Gilman , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Gilman Camping Reviews
They pretty much are all family there. No drop in camping .

They pretty much are all family there. No drop in camping . weeds are bad n 2 people have drown trying to swim off their beach.

Camping here for 30 years.

I've been camping here since I was a little kid. My family used to host large family camping trips here. Lots of close camp sites for larger groups near the entrance. The further back you go on the road, the more spread out sites get. There are a few walk-in sites that I absolutely love. Show up early on weekends if you want one of the better spots. Pluses: The trails are a lot of fun.. lots to see. The outhouses are kept up well and pump water road side. Minuses: People leave their camps a mess a lot of the time. I usually spend the first hour cleaning up. TONS of poison ivy. Sand fleas.

I still get up once a year, early summer.

Walking in and roadside camping

I've camped here twice, now. Once roadside during hunting season with oranges on and once in December. So far, I enjoy it. Where to start… The roads aren't really kept up for the winter. So, you'll want 4 wheel drive and slow and mindful driving. I walked in for ten minutes from one of the parking spots. I just cleared the snow, built a heat retaining wall, and set up camp in front of it. I did hear wolves for the first time. They were howling after sunset. A little creepy, camping alone. But, i don't suspect they'd come too close.

If you want secluded, minimal camping. This is an okay spot, close to the twin cities.

Nice people, great lake, lots of walleye

Nice people, big lake that has a few different beaches, and great fishing

Quiet State Park No Hook-ups

If you like quiet/off the beaten path sites, this one is awesome. Walk in sites as well as drive in. Great (but small) swimming beach, large lake with great fishing available. No hook ups and no dump station. Sites are spaced far enough apart to give you some privacy.

Great campground!

We loved this campground and this area!

We have site 1 which was right on the lake. We were able to park the camper parallel to the lake which was amazing. Such a beautiful view!

The owners and staff were great. They have a small market and a game room. The resort was clean and well maintained. There is a beach. You can also rent water toys, boats and pontoons. You can also bring your own boat and rent dock space. There are several docks you can fish from if you want.

So much to do in the area and this resort is right in the middle of it all.

Watercraft Site on the Mississippi - Spacious & Maintained!

This hidden gem is on the Mississippi water trail around mile 996. It is called "Overlook Park" and owned/maintained by the city of Baxter, but is part of the DNR's state water trail. There is even signage for those on the river to inform them about their whereabouts on the trail when they pass this park.

So although this is a little private city park, there is a specific spot RIGHT on the river with a picnic table, fire ring, and nice high ground soft space for a tent. But really you could tent it anywhere in the park, but this space is set aside a bit from the rest, as it is a city park although very little traffic. There is garbage and a vaulted toilet. There are three picnic tables throughout including the tent site, and two fire rings. There is a nice canoe landing area with a few stairs to help give access up and down from the river bank. Very pretty spot on the river! The opposite land bordering this city park is part of Crow Wing State Park, so even though it's close to town, it does feel fairly remote.

Such a well maintained park! Pretty views and some rugged trails along the river for some hiking as well.

Good stay for a couple days away

It was the spring of 2020 and COVID was just a thing that would soon pass… The family needed a little break from the new daily grid of quarantining in our home. Working and schooling full time from home was a new and somewhat novel thing we were all adjusting too.

Pokegama Lake campground provided a good weekend away from from the Twin Cities. Since social distancing was in place we only talked to the staff on the phone. Check in was efficient and ready for our arrival. Our first site was beautiful and in the trees as requested but the site had our sewer uncomfortably in the front yard of the our new weekend neighbor who was already there. We gave the office a call and they set us up with a pull thru site just across the road without hesitation. Our site was level and the full hookups worked as expected.

We are not golfers but would have taken advantage of the course if we were.

Not much to do in the area but that didn’t dampen our weekend. Not sure we would spend more than a long weekend here.

There was a boat launch across the road for those looking for a place to to get out on the water with their water craft. A good portion of the campground was occupied by seasonal campers. Not currently our cup of tea but it looked it full and busy. There were some sites that were well cared for and some that could use some TLC.

We would camp here again.

Great campground

Nice campground with amenities, pool and water play area for kids. Nice on-site store for any needs. I have a small travel trailer that is self contained so I could reserve spots down by the river. Ability to go tubing down the river. You can even get pizza delivered by the local Chanticlear Pizza!

I give it a 4 star only because twice I ran into the same group of people that thought it was ok to open up their vehicle doors and blast music well into the night. Owner warned them the first time but quiet time isn’t until 11 pm. 2nd trip, I just packed up and left.

Sunset Hike

Tent camp here once and a while, but finally got around to officially doing the hiking club trail. Love doing a sunset hike, this trail is just over two miles, all along the river, with pretty much continual sunset views if you take the trail East to West. It's a loop, which is always preferred I think. Nice picnic area by the river. Historic signs describing the old town are along the beginning part of the trail near the picnic area. Kinda fun to read about and feel what old settlements were like!

Easy and pretty trail, took just half an hour, went with the kids. Just an awesome sunset walk and a bit of moonlight!