the dyrt
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, WISCONSIN
Most Recent Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Camping Reviews
Campsite #6

Pet-friendly. Site can be reserved. Shore access & trail access to many waterfalls within a short walking distance.

Wonderful family atmosphere

This campground was clean and well kept. The owners were very friendly and worked hard to meet the camping needs of our family which included nine adults and seven children. The showers and bathrooms were clean. The playground had enough equipment to keep our children busy with plenty to do while we prepared meals.

Lambs resort sits on beautiful Lake Superior. We walked the lakeshore and walked up and swam in the river edging Lambs resort. My only hesitation about writing this review is Lambs resort might become to popular.

Great day visit

Another place to have some great hiking. The views we're fantastic and the trails well maintained.

Great MN state park

I wish we had a longer weekend to enjoy the park. Between all the great hiking trails waterfalls and lake Superior there is something for any outdoor enthusiast. Lots of ups and downs. One trail we counted 595 stairs one way.

Lovely waterside campground

Each site at the cart-in campground was secluded from view from the others. Mine was right along the water with a path down to a small beach and rock outcrop, nice for sitting and watching the water. The one downside was that the road is so close you can hear cars going by at night. Traffic is fairly light in the evening so it's not too bad, but it did detract some from the ambience. This campground did not connect directly to the rest of the trails - it was a 10 minute walk or so to get to the main trails.

No words-Incredible Hikes

Great campground. Huge, and new information building and great sites. Clean and secluded. But, the thing that got us was the hikes/waterfalls. You can’t make this stuff up! It was a remarkable campground/State Park!

3 Huge Waterfalls

Absolutely incredible sights! Three huge waterfalls that were breath taking. Great trails/hikes. Very clean and well kept. Easy access and friendly people!

Primitive-beautiful-secluded Campgrounds

Impeccable campground. Primitive, so no electricity. Clean, secluded, and beautiful! It was the perfect place to stay while we tripped the North Scenic Route.

Those Water.. Falllls ...

Trails are amazing. Falls are breathtaking. Campground is great. Been camping here since I was a child.

On lake superior and close to trails ...

Have stayed here a couple times. Great sites. Some with amazing views of lake superior. Good spot for through hikers of SHT. Near trails and adventures. Staff are nice and helpful. Quiet and well maintained campground.

Family campground.

Lots of RVs and generators being used. Family campground. Loud music. Had a couple visit my site looking for the dog they lost. Shinning flashlights on my site. Heck of a way to wake up. Its clean and the bathrooms aren't bad. Right on Lake Superior which is a plus. Grounds are kept up nicely. Staff are really nice. But if you're looking to hear nature this is not the place.

Camp sites surrounded by pines. Very open some sites more secluded.

Nice campground. Not much privacy if you're looking for that. Some sites more secluded than others. Baptism river runs along the campground and has limited camping sites near it. First come first serve. There was a group playing music late and a few drunk campers who visited my site unannounced. I still give it 4 stars because of the beautiful nature all around and proximity to trails.

Enjoyable for the whole family

My family have been camping here many years.The KIds always ask to stay here.The campground is family oriented.If you camp here you get free entrance to the gigantic water park.The park caters to little children to big kids. They sell food,or bring a picnic.Plenty of tables.If you not part of the campground,pay a small price to get in.They have the zip line.The western show is worth taking the day to see.They have an ice cream store,and golf,and arcades.Inside the campground,they have a pool,crabbing and fishing pier.Maybe rent a boat or kayak. They have a nice store,with a deli,supplies,beer,and soveniors.They have a laundry mat,and a cheap restaraunt.They also have cabins.But if you want to see the ocean,they supply a bus all day, The sites are shaded and easy to pull in

Ranger Review: RōM pack at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park

Campground Review

Campsite video

I absolutely love the Minnesota North Shore of Lake Superior. For the last six years we have driven up there approximately twice a year, and we have yet to run out of new places to explore or grow bored of the places that we have already been. My absolutely favorite place to camp so far has been Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. I’ve reviewed cart-in site 19 on The Dyrt previously, this time I’m reviewing cart-in site 9. The best part of camping here is that every campsite is unique, and most of them offer more privacy than you would get at a drive-in campground. You definitely get less road noise the closer you are to the lake.

There is a parking lot designated for cart-in campers. The carts themselves are kind of hidden behind a row of trees, just walk towards the bathroom structure in order to find them. Grab the cart with your campsite number on it and keep it at your site until you are ready to pack out. Keep in mind that MOST of the campsites require pushing the cart up or down a hill, so maybe take multiple trips or have extra people help carry some of the mid-weight items.

The obvious draw to this park is the lighthouse- it is run by the Minnesota Historical Society and you have to pay to even get up close to it. We have yet to cough up the fee to enter this area, but there are numerous places on the edge of the cliffs that offer great views of the lighthouse (the most Instagrammable spots are definitely outside of this special fee zone). The trail system is relatively extensive thanks to some regional trails cutting through the park. The Superior Hiking trail and paved Gitchi-Gami trails are some options, and one of the hiking trails is open to mountain bikers as well.

We actually tend to just hang out at our campsite when we camp here, but we did go on the Day Hill trail and went up to the observation point. It was unexpectedly beautiful and also featured a random fireplace that is apparently a great spot for a fire.

Camgpround: 5/5 stars

Product Review

Product video

As a Dyrt Ranger I was offered the opportunity to review the RōM Pack from RōM Outdoors. It is a 3-in-1 engineered feat that offers you the ability to use it as a hiking pack, a poncho, or a blanket. I have to admit that I was skeptical when I first received it. This thing is made out of heavy duty materials and weighs in at 4.6 pounds, is wider than me, and when it was empty it really didn’t form to my body at all. I was really pleased that I wound up loving it!

What I really loved about it is that the wide straps really distribute the weight well on your body. I was nervous about how heavy it was already when it was empty, and for our major day hike I had probably between 15-20 pounds extra in it. This probably doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, but in addition to having a generally achy back I’ve had a LOT of stress-induced tightness in my neck and upper back. Despite this, I wound up carrying the pack for most of our moderately-difficult ~5 hour hike on the Superior Hiking Trail to Bean and Bear lake.

I never felt any soreness from this pack at all, and in fact the only reason I asked my husband to carry it for the last stretch was because my glutes were giving out (fitness tracker said we climbed 121 flights of stairs!!). I was thrilled that when I took off the pack that all of my recent stiffness was reduced by about 90%!!! The weight of the pack combined with all of my movement must have stretched my muscles out in a therapeutic way. Some of the stiffness has creeped back, and I’m tempted to cancel all of my appointments that I scheduled last week for it and just go for another hike with this pack instead!

I got to try out the poncho feature at Tettegouche state park on my last North Shore day- it was ~45 degrees and was constantly raining. I was able to figure out how to convert the pack into a poncho quite easily, but I will definitely need a tutorial to convert it back into a pack. The thickness of the material was perfect for keeping me warm in this temperature- it might be too heavy for a hot weather rain. I felt a little self-conscious because of the backpack straps hanging off the front. You can either keep your hands inside of the poncho or use the snap buttons to close up the edges into sleeves.

Opportunities for improvements

Snap button strength- I only wore the rompack as a poncho for a 1.5 mile hike. I used the snaps to create “sleeves” and most of the snaps came undone with basic movements.

Waist straps- I only used the chest load balance strap since I found that the waist strap wasn’t terribly comfortable. I definitely would have preferred a waist strap that features padding like the Journey pack.

Chest strap tightness- I had this load balance strap as tight as it would go- and there is definitely an opportunity to make the non-adjustable side of the straps adjustable.

Poncho hood coverage- My head is big- women’s hats generally don’t fit me. I thought that the hood could be slightly larger or feature a bill that pops out to prevent rain from getting on my face/glasses.

Shoulder strap placement- When you are wearing this product as a poncho the straps kind of just hang down the front. I’m not a backpack/poncho engineer, but it seemed like you could easily rotate the hood opening 180 degrees and have the straps go down your back instead. It also seems like there is an opportunity to put snaps on the shoulder pads to keep them flat against the poncho.

Bottle holders- the pack features two mesh pockets for water bottles or other things that you want to keep handy. They aren’t stretchy, which means that wider water bottles might not be able to be stored here.

Colors- Hopefully as RōM Outdoors grows they could expand their color selection.

Relaxing and comfortable

There are showers and a bar. It was a great place to stay. There was a river behind us but because of the bushes you couldn't see it. Beautiful area, nice people and right along side a 4-wheeling trail.

AWESOME Campground

This is a great campground with a ton of sites. None of them have electric but they all have an amazing fire ring with a grill on top along with a nice area to park a car as well as a flat area for a tent!

Convenient to Bayfield, Amazing views of Lake Superior

Nice campground. Pretty primitive - no running water in the bathrooms so no showers and pit toilets only, but there are two city water connections for drinking water. Electric hookups at the campsites. The sites are pretty close to each other, not much privacy, but the sites along Lake Superior are beautiful. Easy walk to Bayfield. No reservations. Not much room to turn around large vehicles, and a steep hill to the road. There is a free shuttle to shows at Big Top Chautauqua that picks up in the campground. Also, the city provides free firewood!

Beautiful and Accessible Backpacking

Great for beginning backpackers and those who want a longer trip, the Porcupine Mountains offer 100+ miles of trails. Can make 2-3 day loops, or do in and out hikes. Beautiful views, old growth forests, waterfalls and rivers. Starting with the 2018 season, the backcountry campsites must be reserved in advance. Campsites have bear poles and fire pits. There are also a few cabins that can be rented, but don't allow dogs inside the cabins.

A+++

Spent 4 nights motorcycle camping the week after labor day. Very quite and peaceful. Large, private sites. Beautiful, great riding.

One of two choices for camping on Madeline Island

Sites were generous in size and most had trees for privacy, however there are only 60. Pit toilets but only one bathhouse with showers situated between the two campgrounds. Only two sinks and showers and when it is busy, this is not enough (I waited more than once to wash my hands). Boardwalk along Lake Superior leads to Big Bay Town Park, the other option on Madeline Island. Both are about five miles from town, easy to bike to but not walkable. Quiet hours were not enforced when we were there -there was a loud party going on across from our site that lasted well into the wee hours of the morning. Recommend you take a boat ride to explore other islands.

So close to the lake!

Temperance River has two really nice campgrounds, each with their own highlights. The Lower Campground sits on the lake and if you’re fast enough you can get lake view sites reserved. We were at camping with family that was RV camping so we chose two sites right next to each other. They were sites 57 and 58. The bathrooms were just vault toilets a little bit down the road so not super convenient as with the shower bathrooms at the Upper Campground but they worked fine for us. Our site did not have a view of the lake but was a fine size for our car and a large tent. A short 3 minute walk brought right to the lake and rocky beach where there were plenty of books and crannies to explore. The Temperance River also comes out in this beach so you can play around that as well. From our location at Temperance we easily explored and enjoyed hiking the Oberg Mtn Loop, trails like Honeymoon Bluff up the Gunflint and visiting other parks like Cascade River.

Meh. Better than nothing

Nice views of Gitchi Gumee, a marina, but thats about where the pluses end. Only 50 amp hookups (so bring your adapter), showers/toilets are in the casino, tiny little firepits, really crowded sites, dude at the front desk was not very warm or receptive. Service at the restauant was horrible too.

Nice campground right on Lake Superior

This campground has a marina and a beach right on Lake Superior. We went in mid September and it was pretty empty. There were about 10 tent only sites and there were campers at only 1 of the other tent sites and they were there only 1 night. I think if it was busy it might feel too crowded because the sites are very close. You had to pay 2 dollars for the showers but the water was hot and you got a good amount of time. The bathrooms were clean.

The runner up on Sonju Lake

Sonju Lake is just a short hike from the Sonju Lake Road parking lot on the Superior Hiking Trail. It's a great spot if you're getting a late start on your trip or looking for a short ending at the finale. There are two campsites on Sonju and one is the star. This is not the one. It's fine but it's lacking the highlight of this trail section, Lilly's Island. The site sits on the lake but has little view from the actual site. Water access is so so but the views of the lake are lovely.

Egge Lake is A.O.K

I was heading out with my oldest for her first backpacking trip so we did a quick 3 day 2 night trip out on the Superior Hiking Trail. I let her pick the section and she chose a nice short but scenic section from Sonju Lake Road out to the Baptism River and back. We chose Sonju Lake and Egge Lake as our two night, with Egge Lake being the first. We attempted the South camp but there were already visitors so we headed back to the North camp. It was spacious, flat and open with easy access to the lake for water and views. The lake was mostly hidden from view by the trees once in camp but you could still enjoy the sounds of Loons and frogs at night.

Lilly's Island is such a treat!

When my oldest and I headed out for her first backpacking trip we decided to do a quick 3 day trip with 2 overnights that were fairly close together. We chose to do an out and back from Sonju Lake Road parking lot to the Baptism River crossing and back. Even though Sonju Lake is a short walk from the lot we went to Egge Lake for our first night and then came back to Sonju for our second night. There are two sites on Sonju but you MUST try and stay at the south site. It has one of the best little spots on the trail called Lilly's Island. You can not camp on this sweet little oasis but you can definitely spend an afternoon lounging there. Our only regret was not bringing our hammocks. The campsite is just a short 2 min walk from the island and has sufficient space for a few tents. The water access from the site wasn't huge but it was good for getting water. This is definitely a highlight camp spot on the trail.

Nice hiking and waterfalls

Two campgrounds in this state park - South and North but only a total of 56 sites between them, 23 of them with electric. Saw it was filling up even on a weekday in September so made a reservation but still could not get an electric site. Sites were generous in size and most has good separation with lots of trees. Nice hiking on the North Country Scenic Trail to Red Granite Falls and the Doughboys Trail to see the park’s namesake falls plus another and a cascade. We came from camping in Michigan State parks which are much nicer so we were a bit spoiled. My rating would have been higher if there was a bath house with showers in the North campground; the pit toilets were ok but it was too long of a walk to the south campground where there are flush toilets and showers. They were ok but not great (not as nice as Michigan State parks). Lots of hungry mosquitoes as it has not gotten chilly yet so bring bug spray! Very spotty cell service.

Beauty and grace

LOOOOOVED THIS CAMPGROUND! So worth the drive through the mountains for the rustic feel and amazing scenery.

Beautiful, quiet, awesome sunsets on Lake Superior!!!

We spent Labor Day weekend in the Porcupine Mountains; it was our first time, we loved our time there, the Presque Isle campground is awesome, sits close to the Presque Isle River, on a bluff over Lake Superior. The sunsets on Lake Superior while we were there were fabulous. Campsites are large, the campground seems to be well taken care of. The only issue we had was the vault toilets, they hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. We have camped in other rustic state campgrounds over the years and we have never had the experience with the vaults that we did over Labor Day weekend. Unfortunately it took away from out experience.

Vast and Amazing

We spent a weekend back country camping in the Porcupine Mountains; this was our first time here. Friday we spent the day hiking all over the park with our day packs. We hiked Government Peak Trail to Union Spring and Trap Falls/ lost lake. Union Spring hike isn't the greatest but the spring is pretty cool to take a look (completely clear with white sand bottom, not accessible to swim wade, etc), trap falls was neat, great place to take a dip! We ventured over to Lake of the clouds just to take a gander, didn't do much hiking in this area. From there we parked our car at Pinkerton; threw on our full packs and headed to our 1st site, LS #6 = AMAZING view and it sits off the trail a bit!! It's about a 4 mile hike into the site; bear pole provided at site. This site sits right on the lake. Someone has done some kick butt work at this site. We had stone chairs to sit at around the fire pit, great wind break surrounding the fire pit, and stone chairs to sit out on the rocky shore to watch the sunset. Tent pad is big enough for 2 small tents but other areas would suffice for tent set up. The next morning we got up and hiked towards Big Carp/shining cloud falls, spent the morning hiking around this area. We came back, broke down camp, and headed for our next site LC #9. This site was nice but we were spoiled by our 1st site. The view was nice, much more open and sits really close to the trail. No bear pole at this site so you need to do your diligence to find decent trees to hang your stuff from. Their isn't much room for more than 2 tents at this site. Once camp was set we took our time and hiked more of the little carp trail towards Trapper & Greenstone Falls. The next day we broke down camp and headed back to the car. This park is huge, outside of Lake Of the Coulds, we ran into maybe a dozen people the whole weekend. If I was going to do it again I would have only reserved LS 6 and day hiked all around from there on Big & Little Carp or picked another site further away to backpack to. We were limited on time so that and wanted to experience different sites since it was our 1st trip. Their are plenty of opportunities to go swimming either in the lake or the numerous creeks you come across. No major issues with bugs, no bear sightings but we saw paw prints, lots of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. Take your time on the trails and enjoy all that nature is throwing at you. It's a beautiful park.