Armour, SOUTH DAKOTA

Most Recent Armour Camping Reviews
Great small town campground.

This Campground has 3 pull through RV sites with 50 amp, 30 amp and 4 110 electric hook-ups. It has 6 back into sites and they also have a full compliment of electric hook-ups. There is no water available in the winter months, but, two hydrants for potable water in the summer months.

This campground has 2 cabins available.

No fires allowed, no sewer, no on site water hook-ups. They have picnic tables available for each site and fixed picnic shelters in the back into sites.

There is a wonderful gravel walking path that goes around two man made lakes in the park. There are bridges that allow access to the peninsula that cuts the two lakes in half. They have a fishing dock.

There is a large bird feeder station and benches so you can watch the different varieties of birds eat.

You can drive around the complete site on a well maintained gravel road.

There is a large children's playground.

There is a sewer dump station.

Nice community campground.

I believe there are 11 sites. 2 sites have 50 amp, 30 amp and 110 electrics. The rest of the sites have 30 amp and 110 electrics. 8 of these 11 sites have butt-up campsites, that is to say eight campers can fit into four sites, each with there own electric hook-ups. No water hook-ups, no sewer hook-ups. 2 different picnic shelters with tables, no picnic tables at the campsites. Tennis courts and a children's playground located near at hand. Toilets open during summer months only. This is a friendly community with many stores downtown.

Parking lot with electrics.

I always find it difficult reviewing this type of camping area. It is a parking lot with 3 sites that have 50amp, 30 amp and 2 110 electrical hook-ups. There is no water, no sewer and the bathrooms are closed during the winter. It has adjacent to it horseshoe pits, picnic shelter with tables and a large children's playground and 2 sand volleyball lots. No fires are allowed. This campground is located in city limits.

Quaint campground located in town.

This campground has 6 sites. One is a RV pull through and five are back into sites. They all have water and sewer hook-ups with 50 amp, 30 amp and 110 electrical posts. There is a toilet house that is closed during the winter. Garbage dumpster. Tennis courts, swimming pool, picnic shelter and large children's playgrounds bordering the campgrounds. There are no fire pits or rings because this is located in town and fires are not allowed.

This is a small cozy campground.

On the east side of the Campgrounds are 5 paved pads. Electric hook ups include 50 amp, 30 amp and 2 110 plug ins. On the west side of Campgrounds there are 6 sites all grassy rock pads. The west side offers 30 amp and 110 plug ins. Picnic tables located at each site plus three shelters with electrics and picnic tables. One unisex pit toilet located on the west side. There is a pit toilet in the middle which looks like a stone shell, honestly, it would work in an emergency…lol…it's simply barbaric and there is nothing comfortable connected with it. They have a metal dock you can fish off of that is ADA accessible. There is also a boat ramp and dock located towards the north west end of campgrounds. There is a small play ground for children. Lake surrounds one side and private property around the rest of the grounds, this makes hiking and the such out of the question. We did not see any dump station, there are no water hook-ups except for the fish cleaning station and I don't know if that source is potable. Each side of grounds have red boxes you can drop your payment into. The campgrounds charge $10.00 a night to stay there for a maximum of 7 nights. It is located 2 miles off highway US 18 and 3 or 4 miles from town.

Still closed Nov. 06, 2019

Flooding of the James River has shut down this campground, as of November 06, 2019 it is still closed. It is unknown when the city will get it re-opened. I will do my best to keep this post updated.

An overnight stop off.

This is really just a parking lot with electrical hook ups. Few trees for shade. Ok for an overnight stop on your way to anywhere else. Community is pleasant.

Small Quiet Clean Campgrounds

Wow, if you want peace and quiet, here you go. This campground has a brand new shower/toilet house. There is a playground located in the middle of the Campgrounds for children. Sites were borderline small to normal size. Camp locations in the middle of grounds have no shade. There is a boat access road runs next to grounds and seems to be busy most days. No water or dump hook ups at sites. They have 50 amp - 30 amp - 110 power provided at each site. Handicap site available next to bath house.

Super clean, large campgrounds.

North bordering the Campgrounds is a four lane road that can take you to Gavin's Point Dam, Fish Hatchery and into Yankton (closest town). In the height of the season trustees from near by State Penitentiary come to clean, mow and other odd jobs like cleaning fire puts as soon as someone leaves. The lay out of the Campgrounds is long and narrow. The sites are back into black topped with grass around your location. Stores are located within 2 or 3 miles of grounds. The grounds has play areas for children, walking, bike paths that are black topped and river access. Check in is around 4:00pm (they don't say a thing if you come early and no one is in your site). Grounds have a gift shop, firewood purchase and helpful people at information area. Dump stations are extremely easy to access and use.

Located between small town and golf course.

This is a quiet small campground. A road to the golf course cuts the Campgrounds in two. We stayed on the side next to a farmers field and enjoyed watching nearly 30 deer coming in at night and going out in the morning. Campgrounds is clean and tidy. Toilet rooms are old but was told by campground host slated to be torn down and new put up. The town (Springfield) is located up a small hill to the west of campground (borders campground) and the golf course borders the east side of grounds. The Missouri River runs to the south of the grounds.

Entry road washed completely out.

As of November 08. 2019 the road is fixed and the campgrounds are open.

My wife and I went to this campgrounds in July. The road was washed out (deep ravine) so we walked in. Campgrounds have a vault toilet building with water near building. 5 or 6 primative camp sites. The grounds were not kept up at this time (understandable of course). Great views of the Missouri River, not much there after. Shade was plentiful. Breeze coming off river. In my opinion, a nice quiet primitive location.

Neat location. But the cottonwoods...

This is a great campground on the west band of the Missouri River. Very nice and well kept facilities but beware there are lots of cottonwoods and at times during our stay it looked like it was snowing.

Access to this area is off highway 44 but be prepared for several miles of minimally maintained dirt road (with some big hills) to get there. I'd stay here again but I'd also research when the cottonwoods are not shedding their seeds.

Great little spot

This was a perfect spot about 10 miles south of I-90. There are only two back in rv sites about 35’ long, they each have 30amp. There’s a water spout but it’s a little far from the spots…a 50’ hose might work to fill up. A diner is within walking distance, it’s super quaint with delicious ice cream and fries! This is a great location for an overnight spot.

Lake Francis Case and North Point Recreation Area

We found this place to be quiet and peaceful. It has been dealing this year with high water and water damage to campsites and trails but the facilities are nice. The staff was helpful and courteous and we enjoyed our stay (4 days and 3 nights). We pleasure boated but fishing is a big deal here and the area is not commercialized. The water was mostly calm and warm. The boat docks were in good shape and easy to access. There are bike/walking trails but not very long. Pickstown SD is right next door and offers limited commercial establishments because it is 225 population. Nice beaches here but some were impacted by high water. The Fort Randall Hotel and Casino is close by for some food and entertainment.

Peaceful, well maintained campground

Campers were mostly in RVs, I was in a tent and not surrounded by many others. Bathrooms and showers were very clean and well maintained and the owner was nice and gave us tips on things to do in the rest of South Dakota!

Peaceful, well maintained campground

nice place to spend the night

Spent a night in route to the Badlands and was happy enough with the experience.  I felt like the sites were a bit close together, but for a night that wasn't a huge concern.  Seems like during a busy weekend it could get loud and chaotic, but on a week night in the fall it was nice.

Enjoyed the water setting!  After driving a day of driving and checking out the Corn Palace, just 5 minutes away,  it was nice to be in nature again in a lovely location :)  Facilities were clean and the staff we encountered were friendly.

If you have a tent I encourage you to choose a tent only site since they are more secluded.

Great overnight stop

People are super nice. Easy access. Plenty of room. Very clean. Well shaded but they parked us perfectly so we could get Direct signal. Pool was out of service & mini golf was old. But we needed a site to sleep. Stayed three nights and toured the area.

Beautiful But Without Water in the Off Season

Electric sites by the highway near the park entrance, but don't overlook the 4 RV sites by the fishing pond. Cabins, primitive camping, hiking, and lovely scenery.

Campsite #43 is the only site with what I would call a view, but the view from there is excellent. The hiking was great. The area is pretty cool with Native American exhibits, the casino, and Lewis and Clark Lake nearby.

Though we loved the scenery and wanted to stay, the park had shut off all the water. We expected the $15 off-season price since there were no longer horse rides, pool or other activities but there were no showers or restrooms in the RV site. No water to wash dishes in!

The regular season is $20 a night but they are discussing raising that. Don't bother with the off-season.

Also, see my reviews of Crofton and Verdigre. Camping there is not as nice but they are close and more affordable.

Beautiful area to explore

This campground features cabins and tent camping. Designed for families, there is a playground and lots of open space for the kids to run around. Pets are welcome. There is a small pond stocked for fishing right in the middle of the tent camping area. Take a short hike to see where the Niobrara river dumps into the Missouri and take in some of the best views in Nebraska. In the winter months, hunters often use the cabins as home base and hunt in the surrounding woods.

Nowhere with a river

Not to be mistaken as Fort Niobrara, Niobrara State Park , NE is near Niobrara and Verdel, NE. The popular Niobrara River runs along the far side of the park and one of the attractions is the old train bridge which is now part of the converted trail that you can explore.

When we arrived the 80 degree temperatures from Kentucky did not arrive with us. The weather was windy, sprinkling and dropping with the sun. The night time low was about 43 degrees. I learned on another trip to pack all temperature range clothing especially this time of year, so I had my sniffle gear. We were one of three occupied sites in the campground. The other two sites had RV’s , I decided on truck camping and was glad I did.

The actual campground is spacious and had some trees. The showerhouse was well maintained and something new to me had pay showers. I hadn’t packed any quarters but have now added another helpful tidbit to my list of must haves while camping. (Roll of quarters, check) I attempted to leave my windows open after throwing a tarp over the truck but even though the temperature was low the mosquitoes were FIERCE! I don’t even want to know how bad they are in warm weather. So with the truck closed up we snuggled in for the night. I was a little surprised when I was woken by my dogs barking at coyotes that could be heard very nearby. Considering how sparsely populated the area is it shouldn’t have been that surprising, you really feel like your out in the middle of nowhere. Just shows how Northern I am ;) I was disappointed it was overcast , the sky would have been phenomenal with no lights to ruin the view.

This Park is laid out in a “horseshoe” and speed restrictions make it a long drive from end to end. The visitors center has some helpful employees that were very informative. Not surprisingly the river is the big draw in the area. The Ranger I spoke to said that there was a reinactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition due in that weekend. I was directed to the trailhead further in past the several cabins sitting in opportune locations along the road. The trail was moderately technical and you get to walk across the Niobrara on an old train bridge converted to a walkway. Unfortunately the far side was closed. There is also a horse trail ride offered (which would have been interesting with the boys).

The one con of the campground is that though you have an excellent view of the Niobrara River there is no easy access to it from the sites. Definitely a destination campground if you enjoy the river sports.

Look for it

Pease Creek Recreation Area is off the Missouri River out in the middle of nowhere but if you are a water/fishing person it is worth the drive for a quiet, laid back vacation.

South Dakota has some long straight roads and the GPS worked most of the time as well as cell phone signal. It would on occasion drop off so make sure you have your trusty map. The signage in was good and don’t be surprised when you hit gravel roads, just slow down ;)

The campground was pretty quiet and mostly deserted when we overnighted. It was dark, quiet and plenty of sites to choose from. Basic hook up, plenty of space to set up in, more of an RV geared campground. The area was well maintained but facilities could use an update/good cleaning.

Right outside the area is a privately owned campground that looked like it was expanding so that will add to the boatramp traffic and noise. It was more of a permanent RV area but may have short term rentals.

There was hiking to be had and horses were allowed but it’s definitely a water recreation area. Due to the weather , 40’s when we visited and raining we did not get to enjoy the water like I had wanted. Town is not nearby so fuel up and stock up before driving out!

Nice spot on way to Black Hills

Stayed at Mitchell KOA in our way to the Black Hills. Large, level sites. Pool and mini golf. I didn’t see it, but my wife and granddaughter said the shower on the women’s side was FANTASTIC! Nice dog run. And the Corn Palace!

Stopped at Mitchell KOA again this year when we had car problems on I-90. Spent 3 days stuck at the campground. Lucky they have nice shady sites, lots of room and a friendly staff. Unfortunately, they no longer have the nice shower my wife liked!

Color me surprised;)

More then once as a Dyrt Ranger I have searched in vain for a campsite listed on a map. I was completely surprised when I found the Tyndall City Park AND it had places to camp!

When you first drive to the park it looks like your typical city park, nice fishing pond for the kids , cemented walking path, ballfields, disc golf, etc. But then down at the very end next to the ballfields are electric hookups and parking for RVs! Mind you this is no luxury campground, it’s the basics. On further exploration of the immediate area I came to the conclusion that this site is probably mostly used by visiting participants in 4H. There is a 4H complex across the street from the hookups.

The park is located off the local neighborhood and quiet. There is no shade at the RV sites. No picnic tables or fire rings on the cement lot where the electric boxes are located. This is definitely an event oriented “campground” or overnight/visiting relatives pit stop. There is an honor box and small latrine near the sites. No privacy if it’s busy but we were totally alone and saw few people when we visited.

The dogs enjoyed the walk around the fishing pond and it was a very relaxed atmosphere, at least to me. I did not attempt to start a fire, no one to ask if I could and no fire rings. There was a grass area by the camp sites with picnic tables and shade, you could easily put a tent/hammock in that area but I don’t know if it’s permitted.

Overall a useful area, in town, near shopping and fuel but not a vacation destination in my opinion.

Nice, clean campground

Stayed here on the last night of a 2 week road trip. Didn't get in until very late but there was still a few sites open that you could pay for one entering the campground. Bathrooms were nice and clean and the campsites were solidly spread out. Our campsite was literally right next to the lake!

nice friendly site

We did a one night stop and got a nice long pull through so no need to unhook the car and trailer. very dog friendly with a nice dog park area. surrounded by fields manager was very nice

Scenic Seclusion

Beautiful views of the Missouri and Niobrara atop hervily wooded hills. Tent sites are either along the paved 1 way road or farther back in the trees of the hills via a short trail. Vault toilets are plentiful as well as water spigots. Has several nice trails and points of interest. Was very clean theoughout and well cared for. Also offers cabins and an RV campground.

Awesome

Stayed at campsite through Sharps Outfitters and kayaked as well. Awesome trip very pretty!!

Nice small campground

Very nice small campground. Very clean. Must have reservations to stay. Weekends are typically booked during the summer but during the week can usually have any spot. The site is divided up into 2 areas about 10 sites in each area. Sites 1thru 11 are on the river. Sites 12 thru 20 are not. No beach at campground.

Beautiful scenery, plenty of activities and history!

We stayed in our camper on the RV campground. I like that the RV's are not so close together! It qlwas quiet, scenic, lots of things to do. People genuinely seem to enjoy themselves. Lots of animal sightings, birds, and wild flowers, etc. You can get a real feel for the country out here. The ONLY drawback is needing quarters for a shower….but they do have a change machine.