to enjoy a little luxury at the edges of one of Colorado’s most scenic locations. Enjoy easy day hikes through the namesake park, or explore the trails that trace through Red Rock Canyon Open Space.

If wilderness and solitude are more of what you’re looking for, ditch the big city and head for Twin Lakes, the basecamp for Colorado’s highest peak, Mount Elbert. Situated at a lofty 9,900 feet on the edges of Turquoise Lake, May Queen Campground offers both tranquility and million-dollar views. Sleep beneath a starry sky amidst lodgepole pines and spend your days exploring the Turquoise Lake Nature Trail. Ambitious hikers can post up at the Elbert Creek campground and head for the Mount Elbert trailhead to tackle the challenging trek to the 14,433-foot summit. And, don’t forget the fishing rod for this destination: angling on any of the nearby lakes is a great way to enjoy sunny summer days camping in Colorado’s mountains.

Those looking to stay closer to the Mile High City can find tent camping at Echo Lake campground on the outskirts of Idaho Springs, or at Aspen Meadows campground in Golden Gate Canyon State Park. Whether it’s a weekend getaway not far from the city or a challenging and inspiring adventure deep in the mountains, the medley of camping in Colorado has something for everyone.

Recent Reviews in Colorado
Maiden Voyage

We took our maiden voyage here (just in case things went sour) had a great time. Friendly neighborhood of easy to pull through camp sites. Great facilities (including the dump station), close enough to town for a quick adventures and a nice playground for the kids.

Phenomenal!

We stayed here with our popup camper for a week and loved the area. The views are outstanding, the sites (non electric) were spacious and the bathrooms/showers were very clean. This campground is a good balance in proximity to Steamboat and to the mountain bike trails in the area.

There are full hookup RV sites and as expected, they are pretty tightly spaced. That said, I would consider staying here on the RV side of the campground as well. Everyone we met was friendly and respectful of quiet times etc.

Ugh

Too many people

Can’t recommend for tenting

Leaving a review at 4 stars to keep the average.

We stopped in late looking for a tent spot. The only tent sites this location provides for late check in are their luxury riverside tent sites, despite their being a huge open loop of others(that other tenters had booked earlier in the day). I’m not going to get started on how horribly placed and awkward these late spots are. But I will say you’ll get charged $50/night for them.

We just booked a hotel instead.

Great spot just north of Nederland, CO

Found this spot just exploring the area. Was actually headed down to the Rainbow Lakes campground but the campground was closed at the time. It is a nice little pull-off spot with plenty of room to park and several camp spots down in this area. A fire ring was present and with no fire bans in place we were able to get a good fire going. Plenty of dead trees around for firewood. This spot has a nice stream by it as well providing a pleasant white noise for sleeping.

Great trail campsite with a creek

Saw this trail-side camp site while out Jeeping in the mountains near Breckenridge, CO. Nice pull-in site with a fire ring available and plenty of firewood that you can cut up around. The area was in a fire ban at the time so we were not able to start a fire. Had a nice sound of the creek rushing along beside us. Arrived at camp a little late that night (was already dark) and had no traffic around during our whole stay. There are lots of similar sites along the trail.

Great spot off of Boreas Pass Trail

Found this spot at about 7PM on a Friday night near the Breckenridge end of the Boreas Pass Trail (39.451441,-106.014294). The spot does have a fire ring but was unable to use it as a fire ban was in place at the time. Could hear some occasional traffic noise as cars were leaving the trail. Temperature got down to 16 degrees that night. Altitude is about 10,600 feet at this site.

Camp with views of the Dunes right out your tent door

I really enjoy staying at Pinyon Flats, of all the park service campgrounds this is on the top of my list. If you get the right sight you will have amazing views of the dunes and surrounding mountains. The sites have plenty of room for the tent camping folks, things can get tight for RVs. Some of the site are pretty close to each other, but spacing for most is quiet nice. The restrooms were very clean with flush toilets, and dish washing facilities outside. Each site has a picnic table, metal fire rings, and bear proof food lockers. Be sure to watch the dunes in the evening as the low setting sun cast shadows over the sand dunes. Get hiking opportunities in the park, but one of the best is hiking through the dunes. Campground roads and parking pads are paved. Campground takes reservations so it can get difficult during the summer months to find a spot if you don't have a reservation. This last visit in the beginning of October we found plenty of open sites for the night. Campground has 88 sites at$20 a night.

Beautiful in white!

My wife and I took our inaugural trip in our small camper to Pinewood Reservoir last weekend during the front range's first snowfall for 2019.  We had just bought our camper and weren't about to let a little snow stop us from trying things out.  We drove up on Thursday and the roads, despite some steep climbs and winding curves, was in great shape.

We found the campground empty, and already white with the snowfall.  We had a reserved a spot and claimed it.  Several other sites appeared to be reserved, but with the weather, we had the place all to ourselves.  Heaven, with just a taste of lonely.  Even with the snow and us being novices we set up without a hitch and were soon enjoying the magical panorama of the lake below us and the hills and mountain tops around us.

By Friday the weather had cleared and the Colorado blue skies had returned.  While it was still chilly a few other campers arrived, including a number of Boy Scouts trying to hone their cold weather tenting skills.  By our Saturday departure, the camp ground was filling up and we enjoyed meeting some nice neighbors.

All in all the place was perfect.  the water access was off due to the seasons cold, but the place was clean, the restrooms were open, and the electricity was on.  A great place for late season, and I am sure it is busy but spectacular during the summer.

Beautiful and relaxing

Super clean, great facilities and friendly staff!

Perfect Colorado Camping

See my other Review for Dakota Ridge. Another 5 stars with all amenities and screaming Verizon Wifi

Stunning CO mtns surround you

We tested out maiden working on the road trip at this spectacular state park. It was end of the season so some loops were closed. Each site gave privacy with nature in between. The WiFi tower was right in the campground so WiFi was screaming. Mild temperatures in October. 5 stars!!!

An Amazing National Park campground

Nice campground - But be prepared for sticker shock

Morefield Campground is the only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, but be forewarned, you might just experience a little sticker shot at the price. Cost for a tent site with NO hookups was almost$35 after taxes. The campground does has flush toilets and wifi through out the campground. Next to the camp store are showers and a coin laundry. Each campsite has a picnic table, tent pad and metal fire ring. The campsites really vary in appearance, some are out in the open right next to each other, other are in the trees and bushes which gives you a little more privacy, but most are still right next to another very close site. Some other these are perfectly level areas, others will have you going up of down stairs. The sites with stairs seemed to be slightly more secluded. While it was nice to have restrooms with running water, their was no way to dry your hands, so bring a towel with you as they have no paper towels or air driers for you hands. Water could be found at the restrooms. For you trash you had to find the one dumpster in the middle of the camping loop, but be warned, it could be difficult for some to open. I was a bit disappointed that the campground wasn't kept in better shape, especially for the price they were charging. Several campsites were closed due to needing repair, and the trail from the camp loop to the store was falling apart, it is need of new pavement or just remove it and go to a dirt path. They have Wifi, and said it was better the closer to the restrooms you were, but if a few people are using it, it really slows down. The Wifi was nice as you have no cell service in the campground. All in all this is a nice campground except for the price.

Reserve ahead of time - camp reservation system unrealible using phone

This is more of a review on the Colorado's reservation system than the campground it self.  This is a by reservation only campground, which I did not know about before arriving as I was traveling and this was not my intended stopping point for the night.  As it turned out I was unable to camp here.  Arrived at 7pm after hours and they only way to make a day of reservation was to use their online system which started out fine.  Made a account with Colorado, then made one for the reservation system got to the final step and then it would not let me agree to the terms of service, tried numerous times with out luck.  They have two ways to pay for your entrance to the park, by paper or electronic means at a kiosk, but only through their reservation system for a campsite.  Would be nice if the kiosk would let you reserve a site.  So if you are traveling and need a campsite get here early while park staff are still on duty or you might be out of luck.

Close to Denver, but great retreat

We stay at Kelly Dahl when we get to Denver.  Favorite campground for us and our niece and her husband.

WIFI…non-existent and phone coverage (Verizon) is very sketchy.

Did not see any staff during our two days there….except to tell us that the campground closed for season on the following day.  (We knew this.)

No showers.

Vault Toilets only…Very clean.

Sites are not always great, and some of the larger campers are going to have problems with size, and level-ness of pads.  I think that they are all dirt pads.

Lots of good space in the campground.

A shame that the beetles have done so much devestation in the area.

Super Friendly and Clean

The office manager was extremely helpful and friendly. He drove by 2 times to make sure we had everything we needed while tent camping. The bathrooms were very clean and the water nice and hot. They also have a kitchen area with microwave, filtered water and a sink for dishes, which was really convenient.

Great spot

Location is great! A mile walk into the quaint town of Redstone, 20min drive to Carbondale or Marble (opposite direction). Fun hikes near by and great fly fishing at the Crystal River (walking distance from campground). Hosts were great. We had site #1. Shared site but spacious with great views. No cell reception anywhere until you get to Carbondale. We drove into Redstone to get some WiFi bear the Inn.

$25 quick basic stop-over

Good place for a quick stop-over for the price. It's basic. Water, power and sewer on a gravel lot. Not a destination campground. CASH ONLY

Great campground!

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a cabin and initially only booked for one night but decided to stay another.
Campground is well maintained, clean restrooms and showers, a yard game area, and a nice pool.
The cabin was clean and had electricity! They also had a nice playground for the kids. Walking around the campground had some great views.
This area is a must visit! The Great Sand Dunes National park is unique and unlike any other. My kids and I had a wonderful experience!!! Highly recommend.

Ranger Review of Banner & Oaks' Patriot Navy Blue T-Shirt At Morefield Cam

Nice campground but a bit pricey

Ranger Review of Banner& Oaks Patriot Navy Blue T-Shirt

I really like this T-shirt. Fit is just right and the shirt is really soft, and has stayed that way after numerous washings. The best thing is that it is American made, hard to find much in the way of clothing that is anymore.

Lake camping

Great small campground,  beautiful lake, clean,  good fishing, ATVing, biking.

RV camping

Nice if you want a koa experience.  However not enough shade for RV'S without full hookups.

Lake camping

Nice campground close to great hiking

Tent camping

great campground close to hiking, biking, etc. Clean, fairly quiet if no rv with generators

Not worth it.

The road up is rough. We knew that based on reviews, however, based on the reviews I expected a payout of an awesome campground at the top with great views of the Sand Dunes. The campground did have views but it’s of the farming valley below not the Sand Dunes. The sites were not very level and while some what spaced out not in any way private. Most were along the road that comes in.

We ended up going back down disappointed. The National Park was full so we stayed at the Oasis. Not much in the way of level campsites again, but hot showers and a bit more private.

Awesome riverside camping

Went through the camp on foot this week, looking for a picnic spot on our road trip. This was an awesome campsite and I would love to come back. Campground was closed this late in the season. Great picnic tables, fire rings, vault toilets, water available, and clear info signs. River running through campground which was awesome for the dogs!

Diamond in the Rough

This is an absolutely amazing place to stay and camp in the desert. The owners are amazing and have gone above and beyond to make this place awesome. It’s like college dorm style living, but outside. Hot showers, pit toilets, and a fully appointed public kitchen with an ice machine really bring it all together. I really enjoyed using the kitchen and covered sitting area, which is nice to get out of the wind. The observation deck is also a great place to sit and watch the sunset and stars. I will be coming back to here again and again! Would be an awesome place for a teardrop camper.

Ranger Review : Outdoor Element at Dispersed Grand County Rd 11, MBRNF

Campground Review

Beautiful spot to watch the Aspens change. Fairly open camp spot, mostly flat, lots of room for a trailer if you'd like. Good spot to have a group gathering, large fire pit and good amount of room for people and cars and camp.

Had a pair of moose, Mom and Calf, walk right through, about 15 yards from me, while I was waiting for my dinner to re-hydrate. They seemed to have no cares.

Fair amount of trails around if you can find them, although not maintained by anyone it seems, except maybe hunters? Beautiful area to explore!

…………………………………………..

Product Review

I tested the Outdoor Element Firebiner, a Survival EDC Carabiner

Great little tool to have with you! Just in case, cuz you never know. Especially here in CO!

The many functions of the Firebiner I have yet to try, but the fire starter and tinder quicks I did. It takes two hands, so trying to film it was a bit of a struggle for me. But the spark was very intense and lit the tinder quick within 3 strikes. I then laid it onto a home made fire ensurer in the wood tepee with paper and it was full blaze on in no time!

I have one clipped to my daily backpack. One in my hunting bag. The lightweight and useful functions make it easy to add to any bag or kit, car, truck, outdoor, emergency and more!!

Amazing Campground with Friendly Hosts

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by how great this campsite was. The hosts were very friendly, clean bathrooms, easy to access trash, and breathtaking nature surrounding you. You can't go wrong! The dirt road to access these sites could use a repave so expect slow speeds to get there. There is also dispersed camping on both sides of the road prior to getting there. I feel that $17 a night is worth the bathroom, water, table, and trash that is included. Bring cash, payment is due within an hour of getting there. Enjoy! We really can't say enough about this place.