Superior National Forest , MINNESOTA

Camping Minnesota Superior National Forest

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Superior National Forest Camping Reviews
First Backpack Trip

Came here for my first Backpack one nighter. I stayed at site #3 in early June 2020. The sound and sights of the river was mesmerizing. Mosquitoes were the worst in the parking lot but tamed once I got moving and applied some spray. The walk in was a little confusing and I took the wrong right turn but it was easy to get back to the main path then get back on track. Rugged terrain with rocks and roots, ups and downs, and so beautiful!! The smell of hemlocks was so lovely and the wildflowers made me swoon. Logs were set around a fire ring. There was no bear locker and I had to hang my bag. The primitive toilet was a little walk and closer to the next backpack site (#4). I believe there was a pit toilet in the parking lot as well.

Lucky!

Not sure how it happened but mid-August I scored cart in spot 46 in the lower campground, right on Lake Superior!! The carts appeared newly updated and rode well. The walk from car to site was short. It's up on a little "cliff" but getting to the shore is accessible, though somewhat steep. There was a pit toilet a short walk away. No trees present that would make a hammock tenting possible.

Beautiful Lake

We stayed here in mid Sept. 2020. We had taken a spot at Four-Mile Lake but it was not near the lake, so the next day we walked the mile to Toohey, which had been full the day before. Some picnickers were in the site I wanted, but planning to leave soon. I stayed and kept the site occupied while my husband drove back and got our Rialta euro-camper. The bonus was our site at Four-Mile was quite large so we were able to let some folks who had a big family gathering take over our larger site!

Because of the covid virus camping popularity, there was a lot of competition for these free forest service sites. The NFS had also closed about half of their campgrounds. It was a constant stream of people driving by looking for a spot.

I loved our site. It was right on a nice stretch of lake shore, with a fire pit that had a great lake view. It was not level so it was a bit tricky leveling the RV, but that was the only down side. It's the first site you come to, off by itself away from the other 6 sites. Sure the trucks and campers were driving by in front of the site, but that didn't bother me.

The day we left, there was still a parade of campground seekers. A nice couple asked us if we were leaving that day and we told them to hang around for an hour or so, and they pulled right in when we left.

A diamond in the forest

We spent our time at this site in the late Fall. We want to catch the peak autumn colours. The camp site is very wooded and spacious. The camp host are very nice…they even kept the water on that late. Well for being there in the late fall, we were the only ones there. There are very cool hikes nearby: Vermilion falls, Vermilion gorge trail which was our favorite and voyageur NP. I’ll say…very awesome spot up north.

Back in the beautiful woods

We were planning to stay at Tettegouche State Park, but completely booked. After a bit of poking around the area we came across Finland State Campground. What a find!! Almost all of the sites are secluded. All are back in the woods, yet easily accessed. Our 32' 5er an easy fit. There are no hookups, water is a pump style so fill your big tank before arriving. This is good camping.

Bears! Site 17

Drive in site with a designated parking spot. Same parking area and walk in trail as site 15 and 16. Last site of three on the small path. Very unique and very large. You can hear your neighbors but there is more coverage between them than the rest. There are a few steep built in steps to get up to this site, but the main area is very flat. Cliff front might not be small kid friendly, but there is a path down to the water. Stunning view. There is good tree coverage to put a tarp up, but also to see the stars. It can get windy, so bring the good tent stakes. The site has plenty of rocks to pound them in place. There is more than one space to put a tent.

We had a bear visit us about 8:30 after we had put the fire out in a very windy night. He has walked up from the water using the area between site 17 and 16. These three sites are near a dumpster, you can hear the lid close occasionally and I assume this was the bears motivation. Keep you food, trash, and grey water taken care of. You will have visitors.

. Drinking water is next to the bathrooms, which is about 300 feet away. This site has a waterfront view of one of the Saganaga Lake coves. You can walk your way down to the water. Might not be little kid friendly, but the water and view are beautiful. This site has a ground inset fire pit with grate and picnic table, but no bear box. You will need a bear bag or put your food in your vehicle. There are bears.

Site 16

Drive in site with a designated parking spot. Same parking area and walk in trail as site 15 and 17. Second of three on the small path. Very small and no privacy. You can see straight to the main path and hear everyone. There is Medium coverage between site 17 and 15.

Site 15

Drive in site with a designated parking spot. Same parking area and walk in trail as site 16 and 17. First site of three on the small path. Good size, but very little privacy. The neighboring site 14, has a few trees between, but you can see through and hear everything.

Baptism river walk-in site 6

Walk-in site 6 is close to parking (and to the RVs/pop ups/ etc though there are plenty of woods (even in autumn) to feel private . sites 7&8 are further back in the woods, and I would def reserve one on the future.

When I got there were warnings on the walk-in site parking signs, as well as on the campsite picnic tables, warning the black bears had been seen in the campsites. So use the lockers or put all food, cooking utensils, and hygiene products in your car.

There is about toilet at the end of the trail, and is clean-ish.

Trailheads are only minutes walk away.

I don’t know if this is specifically Covid related, but the campsite was supposed to be full, but over half the sites were empty. There is no one working at the welcome center during Covid, so you must reserve on the DNR website. Also, bring cash for firewood.

I do know that because of covid a lot more people are visiting the parks. The main trails along the river were packed! I’m talking multiple larger groups (some as big as 10 people); the trailhead parking lot by Baptism River campsite was full by 8 am, and by noon people were parked a 1/4 mile down the road. When I left at 2 pm, every parking lot was full and people were parked along side Hwy 61. I also noticed more garbage/litter along the river than ever. So—my suggestion is to camp here and stay away from the river.

Not a campground

It is someone’s driveway. A residential property off of the highway. There are no signs for camping or any indications that is this is other than a residential home.