About Gooseberry Falls
Hike In
Gooseberry Falls is located in Minnesota
46 Reviews of Gooseberry Falls
Nice park falls you can walk in & around. Primitive camping

We spent an afternoon at the falls it was warm out so the falls were busy. People having a great time in the water and walking over the falls. The parking lot to walk to the falls & gift store can be full we had to wait for a spot. It's a very busy park and the campground had a lot of campers mostly tents the day we were there. No hook ups yet some nice sites. The trail to the falls is mostly paved and level. There's a store/gift shop it looked nice but was closed due to Covid-19.

My favorites were #57, 17, 36, 44, 47, 51 (no shade), 52, 62 (private site) and 64. Site 6 is a pull thru. There is drinking water and a dump station.

We stayed at Tettegouche State Park yet all these parks are close & along the shore.

If You Love Waterfalls You Will Love this Campground!

Gooseberry Falls State Park is gorgeous! There are 3 main waterfalls with many places to wade in the water and go swimming along with numerous hiking trails and many other activities.

From my observations the majority of people that come to Gooseberry Falls State Park only visit the falls so they were crowded when was there.

I really enjoyed doing and seeing these things while I camped there:

1.) The Falls

2.) Picnic Table Area

3.) Hike along Lake Superior

4.) Fifth Falls Trail

Here is a video highlighting the Falls and my list of suggestions of things to do while camping here.

Epic views!

This campground is amazing! We had a "hike in" campsite which was a gravel trail about a quarter mile in from the parking lot. Our site overlooked Lake Superior and had a stunning view of the light house. I would very highly recommend this campground. It was clean, had nice bathrooms and easy access to everything

Probably the most popular North Shore state park for families

Gooseberry falls is THE spot on the north shore to visit if you don’t want to go too far past Duluth and you or your possible children enjoy splish splashing in waterfalls. This also means that you might have issues finding parking on a nice weekend, so you might as well have your own campsite to stash your car and explore the park from your home base! My reservation was cancelled because of COVID-19. We still swung by the campground to check it out since some of our other reservations were still maintained up north, and an empty campground is actually perfect for assessing campsite quality!

One of the first things that I noticed was that most of the campground was HOT in early June. This is pretty unusual for a north shore campground, only the sites closest to the lake had any sort of cool breeze. A lot of the sites were kind of cramped, but I’m not surprised since they probably tried to cram as many sites in here as possible since it is so popular.

Sites that I liked: 1, 8, 19, 20 and 22 are good sites if you are camping next to another couple, 23, 25, 31, 32, 38, 47, 56, 59, 69 and 70. If you are handicapped then sites 19, 21, and 42 are spacious and flat. See pictures/videos to check out these sites!

Beautiful Campground

Lots of hiking and biking trails. Quiet and spacious sites. Very nice bathrooms. Falls are beautiful.

Gooseberry never disappounts campsite 50

5/3/19-5/5/19. I’ve hiked Gooseberry Falls MANY times over the years (including trips to the lesser known Fifth Falls, which is a must-see, by the way) but this was my first time camping here.

The snow had melted and the ground was dry. The park was empty for the most part. None of the sites are right on the lake, there is a road in between, but a few had nicer lake views. Those sites were taken so we landed in site 50, in the center of the campground. Our campsite had many pines and was somewhat secluded. A few sites were close by and privacy may be an issue in the busier season, but it worked just fine in early May. The indoor bathrooms were open, which was a plus and a short walk from our site. There were several paths that led to the lake and views were gorgeous, sunrise views with a morning coffee were beautiful. These were trails I had never explored and are only accessible if you park nearby or are camping.

Besides being less crowded, the best part about camping in early May is spring runoff and the waterfalls are massive and flowing with lots of power. We coined it waterfall weekend and took full advantage of many waterfalls up and down 61.

Overall I would recommend camping at Gooseberry - semi-private, quiet and near Lake Superior. Hiking is fabulous here in all seasons . I do wish they maintained a few campsites in the winter.

Incredible but busy

Beautiful and well maintained park. Super busy in the summer months but worth the trip. Easy hike to the best of the Falls.

Kicking Tires

Lots of great camp sites available and awesome hiking. Bathrooms were clean so that was a plus. It’s a little annoying that you can only park one vehicle at your site when there was room for 3 or more. The other parking lot isn’t close or safe to walk to in the dark. I really wish you would have just charged us for 2 cars.

Always Great

We’ve camped multiple times at gooseberry falls at different times of the year and it never disappoints. We also love hiking the park in winter. This is one of my favorite places to camp and spend time outside. The water is fun to walk thru and the hike is easy and enjoyable.

Tons of photography opportunities

Just beautiful and peaceful.