The best camping in
Pennsylvania

Camping Pennsylvania

Fireflies illuminate Pennsylvania summer nights. Cricket song fills the air. In Autumn, a motley blaze of red and yellow leaves streaks the hillsides as a rich, earthy scent permeates the woods. Through all seasons, gurgling brooks and creeks weave their way through the countryside. Secret glens and mossy pools await. For centuries this landscape has attracted lovers of the outdoors, and there's no limit to opportunities for camping in Pennsylvania.

An indescribable yet unmistakably ancient energy fills Pennsylvania's wildernesses. It can be felt clearly in places like Bushkill Falls. There, in the "Niagara of Pennsylvania," explorers of all ages find fun and discovery.

A broad network of trails leads to and around eight beautiful waterfalls. The Twin Lakes wait for anglers. Curious travelers can explore three different historical exhibits, sluice for gemstones, or try their luck in the Bushkill Falls Mining Company Maze. Some people claim that if you stand still, close your eyes, and listen, you can feel the history ebbing and flowing around your feet at Bushkill Falls.

Pennsylvania's enormous population of majestic whitetail deer offer great surprises for nature-lovers camping in Pennsylvania. With a closely monitored population ranging from 1 to 1.5 million, Pennsylvania's white tail are famous for their size, grace, and beauty. Alert hikers and campers will likely catch a glimpse of these wonderful animals.

The Pennsylvania landscape is diverse and full of variety. With the Appalachian Mountains bisecting the state, the eastern and western halves are distinctive both culturally and geographically, but neither is lacking for natural wonders.

To the east, you can find camping near popular destinations like the Delaware Water Gap at the border between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. To the west, there's the fantastic Laurel Caverns, where visitors can experience a three-hour-long tour that goes 46 stories deep into the mountainside.

Pennsylvania has plenty of rivers for the aquatically inclined. Chief among them is the Susquehanna, the longest East Coast river draining into the Atlantic Ocean. This impressive waterway offers many opportunities for fishing, boating, and exploration. Folks camping in Pennsylvania may enjoy pitching their tent or parking their camper on the Susquehanna riverside.

All of this is just a small part of what the Keystone State offers to explorers of all kinds. Many more secrets wait nestled in the countryside, waiting to be discovered.

Recent Reviews in Pennsylvania
Lots to do here

This campground felt huge and was totally packed for Memorial Day weekend. The bathrooms were fine but definitely got crowded and dirty (it rained off and on so lots of mud tracking). The sites are nice but pretty close together. Overall it was a good experience considering that it was a busy holiday weekend with some rainy weather.

There are lots of things to do when staying here. We took an awesome hike down to the waterfall, fished at the lake, played on the playground, swam at the beach, and visited the boulder field.

The camp store is just incredible! You could get lost for hours in there!

Great stay

Had a great getaway here in early September. During the week it was quiet the weekend came and every site filled up. Even picked fresh apples just down the road.

Good stop to visit Philly

We stayed here a week in October. The owners are nice and we found the campground to be quite and a good place to hop on a train and ride into Philly. We camped right by the large/nice playground that my kids enjoyed. It’s not far from town, but far enough to drown out the noise of the city.

Gorgeous in the fall

Stayed in B-08 on mid October and had a great trip. The site was non-electric and it seems most of the outer side of this loop is basic camping with the inside of the loop having power. The other loops offer full hookups but opting for this area kept us from being surrounded by massive RV's. Easy back in spot for our car, partially shaded, decent brush cover between sites and able to keep tent about 20 yards from the road on a crushed rock pad. I will say this site has a little bit of slope but nothing that affected our sleep. The fire ring is very high sided and if you're not sitting on a higher camp chairs you kind of miss the fire. Picnic table was sturdy but easy enough to move lnto place to fit our needs. Tons of hike mg within the park including some historic sites at Hopewell Furnace like the blacksmith shop and old residences. Checked in a. It before the stated 3pm time without issues. Very few rangers seen during stay but it is after labor day and most of the seasonal attractions like the pool etc were closed for the season. Very clean bathrooms with easy to use dish sinks on the outside. Overall for a trip that within 75 minutes of Philly you can't go wrong for a quick jaunt out of town.

Nic cabin camping!

Nice, clean, friendly/accommodating staff and the prices were reasonable for the accommodations. My Outdoor Adventure Algorithm is:(Drink+Fire+Lean-To)-(Rules+Regulations+Fees)/(Crowd-Privacy)*(Isolation*Acceptability of loud, primal, Forest-Man behavior)=Camping. While you won't mistake yourself for a member of the Donner Party, you'll also be comfortable, watching Dish, cooking on a gas stove or microwave inside(fire-ring out), with cold food/drinks and ice from the'big' mini-fridge. Bunk room had 2 bunk beds, each with a full size mattress AND room to move, plus good natural light. Living/dining area is large with a wall-mounted tv, rustic wood dining set, storage room and hooks/hangers, good natural light, as well as sufficient artificial direct and ambient lighting.Comfortable couch pulls out into a comfortable bed. Large covered front porch with again more lighting and a hanging swing. Parking is driveway-close, and they're pretty mellow about blazing conflagrations(IF it's under control) so you can get a REAL bed of coals to properly cook.They also have used/re-purposed camping/RV/tailgating items for sale( some free). It would even make a good event-specific yard-sale trip. Overall, a damned nice hotel in the woods. Not a survivalist challenge or hXc camping experience; just a clean, safe getaway for a game, Arts Fest, or just a time-out

Nice quiet campground

Nice quiet campground. Lots of room, fishing lake and pool. Not a ton of activities but would recommend.

Family friendly

I grew up near this park so I’m a little used to it, however, it’s perfect for families. Good trails, kayak rentals, and a private beach for the campgrounds make it a nice vacation spot. I had a good time.

Our favorite campground in the area

We stay at Pickerel Point and Deerfield depending on season. No complaints and was pleasantly surprised they have programs for kids. Can never go wrong here.

Something for everyone!

We love this campground!! The area is absolutely beautiful. The lake is large and gorgeous. There are a lot of lake side campsites which are amazing. The hosts are all very friendly. We had a problem with our site and our weekend was saved thanks to the wonderful rangers. We are so thankful. My one and only reason for 4 out of 5 stars are the bathhouses. I wish they would update like Cowan's Gap. I have health issues and am always afraid I'll fall because the floors are so wet. Otherwise, they are kept cleaned up. Honestly, one of my favorite places to visit and we camp at as lot of parks. I hope they'll add more cottages too! There are lots of nice basic (non-electric) sites that are wooded, well shaded and private. There are nice, shaded electric sites. However, if you request electric and water you automatically get sewer too. This raises the price per site, per night by$13 and gives you a site with very little shade. We will return but we will choose an electric only site and fill our A-frame's water tank in order to get a wooded site. This campground is 100% reservable which means that you must select a site when you make your reservation. If you do not live in the area, that is difficult

Loved it!!

We camped at Codorus State Park for the first time a few years ago while out east. We really love this Campground! There is a wide variety of sites so finding one that you like should not be difficult, there are some in wide-open park-like settings, and some that are treed. For the most part we didn't notice any that really seem to be right on top of each other, but we think the site we got was the best one in the park. We were in 132, which was huge and had nice open flat areas for the tent, there were actually three spots that we could have put it on, and lots of trees to hang our hammocks and options for our tarps, but there was no chance of rain at all that weekend so we did not hang tarps. Those trees were bare however until very far up, so they did not afford any privacy, but we definitely were not on top of the people next door anyway so it was just how we like it. There is some hiking, not strenuous climbing mountains hiking, mostly easy, and the lake was the biggest attraction for me. Campground bath houses were very clean, nice hot showers with great showerhead that stayed on without pushing a button. Our site was close to the bath, a trail head, and field where we lay in the sun and played frisbee. We are definitely going back!

Fun weekend

My family of 4 tent camped here for the weekend. Everyone at this campground was so friendly and nice. The staff really tried to make our stay comfortable. I noticed there was always a staff member driving around in a golf cart, checking on things. The bathrooms were very clean and maintained the whole weekend. The firewood sold at the camp store was only$5 for a large bundle and burned very well. Some campgrounds seem to sell "wet" wood that is hard to light. My only negative comment would be this is more of an RV park. If you do tent camp you should know you will be out in the open, no trees around your site and NO privacy. I will say the tent sites are huge and you can park 2 cars at each one. We made the best of it. We stayed in site 404

Ranger Review: Wenzel Ivanhoe 6 Tent at French Creek State Park

Campground Review: French Creek State Park Campground is located in Elverson, Pennsylvania and sits adjacent to Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site. There are 200 individual sites in four loops, some with full hookups for RVs, some with electric only but mostly primitive sites. There are also several cottages, cabins and yurts available as well.

For this trip, my husband and I camped alongside our friends, which included three other couples and their children, so we took up two electric sites for the tent campers and two full hook up sites for our friends with RVs. We stayed in Loop C, which is the only dog friendly loop in the campground, on sites 35, 37, 39,& 40. Thankfully, a short walk to the bathroom facilities for us tent campers.

Normally site 35 would have been way too small for our usual gear– a behemoth 9X15 tent- but it was a perfect fit for the tent I was reviewing on this trip. Our friends, who have the same large tent as us, stayed on site 37 and had plenty of space to pitch it, but many of the sites surrounding ours were very rocky and left little option for a larger than normal sized tent so keep this in mind if you have a large family sized tent. I’ve included a few photos of the surrounding sites for future reference. The bath/shower house in this loop was adequate and includes two dish washing stations outside. The showers had good pressure and hot water. It was cleaned often throughout the weekend, however it is definitely in need of an update.

We also checked out the other loops for future use and found Loop A to have very spacious, less rocky sites, however, there was little shrubbery between each site, making them less private than the sites in Loop C.

There are two lakes in French Creek, Hopewell and Scott's Run and each contain many species of fish. We spent Saturday afternoon fishing but not catching anything at Scott's Run. It’s a beautiful location and it was still a fun way to spend the day with the kids away from the site.

We found several places nearby to purchase wood, besides the supermarket and a nursery in town, there are a few residents that sell it right on their front lawn so be on the look-out en route to the park entrance.

Generally, we camp in the off season, and usually have the whole place to ourselves, so I had some concern prior to arrival that every site in every loop was booked for the whole weekend and expected it to be noisy, however, I was pleasantly surprised. It was quiet and our neighbors were respectful of the quiet hours and our space. It was a wonderfully peaceful weekend for us all and we will definitely visit again soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Review: Wenzel Ivanhoe 6 Tent

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I am occasionally offered the opportunity to test new outdoor products. For this trip I tested the Wenzel Ivanhoe 6 Tent https://wenzelco.com/ivanhoe-6/.

Generally, my husband and I use a larger ez up tent, but I liked this tent specifically for the design which is reminiscent of the tent my parents used when I was a child and figured it would be a good option for shorter weekend trips, rather than our 9X15 ez-up.

The set up was relatively easy, although one person might have some difficulty. It held up well during an evening thunderstorm, but for a small seam leak near the door. We believe this is a result of the fact that our site was slightly uneven and that particular corner was not as evenly pitched with the other corners of the tent which resulted in a bit of a gap in the roof.

The airflow is great, with the small vent in the rear, two side windows and the full screen door. There are also two smaller vents at the top- though neither seem seem to add that much airflow,- perhaps a design flaw or more likely the uneven ground it was pitched on.

I love the fact that there are awnings over the side windows, but in order for them to be effective one must stake out three guy lines on each side, plus the one on the front and the back. Knowing this I had purchased some small lights to hang on the lines to prevent tripping on them at night and it worked out perfectly.

The front doors are secured closed from wind and rain by velcro strips, rather than the standard ties. There are four side pockets and a handy troubleshooting guide sewn into the interior wall for any issues you experience while in use, such as leaking, condensation, or a faulty zipper.

I am very happy with this tent. For the two of us it was the perfect size for our ten inch high queen size air mattress and some minimal gear. The peak height was just over 6 foot, so we were both able to stand upright without issue.

Best camp ever

Most relaxing, eventful or not, coolest place ever. this place is home to me. I will post my pictures but I'm surprised with how popular it is, theres nothing on this app for it! Trust me on this one! Great for all ages! Rvs are accepted and small tent groups and large tent groups! Massive lake with rentals, so many hikes available. Events available near by if not in.

Very peaceful

I camped here as a child so when my husband and I recently purchased our new RV I knew we had to go there. My only reason for not giving 5 stars is that only a small portion of the park is open to campers with pets. I'm ok if they have just a section of pet sites, but you are also not allowed to walk the whole park with them - just that small front section. It would be nice to see the whole park become pet friendly.

Quiet well maintained

Owners and seasonal campers are friendly. We camped here 3 times this summer. We’re going to masquerade ball in October. Large sites, nice restrooms, big hall, pool, lake to canoe, boat & fish. They have a small cafe for breakfast and lunch. You can rent the hall for parties and weddings. You can get married at the gazebo. They have activities on weekends. Like the bingo here. Keystone Lake close to campground to go boating. Short drive to Smicksburg to shop. You may hear the horse drawn buggies of the Amish who keep their boats here. No charge for golf carts. Senior discount for sites. We invited friends who like it here and invited others. Would recommend!

Nice place

Great place to camp! Enjoyed it

Love this area!

We were only able to stay 3 days. We will return!!! Such a nice setting. We could hear the river rapids from our campfire. The visitor center ranger, Al, was exceptional!!! There’s so much to do in the area.

Love the campground

Beautiful facilities. Clean bathrooms. Lots of activities. Great play area for the kids!

Great stay

We stayed on two different sites over 5 days. A very busy park, lots of reservations.
The gate house was closed so we managed reservations by phone. Nice bathrooms and showers. All options available FHU, WE, primitive. Beautiful mountains and Lake. We visited the Grand Canyon of PA during our stay.

Quaint creekside campground

If you're looking for a nice place to disconnect from everyday, you found your spot. The Muddy Creek borders the campground on one side, which is a really nice backdrop.  Sites are generally open and not very private, but the general vibe of the campground is slow pace and relaxing so you don't really mind the lack of privacy. We stayed during October and they had a scavenger hunt and hayrides for the kids in the evenings. Kids loved it. My daughter came up big with her first trout out of the Muddy Creek. Bathhouses aren't the best, but get the job done. Overall a great place to unwind and have some lifelong memories with the kiddos.

Four star campground at best

Stayed at this location over the weekend. First time staying at this location. At first glance we were worried about what we booked into. We soon found that the staff was very friendly and helpful in making sure we had a correct location for the type of RV that we had. Campground is very peaceful and clean. Restrooms are a 5 star ⭐️ plus. Pool was closed due to the time of year but looks like it would be a lot of fun. Good location to all the Amish shops and restaurants. Some of the spots are small so be sure to ask about the size of the spot you are booking. Park is about 51% seasonal. Once more campgrounds need to make it mandatory that if you are seasonal you must wash your RV once a month. Dirty and stained RV’s make a park look run down.

Decent campground in a wonderful location

On the surface the campground is average. The secret it packs is the great town in which it shares it's name. You are 5 minutes from the wonderful town of Jim Thrope. Can't say the campground offers too much other than the basic campground experience. Though if coupled that with the opportunity to experience Jim Thrope, it sets the Jim Thrope Camping Resort apart.

My son, brother, and nephew tent camped. The tent sites are not very defined, level or rock free. Makes it fun searching for a good position within the site, kinda like roughing it in the actual wild… so not really a complaint. Sites are not very private or secluded. I could personally use a bit more privacy, not enough to be a deal breaker. Bathhouses are rougher, but usable and not dirty per se. Just rustic.

A major pro is access to the Switchback Trail from the campground. A wonderfully scenic trail.

Overall I would and plan on returning.

Great, clean family run resort

This is a great family run campground. The store is nice, bathhouses are clean and private. Owners are super nice. There is also a great view of the surrounding countryside because it’s up on a big hill. If you’re hauling a big camper you’ll need power for the hills.

Great little spot

Great smaller campground. Staff was friendly, general vibe was low key. A lot of year round sites. Only complaint being not a lot for the kids to do aside from ride bike. We did notice they have really nice tent sites that are all to themselves. Might be back to give those a try at some point

Ranger Review of Banner & Oak Women's Hoodie at Parker Dam State Park

Campground Review:

This is our second trip to Parker Dam State Park.   It is a beautiful PA state park.   It is quiet and peaceful.   The leaves were beginning to change.  This trip was chilly at night, but gorgeous weather during the day.  Bathroom/shower houses are a bit outdated, but clean.  We had a full hook up site.  They have pet loops as well.  If you want to stay in September, book early.  Limited cell service.   Spent time driving to Benezette - about 30 minute trip - to see the Elk.   Great experience seeing approximately 100 elk.  Several very large bulls.   Would recommend the campground and the trip to Benezette to everyone.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, we get products to test from time to time- today we tested the Banner & Oak Women's Hoodie. https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hoodies/products/freedom-heathered-black I so apologize because we were so busy watching the elk in Benezette, that we completely forgot to take photos of the product.  This hoodie is very soft! The sizing is accurate.  While it is not a thick sweatshirt material, it keeps you very comfortably warm.   I prefer the thinner material versus a thick and heavy sweatshirt.   It has become my "go to" hoodie.   Pros:  Lightweight, but very warm.   Con:  The pouch in front is actually 2 small pockets even though it looks like a pouch.   I'm not sure this is really a "con" because it depends on what style you prefer.  At first, I wasn't sure about it, but I am beginning to like it.  Wish the pockets would be a little bigger though.   Overall, I think this is a great lightweight hoodie and worth a purchase!

3+ car camping

Car tent camping. Big campground. Crowded even in late September. Sites are a decent size, but you’re really on top of one another here. We were lucky to find a spot that had empty sites on both sides (but people just on top of our site). Beautiful tall trees and shaded. Check in is sort of crazy. You have to drive a couple miles from the campground to the camp office to pick a site— which is difficult if you haven’t seen them. We picked one at the campground and I drove back to the office to claim it— hoping it wasn’t taken. It wasn’t. Also, sites are pretty expensive for camping— $38! Beautiful area tho.

Beautiful starry skies & trails!

Only was able to spend one night here but I’m excited to return ASAP! The night skies were beautiful (starry starry night w/little light pollution) and trails galore leading directly from the campground. Bathrooms were clean as well- an added bonus!

Great stay!!!

Thank you to Jay and Kelly for a wonderful 10 day stay at their campground. So much to do in the area, hiking, waterfalls, good eats, Bear Town Rocks, beautiful forests… We loved our campsite right on the small pond that is stocked with Carp and Koi. The seasonal campers made us feel so welcome and included us in trick-or-treat, potluck and a fun dance complete with DJ. Being able to use Passport America for a couple of days helps to make it affordable. Showers were clean and hot. Nice store, laundry. This is not a fancy campground but one we’ll love to come back to!

Free first come first server primitive sites .

Sites along river rd and millstone rd south of Belltown. There is a pit toilet for the sites where river rd meets millstone creek rd. Clean up and take your trash with you when you go.