THE BEST CAMPING IN
Texas

Nothing thrills the heart of a true explorer like the stunning diversity of outdoor adventure that awaits in the state of Texas! From the beauty of the Gulf Coast to the High Plains, Texas offers terrain that varies between mountains, woodlands, rolling hills, semi-arid plains and high desert. With more than 78 state parks and numerous wildlife areas, historic sites and natural attractions, Texas truly has something for everyone.

Insiders know that camping in Texas is much more than just hanging out around the campfire. In a state that boasts everything is bigger, natural features as well as wildlife areas are vast and rich, begging the weary traveler to indulge in all the sights and experiences this type of diversity provides. The variety of parks, campgrounds and backcountry offers the full range of adventure for those looking to ‘rough it’ all the way to those who choose to enjoy nature with a few more comforts.

South Central Texas is a prime area of the state to explore. Known far and wide as the Hill Country, it is so named for its rolling hills and woodlands. Famous for its excellent wineries, historic small towns and natural beauty, the Hill Country also boasts a unique offering for campers known as Enchanted Rock State Park.

Enchanted Rock is a large pink granite dome that rises 425 feet above the surrounding terrain and is the largest granite monadock in the United States. Indians, Spaniards and early settlers all had stories of magical, spiritual or unexplained happenings around the rock which gave the feature its name. These days, one of the most intriguing sights is at night, after a rain. The wet dome seems to glitter in the moonlight and while regarded as a simple play of light on the granite, the effect adds to both the mystery and enchantment of the area.

Another intriguing site in the Hill Country is Jacob’s Well, a short 78 miles southeast from Enchanted Rock State Park. Fed by a natural artesian spring, Jacob’s Well consists of a large pool connected to a vast underground cavern system that sprawls more than 4300 feet. The spring is connected to the Trinity Aquifer and emits thousands of gallons of water each day where visitors can enjoy the cool 68 degree water. Jacob’s Well is a popular and welcome retreat from the famous Texas heat!

Texas is the second largest state and for some, camping in Texas can, and does, turn into a life-long pursuit. With so many hidden gems, and areas to explore, it could take decades to experience it all. The Dyrt has you covered though! For the secret hideaways and must-see adventures in Texas, check back often to see the latest insider tips and places to explore!

Recent Reviews in Texas
Good stop for overnight

Was connected with a mobile home park. Was very nice for the over night stay.  Had a great laundry and store. I would go back again.

Not bad for a stop over

Was a nice place for a stop over the best places seem to be taken up with long termers. The lake was small the people nice. Of course there was a train around but by this time didn't notice much.  We came after a great big rain so there was a lot of puddles but it was not bad, the sites were muddy and so was the grass.

Chill

Clean and huge campground. Campsite was really nice, 1 min to the river! But it’s far from everything, I don’t know if a detour it’s worth it…

Nice improved cg

Lots of spaces both with and without hookups. All sites have water. Plenty of trees for hammocks. Free showers, hiking trails, fishing at the lake across the road. Pool available as well.

Beach camping

600 sites but you better book early. This park is being renovated so expect construction. Lots of beach to walk, pavilions, showers and a jetty to fish off of.  Besides the campground, you can also go to the north end of town, access the beach and camp right in the Gulf.

Great under rated, less known park with good camping

Two night stay with the family at this hidden gem. Small State Park with good amenities and unusual and rare vegetation. Good hiking trails. Kids loved fishing, biking and swimming in the small lake.

RVing and fishing close to home

Great environment. Gma, Daughter and 3 grandson. Close enought to go home and take care of livestock and go back for fun times. Fishing, riding a Trikke and playing family games in the evening.

Very Rustic

I like this site and recommend it all the time.

Small loop for tent camping. Water at each site and 1 bathroom for area.

We LOVE MW State Park!  The lake is awesome and great for fishing and kayaking.  We stayed at the Post Oak Campground over Valentine's Weekend 2019.  The campsites are really nice and include water, fire ring, picnic table, grill, parking for 2 vehicles, lots of trees.  Campsites on the south side of the loop back up to the lake.  There is a bathroom (no showers) at one end.  Showers are available at other campgrounds within the park.  We tucked our tent into the trees and had a very nice time.  The first night, we did hear coyotes chattering super close to our tent.  There are many trails to hike and several to ride bikes or horses on.  Staff at the park are great!  The only negative:  The Boy Scouts love this campground!  Late into our first night, 4 Boy Scout troops rolled in.  We were awakened the next morning to lots of kids yelling and 1 even playing a bugle.  By the end of the weekend, we knew all the kids names just from hearing them yell to each other.

Awesome!

Great campground. One of my favorites that I have been to! Beautiful view surrounded by the Chisos Mountains. Definitely recommend trying to get a campsite with a canopy top for shade, ours did not have one and we were very jealous of everyone else that did. It does get windy from time to time but it’s all part of the experience when camping! Bathrooms have plumbing, running water, and outlets. Drinking water is also available at a few spots around the campsite. If you are looking to hike you are very close to a few trailheads. The mountain lodge, the store, and visitor center is all about 3 minute drive or 20 or so minute walk up.

One With Nature

We love coming out here. It’s a gorgeous view. The water is crystal clear and it’s a great place to be one with nature. The only thing that I don’t like are the bathrooms which are pretty close to an outhouse which some people don’t have a problem but I guess I’m picky .

Fantastic campground

This is the best campground around. Great campsites. Lots to do. Great store. Cabins! The Frio is the best.

Mother Nature at her best!!

First let me just say, it’s hard to believe this gem is still hidden. The view of the lake is breathtaking, I love going in the Spring and fall. Between the deer and the birds it’s something to see and experience. Now the breezes do kick up but this is in the highlands and it’s to be expected. They have potable water and showers. The staff are really friendly and the rangers patrol regularly. Yes it’s free there’s a 14 day limit and you’ll be close to town for supplies. You will love it!!

Locked in with no water.

I arrived at Franklin Mountain SP about 4:30. I was told the park was about to close. I asked if camping was available and was told, " yes but I'll be leaving soon". No mention of locking the gate or no water.

I went in and found an almost empty CG. I think there was only one tent located a couple of hundred yards away. I went to the restroom and found no water. Checked another and found the same. I then went back to the entrance kiosk expecting to find water there, but it was empty and closed. I decided to stay since I had about 2 quarts with me.

Great sunset. I heard traffic noise from the highway most of the night, but overall it way a plesant stay. I woke up early to the sound of sirens, mst have been a crash on the highway. Made coffee and loaded up the bike to go into El Paso for breakfast. I then found the entrance gate closed and locked. It would have been a miserable night had I been without water.

Lake side camping at its best

Beautiful site overlooking the lake. My only wish would have been cleaner bathrooms.

All around beautiful

Spent 2 nights and 3 days in the canyon with my dog. It was during the week and I wasn’t allowed to do a two night and had to move camp sites which was annoying and why I took off a star. Besides that great stay and great hikes with scenic views.

Nice place.

Stayed here many days!

family fun

I've been camping here plenty of times as a kid growing up in Cedar Hill, TX. My family and I would camp in the spring, early/late summer, and fall months. Plenty of sites have a campfire grill and picnic table along with electrical outlets. Good camping sites for "glampers" who have to have Internet access and electronic use. Finding/reserving a campsite is super easy at the welcome center where you pay an entrance fee to the park. Plenty of lake to share with other people at this state park. My brother would go fishing at the smaller ponds here. At some campsites, you can here the traffic passing by on FM 1382, but if you can sleep through that noise, you'll be fine. Plenty of hiking/biking trails as well. Great to bring pets. Bathrooms are available as well near many of the campgrounds.

Colima 2 for the win!

Colima 2 is a primitive campsite in the Chisos Basin in Big Bend National Park on the Colima Trail. My boyfriend and I backpacked to the campsite from the Chisos Basin trail head down Pinnacles trail to Boot Canyon. The Northeast Rim trail was closed at the time due to respecting space for the peregrine falcons and their nests. The night before, we camped in the Rio Grande campground which wasn't secluded enough for us, so we decided to reserve this campground at the Chisos Basin Visitor Center the next morning. Camp was super easy to set up here. There was a bear box included and plenty of flat ground for easily tent setup. There was PLENTY of tree coverage which was nice because it got hot out in the afternoons under the sun. We chose this campsite because we wanted to hike the South Rim on the same day. We offloaded some weight from our backpacking packs after setting up camp in the mid afternoon, got to hike the South Rim for the remaining hours of daylight, and enjoyed dinner back at Colima 2. The next day, we hiked back to the Chisos Basin trail head on the Laguna Meadows trail. Colima 2 offered the seclusion from other campgrounds we were wanting, and it's definitely on our radar when we return to Big Bend National Park.

somewhat crowded developed campground

Plenty of campsites here in the Rio Grande Village. Easiest way to pay is with cash, and you just reserve your campsite at the self-pay station. We payed with a card at the Rio Grande visitor's center (closed in the summers). If you don't mind other people being close to you, this is the campsite for you. My boyfriend and I camped here for one of the nights we stayed in Big Bend. We wanted a more secluded spot which you can find further back in areas of campsites available, but it's first come, first serve style here. Bear boxes are provided at each campsite. The campsites further back have better shade, but we were able to find some trees to set up under. The only thing we didn't like about the campsite was the proximity to people using generators. They have a separate area for RVs, but some people brought their campers. The generators were somewhat loud, but we were able to sleep through the noise. We definitely prefer more natural campsites, but this one was fine for what we needed that night. Not too far of a drive from the Hot Springs trail either.

Simple, quiet park

Park is city run and split into two sections by a highway. Beautiful butterfly and nature garden, kid playground, camping and river access on one side. The other has hiking and biking trails along with camping. Multiple cabins and group camping areas on both sides.

Beautiful State Park

There are RV pads and sites or campers can choose to hike in to a primitive camping location. The hike into Wolf Mountain Trail for camping is about 2 miles with a couple creek crossings. This is a very popular area of the park, lots of people bring their dogs and a vaulted toilet is located close by. Absolutely beautiful place to explore and hike.

Good service

I enjoyed the owner of this park.. he was friendly and very conversational

Sandy

The desert isn’t that bad

Quiet. Good fishing

Grounds need work. Nice fishing spot out of the way.

Lovely park

Nice park. Spots are fairly close together with tent and RV spots near each other. Clean bathrooms and nice lakefront view. The coverings over the tables are thick wood and very large on a concrete pad. Grill with firepit and grill grates on top.

Beautiful State Park

We stayed here for 2 nights in early May 2019. We stayed in the Hackberry campground. The park was completely full, and we grabbed the last spot 30 ft spot available. This park is beautiful, and I can see where it gets it name “ The Grand Canyon of Texas”. They had some rain recently when we there so everything was green and beautiful against the canyon walls. We didn’t have much time since we were only able to stay two nights, but I feel we were able to explore enough in those two days. I would recommend doing to the hike to Lighthouse Rock. 2.7 miles one-way and then when you get there, it’s about another .4 hike up to the area where you can see it. I would also recommend you go to the Big Cave. Very short walk for that and neat. The park has a 10% grade and all campgrounds are at the bottom of the canyon. We had no trouble in our 30 ft travel trailer with our Ram 2500. The visitor center had a disappointing selection of souvenirs but go there for the view. We stayed on site #2 in Hackberry which was 30 ft long. We had no trouble getting in and had enough room to park the truck in front of the trailer (at an angle). Site was level as well. We had no cell service at all without a booster. With a booster, we had no Verizon, but enough AT&T to use internet. We were even able to stream Game of Thrones one evening. The park was quiet at night. I would have liked to have stayed maybe one more night to explore more, but two days worked for us. Nothing around the park as far as services, so bring what you need. There is a store at the park that has a few essentials at a high cost. Overall, I was a great stay and we would stay again. $24 price reflects camping only. There is also a $8/person day use fee if you do not have a Texas State Park pass.

Beautiful, spacious state park

We stayed here for 4 nights in early May 2019. We stayed in the Red Arroyo Campground at the South entrance of the park. The best thing about this park is the amount of space between spots. Plenty of space between you and your neighbors. The park is beautiful and very quiet. When we were there the wildflowers were in full bloom. Spots are water and electric only, but there is a dump onsite. We had spot #13 and it was steep, but we were able to tuck our 30ft trailer at the bottom where it leveled out. No levelers required. The park has many trails for hiking and biking. Some of the trails were a bit muddy, but they had recently had rain. Cell phone service was good. We were able to get internet through the hotspot. Overall, it was a nice stay and we would stay here again. $20 price reflects camping fee only. Day use fee is $4 per person if you do not have a Texas State Park Pass.

Nice

We tented here on a rainy weekend unfortunately. It was a nice site right near the water, and we saw a lot of wildlife like an armadillo, raccoon, and deer. We got out for a little bit to go for a walk and went to some of the trails which were scenic but super buggy. Bring spray and citronella candles!