Equestrian
About Mille Lacs Kathio State Park
Mille Lacs Kathio State Park is located in Minnesota
12 Reviews of Mille Lacs Kathio State Park
Large sites, beautiful location

Located just south of Mille Lacs in central Minnesota, Mille Lacs Kathio State Park is large and welcoming.

In addition to a state park and campground, the park is also on the nation register of historical sites, owing to the large number of archeological digs, revealing human activity in the area that dates back thousands of years.

The sites are large and spaced decently from each other. We could have used a little more privacy between sites, but this can be written off as an effect of being nearly in the season.

With the exception of a large family reunion, the park was quiet and you can easily find yourself alone from the crowds.

Canoes are available for rental, which allow for fishing in the Rum River. There is also an observation platform- the climb can be intimidating, but the views are well worth it!

I wasn’t able to find a spot to find a spot to fish from shore at, but that could just be my failure.

The Interpretive Center gave you a really good glimpse into the wildlife and history of the area, as well as provided an assortment of activities.

The facilities were a little time-worn, but clean, and the water in the showers heater fast.

My family and I had a wonderful time, and will be back!

Great hiking trails!

We stayed in a camper cabin that was just perfect. Lots of hiking to be done and the fire towers are one of my favorite!

Scenic Campground

This is for the Ogechie campground.

Very scenic park along Mille Lacs Lake. Very quiet campground, rustic (no running-water toilets or showers, but you can go to the campground over to use those if you want to). A great place to relax and go hiking - tons of trails!

great park

We have camped here a few times. Kathio is a big park with lots of trails. Camp sites are decent sized and most have trees in between them. some of the sites are bigger and more secluded. All sites except hike-ins have fire pit with grill grate and picnic table. mosquitos are extra brutal mid summer here so be prepared.

Flies and Mosquitos

We were really excited about our luck finding a practically empty state park in July for a Thursday impromptu camping trip. Before we even stopped the car the deer flies were pelting the windows. Hundreds. I wish I was exaggerating. My husband and I tried to ignore it because we really wanted to explore the tower, hiking, and educational experiences. We lasted 20 minutes which gave us both dozens of fly and mosquito bites. Visit in the spring or fall and it would be a beautiful place to explore.

Too many bugs for summer

Beautiful state park, but WAY too many mosquitos in the summer. we had at least 100 bites after our trip. They have a lot of hiking trails and a really cool fire tower that you can climb and see all of the surrounding area. Definitely recommend, but in the spring or fall months.

Nice Hiking Trails

Lots of trails, close fishing, and an awesome lookout tower!!

Bros trip

Another trip with the brothers!!!

Brothers trip

Took my 3 little brothers camping here. We chose one of the dispersed sites so had to walk aways but worth it! We had a pretty nice spot on bottom of hill away from everyone. It was nice and secluded. We tend to be loud so chose a place away from everyone! We had a blast and took them up to observation tower as well!!! Well two who would go!

Nice and peaceful

Lots of nearby trails that are very peaceful to walk on. Dogs are welcome here! The campground was quiet and clean. My husband was with me and he and buddies went hunting for game birds. Great hunting!! Would stay here again!