Yankton, SOUTH DAKOTA
Most Recent Yankton Camping Reviews
City park

Nice area, electric at each site, both 30 and 50 amp service. $ 15 a night. Water licated centrally.

You will enjoy

I enjoyed my stay, it was quit and clean. Will go back again.

Camping sites in odd location

Lions Park is located in the town of Vermillion at a park. The sites are against the brick building that is the recreation center. When we pulled up we decided not to stay as the few sites that were there were so close together and the sites that had campers there looked to be permanent residents. There was a nice playground and restroom. The restroom looked to e shared with the ball fields next to the camp sites. I guess if you needed to stay because you had people playing at the fields it would be very convenient. I myself would not find these sites relaxing or peaceful.

Secluded and peaceful

Clay County Park is located 4 miles outside of Vermillion South Dakota. It is secluded and peaceful. There were a few down falls. A lot of the sites were taken by either people who lived there full time or people who leave their camper there for the whole summer. Also the camp ground hosts weren’t friendly like all the other camp grounds we visit. But it was peaceful and pretty. The sites were very nice sized. You didn’t feel like you were right on top of each other. They are Electric only and there is drinking water and sewage dump close by. There was 2 nice restrooms and 1 vaulted toilet. There was a few trails, 1 leading to the Missouri River. Down the road (not far) is a nice shelter next to the river and a boat ramp.

Great Place

Awesome place to stay. I was only there one night to break up my trip out west but I would definitely stop again. Davis is a little town and everyone there was so welcoming. I had dinner and a few beers in town at the local bar and then coffee and donuts the next morning in the general store. Sat and talked with the locals the entire time and couldn’t have felt more welcomed. Perfect place to meet some great people and make the stay very personal. Cinda and Popeye, the hosts, were just as nice and inviting. Good to know this many nice people are still out there! 10/10 recommend!!

Great place to tent camp!

The only issue I have is when the algae bloom happens every year, then there is no water activity permitted

Gorgeous Nebraska State Park, primitive site T45 review

I had the please of staying at this beautiful Nebraska state park with my youngest son on a return trip home from North Dakota over the July 4th weekend 2019. We pulled in after office ours and easily found several primitive walk up sites to choose from. We selected T45 for it’s proximity to a scenic Missouri River overlook and it’s flat, shaded ground. Ponca SP is a large clean and hilly state park offering just about everything you could want from Glamping in cabins to roughing it on one of several pack in trails. There is plentiful wildlife to observe. We witnessed deer and many species of birds in our one evening and morning stay. Guests to the park can partake in horse trail rides($), golf($), fishing, hunting, shooting/ archery range, biking/hiking, water activities such as kayaking or canoeing on the Missouri River, and a large pool near the entrance. Food service is also available on site if you get tired of cooking at your camp. If you want a power site for an RV I’d highly recommend reserving well in advance because this is a popular SP. For those of us who tent camp without power you’ll likely find the perfect spot for your small to large tent on a walk up site with plentiful shade trees at all of the sites that I observed. I highly recommend trying to get the site one spot to the North of T45, it literally looks right over the Missouri River and sits just steps away from the scenic overlook. The bathroom facility right by T45 was clean and well maintained and there was a water faucet next to this site as well as the trash bins. Scenic hikes, drives, or bike rides around the park are largely shaded with a rich tree canopy over rolling hills throughout the park. There are at least two scenic river overlooks with historical referenced to the area’s rich history including the Lewis and Clark expedition. Check the park’s web site at outdoornebraska.gov/Ponca/ to find out what educational and fun events might be happening at the park. They hold a Harvest/Halloween event over a few days in October each year, but you’ll have to book a site a year in advance if you want to for sure get a spot during that time. Don’t forget to stop in to the education center and learn all about the river’s history. The education center is top notch and one of our favorite things about the park. This is a five star state park by any measure and I can’t wait for a return trip to this park.

Nice clean campsites

Spent a weekend here. The campsites are nice and clean, and the bathrooms are the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen at a campground! The campground was quiet and peaceful. Great showers and views of the river. Just a 5 minute driving to the damn and a swimming area… In front of the campsites is the river (this is riverfront camping, and behind is a little wooded area that helps you feel a little more secluded. Will be returning.

Nice clean campsites

Really great park

Really great state park not too far from lake lakota with great playgrounds. Great woods woth trails

Great place on Lake Yankton

This is actually on Lake Yankton not Lewis and Clark Lake but it is a nice peaceful place with nice grass, benches and parks, the lake has good fishing for all species would recommend going has nice bathrooms as well as good bike trails

Really nice area by water

Nice area with park for children with good water accessible

Great area

Really fun campground with parks for kids and nice green grass with tons of sports offerd

Good

Its a first come first serve/ same day reservation

Real close to water

Could see water from everywhere on site was nice and clean and very grassy

Really clean

Had nice open spots very spacies

Had a great time

Was nice and clean with friendly rangers

Peaceful glamping

Made reservations to camp here since it was reasonably close to Sioux Falls and looked really interesting. So glad I did. My hosts couldn’t have been nicer. By the time I left I felt like I was part of the family. Because the ground was still pretty saturated they upgraded me for free to the glamper, so fun to stay in a vintage trailer. They are hoping to acquire a few more for the future. Super quiet at night, and Cinda gave me a fresh loaf of her bread and some awesome jam for breakfast. I would definitely stay here again.

Good campground with good hiking

Good clean campground with some trails to hike.

Best cabins!

The cabins here are top notch! The park is so beautiful too!

Great quiet pretty place

If you want a nice place to camp in NE Nebraska, this is it. Lots of shade, hiking, trail rides, campsites are pretty and easily usable. Enough space for 6 people easily. Showers, campfire rings. Nice place to spend a few days or just an overnight.

Great camping

Large sites, shady and quiet.

Large sites and bike trails, also quiet.

Large sites with bike trails right on lake.

Power and water next to the swimming pool- free for 3 days!

This park is right of Highway 30 and if you are passing through and want power and water for a few days this should be your stop. unlike other city parks, this one has a burn pit.

I would assume that campers would have use of the shower facility at the pool, but if not, you could just spend a few bucks and swim all day and shower at the end.

Grocery store downtown had great steak prices and good price on ice.

USACE camping just below Lewis and Clark Lake

Army Corps Campground with all the bells and whistles. It was closed when we went, but we will return. The interpretive center was very informative and Lewis and Clark Lake is huge with nice beaches and great fishing.

The ranger said that electric sites in season were only $16. That is less than the state parks at the lake. Yankton is nice but don't miss the Nebraska tribal museums.

Beautiful But Without Water in the Off Season

Electric sites by the highway near the park entrance, but don't overlook the 4 RV sites by the fishing pond. Cabins, primitive camping, hiking, and lovely scenery.

Campsite #43 is the only site with what I would call a view, but the view from there is excellent. The hiking was great. The area is pretty cool with Native American exhibits, the casino, and Lewis and Clark Lake nearby.

Though we loved the scenery and wanted to stay, the park had shut off all the water. We expected the $15 off-season price since there were no longer horse rides, pool or other activities but there were no showers or restrooms in the RV site. No water to wash dishes in!

The regular season is $20 a night but they are discussing raising that. Don't bother with the off-season.

Also, see my reviews of Crofton and Verdigre. Camping there is not as nice but they are close and more affordable.

Highly developed campground

This campground has seen huge improvements over the last decade. They now sport an impressive set of cabins and other facilities for the 21st century camper. Tent camping continues to be available and has better privacy than many sites throughout Nebraska. The park isn't far from a small town where you can easily get anything you might need for your trip. Explore some of the activites that staff hold weekly or go take a hike! There's also playgrounds and a pool for the kids.

Beautiful area to explore

This campground features cabins and tent camping. Designed for families, there is a playground and lots of open space for the kids to run around. Pets are welcome. There is a small pond stocked for fishing right in the middle of the tent camping area. Take a short hike to see where the Niobrara river dumps into the Missouri and take in some of the best views in Nebraska. In the winter months, hunters often use the cabins as home base and hunt in the surrounding woods.

Nowhere with a river

Not to be mistaken as Fort Niobrara, Niobrara State Park , NE is near Niobrara and Verdel, NE. The popular Niobrara River runs along the far side of the park and one of the attractions is the old train bridge which is now part of the converted trail that you can explore.

When we arrived the 80 degree temperatures from Kentucky did not arrive with us. The weather was windy, sprinkling and dropping with the sun. The night time low was about 43 degrees. I learned on another trip to pack all temperature range clothing especially this time of year, so I had my sniffle gear. We were one of three occupied sites in the campground. The other two sites had RV’s , I decided on truck camping and was glad I did.

The actual campground is spacious and had some trees. The showerhouse was well maintained and something new to me had pay showers. I hadn’t packed any quarters but have now added another helpful tidbit to my list of must haves while camping. (Roll of quarters, check) I attempted to leave my windows open after throwing a tarp over the truck but even though the temperature was low the mosquitoes were FIERCE! I don’t even want to know how bad they are in warm weather. So with the truck closed up we snuggled in for the night. I was a little surprised when I was woken by my dogs barking at coyotes that could be heard very nearby. Considering how sparsely populated the area is it shouldn’t have been that surprising, you really feel like your out in the middle of nowhere. Just shows how Northern I am ;) I was disappointed it was overcast , the sky would have been phenomenal with no lights to ruin the view.

This Park is laid out in a “horseshoe” and speed restrictions make it a long drive from end to end. The visitors center has some helpful employees that were very informative. Not surprisingly the river is the big draw in the area. The Ranger I spoke to said that there was a reinactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition due in that weekend. I was directed to the trailhead further in past the several cabins sitting in opportune locations along the road. The trail was moderately technical and you get to walk across the Niobrara on an old train bridge converted to a walkway. Unfortunately the far side was closed. There is also a horse trail ride offered (which would have been interesting with the boys).

The one con of the campground is that though you have an excellent view of the Niobrara River there is no easy access to it from the sites. Definitely a destination campground if you enjoy the river sports.