Glacier National Park, MONTANA

Camping Montana Glacier National Park

Most Recent Glacier National Park Camping Reviews
First timer

If you’re looking for absolute primitive camping, this is your spot! Down by the water, some campfire rings are already built for you out of the rock! I used the drift wood that was washed up to have a fire for myself. Was plenty around. Was quiet at night, but when I arrived around 6-7, it was pretty crowded. Ended up camping on rocks in a tent because all of the good spots were taken. Thankfully I had a blow up pad with me, but still wasn’t comfortable. So, I recommend getting there a little early. Short little trail to drive back, lots of dips and holes! Be careful with a car that sits low to the ground for sure.

If you love a night out away from everything, check it out! Sit by the fire, relax and enjoy the beautiful night sky above you!!! Can’t wait to go back!!

Summercamp Bliss

I am so in love with this campground. As someone who has stayed inside and outside of many national parks, I have never found a steal of a deal like this. For $30 bucks you get access to clean water, dishwashing stations, unlimited hot water showers, flush toilets, fire pits, trash service once a day, cell service (and I have Sprint… if  I can get service, you probably will lol), wifi (at the front office), amazing customer service, a cute cafe in the summer season, and the list goes on. They even have huge piles of wood for only $6. usually at places right by national parks, wood goes for 8-10 bucks per pile or box. I haven't found wood cheaper nearby. this camp is Off of the highway so little to no road noise.

It truly feels like you are at summercamp, and even though it is literally only one mile from the park entrance, it does not have that bizarrely ignorant and touristy vibe that most major campgrounds inside national parks has.

I am here in September. The smoke over Glacier NP is terrible and I have not seen even an inch of a single mountain, that is how bad it is. That being said, I am so in love with the campground, I already paid to stay another night. That is how good it is.

Cons:

The sites are close together, you will hear your neighbor. There is not a lot of privacy, but the trees are dense and it didn't feel like I was on top of my neighbor or anything.

There is a train that goes by… frequently. I personally do not mind this as my home and workplace back home are both on a train route and I am used to the sound. I even find it quite comforting. But, I can see how this would bother some people. It is loud and frequent, but I can't really see it being much better at any other nearby campground so that is a general area con, not one specific to this campground.

Glacier Rim DC!!!

So there isn’t a spot marked in Dyrt for where we stayed but it’s quite close to Middle Fork so I’ll leave my review here. If you go about 4 miles north on N Fork rd, Glacier Rim will be on your right. It wasn’t nearly as busy as Middle Fork was. We checked Middle fork first and everyone was on top of each other and the road was rough getting down to. Glacier Rim? A night and day different and we got service!!

We were able to park on the beach, right on the flathead river and watch the rafters go by. We met some awesome locals who shared our fire with us on our last night. We only stayed two days because the air quality became hazardous due to the west coast fires, cutting our glacier trip short. But, at this spot, you can take Blankenship road right to the West Glacier entrance.

Great Place to Stay

This KOA is pretty nice. They have a 2 pools (which, though heated, is super cold), a hot tub (but it’s adult only, so if you have kids that cannot be alone, it’s a no go), and a nature trail (which is not very naturey and is super short [but glacier is not far away]). They do have many great things though: an excellent distance from Glacier and Kalispell, a dog park, and great spots to stay at (depending on where your cabin/spot is located). I would definitely recommend coming here if you need somewhere to stay or get away!

Free, primitive, beautiful views on the river

This is not painless getting down to. Once you cross the bridge you take your first left. No sign. It is very rough getting in. We went slow in a crossover SUV (we were in a tent). People were there with R.V.s, and even sedans, but be prepared. When you finally see the park sign at the fork, stay left and take the left driveway if you have a car, straight with a pick-up or R.V. pick a spot on the rocks by the river, sand along the river, or use the road access about 3/4 of the way down on your right for a spot in the grasses and woods. Fire pits everywhere. Two portable restrooms down the dirt road. Otherwise no services. We did get cell service. The sky was gorgeous! The people all around were friendly and quiet. I would advise getting there early and staking your space. You want to set up when it’s light. We would stay again for sure!

Great sky view at night

There is no sugar coating it, the road to this site is horrendous. It’s so bumpy but doable. Once there we found a site that is in the wide open. We loved the river and the night sky. It is quiet enough so we loved that.

On the drive in I ran over an Allen wrench which gave me a flat. Another camper, a local, helped me out with some equipment that made it easy to fix. The people in this area are great and Doug and his daughter Hope made this stay a lot easier.

Nice little campground for rvs and tents.

Place is very clean with nice shade. Facilities are clean and manager is very nice. I recomm this place for anyone. Close to Glacier National Park.

Awesome

The other reviews here are accurate. Access road is ok when dry, otherwise 4wd is probably required. Spacious area for all types of camping, tents, schoolies, Sprinters, cars. Great river side location. Friendly people.

Closed for camping beginning 09/07/2020 for season

According to nps.gov no more camping this season.

1 mile from glacier entrance

Great place tucked away from the road. Sites are smaller. Place was clear even the showers. Hot water in the morning not so much at night. If you plan to spend the days in the park this is great spot. Grocery store in 8-10 min drive west into town.