Yankton, SOUTH DAKOTA

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Yankton Camping Reviews
I thought I grew up in a small town...

The town is so small, the gas pumps still remind me of a rotary phone. Not much to write home about for this one-nighter. (Notice there's no pics) Felt a bit awkward pitching a tent here, although there were others doing the same and even car camping, and there were signs allowing it. I wouldn't recommend settling in at this one, let alone starting a fire. It's nice, though. Access to a bathroom with running water was nice, but I wouldn't drink from the sink, and the door wouldn't latch. Theres a small rope bridge over a portion of pond, and a covered area with tables, although I assume the latter is more for large get-togethers. Theres a small shop down the road that opens at a decent time and has coffee, as well as the afore-mentioned gas station. (gas was about the only thing they sold) Not too far off the beaten path, and Sioux Falls is a very short jaunt down the road.

City park

Nice area, electric at each site, both 30 and 50 amp service. $ 15 a night. Water licated centrally.

You will enjoy

I enjoyed my stay, it was quit and clean. Will go back again.

Camping sites in odd location

Lions Park is located in the town of Vermillion at a park. The sites are against the brick building that is the recreation center. When we pulled up we decided not to stay as the few sites that were there were so close together and the sites that had campers there looked to be permanent residents. There was a nice playground and restroom. The restroom looked to e shared with the ball fields next to the camp sites. I guess if you needed to stay because you had people playing at the fields it would be very convenient. I myself would not find these sites relaxing or peaceful.

Secluded and peaceful

Clay County Park is located 4 miles outside of Vermillion South Dakota. It is secluded and peaceful. There were a few down falls. A lot of the sites were taken by either people who lived there full time or people who leave their camper there for the whole summer. Also the camp ground hosts weren’t friendly like all the other camp grounds we visit. But it was peaceful and pretty. The sites were very nice sized. You didn’t feel like you were right on top of each other. They are Electric only and there is drinking water and sewage dump close by. There was 2 nice restrooms and 1 vaulted toilet. There was a few trails, 1 leading to the Missouri River. Down the road (not far) is a nice shelter next to the river and a boat ramp.

Great Place

Awesome place to stay. I was only there one night to break up my trip out west but I would definitely stop again. Davis is a little town and everyone there was so welcoming. I had dinner and a few beers in town at the local bar and then coffee and donuts the next morning in the general store. Sat and talked with the locals the entire time and couldn’t have felt more welcomed. Perfect place to meet some great people and make the stay very personal. Cinda and Popeye, the hosts, were just as nice and inviting. Good to know this many nice people are still out there! 10/10 recommend!!

Great place to tent camp!

The only issue I have is when the algae bloom happens every year, then there is no water activity permitted

Gorgeous Nebraska State Park, primitive site T45 review

I had the please of staying at this beautiful Nebraska state park with my youngest son on a return trip home from North Dakota over the July 4th weekend 2019. We pulled in after office ours and easily found several primitive walk up sites to choose from. We selected T45 for it’s proximity to a scenic Missouri River overlook and it’s flat, shaded ground. Ponca SP is a large clean and hilly state park offering just about everything you could want from Glamping in cabins to roughing it on one of several pack in trails. There is plentiful wildlife to observe. We witnessed deer and many species of birds in our one evening and morning stay. Guests to the park can partake in horse trail rides($), golf($), fishing, hunting, shooting/ archery range, biking/hiking, water activities such as kayaking or canoeing on the Missouri River, and a large pool near the entrance. Food service is also available on site if you get tired of cooking at your camp. If you want a power site for an RV I’d highly recommend reserving well in advance because this is a popular SP. For those of us who tent camp without power you’ll likely find the perfect spot for your small to large tent on a walk up site with plentiful shade trees at all of the sites that I observed. I highly recommend trying to get the site one spot to the North of T45, it literally looks right over the Missouri River and sits just steps away from the scenic overlook. The bathroom facility right by T45 was clean and well maintained and there was a water faucet next to this site as well as the trash bins. Scenic hikes, drives, or bike rides around the park are largely shaded with a rich tree canopy over rolling hills throughout the park. There are at least two scenic river overlooks with historical referenced to the area’s rich history including the Lewis and Clark expedition. Check the park’s web site at outdoornebraska.gov/Ponca/ to find out what educational and fun events might be happening at the park. They hold a Harvest/Halloween event over a few days in October each year, but you’ll have to book a site a year in advance if you want to for sure get a spot during that time. Don’t forget to stop in to the education center and learn all about the river’s history. The education center is top notch and one of our favorite things about the park. This is a five star state park by any measure and I can’t wait for a return trip to this park.

Nice clean campsites

Spent a weekend here. The campsites are nice and clean, and the bathrooms are the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen at a campground! The campground was quiet and peaceful. Great showers and views of the river. Just a 5 minute driving to the damn and a swimming area… In front of the campsites is the river (this is riverfront camping, and behind is a little wooded area that helps you feel a little more secluded. Will be returning.