The best camping in
Pennsylvania

Camping Pennsylvania

Fireflies illuminate Pennsylvania summer nights. Cricket song fills the air. In Autumn, a motley blaze of red and yellow leaves streaks the hillsides as a rich, earthy scent permeates the woods. Through all seasons, gurgling brooks and creeks weave their way through the countryside. Secret glens and mossy pools await. For centuries this landscape has attracted lovers of the outdoors, and there's no limit to opportunities for camping in Pennsylvania.

An indescribable yet unmistakably ancient energy fills Pennsylvania's wildernesses. It can be felt clearly in places like Bushkill Falls. There, in the "Niagara of Pennsylvania," explorers of all ages find fun and discovery.

A broad network of trails leads to and around eight beautiful waterfalls. The Twin Lakes wait for anglers. Curious travelers can explore three different historical exhibits, sluice for gemstones, or try their luck in the Bushkill Falls Mining Company Maze. Some people claim that if you stand still, close your eyes, and listen, you can feel the history ebbing and flowing around your feet at Bushkill Falls.

Pennsylvania's enormous population of majestic whitetail deer offer great surprises for nature-lovers camping in Pennsylvania. With a closely monitored population ranging from 1 to 1.5 million, Pennsylvania's white tail are famous for their size, grace, and beauty. Alert hikers and campers will likely catch a glimpse of these wonderful animals.

The Pennsylvania landscape is diverse and full of variety. With the Appalachian Mountains bisecting the state, the eastern and western halves are distinctive both culturally and geographically, but neither is lacking for natural wonders.

To the east, you can find camping near popular destinations like the Delaware Water Gap at the border between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. To the west, there's the fantastic Laurel Caverns, where visitors can experience a three-hour-long tour that goes 46 stories deep into the mountainside.

Pennsylvania has plenty of rivers for the aquatically inclined. Chief among them is the Susquehanna, the longest East Coast river draining into the Atlantic Ocean. This impressive waterway offers many opportunities for fishing, boating, and exploration. Folks camping in Pennsylvania may enjoy pitching their tent or parking their camper on the Susquehanna riverside.

All of this is just a small part of what the Keystone State offers to explorers of all kinds. Many more secrets wait nestled in the countryside, waiting to be discovered.

Recent Reviews in Pennsylvania
Great Old School Campground

We visited during the late part of the covid19 outbreak in late May of 2020. From the spacious sites, respectful staff and friendly seasonal campers we felt like we didn’t have a care in the world. Thank you Joe and Mary for telling us about the great trails and the campgrounds bucket load of wood for $35, made this pyro very happy. We shall return and we think this will be our favorite place to camp for the summer months.

Also can’t forget to mention on how close you are to the river. The boat launch is in great shape and with the close islands makes it great to put the kayaks in this huge gorgeous river! Then throw in Otter Creek… it’s a great adventure paddling up the creek.

Thank you Otter Creek for giving us the reset we needed to endure our upside down lives during these trying times!

Great place for whatever your passion

My wife Tammy and I just got back from the outflow rec camping area this is a perfect place to see Ohiopyle and the Laurel Highlands

Great place for a short Camping trip

We took our 8 month old on his first camping trip here Memorial Day weekend  and really lucked out.  After talking to some park rangers it was the first weekend in over a year that they had the campground open and fully operational.  There are brand new bathrooms and a shower house, water hook-ups, big sites that are mostly shaded. (They reduced the numbers of sites from around 50 to 35.)  There are some new looking cabins that we did not stay in.  Although the campsite was very nice, there isn't too much around to do yet.  The dam that used to be in the park has not been rebuilt so the lake is still drained, and the new swimming pool is under construction. Parts of the park seem like they have been abandoned, probably when they were forced to drain the lake.  The trails could use some work but are still there if you want to hike, and the ranger also mentioned their plans to build a new bike trail somewhere in the park.  If you are just trying to sleep in the woods and spend some nights camping this is perfect, take advantage while the facilities are new and it's easy to get a reservation.  And with the future improvements it will easily be 5/5.

Rude owners

Owners are unfriendly. All day we were complementing how nice this campground is. We were unsure why no one was camping here when Colonial woods down the road was so full. We were having a great time and lost track of time. At 10:05pm the owner came up to us and told us we were too loud And that we should pack our stuff up tomorrow and never come back. We will never come back here again and urge anyone not to support this campground. We have been to many campgrounds and have never been treated like this.

Comfortable, no frills, friendly

I'd like to start off my review by stating I just booked this campsite this week and we are staying here for just 2 nights.  We are in a transient site which doesn't have much shade and it is close to the main road (although separated by some trees and brush).

The campers and campground are very quiet.  Everyone has been welcoming.  The sites are large.  It seems to be mostly seasonal campers.  Because we are visiting during the Covid Pandemic, the pool and playgrounds are not open.  We were able to check out the bathhouse which is super clean, the showers are large and there is a separate area for "getting ready" so people won't loiter in the area in front of the sinks or in the shower stalls.

I've seen other reviews that complain about the roads.  They seem find to me.  They are packed stone and yes, there are occasional holes from runoff but I'm camping in the woods so I expect that.  The few cars traveling inside the campground were driving cautiously and I did not worry about my daughter riding her bike.

Beautiful State Park, Restful and Quiet Campground

I had the pleasure of staying three nights at Promised Land State Park; one in June 2018, the other two in July of that year. Our sites (383,385,402) were close to the bathhouse, a short walk away. Facilities were comparable to many state park campgrounds, and for the time of year, there were no wait times for shower or bathroom use.

During the July stay, there were reports of young orphaned bear cubs in the campsite area and we were asked to stow our food safely in a vehicle - our gear is a motorcycle and a Time Out trailer/tent that would not afford the sort of security for our food and belongings that was requested. The camp host kindly accommodated storage of our food and supplies overnight for as long as we stayed.

We did not get to see the entirety of the park, but did get to swim in the lake on premises. I will visit again and recommend this state park to anyone visiting the Poconos.

A+

Such an amazing area with great lodging. The staff was also so helpful.

Family Friendly

Great activities for kids. Clean. Friendly staff. Near to Knoebels amusement park which is a must visit too.

Sullivan County treasure

This is a great park. I have been coming here for many years.

Cabins are rustic and don’t have running water but they are clean and roomy. I think Cabin 8 is my favorite, it has a little loft and easy access to the creek.

Park Staff is very nice, they don’t have a problem if you call every few days asking how much snow they have…

There is a natural whirlpool with beach access and a small snack bar. The canyon vista trail is a great ski, High rock trail is my favorite trail. Great place to watch the sunrise!

Memorial Day weekend 2020

Nice area to camp. I have a 33 ft Rockwood pull behind. Regular site (not pull through) was snug to park in. Once parked and setup, site was nice with full hook up and fire ring. Very little for children to do. Playground on lowest level of mountain but no pool, ball court, game room, etc. And very snug coming down mountain to leave with a long rig