Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area, SOUTH DAKOTA
Camping South Dakota Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area
Most Recent Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Nice views of the Bighorn mountains

On Highway 16 across from the lake. There are great views of the mountains with nice wooded sites. The vault toilets were really clean and there was some bit of privacy between sites. Each site had the usual picnic table and fire pit (no bear boxes). In the evening there was a lot of wildlife in the meadow to watch, so try and get a site on the outside of the loop so you can watch. Because it was early in the season (the campground had only been open for a week when I arrived), they were not collecting fees yet (I double checked with the campground host). North Cove was across the street from the entrance and was very popular with fishermen and boaters.

Family friendly camping

For $17 a night, try and get a site right on Tensleep Creek. Sites are pretty, and private-ish with lots of trees (some good for hammocking, some not). Everything was really well maintained to the point of everything looking new. All the usual amenities of picnic tables and fire pits and grills, PLUS there are pretty awesome prep tables for cooking and a lantern pole at each site, with super clean vault toilets where the camphosts have set pots of flowers to improve the setting. I suggest getting a site on the backside of the loop away from the road. The campground hosts were great, checking on campers a couple of times in the early evening and again in the morning. They rolled around in their golf cart stocked with firewood for sale so you didn’t have to hike back to the top of the hill to get your wood. There are some great family activities areas in the campground with horseshoes, cornhole, and other games set up in a central activities area.

Finally, a KOA without all the rock

This is, finally, a KOA that isn’t covered in gravel and dust! There is real, green grass! The sites are small, and tight, but there is grass. They have mostly RV sites, with some tent sites and small cabins. Electric and water, some with sewer. There is a small store, game room and pool. The shower would be better with a real door, not just curtains. They have a good size dog park, plus an extra area for dogs to run, unfenced.

Tie hack

Went last week beautiful resavour camping and fishing. Only caught smaller Browns but has a cliff about 20 or 30 foot for cliff diving

Lake view

Always good fishing and camping. Bring your bug spray though

River sounds fill the air amidst forest beauty

Perfectly located, South Fork creates a sense of peace and adventure. Buffalo is 25 miles away if you need supplies or a cell signal. Hiking trails are all around. Mountain vistas are prevalent. The Bighorns are mighty big.

The campground is one road with campsites on each side. We were not next to the river but it’s sound quieted all else. The end of the loop has a parking area for tenters. Over the bridge there are a group of beautiful tent sites.

The camp host made it a point to personally greet each camper. Shaking hands, she welcomed us to this sacred space.

A hiking trail leaves the tent area and goes to Tie Hack reservoir. A multi-use trail is at the front of camp. A mile down the road is the turn off to Circle Park. 3 miles of bumpy forest roads and the trailhead appears. Amazing hikes into the Cloudpeak Wilderness can be found. Closer to Buffalo is the Mosier Gulch trail. All are perfect ways to spend your time.

Don’t miss out on this place!

Remote camping in a beautiful place

A remote campground with large sites and raised grills. The river is just down the road. This is a quiet place to relax in the Bighorns. There was only one other camper and many open sites. It seems that most people went to Ranger Creek Campground which is just down the road.

Bring your atv and explore some trails. Fishing seems to happen along the river as well as ponds further down the road. Keep driving down 26 to reach some more beautiful Bighorn Mountain scenes.

Small campground nestled along a river

This beautiful campground gives you the opportunity to sleep to the sound of the river. Campsites are spread out along the river. This single file design spreads you out and gives you privacy. This is a great camp but reservations are accepted. The camp host does a great job of posting the dates that sites are available. If you’re lucky you can grab a spot for the night. Otherwise make an advance reservation.

This is the closest campground to Buffalo. It’s a beautiful town worth exploring. There is a hiking trail right at the start of the campground. Down the road is another great place to explore- Circle Park. You can hike up into the Cloudpeak wilderness.

This is such and enjoyable campground and area!

Steep rough road to remote beauty

Crazy Woman Road lives up to her name. The road is one lane with a few wide spots to pass oncoming vehicles. It starts off flat but drops steeply and continues the downward angle. It’s 15 miles if you go all the way to 87 and 5 miles until private land starts and no camping there. I would not be comfortable taking a heavy load this way. We passed 3 camps that were not bad to get to if they are open. After a bit of driving you come upon an open area to camp. People set up their tent camp across the road too. We loved this spot! It’s right next to a river with rapids that are steep enough to be considered small waterfalls. There are 5 fire pits here that are spaced around the outside of the area. You would be hard pressed to get larger trailers in here. We loved sitting by the water on some large boulders. The water is great white noise too.

Loop campground near the toad but far from town

Right off the main road you climb up and around a scenic forest. It’s just far enough to provide some insulation from the road noise. One loop of campsites go around a clean vault toilet and 2 water pumps. One water pump was not working. A few sites are tent only and there were a couple that had pull throughs. We drove in on the Fourth of July weekend and there were still a couple open sites. Some were reserved for the 2 week limit. This weekend found a few families and lots of dogs enjoying the holiday.

This is a nice spot but it was farther away from town and hiking trails.

Hidden Gem

We've stayed here a few different times, the last time being in May and the first in early August. There are some great dispersed sites throughout the road to get to this campground… Quite a few people bring their horses and/or off road toys. Great mountain views! Worth the trip every time.

Even a hot tub!

My wife talked me into the hot tub. It's a very clean camp with great staff. Rabbits all over which was cute. We stayed 1nite en route and would stay again

Closed 😭

I am sad to say that this campground is now closed. I have satellite images of where it should be but it is gone. There is a pull in and a drive to the creek and a sign that says no camping. The road back to the old site is now blocked by boulders and a fence. Such a shame.

Absolutely Beautiful

Camp here all the time, love it! Great walking trails, close to Meadowlark Lake, great fishing, awesome hosts, tons of ATV trails.

Friendly host, beautiful and clean sites for rv and tent camping, nice river runs through the campgrounds which gives it a great view and ambiance.

Beautiful Spot

We stayed here for just a night. Our spot was in the lower loop, as we were just tent camping. The campsite overall is wonderfully kept; tables are newly painted, the area is very clean, and each site is maintained well. Our site was also right next to the lake, which was beautiful. We saw many people fishing on the lake. There are very few trees between sites however, so there isn’t very much privacy.

We stayed here one night, but we wished we had more time! Tucked into a canyon, the soothing sounds of the river by our site was very relaxing. Sites had plenty of privacy and the camp host was very helpful! We will definitely be back

Great Dispersed Camping

We stayed at the Circle Park Camp for two nights on our western US tour last summer. The site is about 20 miles west of Buffalo WY off Highway 16. You take circle park road north and the campsites are in and along the tree lines. We opted for a beautiful open site between to wooded areas. The pictures don’t do it justice. It is an incredible site. The road going in is gravel and dirt with some rough areas. We observed deer and elk in the area which is popular with local hunters. The site does not have any facilities. So you need you need to pack everything into the site. The dispersed site has trailers, RVs, and vans. Some of the campers appear to be long term. The shear beauty of this spot makes it a good option for those who like dispersed camping and no camping fees. Not far from Cody WY which is a great place for fly fishing rods and tackle.

Best of Yellowstone

Ok, I can honestly say only stayed in two of Yellowstone’s campgrounds, but of the two this one was my favorite, and I would pick it again in the future. The campground was beautiful to me. The restrooms were clean and heated. The building where you go to check in, also contains laundry facilities and showers. With each night stay, you receive two showers at no cost. Also very close to this campground, there were shops, restaurants, grocery store, and gas station. Short drive to reach the falls as well. Hiking trails as well.

Lakeview campground on meadowlark lake

Wr saw a moose by the lake one morning. Open parking spots. Great host!

lakes

there are several campgrounds along the 20 mile dirt road to this campground. there are also several lakes, paintrock lakes and medicine lodge lakes. there was a microburst a few weeks ago so there a lot of trees blown over, really cool to see.

beautiful

nice place to camp, lots of trees beautiful drive through the campsites

Nice campground in Yellowstone National Park. Sites were close together, but they had some nice amenities such as dishwashing room off bathrooms (flush toilets), visitor center very close by with restaurants and gift shops, an amphitheater with ranger shows, shower access and laundry. We really liked it here and will come back again. We were there in June and it snowed the day we left, so be prepared for some unpredictable weather.

Best location!

We camped in the F Loop for three nights in July 2018. This campground is great because they sell firewood until late, the shower facilities are clean and private, and it is in the best part of the park! The geysers are great, but my favorite areas are Yellowstone Lake and Lamar Valley. Canyon Campground is right between these areas, providing a great starting point for your daily adventures! The campsites do not have tent pads, so you just put your tent up wherever there’s a flat spot. There are lots of trees, and even though the campground was full, it didn’t feel crowded!

Beautiful!

this campground is great! There is a stream for good fly fishing and we always see a bunch of wildlife!

10/10 would recommend

Stayed here multiple times with friends and family and loved it! There is a ton of area to hike and spots to fish all over!

Central Location

I loved this campground because it was so close to many things. The cell reception was great as well (for Yellowstone). They also had a really nice visitor center and several different, reasonably priced places to eat.

July 2018: Nice staff

This KOA has nice wide lots and friendly staff. Laundry room was clean and cheap. near a highway but not terribly noisy. would stay again.

Ranger Review: Natures Coffee Kettle at Sheridan Big Horn KOA

Campground Review:

This KOA is easy access from I-90. That being said, bring your ear plugs, you are near the interstate. I stayed here for 3 nights while attending the American Legion State Baseball Tournament. I chose this campground because they have WiFi and shower facilities.

The camp ground managers are very nice folks! I talked baseball every day with the host and he shared stories of his baseball days. Very nice man who had his work cut out for him battling all the down branches and mess from the thunderstorms that rolled through each day. Cost was $32.88 w/ tax each night for a tent site without power (add $5 if you want a power source). Considering the WiFi and free shower facilities and only 1 mile from the ball park, it was the best value for me. If traveling with family/friends, the campground offers quite a few activities on site. They had a basketball court, horseshoe pits, mini golf, swimming pool, and some fun looking tricycles!

This place was very clean! The bathrooms were spotless each time I used them, regardless of time of day. The showers were very clean, the temperature fluctuated some while using, but nothing to complain about. Free coffee in the office. Laundry facilities do cost, but i didn't use these during my stay, so I can't say much about them. Sites are close together, that would be my only disappointment, but that is very normal for these kinds of commercial campgrounds. Which is the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5.

The Big Horn Mountains are very close by and full of adventure. The town of Sheridan has a very nice downtown area with quaint shops and cafes. There are numerous museums in the area with relics of the history of the area.

Product Review: Natures Coffee Kettle - Brazilian Mountain Blueberry https://nckstore.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/nature-s-coffee-kettle-brazilian-mountain-blueberry-with-1-mountain-blueberry-refill-pack Bear with my product demo video…i was half asleep. Round 2 went much smoother! So, how this works: You are provided a Mylar bag that had a spout and a zip-lock seal. There are 2 compartments, in the upper compartment you will find a large bag of coffee grounds tea bag style. The slower you pour the water over the grounds, the stronger your brew will be. Once you have your water added and it has ran through into the bottom chamber, you can seal the zip-lock and hold the bag upside down to brew the coffee even stronger. I highly recommend doing this. The Mylar bag is not insulated, so I would recommend storing the brewed coffee in a thermos or insulated mug once you've completed the brewing process. I wasn't a huge fan of the Mountain Blueberry flavor, but really enjoyed the Guatemalan coffee I tried the next morning. I will be taking Natures Coffee Kettle with me in a couple weeks when I climb the Grand Teton! Coffee at Base camp and at the high camp on summit day! Cheers!

Scenery, Wildlife and Peace!

I have to start off with, this is my all time favorite camp site, ever! I camped back in this campground years and years ago. The price has doubled since I last stayed there from $8 to $16 and there are many many free sites around but I am more then happy to pay the $16 for this site!

To get here you have to take the highway that goes between Buffalo and Ten Sleep. The turn off is Ten Sleep Drive, there is a resort of sorts there on the corner, you are only about 10 miles from Ten Sleep, so almost on the other side of the mountain from Buffalo. The road is all dirt and a bit wash board but it's in good condition. Slow going though, lots of dust. You'll drive a good 6 miles or so until you come to Deer Park Campground. I have seen big motor homes up here but the campground is really suited for tents, although two motor homes were parked there the night I was there. There are maybe 7 sites in this little campground.

They have made big improvements (maybe the reason for the higher price) to this campground. Years ago the toilets were awful. In fact, I wouldn't even use them, I'd rather drive down to Ten Sleep then set foot in those smelly vault toilets. But now, they are still vault toilets but they are clean, they don't smell, the building has been upgraded as well. There was plenty of toilet paper while we were there. They also have added a water pump that pumps fresh water. This is great, we were on day three of a five day road trip and the water was a welcomed bonus.

So, why do I like this site so much? It backs up to a marsh area and then a giant open meadow. It's a great place to see wildlife and enjoy the sun setting as well as some magnificent star gazing. The site is good sized (too small for a camper but plenty big for a tent). A lot of campgrounds you'll hear lots of traffic noise or people partying but it's quiet here! So quiet that my kids were probably making the most noise and I tried to keep them quiet as well. There is a creek that you can fish just across the road and it's doing quite well. If you know what your doing, I'm sure you can pull out some nice fish. Years ago, the creek was super low and we pulled out barely minnow sized fish (amazing we could even catch them) but now it's much higher and there are lots of eddies and big rocks for hiding places. I can imagine it would be fabulous. There is also a big lake another mile or so past this campground and the trout are eager there. We did catch nice fish there years ago. Didn't make it to the lake this year. There are photo opportunities around every turn. It is absolutely gorgeous!

I have never visited this area with out seeing a moose and this time did not disappoint! I woke up around 6 am and stepped out of my tent to see a nice bull moose out in that very meadow that is so scenic. He walked through and with in about 500 feet of our site and then just kept going. Beautiful creature.

I don't have any downsides, unless of course you get sick or injured. It is a ways back out. Even Ten Sleep is going to take you 30 minutes or so to get to with the slow moving dirt road out. While there we did have a small injury, my 4 year old fell in to a tree branch and cut his head, so make sure you bring a suitable first aid kit in case of small emergencies. I can't say enough about Green Goo products, which is what we put on his head after we cleaned it up. They are extremely reasonably priced and their natural products WORK! Totally worth adding to your first aid kit. This particular product (Green Goo First Aid) also helps with mosquito bites. We camped in many areas with mosquitos (here included) and I put a little First Aid ointment on them and they were gone by morning. Helps relieve the itching too.

I will always return to this site, hands down, my favorite place on earth!