The best camping in
Texas

Camping Texas

Nothing thrills the heart of a true explorer like the stunning diversity of outdoor adventure that awaits in the state of Texas! From the beauty of the Gulf Coast to the High Plains, Texas offers terrain that varies between mountains, woodlands, rolling hills, semi-arid plains and high desert. With more than 78 state parks and numerous wildlife areas, historic sites and natural attractions, Texas truly has something for everyone.

Insiders know that camping in Texas is much more than just hanging out around the campfire. In a state that boasts everything is bigger, natural features as well as wildlife areas are vast and rich, begging the weary traveler to indulge in all the sights and experiences this type of diversity provides. The variety of parks, campgrounds and backcountry offers the full range of adventure for those looking to ‘rough it’ all the way to those who choose to enjoy nature with a few more comforts.

South Central Texas is a prime area of the state to explore. Known far and wide as the Hill Country, it is so named for its rolling hills and woodlands. Famous for its excellent wineries, historic small towns and natural beauty, the Hill Country also boasts a unique offering for campers known as Enchanted Rock State Park.

Enchanted Rock is a large pink granite dome that rises 425 feet above the surrounding terrain and is the largest granite monadock in the United States. Indians, Spaniards and early settlers all had stories of magical, spiritual or unexplained happenings around the rock which gave the feature its name. These days, one of the most intriguing sights is at night, after a rain. The wet dome seems to glitter in the moonlight and while regarded as a simple play of light on the granite, the effect adds to both the mystery and enchantment of the area.

Another intriguing site in the Hill Country is Jacob’s Well, a short 78 miles southeast from Enchanted Rock State Park. Fed by a natural artesian spring, Jacob’s Well consists of a large pool connected to a vast underground cavern system that sprawls more than 4300 feet. The spring is connected to the Trinity Aquifer and emits thousands of gallons of water each day where visitors can enjoy the cool 68 degree water. Jacob’s Well is a popular and welcome retreat from the famous Texas heat!

Texas is the second largest state and for some, camping in Texas can, and does, turn into a life-long pursuit. With so many hidden gems, and areas to explore, it could take decades to experience it all. The Dyrt has you covered though! For the secret hideaways and must-see adventures in Texas, check back often to see the latest insider tips and places to explore!

Recent Reviews in Texas
Nice place

My parents stays here, long term six months of the year. Very nice looking and staff is professional and pleasant.

This is no longer a KOA. The RV park is called Midessa RV Park

This is a decent RV park there a lot of full timers here because of the oil industry but it is clean.

Thousand Trails

Love the location, so close to Dallas! This park is so quite and very dark at night! I loved that about this park, glad I arrived during the daylight it would be very difficult to find an RV spot at night! They have several full hookup sites closed right now due to some upgrades! The rest rooms were very clean! They have a good hiking trail! I had to walk about 1/2 mile to get to the water! It was so worth it! Got there just in time to go fishing while there were Sand Bass schooling! I ended up catching 15 and could have caught more but it was getting dark.

6 bucks for Water and Electric !!

Nice location with easy access. All the sites are $6 with water and Electric. They have a large shelter house and Amphitheater you can reserve with an additional fee of $25. The bathrooms could use a broom but they have nice hot showers.

Outdoor Camping

It was my first time camping with my girlfriend and I really enjoyed Inks Lake State Park!

Nice City RV Park

Spent an afternoon and evening here and met a friend whom lives locally. Lots of shade trees, level sites many right on the water. I found the water pressure too strong for my class b as the pressure caused a link under my sink. Convinced me to purchase my own water pressure resistor gauge.

Horrible conditions

We had called and made reservations and as we confirmed asked if a 40ft class A could fit. Well we got there and 1st of all it is so badly run down. Also the spot he wanted us to pull into was on grass and way too small. He said oh you can fit between those 2 trees. Omg I said absolutely not, you see how big our RV is and we would sink. No gravel even. Such a disappointment.

Good park

Good park. We had no issues at all. Easy hookups. We were in site E. It said by a pond but that was very small. Site was a little small but ok enough to navigate. Nice place and people there. We will return.

Quiet country setting

Friendly, helpful owners. Clean showers, reasonable rates. We love the quiet atmosphere. We will be returning.

Nice and clean

Concrete pads. Lots of room to park. Management was always nice. I heard rumors they didn't like kids but never saw that.

New owners

This place use to be bad but now the new owners are working hard to make things better. New concrete pads etc. Internet is slow but cable is free with receiver box. Management is cordial.

Beautiful Lake

Only 2 trails, one of which is lacking. But it makes up with beautiful lake views.

Good Experience

Make sure the water level is up, during my second visit to this park the water was low and not moving. The water was nasty in some spots due to stagnant water. However, beautiful when the water level is normal or up and Plenty of good hiking trails as well.

Top Quality Park!

Definitely a top 5 park of mine. Plenty of hiking and swiming. They have kayak and canoe rentals. They have a boat ramp and hundreds of campsites. Newly renovated bathrooms are also a nice touch.

Great Experience!

Plenty of good camping spots as well as great trails and a big beautiful lake.

Spacious sites

Park is spread out nicely. Park hosts around every corner. Great family park.

Convenient

Close to shopping. Full hook ups with trees galore. Quiet. Large coach accommodations with multiple pull thru sites. Large roadways allow easy access to the sites.

Enjoyable

Nice city walking trail nearby and the Paluxy River. Family oriented with pool Extra charge for pool usage. Restaurants in walking distance. Pull-thru accommodations for large coaches with Full Hook ups.

Very neat location.

Probably one of my favorite camp sites in big bend, was right on the river with plenty of wildlife to see. Saw a wild mare and her foal a few times which was pretty cool. The story of Johnson’s ranch is pretty cool too and while driving in you can see foundations of old buildings and a few marked graves here and there.

Pretty sketchy

When we first got to the camp site we realized just how remote it was. In the middle of the night a old beaten down sedan drove right up to our site and parked for a bit then drove off. Other than that is was a pretty good location.

Great Site

Has a variety of unique lodging , as well as tent sites. Owners are attentive and accommodating. I recommended the teepee.

Beautiful State Park

Spent an evening here recently this fall and the park didn’t disappoint. Very nice site with grill, fire pit and table surrounded by big oak trees and right on the lake. Lots of trails and fishing.

Pretty Nice

This recreation.gov campground was adequate for our needs. Most sites are shady, the outdoor tables we're sturdy, and there were fire pits and a separate cooking grill on a raised post. They parking pass we're decent asphalt. It is located on Lake Waco. There was some road noise from the highway. The toilet/shower house left a little to be desired. It wasn't as clean as it could have been. The women's showers had 2 stalls, one handicapped. The handicapped shower did not work. The other shower had a very difficult shower head to control the volume and direction of the spray. It was very cold the first morning and the shower building is not heated and had open screening at the top so showering was very eye opening! But the trees were beautiful with quite a few pecan trees. We would probably camp there again.

Wonderful Hike

One of the best short bike near the DFW area. Good for a day picnic lunch/BBQ there are many picnic table with a grill. Pretty cool overview you can see the whole park.

Beautiful Hidden Gem

I'm from Texas, and I've never thought, "Let's go to Mineral Wells!".  My daughter who lives in Ft. Worth suggested we go the Lake Mineral Wells State Park for a weekend camping get away.  We wanted to spend the weekend hiking and hanging out at our campsite.  This was the perfect combination.

We stayed on the Live Oak campground loop which has 30/50 amp/water.  We were lucky to snag the very last spot for the weekend.  Our site was right on the lake on a little 20 foot bluff that was perfect for watching the sunrise and drinking coffee each morning.  We spend our only full day hiking.  We visited the rock climbing area and also hiked to the primitive camping area.  The weather was perfect, blue bird skies and breezy mid-60's.

We felt very safe at this park.  The close the gate at 10 pm and you must have a code to enter after that.  The park host is also a ranger.  He and his wife were directly across from our site.  The whole park seems to be heavily patrolled.  Always a good feeling.  I would recommend camping here!

Great campground. Friendly camphost

Very clean and we'll maintained. Large v spaces.

Good rate but very tight.

Stay for one week. Rv's so close couldn't put out canopy. Parking was very very tight. Lots of very old rv's. Good rate but never could get cable to work. Loud train near by.

Lots of trees

Beautiful campground.  There are a few full hookups. There is a swim area and boat dock.  Some sites have double concrete, most just single.  Many of the sites are surrounded by trees and very private.

One Night Stop

Great place to stop. Very clean. Wifi and cable TV are perfect. All gravel level sites. Lots of space between sites. Easy on/off I10. Friendly staff. Cafe on site too. Will definitely come back.

Nice clean park not to far from Dallas..

We really enjoyed the park it is pretty wide and spread out on lake cooper. We stayed in the Brightstar area of the park and had a great time. The bathrooms were very clean and in good working order. Was a great getaway not to far outside of Dallas TX. We will come back for sure. Has a beach area for swimming in warmer weather and a dock and boat ramp if you take your boat.