Apostle Islands National Lakeshore , WISCONSIN

Camping Wisconsin Apostle Islands National Lakeshore

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Camping Reviews

I only stayed for one night but it was incredible! The waterfalls are remarkable. Stay for more than one night because there is so much to do.

Waterfalls & the porkies

Good base camp for exploring the porkies and the nearby waterfalls of the black river

Beautiful park, well-maintained campsites

My friend and I went camping here from October 19th-21st (which happened to be during an unseasonable cold snap- I'm talking 20 degrees at night with a bit of snow, but that's neither here nor there). The first night we lucked out and though it was cold, there was virtually no wind.

We chose one of the campsites nearest to the parking lot since we had a lot of cold weather gear to lug and my friend was new to camping. Even though it was close to the lot and there weren't really leaves on the trees anymore to offer privacy, the park was quiet and we only heard people when they would walk directly past our campsite.

The proximity to Lake Superior and the view was absolutely gorgeous. We gasped when we got to the site because it was so beautiful! In combination with how quiet it was, it really made for a worthwhile stay.

The tent pad was flat and covered with woodchips. Tent pad was elevated, with a wooden bench built in. The site was cart-in, which made loading in and out a breeze. Going uphill to the parking lot was a bit of a pain, but it was a short enough distance that it was just fine. There was a sizeable metal bear box for food. The vault toilet was a short jaunt up the hill and had plenty of toilet paper in stock.

Because it was off-season, the campground building with flush toilets/showers was closed, and there was no running water for the campground. (During the regular season, water is close by at the parking lot.) There was water available on the side of the Trail Center Picnic Shelter.

I am looking forward to returning to camp here in a bit warmer weather!

First Backpack Trip

Came here for my first Backpack one nighter. I stayed at site #3 in early June 2020. The sound and sights of the river was mesmerizing. Mosquitoes were the worst in the parking lot but tamed once I got moving and applied some spray. The walk in was a little confusing and I took the wrong right turn but it was easy to get back to the main path then get back on track. Rugged terrain with rocks and roots, ups and downs, and so beautiful!! The smell of hemlocks was so lovely and the wildflowers made me swoon. Logs were set around a fire ring. There was no bear locker and I had to hang my bag. The primitive toilet was a little walk and closer to the next backpack site (#4). I believe there was a pit toilet in the parking lot as well.

Lucky!

Not sure how it happened but mid-August I scored cart in spot 46 in the lower campground, right on Lake Superior!! The carts appeared newly updated and rode well. The walk from car to site was short. It's up on a little "cliff" but getting to the shore is accessible, though somewhat steep. There was a pit toilet a short walk away. No trees present that would make a hammock tenting possible.

Right on the lake

As long as it’s July or early August , it will be beautiful here. Watch out for the wind coming off the lake any other time!

Bayfield county park

Small campground managed the same as the campground at twin bear. Showers must be something new, they were not here previously but I see them listed on the website. Pretty quiet, nice lake. Tons of bugs as some of the sites are next to “swampy” areas. Close to other nicer lakes and national forest

One of the most beautiful and exotic places to stay

Well this is so beautiful and exotic.  It is on Lake Superior but it is up high, so there are beautiful views.

In the evenings, we followed the trails to the Harbor and caught a gorgeous sunset.

The campground has adequate bathrooms.

The sites have sone privacy but not a ton.

Gorgeous place to stay that is near all the waterfalls in the recreation area.

Great Campsite

Gooseberry was very quiet on the camping front but maybe that’s due to the high temp being 35°. Though it was cold, we enjoyed the campsite and used a lot of state park approved firewood!

Gooseberry is a beautiful park with some great hikes and even better views. The great thing about camping at Gooseberry is that you have easy access to Split Rock State Park and Tettegouche State Park just to name a few. These are so accessible if you’re camping at Gooseberry.

The site included:

• Long parking spot for a truck w/ a trailer, Winnebago, or sprinter van.

• Large mulch tent pad

• Wooden picnic table

• Tall fire ring (probably 18" tall) with a swiveling grill for cooking

Note: Bathrooms did have toilet paper and were cleaned daily but our’s did not have hand sanitizer.

Camping on an Island

This 2,350-acre campground was well-maintained and is located on Madeline Island (the largest Apostle Island) on Lake Superior.

You need to take a ferry to get there and I took Madeline Ferry and it was easy even with an RV.

Big Bay State Park does not allow dogs (pets) on the 1.5-mile long beach which was disappointing, however, there was another campground (Big Bay Town Park) on the Island that had a fabulous pet-friendly beach so I spent time there.

There are several hiking trails and Big View Trail was scenic along Lake Superior.

Big Bay State Park experience video: