Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 75 ft.
Big Sioux Recreation Area is located in South Dakota
13 Reviews of Big Sioux Recreation Area
Eastern South Dakota Gem

South Dakota State Park, Brandon SD. Great stop. We spent 2 days. Very nice campground with lots to do and see. Big spacious sites ours backed up to the bike path and river. New bathhouse entire park was very clean. About half hour to Sioux Falls. Worth the trip to see the Falls and the bike/hike trail around the city.

Convenient camping near Sioux Falls

This Recreation Area is large and  located off the Sioux River, which was slow flowing when I visited. It’s not the most picturesque river I’ve seen, so if you’re looking for that look further. However, because it was slow moving it made for a nice round trip paddle.

Easy access from 90W, not much road noise and close to the town of Brandon for supplies.

There’s a fantastic disc golf course complete with a creaky suspension foot bridge that spans the fiver.

Great hiking and biking trails too. I hiked the Valley of the Giants trail, which earns its name because of the many old, “giant” oaks in this river bottom area. It’s an easy hike with one slight incline/decline, but the loop was curtailed by a giant felled oak tree.  The path was completely covered and no matter which way I tried I couldn’t see the trail it had become so overgrown. Sadly it seems that this has been the fate of several the the Giants, perhaps due to the river flooding.

The campground has gravel pads. My site backed up to the river but there was a bushy berm and the bike/walking bath between the site and the river. No problem to access the river though because there are little paths worn through the bushes. Lots of trees for shade and good space between sites. There’s electric but no water at site. Fill up by the restrooms or before you come. Picnic table and fire ring with grill connected. Fire ring is on a cement pad. I’d never seen that before.

There are also  cabins for rent and when I was there the restrooms looked clean and functional.  Picnic shelter and gazebo are on site as well as the Bergeson’s Homestead. It’s always nice to see history being preserved like this! When I’m passing through this area again, I’ll revisit this recreation area.

Quiet, good paved bike path

Very nice, well kept state recreation area along the Big Sioux River. Large campsites and nice cabins, too. Rode our bikes from the campsite along the river. You can ride into Brandon if you like. Big trees, lots of shade, nice people.

Very nice, spacious sites

Really nice campground, wide spacious sites, lots of trees, bathrooms/showers were very clean, staff patrolled the area and was very friendly, bike trails. Not too far from downtown Sioux Falls. 50A, no water/sewer. Site 30E had DISH coverage.

Fun campground!

Lots of trails for hiking!

Beautiful area with many recreational activities.

This park is tucked in the middle of a Brandon neighborhood. I've always been a tenter in the past. I am new to RV camping. I was pleasantly surprised how much space there was between each campsite. We stayed in 37E. It was level as most of the sites appeared to be. It's spring now so the trees are just starting to bud but this site will have some shade and privacy when everything blooms. The picnic table and fire ring were clean and in good repair. I enjoyed my stay here. My only criticism is the overly full vault toilets. I'll spare you the details but it was un pleasant. I would visit again!

Ok place to spend the night, but could have been better

I spent the night here and had to pay the entrance fee to the park as well as the camping fee for my tentsite. They had only a few tentsites available amid all the RV sites, but they were right on the edge of the playground, so the families had to walk right through my campsite to get to the play area. Not too big a deal as no one wanted to use the play area at night while I was sleeping, but still.  I also looked over at the power lines. There was a flush toilet facility close by but there was a very bright light on all night. Good for families needing to navigate in the dark but not wonderful if you like sleeping in darkness. And though I was told that quiet hours began at 10PM, the site next to me was quite loud through the trees until at least midnight so the quiet hours are not enforced. Meh. I don't think I'll be going back.

Beautiful and peaceful

Heading home needed a one night camp spot. This one fit the bill.
Located in Brandon not far from Sioux Falls. Clean bathrooms with showers. Firewood available to purchase. Each site has a picnic table and fire ring. Bike and hiking trails. Plus plenty of privacy. Definitely will return.

Lots of shade and grass!

We stayed here in a travel trailer. The site was level with lots of shade and grass. Spacious sites,not too close. Our site was along the river but it wasn't easy to access the water from our site. The biking, walking trail was great! Lots of bugs and mosquitoes. It was very quiet here, and the rangers were really nice. We had electricity and could access water close by. Only a long drop toilet nearby, but there were bath houses. There was firewood for sale at the entrance.

Peaceful

We have stayed here many times. Nice quiet state campground. Our site was nice, level, spacious, and had plenty of grass coverage (instead of dirt). Bugs were a pain but not much you can do about that. Bike trails are awesome.