Badlands National Park , SOUTH DAKOTA

Camping South Dakota Badlands National Park

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Badlands National Park Camping Reviews
Great views!

There were a lot of RVs boondocking when we were there. But everyone kept a distance from each other and it was quiet. The views are wonderful!!!! The park is awesome! Bighorn sheep right when we entered the park boundary.

Amazing views

This place is amazing! It’s very easy to find; it is a very large area, so you’ll be able to find a spot to park no matter the vehicle size; and the views are more than amazing! I car camped on 10/3/20.

Driving south from Wall on 240, simply look to your left and you’ll see people’s RVs, vehicles, and tents to your left.

I went to the right once up the short dirt/rock road and quickly found a spot on the edge of the Badlands. It was quite windy at night. This location allows for a breathtaking view of both sunsets and sunrises.

Highly recommend!

Once in a lifetime sunrises!

Wasn’t sure if we’d make it to this spot due to recent snowfall and melt-mud but our trustee Sugaree (‘97 VW Rialta) got us in position. There are some serious snow/mud ruts on the way in but the steepest bit is getting back onto the road on the way out.

Really an incredible spot! Only one other camper while we were there. Still plenty of distance to stagger on a crowded night. Windy, too, as others have mentioned. But nothing treacherous for us.

All of it is so well worth it to discover!

@theglasscamel

Wonderful boon docking spot just outside the Badlands park.

Great alternative to the Sage camp ground just outside the park. Amazing views from the edge into the badlands. Heavy rain can make it difficult to master the access roads

Pleasant spot

Great views all around with a pleasant stream running through, BLM road behind the site for a stroll/potential free camping. The BLM road was not passable mid-october due to flooding. The site has some evidence of local kids using it as a target range (holes in sign, trash cans, and fence posts). Overall, pretty nice in the off-season -- access roads were all flat and passable w a good amount of snow cover.

Amazing stars

Have stayed here several times on the way and way back from trips further west (from MN). Getting a little too popular (crowded) in recent years but there’s good reason why: it’s a good, unique, convenient spot. Bison roam through the campground and some of the best stargazing I’ve seen.

Great campground about as close as you can get

This is a really nice campground inside Badlands.  We arrived late and left early, but I would've been happy to stay there longer.  We weren't stacked on top of other people and it was well priced for having a sewer hookup at our site.  Showers weren't the cleanest, but not the worst I've seen, and that fact was eclipsed by being in such a great location.

Great view!

This campsite was a perfect place to stay for a night - easy access to amazing hiking trails and the campsite was clean and quiet. I do wish they had a better check in process for people coming in later in the day. We got to the campground after close and found an empty non-electric site based off of the allotted sites posted at the entrance. The next day there was still no clear way to make a payment, so we just left our payment in the Dropbox (we are hoping we did it right). Overall, great experience.

Wow!

Free! Best views in Bad Lands NP! Free! Great cell signal! Oh, it’s free, too! Best spot I’ve stayed in the past week, no bad spots to be found! A must-do place to boondock if you are passing thru!

SCARY WINDY BUT BEAUTIFUL

Ok…. it is really pretty, especially the sunsets and sunrises but we got stuck out here in a wind storm and I swear to god I spent half the night crying in our truck because I thought the camper was going to YEET off the side of the wall. It’s terrifying, check the weather, very very dusty, we hated it. But, it’s pretty.