the dyrt
KoA
Mount Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch is located in South Dakota
14 Reviews of Mount Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch
Not Fully ADA Accessible

I will start by saying I absolutely loved this site. The location is amazing and so beautiful. There are tons of amenities and fun activities. The staff are very nice and very helpful. Our camp site (electric only) was large and comfortable and not too close to any neighbors. All in all the campground is amazing if you're able bodied. *side note: we pulled in late at night and this place is nearly impossible to navigate at night. It took us an hour to find our camp.

The second thing I'll say is that although I'm disabled and use a wheelchair, I do not expect campgrounds to be completely accessible, i.e., I realize the terrain and roads and such are going to be rough and bumpy etc.

That being said, there are certain MUSTS that any disabled person needs. The most important is an accessible bathroom and shower (if the campground provides showers). All bathrooms should have at least one stall, at every bathroom station, that is accessible from the outside and is 100% ADA compliant on the inside. At this particular campground one of the "comfort stations" by the pool had zero accessible stalls and the shower doors were about 18" wide. The other comfort station that I found looked accessible, but upon closer inspection the bathroom stall was not remotely accessible to me and although the shower doors were wider there were ledges and loose gravel at the entrance making it very difficult for me and impossible for some others to enter.

There should also be ramp access to every building which I did not see. The pancake tent was our favorite feature and although there was a dirt "ramp" that I was able to traverse, there are some wheelchair users who need better.

It's 2018 and I feel like a company as large and as "accommodating" as KOA should have amazing accessibility and I did not see that here. :( There is ONE bathroom at the main front office that has a very nice handicapped stall but be prepared to wait while all the able bodied people use it first. Also, one bathroom in the main building does not qualify this campground as ADA Accessible, which it says it is.

AWESOME campground near Mount Rushmore

We had a blast at this KOA!!  UTV rentals with State Park trails adjacent to the campground were a lot of fun (and reasonably priced).  TONS of things to do at the campground from bike rentals, pools, waterslides, sports, shopping, restaurants, trail rides, chuck wagon dinner rides, neat shops for ice cream, coffee, etc.  Just a really neat place with a big store in case you need anything.  We ended up staying another night as we were having so much fun.  Very close to Mount Rushmore and Keystone (which is a cool town too).  Check out the excursion train!!

Large Campground with everything you need.

We stayed here on a long road trip this summer and really enjoyed it. It is a large campground with a variety of sites. This is a resort KOA so they have a lot of things to do. They offer ATV rentals, car rentals, and bikes. The location of the KOA is within minutes of Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. The area is one of my favorite places that I have ever stayed. There is a ton of stuff to do in the Black Hills and surrounding area. The campground had plenty of bathroom and shower facilities. They were clean and well maintained. Overall it was a very pleasant experience.

Very nice

Very nice campground with lots of amenities. It rained the whole time we were there so there were a lot of things we couldn't do/were cancelled, but they still ran some of the activities. Expensive compared to other places but very well maintained. Would recommend for people planning to spend a good amount of time at the campground.

Exciting, clean, perfect location, and very friendly!

Very kid friendly campground! Lots to do, with swimming, horseback riding, hiking, and pizza parties! There is a water slide, game room, outside fun area with mini golf & bounce pad.

Only 3 miles from Mount Rushmore and lots of other activities, you'll never be bored!

Great location

This is a huge campground with tons of options which is nice, it also is in a great Central location for Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Windcave National Park and Mammouth Site so be sure to book a long enough stay.

These were the least nice camping cabins on our road trip but nothing to complain about. Laundry facilities were good, great camp store and restaurant on site.

One of the best so far

we have stayed in quite a few KOA’s over the years and this is one of the top 3. There is a ton of things to do at the campground, my kids especially enjoyed the rock climbing wall. Location to many of the Black Hills destinations was close and convenient. The shops and choices for food right at the campground was great

Amazing!!

Definitely one of the best campgrounds that we have been to. Horse stable on site, ice cream shop, coffee shop (YES), restaurant, and nightly activities. The kids loved the pool and water slide, they also enjoyed the concert that happened while we were there. We will be staying again.

Great family trip

We had a great time on our Mt. Rushmore trip. The parks were beautiful and the scenic drives unforgettable.

Amazing!

One of the most beautiful places I have been!