About Gooseberry Falls State Park
Hike In
Gooseberry Falls State Park is located in Minnesota
40 Reviews of Gooseberry Falls State Park
Incredible but busy

Beautiful and well maintained park. Super busy in the summer months but worth the trip. Easy hike to the best of the Falls.

Kicking Tires

Lots of great camp sites available and awesome hiking. Bathrooms were clean so that was a plus. It’s a little annoying that you can only park one vehicle at your site when there was room for 3 or more. The other parking lot isn’t close or safe to walk to in the dark. I really wish you would have just charged us for 2 cars.

Always Great

We’ve camped multiple times at gooseberry falls at different times of the year and it never disappoints. We also love hiking the park in winter. This is one of my favorite places to camp and spend time outside. The water is fun to walk thru and the hike is easy and enjoyable.

Tons of photography opportunities

Just beautiful and peaceful.

Super awesome campground

Gooseberry is a great campground. It's got multiple waterfalls, a lava flow, and great views of Lake Superior. Campground is nice as well and has some great trails as well. Gift shop is pretty cool too. This is the one park my wife and I have to go camping at every year

Beautiful clean park

Gooseberry Falls State Park is absolutely delightful. The campsites are easy to pull in and there are trees though some sites are very close together on the inner track on the inside. The pit toilets are clean, appreciated the dump water station, and the pathways are excellent to go hiking and to go to Lake Superior as well as the falls. The falls were very busy when we visited and there was no room in the parking lot. My son did walk to the falls from our campsite and enjoyed it. There were lots of people there however. My verizon showed two bars while at the site.

Spacious and Spectacular!

We stayed at drive-in 49 and loved it! Private trail directly to the showers, restrooms and water. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. 49 is close to the Gitchi Gami trail so that was also nice considering we were rollerblading. Highly recommended campground and park!

Gooseberry Falls State Park is gorgeous and I highly recommend making the trip up there! Have been going since I was a baby and will always love being there!

Spectacular scenery and great access to hiking trails

The entire Gooseberry Falls State Park and campground were built in the 1930’s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The stone work is amazing! There are great hiking trails along the waterfalls as well as away from the water along the Superior Trail (which was developed long after the CCC work ended). The campground has nice sized private campsites, newer and clean modern showers and bathrooms. The campground is very popular and fills up fast, so you might want to make reservations. Supposedly there are one or two kayak in sites at the mouth of the river, but I did not check it out. This park is VERY busy with visitors who want to see and play in the falls. But it is easy to escape the crowds- just head out on one of the hiking trails away from the falls and you will have the place to yourself.

Easy Access for Lake Superior Road Trip Adventures

Stopped at Gooseberry on our way up the coast of Lake Superior on a long weekend. The state park is easy to access right off the highway, but with the amount of nature at your fingertips there you easily forget that you're on the roadside when you't in the campground!

There are 3 waterfalls in the park and plenty of hiking options. We were there in the late spring and the summer trails were open. Hardy hikers can find winter trail maps here as well. The Gitichi Gami state trail passes through the park if you camp with your bike.

The waterfalls are very busy since they are a roadside attraction, but most visitors don't stay long or make it past the first parking lot.