Glacier National Park, MONTANA

Camping Montana Glacier National Park

Most Recent Glacier National Park Camping Reviews
Cyclists dream, great for all

We’ve stayed here twice (my husband 3 times) and it gets better every time!

The people are always kind, the views are incredible and the cyclist/walk in sites keep improving!

The last time we cycled and stayed here, the benches had over hangs on them for coverage and outlets in them!

I highly recommend for cyclists and families.

Quiet and low key

Compared to other campgrounds in Glacier, Two Med is quiet and low key. Definitely more of a chill vibe, read: no one here was partying loudly. We stayed in a reserved site that is designated back country as we finished a back country trip with the last night at Two Medicine, where we parked our car. Many people who use this site are not on a loop, but on the many are on the CDT and use this as a great place to bathe (the lake) and see a few humans. This site is tent only, designated with wood pilings and has small rocks/sand as the floor - it was very hard as no rain lately and difficult to get in tent stakes. It fits a large tent - maybe 12'? We used our car as our 'bear box', be very bear aware here and use clean camping. Black and Brown bears can frequent the area. Bathrooms clean, no showers (but there is that nice lake!) The boat ride across the lake is worth it for the commentary and views, make advance reservations.

Small sites but good location

We were in site # F35 with water & electric. The sites are small but woodsy,  we had a little privacy & the campground wasn't busy.  We had 15 TV channels for the first time in months. This campground is close to Glacier National park maybe a 10 minute drive. There is a little sitting room with a library of books & videos and Wifi.

Huckleberrys are so good and know to this area. We bought fresh ones and made pancakes with some & check out the Huckleberry icecream.

There's a little place to eat in the campground & a good little Taco place across the street.

Glacier Distillery is up the road & has good spirits, did a sipping sample & yes bout some great stuff.

Glacier National park is beautiful we spent 3 or 4 days in the park couldn't get enough. Logans pass was beautiful, going to the sun road, Many glacier & more. We saw black bear, grizzlies, Mountain goats, and lots more. The road going into Many Glacier was so bad take it slow. That's where an old lodge is, and you can walk around the lake. We saw Grizzlies up on the hill side where we parked at the swift current trail. There are people that hike to the Glacier from this lot it's a long hike to do that.

Logan's Pass the trail from behind the visitor center is a little ways to Hidden Lake where we saw Mountain goats close up. Beautiful wildflowers, little water falls and breathtaking views.

We hiked to Avalanche lake and saw deer, an Eagle & Black bear swimming and walking the shoreline coming our way.

There are so many nice view point you can pull off & take it all in.

We went to a antique place back towards Spokane out in the middle of nowhere. Such a neat place each themed building had different items. There was another one close to there that's a house with a store and it had some great things too.

We so enjoyed this area met great people & relaxed on a few lakes & fished in the park.

A GNP Favorite for Us!

Avalanche Campground is our favorite Glacier National Park west side campground in the main area of the park….but it is large with 87 sites and because it is first come first serve which we love, you might have to stalk a campsite that you see packing up to score a site.  It fills up early so do not delay (we have learned this lesson on a trip before).  On our most recent visit we arrived on a Friday morning in July at 8:30 am and found a site but the campground filled up within the hour!  Our site on this visit was a nice pull through site which gave us room to drop the camper and drive around the park. This location in the park is a great basecamp for a drive over the Going to the Sun Road and the trailhead to Avalanche Lake is right at the campground and is a lovely hike! The hike is an easy 4.5 miles roundtrip to a beautiful lake. Leave early as either outing gets really busy!   My pictures are from 2 different visits.

One of my favorite camping trips of all time!

Gorgeous views, and a fox even visited our campground! There are actual bathrooms at this campground, with sinks and running water. Our site had a picnic table and a fire pit. We tent camped while we were here (August), and this was one of the few campgrounds which would allow it, as bears had been spotted in a few of the other campgrounds recently. There was a general store nearby, which sold firewood and basic food items, along with the typical kitschy souvenirs. I can’t wait to visit again!

Best of Glacier

This is a back country site and must be reserved in advance. There are 4 tent sites here, all level and sanded for ease. Clean camping - pack it in and pack it out. Communal cooking site, bear hang set up provided, bring your own rope. Latrine is not new but not bad, bring TP. Water filtration needed, short downhill walk to lake to get water. Be very bear aware here.

Breathtaking

This back country site requires advance reservations. There are four campsites, one communal latrine which was brand new in 2019, pack your own toilet paper. There is a communal cooking site with a bear box for food storage, use it. Moose frequent this area, we had 3  IN THE CAMP on two different days, they are a little aggressive, too. All four sites are nice, the two in the back are more private, all are level and easy to tent. No cell service. Pack it in - Pack it out. Bring water filtration. The lake is beautiful, quiet and peaceful. Worth it to day hike here, too.

Serene Back Country

This back country site must be reserved in advance. There are 4 designated tent sites, one pit latrine with no toilet paper (you need to pack your own) and a communal cooking site. Everything is very clean here and well maintained. Please use back country smarts, clean cooking and clean camping to protect all wildlife, and yourself. No open fires. On arrival to the lake, we were the first and could not choose a bad site of the 4, all beautiful in trees near the lake. As we approached, we saw a cow moose swimming across the lake! What luck! Then, inside of 10 minutes, a bull moose starting swimming the other direction, and ANOTHER bull moose swam AT THE SAME TIME! It was a sight to behold. Later in the day, we too, took a chilly dip in the lake. One moose walked through camp in the middle of the night, we laid quiet as to not scare it. Fun evening hike up to snowfields to the south. Early morning spotting of mountain goats up high, doing their thing. Early August, bugs not bad. This was the first night of a back country trip for us, we left Two Medicine via boat ride and hiked in with our two children.

Loud but has trees.

We were roasting in the throws of Hades down at St. Mary's campground so decided to get up early and get a FCFS spot at Rising Sun, as none are reserveable (pre-covid). This campground is has trees and shade.  I arrived at 6:50am, and the car line to get on a list to put your name on a camp list with a ranger was 17 deep. They took 10 each time and assigned a spot. I waited about 90 minutes in said car line. Ranger gave a great 'bear aware' and camp cleanliness talk to the group before releasing to find assigned site. This campground is way too close for me, neighbors at every turn. Two sites over held 40 people having a GREAT time, and I would have a great time if I knew them, but since I didn't and they were drinking and smoking and laughing until 1am, I can't say they were fun. Then at 2am, four college kids next to us returned, whisper yelling not to vomit, but of course did. And I then laid awake the rest of the night worrying the vomit would attract the resident bear near our tent and my small children. Learning my lesson again, I'll avoid campgrounds and stick to the back country. Bathroom was clean, no shower. About 7 phones charging in the loo. Buy your firewood where you burn it, don't transport wood anywhere.

HOT. Blazing. Did I say Hot?

We stayed at St. Mary's for 1 night, then got up early the next day and found a spot with a tree at Rising sun. Many of the tent sites at St. Mary's are out in the OPEN prairie and so very blazing hot in July and August. Remember the sun doesn't set up here until 10pm. Our neighbors washed dishes IN THE fresh water spout, DON'T DO THIS, gross and you might kill me. I also saw people washing in the RV dump room, DON'T DO THIS, gross and you might kill yourself. Showers were hot and pretty clean. Camp hosts were super kind and helpful. Be sure to eat at Johnson's of St. Mary's. Fried Chicken and Good Soup are AMAZING after a 10 mi hike. I don't have a picture because I was so miserable roasting in the throws of Hades.