Equestrian
About Forestville Mystery Cave State Park
Forestville Mystery Cave State Park is located in Minnesota
10 Reviews of Forestville Mystery Cave State Park
Great experience!

We tent camped here and loved it. We were able to do a lot of trail exploring and had a great time on the “scenic” cave tour. The trails were well maintained but difficult to understand in some places as signage was lacking.

There is a primitive loop with pit toilets, a tent loop with no electricity but access to showers and flush toilets, and a trailer loop with all accommodations.

There are great cold water trout streams that are shallow enough to wade in and play in if the weather is warmer. Hiking trails of varying skill levels but all in mostly wooded areas. Forestville townsite is closed during the week but you can wander around the outside of the buildings and site. No gates or posted restrictions.

Camp

Grear family camp area!

Family friendly adventures await among the tall oakes and maples

Mystery Cave State Park is surrounded in in a lush green forest with huge oak and maple trees that hang over the road like a huge living canopy. My new word while we stayed there was “Forresty” due to feeling like we had entered a different world. There are so many activities to do both within the park and surrounding areas, but my most favorite thing to do was walk the endless miles of hiking trails. (Word to the wise, some of the trails are hiking/equestrian so watch your step😂) We didn’t do our homework, but if we would have known, we would have brought our fishing rods as the rivers were full of trout!!

We arrived at 2:00pm on Saturday, after a long 5 hour drive from northern Minnesota. It was amazing to watch the landscape change from iron ore mining pits to countless acres of corn and potatoes!! Check in time is 4:00pm, but our spot was empty when we arrived, so the park rangers let us set up early (Friendly and most helpful!!) We grabbed a bundle of wood for $6.00 for a campfire while we were at the park office. (that is pretty normal rates as you can’t bring in your own wood at State Parks in Minnesota) There are 3 different loops, an additional equestrian loop, and 5 cabins. We stayed in loop “C” with has bigger sites for RV’s and offers electricity. Loops “A” and “B” have smaller sites (still big!!) and both of those loops are non-electric. None of the sites are “full” hook up, but there is a dump station & fresh water fill right off the park office. The restrooms and showers are just off of the “C” loop, as was the amphitheater, and there are garbage/recycling bins every 4-5th site. The park was very noisy, but that all changed when most of the folks left Sunday. It was very peaceful the rest of the week.

There are so many things outside the park to do too!! We were not aware, but the Mystery Cave is a short drive from the state park. We took the scenic tour, and our guide Kip was fantastic!!! Hey let everyone ask all the questions they wanted to, and didn’t rush us at all!! The rate is $15.00 for adults, $10.00 for kids 5-12, and kids under 5 go for free. The pictures just don’t do it justice!! The next day we drove to Masonic Park in Spring Valley and we were amazed by the sheer size of the rock face!! There is no charge to picnic or visit there and there is one spot for camping, but you need to get permission from the city before doing so. We also toured Niagra Cave which is a longer drive, but well worth it!! The underground waterfall was super cool!! They charge $16.00 per adult, kids 4-12 are $10.00, and children under 4 are free.

All in all this was a great get away for our family, and I highly recommend staying at the park:)

Caves for days.

Forestville is a quaint state park with a lot of interesting history. It can be a little confusing because the camping and mystery caves are a distance apart. I highly recommend going to the caves. They are very intriguing but bring a jacket because it is quite cold down there. Lanesboro MN is close by too which is a cool town to visit with small town shops and cool bars.

Fun state park with amazing caves

I've been here twice and it's always been great. The cave tours are well done and the sites are scenic and tucked into the woods. There is also a winery (Four Daughter) not far away that's more than worth stopping at.

Literally in the middle of the forest

This campground is eh. Its very dewy and wet, not because it rained or anything but because the vegetation is very thick. We walked around the historic town of Forestville at night and it was really really creepy. There is no flush toilets. There are port-o-potties and water pumps. We stopped here for the last night of our road trip because we couldn't make it home in one shot. I wouldn't stop here again because it was so wet and just a forest.

History and Trails

Fun visit to the park and historic Forestville. We did not see the caves. Camp ground was nice. Adequate shower facilities. Very nice trail system, very will maintained trails all through park. Historic Forestville is a fun stop (additional $). We had some wet weather come through, but because of the sandy soils, things dried out and drained very quickly.

Campground and cave

I camped in the A Loop, site 13. Wonderful area, quiet, scenic campgrounds. Vault toilets with one shower house. Many miles of trails, great fishing and scenery!! Definitely will return! Cave was neat! I hadn't been there since I was a kid. Neat formations and knowledgeable tour guides.

forester

I came here to explore the caves and it blew me away. I think the cave was around 12-13 miles long and there was water and different formations. The floor was really wet so bring shoes you wont slip in. This was worth the time and an experience you wont forget

Beautiful Park and Awesome Activities

I loved the campground area which nestled in a small valley. On top of that it has this awesome living history 1800's village managed by the Minnesota Historical Society. There's also a very interesting cave with a museum and all the talactites, stalagmites, and underground pools you can imagine.