the dyrt
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, WISCONSIN
Most Recent Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Camping Reviews
Adequate for staying in Two Harbors

If your objective is a daytrip or weekend trip to Two Harbors without dropping a lot of money for lodging, this is an adequate campground. There is a good new bathhouse facility, and the location of the campground is primo for exploring the Two Harbors area. However, the campsites are small, jampacked together, and open without trees. RVers will find the anrnities they need, but even for them I think they might find it a bit crowded. Not good for tent campers, no privacy, a lot of noise, and hard tent sites. Car camping might not be so bad if you really want to be in the Two Harbors area. Campground closes mid October to mid May.

Note--the website link in the listing above doesnt seem to work, the correct website address is http://www.twoharborsmn.gov/citydepartments/burlingtonbay_campground/index.php

Up on the Ridge!

This is a state forest campground high on a ridge overlooking Lake Superior, just south of the Wolf Ridge ELC. It has alot of overflow campers from Tettegouche in the summer, but is also a destination for folks who want to fish on the Baptism River or visit Wolf Ridge. It is in a bit quieter and off the beaten path than nearby Eckbeck campground, but it is much larger so it gets busier and noisier in peak season. It also is a campground of choice for folks interested in using the nearby state forest ATV trails, and apparently there have been some security issues related to ATVers here so video cameras are in use here for security as it is an unstaffed campground with occasional visits from state forest rangers. The campsites are large and spacious and have good fire grills and picnic tables, but the facilities are outhouses so more geared toward primitive or self sufficient camping. In summer, the business of the campground is not appealing; in winter there are few campers so I would be concerned about security issues, plus being at higher elevation there is a lot more snow up here so winter campers should be prepared!

State Forest camping at Eckbeck

We checked out this campground when, despite the cold and snow, the campgrounds were pretty full for Edmund Fitzgerald weekend at nearby Split Rock. This is a nice small state forest campground right off Rt 1 between Tettegouche and Finland. It is perfect for folks who want a quieter more primitive camping experience as there are no hookups and the facilities are outhouses. However, it is a pretty spot next to the Baptism River, and it is easy to get out to many nearby parks and outdoor recreation attractions in the area. This campground serves as an overflow for Tettegouche campers in the summer, and is quieter in the off season, however you may find a lot of hunters staying here during hunting season, or local weekend partiers showing up on quieter fall weekends. One advantage is that there is a great large group campsite here at which we have camped with a scout troop in late August and it worked well. It would be a nice spot in September and early October too, but as it is unstaffed and not frequented in the winter I might hesitate to go winter camping here

Serious Split Rock camping

Every year, on the November anniversary of the sinking if the Edmund Fitzgerald, there is a special day of activities at Split Rock Lighthouse, capped by a memorial service that includes the lighting of the lighthouse lamp at sundown. This is such a popular event that even though there had been cold and snow along the Shore for weeks, most campsites at Split Rock were taken for the weekend and some folks lingered into the next week. Intrepid campers we Minnesotans! Water is shut off in the campground bathhouse at this time if year, but if you are a hardy winter camper, and you dont mind using outhouses, then camping here in winter is do-able. The campsites are pretty much all walkin sites, but there are carts available. There are regular bathrooms in the visitor center but that is a long way from the campground! However, if you are prepared to rough it and know how to stay warm in the off season, it is possible to camp here, and the quiet winter season, the special light of the short winter days, and the amazing wild moods of Lake Superior in winter, make it worthwhile to try the experience! Probably best not to take the campsites close to shore though as waves crash way up onto land when the winter storms pick up

Winter Camping is possible here!

Minnesotans are a hardy lot. Hence, winter camping at state park campsites is still possible at most state parks for those who choose to do it. Unlike many state, winter camping starts in October and goes through April and sometimes into May! If you are willing to forgo amenities like hot running water (the shower houses and campground bathrooms have the water shut off in winter) and if you dont mind using outhouses or trekking to the park Visitor Center, then camping here is do-able, and you will get to experience the winter mood of the Gooseberry River and environs at a special quiet time if the year. When we were here there were no tent campers, but a handful of RV campers and car campers. Its worth doing if you know how to stay warm and dont mind the limited park services!

Easy Cart-in to beautiful sites

This campground has 18 sites, that are cart-in only. You park in the paved parking lot, and use the provided carts to haul your equipment to your site. They are between 200 and 1800 feet away, on hilly gravel trails. Each site is private, some are are hidden from the trail. Some are on the cliff edge, overlooking Lake Superior.

There is a nice shower and bathroom facility at the trail head. Water is available as well.

The Park requires a State Park permit, and a daily camping fee applies.

The area has many hiking trails, and the very popular and legendary Split Rock Lighthouse.

Gorgeous Views!!

We stayed last year and made a pact to go back every year! Unbelievable sights and very relaxed, uncrowded sites! If you like rustic camping this is a must see!

Simple camping

This campground is at a casino. It's a simple place to stay with no frills. We stayed in site 6 on the water. The sites are tight but there is a nice open space where your firepit is close to the water. We prefered site 4 so we will be staying there this year. Theres a nice place to put your kayak in under a huge tree. The bathrooms/showers are in the casino. They are clean. We had to borrow a 50 amp plug in because we only had our 30.

Campsite #6

Pet-friendly. Site can be reserved. Shore access & trail access to many waterfalls within a short walking distance.

Wonderful family atmosphere

This campground was clean and well kept. The owners were very friendly and worked hard to meet the camping needs of our family which included nine adults and seven children. The showers and bathrooms were clean. The playground had enough equipment to keep our children busy with plenty to do while we prepared meals.

Lambs resort sits on beautiful Lake Superior. We walked the lakeshore and walked up and swam in the river edging Lambs resort. My only hesitation about writing this review is Lambs resort might become to popular.

Great day visit

Another place to have some great hiking. The views we're fantastic and the trails well maintained.

Great MN state park

I wish we had a longer weekend to enjoy the park. Between all the great hiking trails waterfalls and lake Superior there is something for any outdoor enthusiast. Lots of ups and downs. One trail we counted 595 stairs one way.

Lovely waterside campground

Each site at the cart-in campground was secluded from view from the others. Mine was right along the water with a path down to a small beach and rock outcrop, nice for sitting and watching the water. The one downside was that the road is so close you can hear cars going by at night. Traffic is fairly light in the evening so it's not too bad, but it did detract some from the ambience. This campground did not connect directly to the rest of the trails - it was a 10 minute walk or so to get to the main trails.

No words-Incredible Hikes

Great campground. Huge, and new information building and great sites. Clean and secluded. But, the thing that got us was the hikes/waterfalls. You can’t make this stuff up! It was a remarkable campground/State Park!

3 Huge Waterfalls

Absolutely incredible sights! Three huge waterfalls that were breath taking. Great trails/hikes. Very clean and well kept. Easy access and friendly people!

Primitive-beautiful-secluded Campgrounds

Impeccable campground. Primitive, so no electricity. Clean, secluded, and beautiful! It was the perfect place to stay while we tripped the North Scenic Route.

Those Water.. Falllls ...

Trails are amazing. Falls are breathtaking. Campground is great. Been camping here since I was a child.

On lake superior and close to trails ...

Have stayed here a couple times. Great sites. Some with amazing views of lake superior. Good spot for through hikers of SHT. Near trails and adventures. Staff are nice and helpful. Quiet and well maintained campground.

Family campground.

Lots of RVs and generators being used. Family campground. Loud music. Had a couple visit my site looking for the dog they lost. Shinning flashlights on my site. Heck of a way to wake up. Its clean and the bathrooms aren't bad. Right on Lake Superior which is a plus. Grounds are kept up nicely. Staff are really nice. But if you're looking to hear nature this is not the place.

Camp sites surrounded by pines. Very open some sites more secluded.

Nice campground. Not much privacy if you're looking for that. Some sites more secluded than others. Baptism river runs along the campground and has limited camping sites near it. First come first serve. There was a group playing music late and a few drunk campers who visited my site unannounced. I still give it 4 stars because of the beautiful nature all around and proximity to trails.

Enjoyable for the whole family

My family have been camping here many years.The KIds always ask to stay here.The campground is family oriented.If you camp here you get free entrance to the gigantic water park.The park caters to little children to big kids. They sell food,or bring a picnic.Plenty of tables.If you not part of the campground,pay a small price to get in.They have the zip line.The western show is worth taking the day to see.They have an ice cream store,and golf,and arcades.Inside the campground,they have a pool,crabbing and fishing pier.Maybe rent a boat or kayak. They have a nice store,with a deli,supplies,beer,and soveniors.They have a laundry mat,and a cheap restaraunt.They also have cabins.But if you want to see the ocean,they supply a bus all day, The sites are shaded and easy to pull in

Ranger Review: RōM pack at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park

Campground Review

Campsite video

I absolutely love the Minnesota North Shore of Lake Superior. For the last six years we have driven up there approximately twice a year, and we have yet to run out of new places to explore or grow bored of the places that we have already been. My absolutely favorite place to camp so far has been Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. I’ve reviewed cart-in site 19 on The Dyrt previously, this time I’m reviewing cart-in site 9. The best part of camping here is that every campsite is unique, and most of them offer more privacy than you would get at a drive-in campground. You definitely get less road noise the closer you are to the lake.

There is a parking lot designated for cart-in campers. The carts themselves are kind of hidden behind a row of trees, just walk towards the bathroom structure in order to find them. Grab the cart with your campsite number on it and keep it at your site until you are ready to pack out. Keep in mind that MOST of the campsites require pushing the cart up or down a hill, so maybe take multiple trips or have extra people help carry some of the mid-weight items.

The obvious draw to this park is the lighthouse- it is run by the Minnesota Historical Society and you have to pay to even get up close to it. We have yet to cough up the fee to enter this area, but there are numerous places on the edge of the cliffs that offer great views of the lighthouse (the most Instagrammable spots are definitely outside of this special fee zone). The trail system is relatively extensive thanks to some regional trails cutting through the park. The Superior Hiking trail and paved Gitchi-Gami trails are some options, and one of the hiking trails is open to mountain bikers as well.

We actually tend to just hang out at our campsite when we camp here, but we did go on the Day Hill trail and went up to the observation point. It was unexpectedly beautiful and also featured a random fireplace that is apparently a great spot for a fire.

Camgpround: 5/5 stars

Product Review

Product video

As a Dyrt Ranger I was offered the opportunity to review the RōM Pack from RōM Outdoors. It is a 3-in-1 engineered feat that offers you the ability to use it as a hiking pack, a poncho, or a blanket. I have to admit that I was skeptical when I first received it. This thing is made out of heavy duty materials and weighs in at 4.6 pounds, is wider than me, and when it was empty it really didn’t form to my body at all. I was really pleased that I wound up loving it!

What I really loved about it is that the wide straps really distribute the weight well on your body. I was nervous about how heavy it was already when it was empty, and for our major day hike I had probably between 15-20 pounds extra in it. This probably doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, but in addition to having a generally achy back I’ve had a LOT of stress-induced tightness in my neck and upper back. Despite this, I wound up carrying the pack for most of our moderately-difficult ~5 hour hike on the Superior Hiking Trail to Bean and Bear lake.

I never felt any soreness from this pack at all, and in fact the only reason I asked my husband to carry it for the last stretch was because my glutes were giving out (fitness tracker said we climbed 121 flights of stairs!!). I was thrilled that when I took off the pack that all of my recent stiffness was reduced by about 90%!!! The weight of the pack combined with all of my movement must have stretched my muscles out in a therapeutic way. Some of the stiffness has creeped back, and I’m tempted to cancel all of my appointments that I scheduled last week for it and just go for another hike with this pack instead!

I got to try out the poncho feature at Tettegouche state park on my last North Shore day- it was ~45 degrees and was constantly raining. I was able to figure out how to convert the pack into a poncho quite easily, but I will definitely need a tutorial to convert it back into a pack. The thickness of the material was perfect for keeping me warm in this temperature- it might be too heavy for a hot weather rain. I felt a little self-conscious because of the backpack straps hanging off the front. You can either keep your hands inside of the poncho or use the snap buttons to close up the edges into sleeves.

Opportunities for improvements

Snap button strength- I only wore the rompack as a poncho for a 1.5 mile hike. I used the snaps to create “sleeves” and most of the snaps came undone with basic movements.

Waist straps- I only used the chest load balance strap since I found that the waist strap wasn’t terribly comfortable. I definitely would have preferred a waist strap that features padding like the Journey pack.

Chest strap tightness- I had this load balance strap as tight as it would go- and there is definitely an opportunity to make the non-adjustable side of the straps adjustable.

Poncho hood coverage- My head is big- women’s hats generally don’t fit me. I thought that the hood could be slightly larger or feature a bill that pops out to prevent rain from getting on my face/glasses.

Shoulder strap placement- When you are wearing this product as a poncho the straps kind of just hang down the front. I’m not a backpack/poncho engineer, but it seemed like you could easily rotate the hood opening 180 degrees and have the straps go down your back instead. It also seems like there is an opportunity to put snaps on the shoulder pads to keep them flat against the poncho.

Bottle holders- the pack features two mesh pockets for water bottles or other things that you want to keep handy. They aren’t stretchy, which means that wider water bottles might not be able to be stored here.

Colors- Hopefully as RōM Outdoors grows they could expand their color selection.

Relaxing and comfortable

There are showers and a bar. It was a great place to stay. There was a river behind us but because of the bushes you couldn't see it. Beautiful area, nice people and right along side a 4-wheeling trail.

AWESOME Campground

This is a great campground with a ton of sites. None of them have electric but they all have an amazing fire ring with a grill on top along with a nice area to park a car as well as a flat area for a tent!

Convenient to Bayfield, Amazing views of Lake Superior

Nice campground. Pretty primitive - no running water in the bathrooms so no showers and pit toilets only, but there are two city water connections for drinking water. Electric hookups at the campsites. The sites are pretty close to each other, not much privacy, but the sites along Lake Superior are beautiful. Easy walk to Bayfield. No reservations. Not much room to turn around large vehicles, and a steep hill to the road. There is a free shuttle to shows at Big Top Chautauqua that picks up in the campground. Also, the city provides free firewood!

Beautiful and Accessible Backpacking

Great for beginning backpackers and those who want a longer trip, the Porcupine Mountains offer 100+ miles of trails. Can make 2-3 day loops, or do in and out hikes. Beautiful views, old growth forests, waterfalls and rivers. Starting with the 2018 season, the backcountry campsites must be reserved in advance. Campsites have bear poles and fire pits. There are also a few cabins that can be rented, but don't allow dogs inside the cabins.

A+++

Spent 4 nights motorcycle camping the week after labor day. Very quite and peaceful. Large, private sites. Beautiful, great riding.

One of two choices for camping on Madeline Island

Sites were generous in size and most had trees for privacy, however there are only 60. Pit toilets but only one bathhouse with showers situated between the two campgrounds. Only two sinks and showers and when it is busy, this is not enough (I waited more than once to wash my hands). Boardwalk along Lake Superior leads to Big Bay Town Park, the other option on Madeline Island. Both are about five miles from town, easy to bike to but not walkable. Quiet hours were not enforced when we were there -there was a loud party going on across from our site that lasted well into the wee hours of the morning. Recommend you take a boat ride to explore other islands.

So close to the lake!

Temperance River has two really nice campgrounds, each with their own highlights. The Lower Campground sits on the lake and if you’re fast enough you can get lake view sites reserved. We were at camping with family that was RV camping so we chose two sites right next to each other. They were sites 57 and 58. The bathrooms were just vault toilets a little bit down the road so not super convenient as with the shower bathrooms at the Upper Campground but they worked fine for us. Our site did not have a view of the lake but was a fine size for our car and a large tent. A short 3 minute walk brought right to the lake and rocky beach where there were plenty of books and crannies to explore. The Temperance River also comes out in this beach so you can play around that as well. From our location at Temperance we easily explored and enjoyed hiking the Oberg Mtn Loop, trails like Honeymoon Bluff up the Gunflint and visiting other parks like Cascade River.

Meh. Better than nothing

Nice views of Gitchi Gumee, a marina, but thats about where the pluses end. Only 50 amp hookups (so bring your adapter), showers/toilets are in the casino, tiny little firepits, really crowded sites, dude at the front desk was not very warm or receptive. Service at the restauant was horrible too.