About Gooseberry Falls State Park
Hike In
Gooseberry Falls State Park is located in Minnesota
41 Reviews of Gooseberry Falls State Park
Gooseberry never disappounts campsite 50

5/3/19-5/5/19. I’ve hiked Gooseberry Falls MANY times over the years (including trips to the lesser known Fifth Falls, which is a must-see, by the way) but this was my first time camping here.

The snow had melted and the ground was dry. The park was empty for the most part. None of the sites are right on the lake, there is a road in between, but a few had nicer lake views. Those sites were taken so we landed in site 50, in the center of the campground. Our campsite had many pines and was somewhat secluded. A few sites were close by and privacy may be an issue in the busier season, but it worked just fine in early May. The indoor bathrooms were open, which was a plus and a short walk from our site. There were several paths that led to the lake and views were gorgeous, sunrise views with a morning coffee were beautiful. These were trails I had never explored and are only accessible if you park nearby or are camping.

Besides being less crowded, the best part about camping in early May is spring runoff and the waterfalls are massive and flowing with lots of power. We coined it waterfall weekend and took full advantage of many waterfalls up and down 61.

Overall I would recommend camping at Gooseberry - semi-private, quiet and near Lake Superior. Hiking is fabulous here in all seasons . I do wish they maintained a few campsites in the winter.

Incredible but busy

Beautiful and well maintained park. Super busy in the summer months but worth the trip. Easy hike to the best of the Falls.

Kicking Tires

Lots of great camp sites available and awesome hiking. Bathrooms were clean so that was a plus. It’s a little annoying that you can only park one vehicle at your site when there was room for 3 or more. The other parking lot isn’t close or safe to walk to in the dark. I really wish you would have just charged us for 2 cars.

Always Great

We’ve camped multiple times at gooseberry falls at different times of the year and it never disappoints. We also love hiking the park in winter. This is one of my favorite places to camp and spend time outside. The water is fun to walk thru and the hike is easy and enjoyable.

Tons of photography opportunities

Just beautiful and peaceful.

Super awesome campground

Gooseberry is a great campground. It's got multiple waterfalls, a lava flow, and great views of Lake Superior. Campground is nice as well and has some great trails as well. Gift shop is pretty cool too. This is the one park my wife and I have to go camping at every year

Beautiful clean park

Gooseberry Falls State Park is absolutely delightful. The campsites are easy to pull in and there are trees though some sites are very close together on the inner track on the inside. The pit toilets are clean, appreciated the dump water station, and the pathways are excellent to go hiking and to go to Lake Superior as well as the falls. The falls were very busy when we visited and there was no room in the parking lot. My son did walk to the falls from our campsite and enjoyed it. There were lots of people there however. My verizon showed two bars while at the site.

Spacious and Spectacular!

We stayed at drive-in 49 and loved it! Private trail directly to the showers, restrooms and water. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. 49 is close to the Gitchi Gami trail so that was also nice considering we were rollerblading. Highly recommended campground and park!

Gooseberry Falls State Park is gorgeous and I highly recommend making the trip up there! Have been going since I was a baby and will always love being there!

Spectacular scenery and great access to hiking trails

The entire Gooseberry Falls State Park and campground were built in the 1930’s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The stone work is amazing! There are great hiking trails along the waterfalls as well as away from the water along the Superior Trail (which was developed long after the CCC work ended). The campground has nice sized private campsites, newer and clean modern showers and bathrooms. The campground is very popular and fills up fast, so you might want to make reservations. Supposedly there are one or two kayak in sites at the mouth of the river, but I did not check it out. This park is VERY busy with visitors who want to see and play in the falls. But it is easy to escape the crowds- just head out on one of the hiking trails away from the falls and you will have the place to yourself.