About Big Sioux State Rec Area
Big Sioux State Rec Area is located in South Dakota
7 Reviews of Big Sioux State Rec Area
Ok place to spend the night, but could have been better

I spent the night here and had to pay the entrance fee to the park as well as the camping fee for my tentsite. They had only a few tentsites available amid all the RV sites, but they were right on the edge of the playground, so the families had to walk right through my campsite to get to the play area. Not too big a deal as no one wanted to use the play area at night while I was sleeping, but still.  I also looked over at the power lines. There was a flush toilet facility close by but there was a very bright light on all night. Good for families needing to navigate in the dark but not wonderful if you like sleeping in darkness. And though I was told that quiet hours began at 10PM, the site next to me was quite loud through the trees until at least midnight so the quiet hours are not enforced. Meh. I don't think I'll be going back.

Beautiful and peaceful

Heading home needed a one night camp spot. This one fit the bill.
Located in Brandon not far from Sioux Falls. Clean bathrooms with showers. Firewood available to purchase. Each site has a picnic table and fire ring. Bike and hiking trails. Plus plenty of privacy. Definitely will return.

Lots of shade and grass!

We stayed here in a travel trailer. The site was level with lots of shade and grass. Spacious sites,not too close. Our site was along the river but it wasn't easy to access the water from our site. The biking, walking trail was great! Lots of bugs and mosquitoes. It was very quiet here, and the rangers were really nice. We had electricity and could access water close by. Only a long drop toilet nearby, but there were bath houses. There was firewood for sale at the entrance.

Peaceful

We have stayed here many times. Nice quiet state campground. Our site was nice, level, spacious, and had plenty of grass coverage (instead of dirt). Bugs were a pain but not much you can do about that. Bike trails are awesome.

Fun weekend away!

Just outside of Sioux Falls. Stayed here for a night on the way to the black hills. It was a nice campground right on the Sioux River. The restrooms were well maintained. Did a quick day trip to Falls park.

Great Kayaking

Beautiful area, very shaded by trees in the RV camping spots. Clean bathrooms. Quiet camp grounds and easy access to the river. Loading area for kayaks and canoes right next to the campgrounds.

Nice campground with friendly people

We visited here June 2012 while on our way to Mt Rushmore. The campground was neat and had a playground with a field for kids to play. The sites were leveled dirt/gravel and shaded with electric. The temps were very cool at night in the Summer which was awesome. They sold firewood at front station. Amenities: hiking, biking, canoeing. The campground was close to a neighborhood and we met some local residents at the playground area. They told us about a nearby attraction called Falls Park in Sioux Falls. This was a crazy place to just be in the middle of town but oh so beautiful!