Albert Lea, MINNESOTA

Most Recent Albert Lea Camping Reviews
Friendly RV park

Nice rv park with flexible departure times for Mayo Clinic appointments. The only down fall in the park is they don't allow campfires at the sites. There is a community campfire that can be used. The restrooms and showers are licked on the weekends

Lovely Campsite

We were passing through and needed a place to camp for the night. The camp hostess was so friendly and helped us get a perfect camp spot for our needs. Very quiet and clean. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Not bad

Mid September and nice and quiet. Site was right on lake. Campground provided potable water as our site had no water. Had 30amp service. Would go back.

Very fun for kids

This is a nice park with a lot of activities for kids including a pool and jumping pad. The main park of the campground has people packed in pretty close. There a some spots that are more expensive with more space. I thought this place was a little high priced in general.

Sketchy

My girlfriend and I drove through the park before we booked a campsite and I’m glad we did! It was rough. We did not spend the night even though there were plenty of openings.

A perfect getaway

Everything was beautiful. We camped for a week in southern Minnesota state parks, but this one is our favourite.

Great Stop Over

We got there right after a major thunderstorm that took out a lot of trees so the place looked ragged but it was a nice place.

The Internet was good.  It was a typical KOA and everything was kept up and clean.

They did have a $1 Sunday when we got there which was fun Ice Cream and topping for $1.  Then that night they had movies which was nice.  A great pool and play area for the kids.

Since we drove through the horrible storm we really did not want to get out and explore the area any more so even though it seemed to be great place to stay I don't know what is around the area.

I do know the people were friendly and nice and even after a major storm like that they were cleaning up and getting everything back to normal.

We will be coming back here as we cross MN again.

Great Campground

This is a great campground in Mankato, MN.  The sites are huge and offer water and electric.  The shower house/bathrooms were decent - a little outdated, but not too bad.  There was also a portable toilet near our site.  We wish there was sewer, but we understand that being so close to the river this may not be possible.  We will definitely stay here again if we are in the area.

Enjoyment for every age!

The winter was a long one last year and we were itching to take our new 30foot Jayco Eagle bunkhouse travel trailer out for its maiden voyage! We decided that my birthday weekend was the perfect opportunity to do just that. To be on the safe side, incase we had issues, we decided to stay close to home so we decided to hit up a new park, Nerstrand Big Woods State Park just outside Northfield, Minnesota. This park is only an hour from the twin cities and very convenient for a weekend getaway after work on friday.

We stayed In campsite 27 which was an electric campsite that was pretty open to all the other campsites. Most of the campsites there were really open and you could see and other peoples campsites so if that’s not your style of camping I wouldn’t go to Nerstrand big Woods. There is also water hook up at the park in that site and some of the other sites but that wasn’t listed when we booked the site.

The park office was just a short walk or a bike ride from the campsites and had a very nice gift shop and bathrooms there. There is also a really nice shower and bathroom building right next to the campground host site. Just off the campground was a really nice playground for the kids that utilized tree stumps and tree branches as the playground. There was a really large picnic area and picnic shelter also.

Along with electric sites there’s also just tent sites without electric if that’s your style camping.

Nerstrand Big Woods Is very well known for its beautiful waterfall that you can walk on and the trail leading to the waterfall was also a great hike.

All in all I think Nerstrand Big Woods was a good choice for a weekend getaway for a little family of four. And it gave us a lot to do because in The little city of Northfield there was a lot of little shops and cute little restaurants to eat at the shop at. Northfield is also home to the Malt-o-meal Museum and production. My husband and I are big craft brewery fans And we’re pretty stoked to find out that there were three breweries around the park. We visited Tanzenwald and Chapel brewery and tried flights at each one. Out of the two we thought Tanzenwald was the best for staff friendliness and prices. Each flight we got a 4 5ounce pours were only 4$. There was also a restaurant at that brewery with really good cheese curds.

We decided that Nerstrand Isn’t our favorite park but it’s a good option for us to be able to get away in short notice close to home with a lot of activities around for us to do.

Whitefox Campground

This campground has a TON of sites!  There are close to 60 sites in all, about a third to half of those are electric sites.  If you like open spaces, this is a wonderful place to camp.

Beautiful, clean, and recently updated bathrooms and showers!

So much wildlife to see at this park.  Seeing large groups of deer was a daily/nightly thing!

The park has 20+ miles of hiking trails through prairies, woodlands, and along the lake too!  PLus the park offers geocashing (and free GPS rental), as well as canoes, kayaks, paddle boards, and a small fishing that can be rented!

A lot to offer here!

Amazing staff unbelievably clean

This was the cleanest campground I’ve ever been to. Well maintained and clean. There was a pretty bad storm that came through and the staff was quick to clean up downed branches and help all the folks who got damage.

Super fun waterfall; “walk in” sites not much of a walk

My partner and the pup and I hopped down to Nerstrand for the weekend and had a lovely time!

Campsite: We reserved WI2… and it was no different than a car camping site- not sure what the deal is there, but we didn’t mind. There are four “walk in” sites, and you can see one another from all of them. Sites 1 and 3 require a walk about three car lengths to the tent pad, and 4 is not much farther. We would call all of it car camping. It was a nice site, but after a rain, some of the neighbors pads were totally flooded. Eek! One more positive and remarkable thing was the birdsong at dawn and dusk… so beautiful and unique - sounded like a jungle. Expect to see fireflies at night too!! Ps: The regular campground is so tightly packed and everyone’s out in the open… definitely not ideal for us. The showers are private and way nicer than I expected though!

Hiking: due to weather we just took one small trail to the waterfall- a winding stream makes an appearance through the trees and ferns, then you get to the waterfall!! I wish we could have gone on the other trails- there’s always next time!

Waterfall: this is so amazing to have right close to the cities. It’s shallow enough to (carefully) walk in from the top of the falls for a while- and then down at the bottom too! The most approachable falls ever. A few deep pockets so you can really swim, and a gorgeous, totally tree surrounded area. Just a lovely playground. Cute and weird all black winged dragonflies fluttered all around the falls, and they have shiny turquoise bodies. It was unbelievably beautiful.

Town of Faribault: Bernie’s has so so food and super slow service - last resort kind of place. The Faribault Woolen Mill is there and I’d suggest a tour there if you’re interested in that kind of thing!

I love this campground! Clean, well maintained, and the hosts are very friendly. Trail to the beach is clear, the playground has nice, safe equipment for the little kids. Sad that there were so many back up sites over the holiday weekend, would have liked to have been able to camp here. It being full more than a week before the holiday, shows how great it is.

Not my favorite

I prefer Clear Lake State park, but this was ok. We had lots of rain, and the sites got a bit muddy. The beach area was closed due to e-coli. Restrooms were clean, and always stocked.

Lots of room

Pull through sites, bathhouse was clean and showers were individual room with timed lights, motion sensors kept the shower interesting! Got to see turtles laying eggs and deer were all around. Family loved the fishing.

Great for Littles

This is a fun campground for young kids. It has a lot of things to do to keep them going all day. Clean bathrooms are a plus too. The one drawback, in my opinion, is that the lake it is right next to doesn’t have a beach for swimming. That was a little disappointing for me. Otherwise it is a fun campground resort & I will be heading back next year!

Good for the kiddos, office closes by 6 on weekdays

Pay close attention to times for activities here. Things start late and end early. Lots to do, and good overall. Some tlc is needed (mowing, weeds). Overall we would come back during the week for another fun time.

Nice campground, good trails

We got a last second site and stayed for just one night. The sites were great for tents and relatively shady, but an RV had some trouble in our loop and had to move to another site. Where we set up our tent was pretty rocky and hurt the feet when you stood barefoot in the tent even with an extra tarp, so be careful where you set your tent.

There is no swimming beach, but the ranger gave us directions to another beach nearby. Next time we visit we'll be sure to check that out. Early June is good as the bugs there aren't bad at all.

The trails were nice, wish we had brought our bikes to hit the Sakatah/Singing Hills trail, looked lovely! The fishing dock was fun for the little kiddos to visit.

Awesome camp ground

Pond is great and has a very nice sand beach!

The big woods secret

Nerstrand is nestled just outside Faribault MN. The town has a great downtown area on the river with places to eat and little shops. Our kids especially loved the little ice cream and sub shop in downtown. And let’s be honest the adults loved it to.

The campground is kind of open to each site. Our site looked directly into two other sites and the site was tore up due to a larger truck parking there before us. Which the park could not control.

The walk from the campground to hidden falls if you take the back way down is very steep going down and coming back up. There is a separate trail that leads from the main parking area down to the falls which has stairs and is a much easier walk.

Once you get to the falls your greeted by a waterfall that is approximately 14 feet high that you can easily walk across the creek and go under the falls.

Flowers at the park are very beautiful with a kind that I can’t remember that only blooms within the park area and a few select areas outside.

There is also an obstacle course made from tree logs that the kids loved. They built a plastic slide into the side of a hill and used logs as the steps to climb up.

Bathrooms were very well maintained and they had several private showers with locking doors.

Overall the camping experience was a great one at Nerstrand and we would love to go back with it’s close proximity to the twin cities.

Very pretty place

A nice state park they have good hiking and biking trails with great scenery like waterfalls and rivers

Decent campground for the price

A decent campground. They have a pool with some water slides, an arcade, some fishing ponds, play equipment, a giant bouncy cushion and a couple of inflatable bouncy houses. My only complaints were that a fair amount of things were out of order and the place wasn’t very clean other than that we had a good time.

Decent campground for the price

Very clean campground

Had a great time at Brookside over the Father’s Day weekend. Met the owners, super nice people. Very clean shower room and restroom. The porta potty by our site needed extra fluid, the owner was on top of it within 10 minutes. Held a bags tournament for all ages to enter and then teams were randomly picked. My partner and I won it. Definitely would go back here.

Big and Beautiful

Great campground. Family and friends get together a must here. Close to the beach, town and the lake has great fish. Reserve early!

Just enough trees

This is a state campground. So as most will know the sites could be better maintained. The bathrooms are updated and nice. When there is heavy rain you will however have your own pond at most sites. I guess you pay for what you get. I love this campground because they are large spots. Close to the beach and fishing is awesome. A big campground but reserve early!

Updated and Ready to Camp

This campground is huge! Has a big open spot for fun and games. Great fishing lake. A beach for the kids. Great family campground

Highly recommended family spot

Right off county road and next to the river. The bathrooms and shower facilities are very basic, but the showers are nice and warm. There is a great playground area and a horseshoe pit play area. There is a public access point to the river, adjacent to the park. Lots of big shade trees throughout the camp sites, perfect for hammocks. The spot is very quiet, according to all of our kids. There are electric camp sights camps available. Prices are very reasonable. If you like to wake up and walk a few steps to fish, canoe, paddle board or swim, then this park is a dream come true.

Nice

Great park for kids and for adults to relax. Decently priced.

Fun for kids

Definitely centered around kids. Very busy, pretty expensive…there is a required length of stay, so if u don’t have time or are not certain the weather will cooperate to get the most of your $ spent, I don’t recommend.