Equestrian
KoA
Mount Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch is located in South Dakota
17 Reviews of Mount Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch
Disney Camping

We desperately needed showers and a place to park for the night. We knew what KOAs had/have to offer, so we had the right mindset. We were packed in like sardines and up against the small cabins(thinking they might have been disappointed with their view). Showers were warm and the amenities were plentiful. We took advantage of the bar for a drink and salad. In the morning we enjoyed a coffee and toasted bagel. The surrounding mountains were beautiful and the people watching was spot on.

Huge KOA with tons of activities

One of the largest KOAs in the US. It’s basically a small town with two pools, a village of shops and restaurants, tons of activities, and a large horse stable with trail rides. We had a nice back in site on the edge of a hill with plenty of privacy. However most the full hookup sites were really tight and had no shade.

Very close to Mount Rushmore and within about 30 minutes of most of the Black Hills attractions. If you want the resort RV esprit will be tough to find somewhere better.

Location, location, location!

This is a giant KOA with great check in procedures. They lead you right to the space and guide you in. It is a resort class campground, centrally located to everything you want to see in the Black Hills. The pools are nice, the play area got raves from our 9 yr old. Bounce pad, splash pad, playground, some ball pit game I can’t remember….and a movie every night. He went to bed tired every night. 😃 There are plenty of pull through spaces but they are TINY. We had to adjust our camper over a bit so our awning didn’t touch the neighbors camper, and even then I felt it hung out too close to the road. (With the massive number of first time amateurs in their rental motorhomes I wasnt very comfortable with that) No chance of putting up our pop up shelter either. It is very clean and well patrolled. There is a rodeo on the property as well as a chuck wagon dinner show. There is virtually no cell service here. The campground has a small strip of stores, ice cream, pizza, and the like. There is also a big camp store with plenty of supplies and souvenirs. Also an ok restaurant, just ok. This campground is minutes from Mt Rushmore, and close to Custer State Park, Custer, the Jewel cave, Wind cave, Needles Hwy, and lots more. Not always a big fan of KOA’s, but it is nice to be able to spend the day away touristing and not worry about your camper. The security there is good without being overbearing. Also, sorry for sounding snobby, the price keeps the riff riff out. There are some beautiful campgrounds all around the area, but for doing the tourist stuff this KOA works out great.

Not Fully ADA Accessible

I will start by saying I absolutely loved this site. The location is amazing and so beautiful. There are tons of amenities and fun activities. The staff are very nice and very helpful. Our camp site (electric only) was large and comfortable and not too close to any neighbors. All in all the campground is amazing if you're able bodied. *side note: we pulled in late at night and this place is nearly impossible to navigate at night. It took us an hour to find our camp.

The second thing I'll say is that although I'm disabled and use a wheelchair, I do not expect campgrounds to be completely accessible, i.e., I realize the terrain and roads and such are going to be rough and bumpy etc.

That being said, there are certain MUSTS that any disabled person needs. The most important is an accessible bathroom and shower (if the campground provides showers). All bathrooms should have at least one stall, at every bathroom station, that is accessible from the outside and is 100% ADA compliant on the inside. At this particular campground one of the "comfort stations" by the pool had zero accessible stalls and the shower doors were about 18" wide. The other comfort station that I found looked accessible, but upon closer inspection the bathroom stall was not remotely accessible to me and although the shower doors were wider there were ledges and loose gravel at the entrance making it very difficult for me and impossible for some others to enter.

There should also be ramp access to every building which I did not see. The pancake tent was our favorite feature and although there was a dirt "ramp" that I was able to traverse, there are some wheelchair users who need better.

It's 2018 and I feel like a company as large and as "accommodating" as KOA should have amazing accessibility and I did not see that here. :( There is ONE bathroom at the main front office that has a very nice handicapped stall but be prepared to wait while all the able bodied people use it first. Also, one bathroom in the main building does not qualify this campground as ADA Accessible, which it says it is.

AWESOME campground near Mount Rushmore

We had a blast at this KOA!!  UTV rentals with State Park trails adjacent to the campground were a lot of fun (and reasonably priced).  TONS of things to do at the campground from bike rentals, pools, waterslides, sports, shopping, restaurants, trail rides, chuck wagon dinner rides, neat shops for ice cream, coffee, etc.  Just a really neat place with a big store in case you need anything.  We ended up staying another night as we were having so much fun.  Very close to Mount Rushmore and Keystone (which is a cool town too).  Check out the excursion train!!

Large Campground with everything you need.

We stayed here on a long road trip this summer and really enjoyed it. It is a large campground with a variety of sites. This is a resort KOA so they have a lot of things to do. They offer ATV rentals, car rentals, and bikes. The location of the KOA is within minutes of Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. The area is one of my favorite places that I have ever stayed. There is a ton of stuff to do in the Black Hills and surrounding area. The campground had plenty of bathroom and shower facilities. They were clean and well maintained. Overall it was a very pleasant experience.

Very nice

Very nice campground with lots of amenities. It rained the whole time we were there so there were a lot of things we couldn't do/were cancelled, but they still ran some of the activities. Expensive compared to other places but very well maintained. Would recommend for people planning to spend a good amount of time at the campground.

Exciting, clean, perfect location, and very friendly!

Very kid friendly campground! Lots to do, with swimming, horseback riding, hiking, and pizza parties! There is a water slide, game room, outside fun area with mini golf & bounce pad.

Only 3 miles from Mount Rushmore and lots of other activities, you'll never be bored!

Great location

This is a huge campground with tons of options which is nice, it also is in a great Central location for Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Windcave National Park and Mammouth Site so be sure to book a long enough stay.

These were the least nice camping cabins on our road trip but nothing to complain about. Laundry facilities were good, great camp store and restaurant on site.

One of the best so far

we have stayed in quite a few KOA’s over the years and this is one of the top 3. There is a ton of things to do at the campground, my kids especially enjoyed the rock climbing wall. Location to many of the Black Hills destinations was close and convenient. The shops and choices for food right at the campground was great