The best camping in
Texas

2957 Reviews
Camping Texas

Nothing thrills the heart of a true explorer like the stunning diversity of outdoor adventure that awaits in the state of Texas! From the beauty of the Gulf Coast to the High Plains, Texas offers terrain that varies between mountains, woodlands, rolling hills, semi-arid plains and high desert. With more than 78 state parks and numerous wildlife areas, historic sites and natural attractions, Texas truly has something for everyone.

Insiders know that camping in Texas is much more than just hanging out around the campfire. In a state that boasts everything is bigger, natural features as well as wildlife areas are vast and rich, begging the weary traveler to indulge in all the sights and experiences this type of diversity provides. The variety of parks, campgrounds and backcountry offers the full range of adventure for those looking to ‘rough it’ all the way to those who choose to enjoy nature with a few more comforts.

South Central Texas is a prime area of the state to explore. Known far and wide as the Hill Country, it is so named for its rolling hills and woodlands. Famous for its excellent wineries, historic small towns and natural beauty, the Hill Country also boasts a unique offering for campers known as Enchanted Rock State Park.

Enchanted Rock is a large pink granite dome that rises 425 feet above the surrounding terrain and is the largest granite monadock in the United States. Indians, Spaniards and early settlers all had stories of magical, spiritual or unexplained happenings around the rock which gave the feature its name. These days, one of the most intriguing sights is at night, after a rain. The wet dome seems to glitter in the moonlight and while regarded as a simple play of light on the granite, the effect adds to both the mystery and enchantment of the area.

Another intriguing site in the Hill Country is Jacob’s Well, a short 78 miles southeast from Enchanted Rock State Park. Fed by a natural artesian spring, Jacob’s Well consists of a large pool connected to a vast underground cavern system that sprawls more than 4300 feet. The spring is connected to the Trinity Aquifer and emits thousands of gallons of water each day where visitors can enjoy the cool 68 degree water. Jacob’s Well is a popular and welcome retreat from the famous Texas heat!

Texas is the second largest state and for some, camping in Texas can, and does, turn into a life-long pursuit. With so many hidden gems, and areas to explore, it could take decades to experience it all. The Dyrt has you covered though! For the secret hideaways and must-see adventures in Texas, check back often to see the latest insider tips and places to explore!

Recent Reviews in Texas
Rude employees

et me start this by saying that the park is beautiful but the reason we will not be returning and we will pay to go elsewhere is a particular employee. She is an older lady with chin length gray hair who was so unbelievably rude to us!!! We had already been staying at the park for a day and had our car tagged. We had left for the day and when we came back, the gate was open. We stopped at the stop sign and looked inside and no one was there and we went through the gate and next thing we hear a woman screaming at us and when we backed up and started rolling down the window, she literally yelled for my husband to put on a mask, which he did with no problem and then she yelled this is a federal park and you can’t just come in and my husband nicely said “yes ma’am we have a reservation” and he pointed at our car tag and she rudely goes well I didn’t see it and there is a stop sign for a reason and my husband says well the gate was up and I did stop at the stop sign and we looked in and no one was there and she rudely goes “well the gate is broken and I was washing my hands” and then storms off. Not once was my husband rude to this lady. If your gate is broke and you want people to do more than just stop at your stop sign and you want them to wait to be waved in, then put a sign. There are a ton of other handwritten signs at the gate house. There was no reason for us to be treated that way. I’m so very disappointed in this place.

Words Can’t Describe.

They had only one site available. It was going to cost $80 for the weekend. It looked like a nice one, but we had to jump a curb to back in which meant we had to keep an eye on our jacks. Then while backing in a wire was hanging to low. Lucky for us it went over the air conditioner. We decided we couldn’t get in the spot they gave us. We had to climb up and pull the wire over our camper before we could pull forward. We got our money back and found another campground. Definitely would not recommend this campground at all. In their ads they didn’t want any old campers only nice ones, but they can’t accommodate the new campers. The pictures are not a true statement.

9/12/20 Camping

We stayed at electric campsite 003, it was great!

• drive in/parking spot for 2 large trucks
  • covered cements tables at each site
  • all within walking distance to facilities
  • facilities were cleaned daily, restrooms and showers
  • park rangers drove through 3/4 times a day
  • weather at this time is pretty hot, but tolerable in the shade
  • recent rains made swimming possible, lots of small rivers and places to fish/sight see
  • campsites are spaced out but there is few trees so no privacy
  • small campground, probably only 24 or so electric sites available
  • we use a rooftop tent on our truck but our friends used a ground tent
Best place near Dallas

This is the best place to camp in the immediate Dallas area - nice lake with beach and we’ll kept sites. There are nice group sites in the primitive areas that are more wooded and we like.

Awesome bike trails - nice for day or car camping

Great easy spot for day camping or easy car camping with family. Good fire pits and great pavilion at the group site if you can get it.

Best mountain bike single tracks around with lots of built features

Great for something close by

Nothing to knock you socks off, but it’s a great campsite close to home and nice for a quick getaway. Has the feel of being somewhat remote since it’s out by the lake.

We’ve camped in the site with the horse stables and put the tents with questionable rain flys in the horse stable.

Great for rest, near the highways.

It's just our first day and so far it's been a great experience

Great stop

This is a great place to stop and see the sights in the area. I had a reservation and asked to come in one day early. They said fine. Have a wide level concrete pad with full hookups. There is some cable tv cable there but we didn’t hook it up. You can have a choice of shade under large pecan trees or wide open sites. Mngmt is very accommodating. Only reason I did not give a 5 star is because on the route into the park there is a large pecan tree that dragged across the top of my rv. The branches were not big ones. I followed gps directions in here which got me here but were not the absolute best way in. Turn off of hwy 190 onto cr 104 will save you from crossing a very uneven railroad track crossing. We turned off of hwy 190 into cr 102. We are staying in a 43’ class A RV. I highly recommend this place. It is in a beautiful golf course. Cost was $30/ night.

Nice well kept spot

Stayed one night. Grounds are well kept. Staff very helpful. Level gravel parking spots with full utilities. Ours was pull through. 3 fenced dog areas. They are small but fine. Since during Covid did not use facilities so can’t report on them. Fairly large park so can walk dogs around on leash. Not a ton of grass but sufficient. Near interstate so some noise but not terrible. Also heard a train. Overall nice spot to stay.

Basic necessity for overnight

Place not too bad. Really is just a big parking lot. Parking spots are level and have full hookups. Very nice dog park next door. Eileen helped me on phone. Was very nice. Her number is 817-609-9509. Good for an overnight stop. Near Lockheed Airforce Base so planes flying over.