The best camping in
Colorado

Camping Colorado

When it comes to camping in Colorado, the options are almost limitless. From the valleys of the state’s highest peaks to Garden of the Gods and beyond, you’ll find alpine lakes, red rock formations, craggy peaks, dense pine forest, and wildflower-dotted meadows all right outside the tent door.

While Colorado claims many iconic destinations, Garden of the Gods ranks near the top of many visitors’ lists. The red rock formations backed by towering mountain ridgelines offers a jaw-dropping location for both hiking and camping in Colorado. Head to the Garden of the Gods RV Resort and pitch your tent for easy access to adventure, or opt for a cottage to enjoy a little luxury at the edges of one of Colorado’s most scenic locations. Enjoy easy day hikes through the namesake park, or explore the trails that trace through Red Rock Canyon Open Space.

If wilderness and solitude are more of what you’re looking for, ditch the big city and head for Twin Lakes, the basecamp for Colorado’s highest peak, Mount Elbert. Situated at a lofty 9,900 feet on the edges of Turquoise Lake, May Queen Campground offers both tranquility and million-dollar views. Sleep beneath a starry sky amidst lodgepole pines and spend your days exploring the Turquoise Lake Nature Trail. Ambitious hikers can post up at the Elbert Creek campground and head for the Mount Elbert trailhead to tackle the challenging trek to the 14,433-foot summit. And, don’t forget the fishing rod for this destination: angling on any of the nearby lakes is a great way to enjoy sunny summer days camping in Colorado’s mountains.

Those looking to stay closer to the Mile High City can find tent camping at Echo Lake campground on the outskirts of Idaho Springs, or at Aspen Meadows campground in Golden Gate Canyon State Park. Whether it’s a weekend getaway not far from the city or a challenging and inspiring adventure deep in the mountains, the medley of camping in Colorado has something for everyone.

Recent Reviews in Colorado
Ok for a stopover

Lots of long term semi-dilapidated rv’s here. It’s near a ranch, so there are some animal smells and quite a few flies. We also had a lot of earwig bugs at our site. New playground equipment was nice, and the store was well stocked. Try to get one of the spots closer to the playground side as they seem better maintained.

Guest trespassed and released her full size doberman on us in our lot!

DO NOT COME TO THIS PARK IF YOU WANT TO FEEL SAFE! Yes we were offered the"premium" spot at the park because it was quite and off in a corner with no reason for any other customers to go thru our lot. After we moved in it was nothing but a constant barrage of other guests constantly on our lot even after the 2nd! no trespassing sign was posted by the owner. Ohh and it gets worse. The"premium" lot we live in is next to the dog area. Well other guests take that as permission to take there dogs out of that area to pee and poop on and next to my RV. As in so close that one of them was staring at me thru my own drivers side window in my RV and his nose was piratically on the screen. There website says no dogs off lease in park no exceptions….. well on 4th of July night me and my wife talked to the male owner Mike and he said that the lady with the full size doberman was allowed to have her dog off lease in the dog area right next to our"premium" lot thus making it the only place to have your dog off lease in the whole park. Now when I brought that up in front of Kathy the wife owner Mike flat out lied and said he never told me and my wife that. Well one evening the lady with the full sized Doberman came over and again against the rules unleashed her dog(now this dog area has NO FENCE AT ALL!!!!) turns her back on it for over a min then when he was done puts it on leash and proceeded to trespass on our lot where our"private" creek access was. Now I was told by the owner Kathy to start to asking people"my i help you" when we see them trespassing. Well my wife did just that. The dog owner who was trespassing on my property and in full knowledge of the leash rule turned around and released her dog on us! Yes she pulled our a weapon and released it on us! This morning I talked to the owners and was told if I didn't feel safe I was ok to leave and they would give me my monthly money back. But the lady who trespassed and released her dog on us on our property was being allowed to stay because she was living in a 5th wheel with no way to move it! How many times have us full timers seen that excuse for doing what you want and thinking you wont be kicked out for it. So be warned this park is a tribal rule park.. IE if enough rule breakers decide you have to go they will just keep coming at you till you complain then they get the owners to boot you out. The police officer who came out to right the ticket for trespassing told us he would have shot the dog if he was in the situation we were in. My wife in the process of trying to get away from the full sized Doberman hurt her knee. If we were average Americans we would have already called a lawyer and would be suing the lady and the park since the park gave her permission to release the dog in a park where they advertise no dogs off lease no exceptions! Run far far away from this place. Kathy is a great person who tries to keep things professional but nice but the residents here own her. She will say they dont but as long as you can trespass and release your attack dog on other residents on their property and still be allowed in the park that means they run in not her. And Mike her husband I have no respect for. He told me and my wife he was ok with the Doberman being off leash then lied to me and his wife when called on it. Read my reviews I don't ever get this much detail or be this upset ever but after being told she was being allowed to stay and that if I didn't feel safe I could leave… do I need to say anything else. We have followed all the rules in this park to a T. And we were polite and kind to everyone around us. And Kathy admitted to that when I asked her if we said or did anything wrong. Please take this seriously because that dog could have maimed my wife or myself with the permission of Mike the owner since he told her it was OK for her to release her dog.

Great Colorado State Park

Colorado does a great job with their parks and this is no exception. Stayed here spur of the moment booking two nights prior to the stay. It’s a large facility and when we booked, for a midweek stay, there were 11 sites available, one with power. We had a large site with great views of the mountains and if we stood on our tippy toes we could see the lake.

We’ll be back aiming to snag one of the sites with lakeside views.

Jumping off spot to see the wild horses in Sand Wash Basin

It’s a small town park with sites on two sides. Most have power and some none. We stayed on the northern side away from the main road through town. Water is available as is a dump station but power only at the site.

We used it as a jumping off spot to tour the Sand Wash Basin and it was fine in that regard. No Verizon signal but library is near by and you can pick up WiFi there in a pinch. Only one store/gas station in town and no restaurant.

Breathtaking View of the Sand Dunes

We were driving up to Crested Butte and managed to snag a spot at Pinion Flats one night on the way up. It did not disappoint. There was a trail straight to the dunes from the campsite. The dunes were visible from the campsite and it was amazing. There were mountains behind the site and dunes in the front view. So beautiful. The campsite itself had plenty of space for me and my 4 friends and my dog. There was a grill ring and bench and also a bear box for food. Will say I got bit 2 times by fire ants at the site. Other than that, great location! We were at campsite 49.

The best place to spend 4th of July

This campground is great. My family and I stayed in the main part of the campground. Nice sites. Very friendly hosts. Clean bathrooms. Plenty of shade.

On top of world (almost)

This campground is in the Brainard Lake Recreation Area in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area in the Roosevelt National Forest. In any case, it’s a beautiful spot. Note It’s a pretty easy drive from Boulder, although the construction on the road up the canyon makes for a slow trip. Plus there can be a wait at the gate, which is regulated to make sure the parking areas don’t overflow. You can’t make reservations like up at Rocky Mountain NP. I’m sure it’s very crowded on weekends. Note that having a campground reservation doesn’t save you from waiting in line. We walked by Brainard Lake and then up around Long Lake, about 6 miles altogether. All pretty flat. There were lots of other people, but it didn’t seem overcrowded. Nearly everyone on the trail was wearing masks, or pulled them up as they passed others. The views are absolutely breathtaking, as was the altitude (10,600’).

Absolutely glorious no

This is a wonderful area to explore from Boulder, although the construction on the road up the canyon makes for a slow trip. Plus there can be a wait at the gate, which is regulated to make sure the parking areas don’t overflow. You can’t make reservations like up at Rocky Mountain NP. Here we arrived about 11 am and were directed to the Day Use Parking Area near the east end of Brainard Lake. I’m sure it’s more crowded on weekends. It worked fine for us. We walked by Brainard Lake and then up around Long Lake, about 6 miles altogether. There were lots of other people, but it didn’t seem overcrowded. Nearly everyone on the trail was wearing masks, or pulled them up as they passed others. The views are absolutely breathtaking, as was the altitude (10,600’). There’s also camping at Pawnee, but reservations are hard to come by, and having a reservation doesn’t save you from waiting in line.

Soap Creek!

Nice place to camp. Clean vault toilets, small campground, with limited space for large campers. If you’re an off grid type camper this will feel like the Hilton. Road in is long and a bit too rough for some RV’s. Camp hosts Wade and Tammy were so awesome. They give all campers a briefing on the rules and try by all means to save people money on fines that Park Rangers will no doubt issue of the rules are not followed. If you come to party and be rowdy, this isn’t the place for you. If you want good family time, and a chill environment, welcome, you’ve found a good spot.

One of the best campgrounds on the Front Range

This is one of the great campgrounds of the front range. At 8,000 feet A great small wakeless canoe and kayak lake. Most sites have electric.