the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
Pennsylvania

Fireflies illuminate Pennsylvania summer nights. Cricket song fills the air. In Autumn, a motley blaze of red and yellow leaves streaks the hillsides as a rich, earthy scent permeates the woods. Through all seasons, gurgling brooks and creeks weave their way through the countryside. Secret glens and mossy pools await. For centuries this landscape has attracted lovers of the outdoors, and there's no limit to opportunities for camping in Pennsylvania.

An indescribable yet unmistakably ancient energy fills Pennsylvania's wildernesses. It can be felt clearly in places like Bushkill Falls. There, in the "Niagara of Pennsylvania," explorers of all ages find fun and discovery.

A broad network of trails leads to and around eight beautiful waterfalls. The Twin Lakes wait for anglers. Curious travelers can explore three different historical exhibits, sluice for gemstones, or try their luck in the Bushkill Falls Mining Company Maze. Some people claim that if you stand still, close your eyes, and listen, you can feel the history ebbing and flowing around your feet at Bushkill Falls.

Pennsylvania's enormous population of majestic whitetail deer offer great surprises for nature-lovers camping in Pennsylvania. With a closely monitored population ranging from 1 to 1.5 million, Pennsylvania's white tail are famous for their size, grace, and beauty. Alert hikers and campers will likely catch a glimpse of these wonderful animals.

The Pennsylvania landscape is diverse and full of variety. With the Appalachian Mountains bisecting the state, the eastern and western halves are distinctive both culturally and geographically, but neither is lacking for natural wonders.

To the east, you can find camping near popular destinations like the Delaware Water Gap at the border between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. To the west, there's the fantastic Laurel Caverns, where visitors can experience a three-hour-long tour that goes 46 stories deep into the mountainside.

Pennsylvania has plenty of rivers for the aquatically inclined. Chief among them is the Susquehanna, the longest East Coast river draining into the Atlantic Ocean. This impressive waterway offers many opportunities for fishing, boating, and exploration. Folks camping in Pennsylvania may enjoy pitching their tent or parking their camper on the Susquehanna riverside.

All of this is just a small part of what the Keystone State offers to explorers of all kinds. Many more secrets wait nestled in the countryside, waiting to be discovered.

EXPLORE PENNSYLVANIA
Recent Reviews in Pennsylvania
Camp at Hickory Run all the time.

Love this state park. The dog area is very nice.

Great spot in PA

Very wooded and clean State Park. There is an Appalachian Trail Museum, tons of wildlife and a nice General Store here to see. Campsites were very private, and we met two of the greatest people and fellow campers ever! If traveling in an RV you will need to fill your fresh water tank as each site does not have water hook up. The cell service is “spotty” as they state on their website, but hey you are camping.

Very nice campground

Nice campground with good camper spots. Large spots. Nice cabins as well!

Nice, but worn campground

This is an older campground that has not had sufficient maintenance in recent years. Several examples include: 1) restrooms don't work, 2) roads need more gravel, 3) drainage is poor, etc. On wet days, I have slipped and slid going to and coming from the campsite, and in the campsite. Because restrooms don't work, there is a hike or car ride to one that does work. The campground staff are nice folks who are helpful. Unfortunately, they do not do a late evening tour of the campground to quiet the groups who are in full party mode from their nearby whitewater raft trip.

Great lakefront campground

This campground was nice. The campsites themselves were a bit small, but the lake and boating were great and the showers were good

Nice local park

Great for family fishing and paddle boarding

Great staff

Always something to do

Lots of good times

Great staff

Adventures to be had

Saw a bear, porcupine

Amazing owners!

I was here in May 2018, the sites are nice and big and the owners are very warm and welcoming! Will be back next year!

Love Halloween weekend

My kids loved the Halloween weekend! Will definitely come back!

Beware the stone quarry

Was not happy with the service or our tent site. There is apparently a stone quarry behind the campground that runs 24/7, which is loud. I have 2 autistic children with me (that love camping) but we were all kept up all night with loud noises. Thankfully, they didn’t do any “blasting” When we where here. Yes, blasting, I was told a siren goes off and there are loud blast. I initially asked if we could move our sites and I was told “you can hear it through the whole campground”, i then asked if we could rent a cabin on the other side of the campground. I was told no because I had my dogs with me. Poor customer service, you can’t make an exception?! There is no warning about the quarry or I would have never booked here. Never again!

Perfect place to see the stars

Cherry Springs had a great campground with decent space between campsites. Each campsite had a fire pit and a picnic table and most had trees behind them. We stayed in a drive up site that was close to the restrooms and had a clear field near us to look up and stargaze.

Very well manicured

This Park is clean, well maintained, and well manicured. I enjoyed the Nature Inn and surrounding area more than the campsites. The camp hosts were strange and were not helpful. I had to go find my own site, see if the electric worked because they were having issues, then check myself in, and still had to pay a booking fee when I did all the work! A very family oriented campground, nothing wrong with that, except everyone stared at me and made me uncomfortable because I was camping alone. I would greet people and get no response so I gave up. The next morning on my quest to find coffee, I found the Nature Inn and it, the staff, and the view were awesome. I spent quite awhile there, relaxing, enjoying my coffee, the lake view, the birds, and taking lots of photos. I do plan to visit the Inn again but not the campground.

Friendly and personable!

I was traveling alone and was looking for something about an hour away when I used my Dyrt app to locate a recommended campground. Benner’s popped up near Ohiopyle State Park. I spoke with Mary Lou on the phone to make my reservations and she informed me she would be leaving at 5pm. Well, my GPS said I wasn’t due to arrive until 5:10 and, of course, there were delays. When I got there, well after 5pm, Mary Lou was waiting for me! I apparently was the only tent camper but still, she made sure I had everything I needed for my one might stay, and set me up close to the bathhouse. They were older but clean and well maintained as was the whole campground. They had a variety of cabins, some open year-round. Since it was off season the pool was closed but that just made want to come back in the summer. There also was a putt-putt course and a star-gazing point/trail. Looks like there were also rustic campsites but I would call to be sure if that is your preference. This is mainly an RV Park but plenty of tent with electric and water sites. Plenty of wildlife!!!! As I already mentioned, it’s close to the state park as well as Falling Waters, a Casino, and a great coffee shop.

Wonderful family fun!

We had such a fun time during the summer between the pool, fishing at the pond and all the amazing amenities!! Just walking around the campground is beautiful. Will definitely come back, the best campground for complete family fun!

Family friendly and wonderful people

Stayed here 3x each time in October as they are very close to the PA Renaissance Fair. Easy to get to and beautiful setting, gorgeous trees and feels very woodsy. Pond is okay, could be nicer. It can be noisy near the highway so we always try to get furthest campsite away. Wonderful and kind people work here and lots of activities for kids to do!!

Lots of space

Spent 2 nights at Gettysburg KOA in July while touring Pennsylvania with granddaughter. Very convenient to historical stuff. Large sites, separated by rocks and trees. Quiet and private. It is a KOA, so was pleasantly surprised.

Nice family campground

Spent several nights at Brandywine Creek campground in July, in the middle of a 6 week trip with our granddaughter. Quite, well kept camp. Clean showers. Nice pool. Close to Valley Forge military park, and convenient to Philadelphia by train.

Simple and close to Knoebels!

Very well maintained campground very close to Knoebels. This was the last weekend they were open. Kind of upset you do not get to choose your site. We would have preferred a site near the giant open field that backs up to the road, whereas people that were actually put there preferred the site we had instead. It is kind of noisy due to the traffic on the road but that would not have bothered us. Sites were pretty close to each other. You'll get to know your neighbors. Acorns fell off the trees and hit the camper all day and night. Playground is a bit too small, but the fishing pond is pretty. Most of the nicer "waterfront" sites are reserved for their seasonals. We weren't looking too much for an amenity filled campground but preferred a full hook up campground close to Knoebels. We will most likely stay here again next year. We camped at J & D Campgrounds in a Travel Trailer.

Perfect for Stargazing

We mainly came to this camp ground for stargazing and it was awesome! We brought our own telescope and set it up but there were a lot of people with telescopes willing to share with people who didn't have one.

We LOVED Camping here

We had a lot of fun camping here. There are some great hikes in the area. The campsites are pretty close to each other but we ended up making friends. Make sure to bring your telescope!

We LOVED Camping Here

We had a blast camping here and we went when it was 15 degrees out. So, we were a little hesitant at first but we had a lot of fun. Bring your bikes if you have them. It's a lot of fun to bike around and to bike into the little town. I recommend going when the leaves are changing!

K.O.Amazing!!!

Fishing available!!! Big sell for me

Great location, amenities could be better

Great river front location! Could be a bit muddy depending on the river. The train does run right near all night long, but I find it soothing. Bath houses are a bit rough, hence the 4 stars. Great place to kayak tube or hang out in the river. Close to Appalachian Trail. No playground.

Great cabins!

We come here every year for a family reunion and always rent one of the cabins. We love coming here. The park is huge and there are lots of things to do. You can go to the beach, kayak, hike, or go outside the park to explore some caves or a bat church. We will continue to come here every year!

Well kept campground and facilities. We’ve been there several times because it’s so close. The river sites are great but can get muddy and there is a big hill to get up and out. The pool is nice, they have a store and a playground.

Tried a new place

This campground has lots of spots that are open field setup. We was lucky enough to get a spot in the wooded area. The store is cute, and we attended the weekend of the campers yard sale which was an awesome experience. The pool is nicly sized, and comfortable temperature.

Feels like Home!

We’ve camped here many of times throughout the last few years and it’s such a home feeling environment. The store front has anything you can think of, and the playground is conveniently located. The swimming pool is always cold but feels great on a nice hot day

Family packed fun!

We had a wonderful experience, the ground is setup nicely. The staff is so warm and welcoming. Really enjoyed all the activities.