the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
Pennsylvania

Fireflies illuminate Pennsylvania summer nights. Cricket song fills the air. In Autumn, a motley blaze of red and yellow leaves streaks the hillsides as a rich, earthy scent permeates the woods. Through all seasons, gurgling brooks and creeks weave their way through the countryside. Secret glens and mossy pools await. For centuries this landscape has attracted lovers of the outdoors, and there's no limit to opportunities for camping in Pennsylvania.

An indescribable yet unmistakably ancient energy fills Pennsylvania's wildernesses. It can be felt clearly in places like Bushkill Falls. There, in the "Niagara of Pennsylvania," explorers of all ages find fun and discovery.

A broad network of trails leads to and around eight beautiful waterfalls. The Twin Lakes wait for anglers. Curious travelers can explore three different historical exhibits, sluice for gemstones, or try their luck in the Bushkill Falls Mining Company Maze. Some people claim that if you stand still, close your eyes, and listen, you can feel the history ebbing and flowing around your feet at Bushkill Falls.

Pennsylvania's enormous population of majestic whitetail deer offer great surprises for nature-lovers camping in Pennsylvania. With a closely monitored population ranging from 1 to 1.5 million, Pennsylvania's white tail are famous for their size, grace, and beauty. Alert hikers and campers will likely catch a glimpse of these wonderful animals.

The Pennsylvania landscape is diverse and full of variety. With the Appalachian Mountains bisecting the state, the eastern and western halves are distinctive both culturally and geographically, but neither is lacking for natural wonders.

To the east, you can find camping near popular destinations like the Delaware Water Gap at the border between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. To the west, there's the fantastic Laurel Caverns, where visitors can experience a three-hour-long tour that goes 46 stories deep into the mountainside.

Pennsylvania has plenty of rivers for the aquatically inclined. Chief among them is the Susquehanna, the longest East Coast river draining into the Atlantic Ocean. This impressive waterway offers many opportunities for fishing, boating, and exploration. Folks camping in Pennsylvania may enjoy pitching their tent or parking their camper on the Susquehanna riverside.

All of this is just a small part of what the Keystone State offers to explorers of all kinds. Many more secrets wait nestled in the countryside, waiting to be discovered.

Recent Reviews in Pennsylvania

This is a nice campground very laid-back. Not much to do at the campground but it is 20 minutes away from Knoebles. The fees are fairly cheap. Every time I have gone there I had a good time and I have gone here every summer for the last 20 years.

Great trails

Well maintained park

Fun fun!

Love going here with family and friends.

Love it!

Great place to go fishing!

Excellent

Perfect place for a family camping trip.

Fun for families!

It was nice for our family of five. Very convenient for the amusement park. Everyone was nice. The bathrooms were ok. I’ve seen much worse. We will be going again next year for sure!

Lots of activities for everyone

Beautiful lake for all water related activities. Trails are nice, although not as well-marked as some other places we’ve been. Excited to go cabin camping here in January!

My favorite close to home spot

Certain sites allow pets. My favorite site does, plus I can launch my kayak right from there! The only drawback is no alcohol allowed, but most State Parks are like that I think. All photos below are taken from my site.

Birch Run Appalachian Trail Shelter

Great spot located in a wooded area. Fresh flowing water in the front with an incline from beside & behind the shelter. There’s a newer built privy up hill. And the shelter is located between Quarry Gap & Tom’s Run.

Very nice and beautiful park!

Not only is it a beautiful area hike through or to tent in but there’s many interesting and historical spots located throughout Michaux Forest that are within hiking distance.

Avoid in summer!!

This place is packed with history, but amid going in summer.. it gets to busy and hot to see much.

Family fun

Campground is based around kids, there’s a lot for them to do!

Camp at Hickory Run all the time.

Love this state park. The dog area is very nice.

Great spot in PA

Very wooded and clean State Park. There is an Appalachian Trail Museum, tons of wildlife and a nice General Store here to see. Campsites were very private, and we met two of the greatest people and fellow campers ever! If traveling in an RV you will need to fill your fresh water tank as each site does not have water hook up. The cell service is “spotty” as they state on their website, but hey you are camping.

Very nice campground

Nice campground with good camper spots. Large spots. Nice cabins as well!

Nice, but worn campground

This is an older campground that has not had sufficient maintenance in recent years. Several examples include: 1) restrooms don't work, 2) roads need more gravel, 3) drainage is poor, etc. On wet days, I have slipped and slid going to and coming from the campsite, and in the campsite. Because restrooms don't work, there is a hike or car ride to one that does work. The campground staff are nice folks who are helpful. Unfortunately, they do not do a late evening tour of the campground to quiet the groups who are in full party mode from their nearby whitewater raft trip.

Great lakefront campground

This campground was nice. The campsites themselves were a bit small, but the lake and boating were great and the showers were good

Nice local park

Great for family fishing and paddle boarding

Great staff

Always something to do

Lots of good times

Great staff

Adventures to be had

Saw a bear, porcupine

Amazing owners!

I was here in May 2018, the sites are nice and big and the owners are very warm and welcoming! Will be back next year!

Love Halloween weekend

My kids loved the Halloween weekend! Will definitely come back!

Beware the stone quarry

Was not happy with the service or our tent site. There is apparently a stone quarry behind the campground that runs 24/7, which is loud. I have 2 autistic children with me (that love camping) but we were all kept up all night with loud noises. Thankfully, they didn’t do any “blasting” When we where here. Yes, blasting, I was told a siren goes off and there are loud blast. I initially asked if we could move our sites and I was told “you can hear it through the whole campground”, i then asked if we could rent a cabin on the other side of the campground. I was told no because I had my dogs with me. Poor customer service, you can’t make an exception?! There is no warning about the quarry or I would have never booked here. Never again!

Perfect place to see the stars

Cherry Springs had a great campground with decent space between campsites. Each campsite had a fire pit and a picnic table and most had trees behind them. We stayed in a drive up site that was close to the restrooms and had a clear field near us to look up and stargaze.

Very well manicured

This Park is clean, well maintained, and well manicured. I enjoyed the Nature Inn and surrounding area more than the campsites. The camp hosts were strange and were not helpful. I had to go find my own site, see if the electric worked because they were having issues, then check myself in, and still had to pay a booking fee when I did all the work! A very family oriented campground, nothing wrong with that, except everyone stared at me and made me uncomfortable because I was camping alone. I would greet people and get no response so I gave up. The next morning on my quest to find coffee, I found the Nature Inn and it, the staff, and the view were awesome. I spent quite awhile there, relaxing, enjoying my coffee, the lake view, the birds, and taking lots of photos. I do plan to visit the Inn again but not the campground.

Friendly and personable!

I was traveling alone and was looking for something about an hour away when I used my Dyrt app to locate a recommended campground. Benner’s popped up near Ohiopyle State Park. I spoke with Mary Lou on the phone to make my reservations and she informed me she would be leaving at 5pm. Well, my GPS said I wasn’t due to arrive until 5:10 and, of course, there were delays. When I got there, well after 5pm, Mary Lou was waiting for me! I apparently was the only tent camper but still, she made sure I had everything I needed for my one might stay, and set me up close to the bathhouse. They were older but clean and well maintained as was the whole campground. They had a variety of cabins, some open year-round. Since it was off season the pool was closed but that just made want to come back in the summer. There also was a putt-putt course and a star-gazing point/trail. Looks like there were also rustic campsites but I would call to be sure if that is your preference. This is mainly an RV Park but plenty of tent with electric and water sites. Plenty of wildlife!!!! As I already mentioned, it’s close to the state park as well as Falling Waters, a Casino, and a great coffee shop.

Wonderful family fun!

We had such a fun time during the summer between the pool, fishing at the pond and all the amazing amenities!! Just walking around the campground is beautiful. Will definitely come back, the best campground for complete family fun!

Family friendly and wonderful people

Stayed here 3x each time in October as they are very close to the PA Renaissance Fair. Easy to get to and beautiful setting, gorgeous trees and feels very woodsy. Pond is okay, could be nicer. It can be noisy near the highway so we always try to get furthest campsite away. Wonderful and kind people work here and lots of activities for kids to do!!

Lots of space

Spent 2 nights at Gettysburg KOA in July while touring Pennsylvania with granddaughter. Very convenient to historical stuff. Large sites, separated by rocks and trees. Quiet and private. It is a KOA, so was pleasantly surprised.