About Savanna Portage State Park
Hike In
Savanna Portage State Park is located in Minnesota
7 Reviews of Savanna Portage State Park
Very quiet...

This would be a great place for anyone wanting seclusion and to disconnect. No wi fi signal. I was stopped here overnight in site #29 during a 4 day cache "-"! It simply fit my timeline for this excursion. However, next year it will not be a destination. Marsh areas and mosquitoes are prevalent.

Savanna Portage campground at Shumway Lake

Nice wooded sites, with fairly flat tent pads. Good camping community feel with centrally located, water, bathrooms, and showers. Great fishing dock within walking distance. Beach within driving or biking distance. Nice hiking but park is in a wetland so it’s very buggy.

Savannah Portage for a trek through time

This state park is definitely off the beaten path, with the Savannah Portage itself almost as it 200 years ago when Americans explorers came trekking through. It is worth a visit to the park to experience and learn about 1) the physical geography of the important continental divide that occurs here, dividing the Great Lakes watershed from the Mississippi watershed, and 2) to hike the Savannah Portage to experience and learn about expedition history along this old historic fur trade route. The opportunities for hiking and nature study are really good here.For canoers, there are a couple small lakes within the park, but you can also easily get out to the very large Big Sandy Lake just to the west, and even on to the Mississippi River nearby. As for the camping experience, I would agree that the campsites are a bit small and crowded in, which is a bit on the down side. You might like one if the hike in sites or canoe in site if you want ti be more secluded. On my most recent trip in very early June it was surprisingly bug-free, but it is often really buggy later in summer due to the myriad swamps and marshes in the vicinity. If it is available, you might want to consider the camper cabin! Also, autumn is a spectacular time to visit, lots of color and no bugs, and I have friends who come here in winter, the camper cabin and guesthouse are open year round, I havent stayed with them overnight but did visit for the day one weekend in February, and being in the park in winter for snowshoeing was beautiful and amazing!

Nice but buggy

We did one overnight at Savanna Portage State Park with my young children. The sites were smaller than we had hoped and we ended up moving to a new site, which they typically use for a group site and was much better to allow us to spread out and they even allowed us to park two vehicles up there. We enjoyed renting canoes for a bit in the afternoon and borrowed a kids activity kit. The bugs were pretty intense, a lot of mosquitoes, flies, and several wood ticks, so we recommend a screen tent for eating.

Continental Divide

First off everyone says the bugs are terrible. I'm from Florida so we're used to billions and billions of bugs.They weren't that bad. The hike to see the continental divide was really cool. We saw a fox and a deer which was cool. Then spent the evening canoeing one of the lakes listening to Loons. The camp sites were a little too close but that's really the only negative. We enjoyed our visit there.

Great Backpacking Site, but July is Rough for Bugs

This park is a nice one but we went in Mid-July and the bugs were terrible!!! So bad that we actually went into town to eat dinner at dusk to avoid the worst of it.

But back to the good, the back pack sites are GREAT! Totally private and there is a little shed on at the site (pictured) that came stocked with fire wood! I couldn't believe it. The hike to the site was a relatively easy under 2 miles, so you can go with a little more luxuries than other backpack sites. I will make a trip back next year during the fall.

Beautiful Stay!

Wonderful weekend with family and friends, park was well maintained, and park officials were courteous and genuine!