St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, MINNESOTA
Camping Minnesota St. Croix National Scenic Riverway
Most Recent St. Croix National Scenic Riverway Camping Reviews
Awesome

Does not have water sewer hookups but had a station to dump and fill has electricity at most sites close to water has boat access and camp ground is outside of an awesome lil town

Well laid out grounds very close to water and play ground great showers

Fills up fast is well kept close to Duluth and numerous other places with exciting things to do hiking trails swimming canoeing is outside a quiet quaint town  the rangers are helpful and on duty 24 hrs a day  has spots for bigger campers

Hidden gem near the metro

It’s rustic with charm. Friendly management that will surprise you with their willingness to make your experience the best it can be. Taylor’s Falls and St Croix Falls nearby. Great hiking in the hardwoods in the campground or along the scenic St Croix river.

Great time!

We spent 10 days here and had a great time. This is a very busy park. Popular with the locals and frequently used for family get-togethers. Noticed a number of sites that had multiple units and cars. Difficult to get a site on a weekend. Nice beach. Great boating. Super hosts who bend over backwards to accommodate all, almost to a fault. Witnessed people taking advantage of their kindness--checking out late, parked where they shouldn’t be, using a chair to save a spot for someone,… We will return. Some nice sites on the water.

Best Campground EVER

The people are very friendly. There is a nice inflatable park for the kids. They will bring you up the river to float down and land on their nice sand beach. Will defiantly come again!!

State park status .

Must have state park sticker. Located at the merger of the Sunrise River and the St Croix rivers. Great picnic area.

Best around.

Very well attended by many local towns and cities.

Where is it?

Never found this campground. No reviews

Great weekend!

Great weekend! Most sites are very roomy some are little tight for the larger campers. Lots of activities to do and for the kids to do. Themed weekends throughout the season. Great bar and grill on property. Only complaint we had was the weekend we were there the bathroom's were not kept up. Were never cleaned, toilet paper was never refilled in the stalls. Ended up buying my own and having to take it with us to the rest room. Other issue which is hard to control unless babysitting constantly is both the pool area and the pond area have allot of people using it that do not have the required wrist bands on. Should be monitored more closely to prevent issues.

General Andrew's

Decent four wheeling campsite for a weekend trip.  Located a few miles from the soo line trail.  A little bit smaller of a location and traffic.  Offers outhouses and water.  In town amenities close by.

Nemedji st forrest

Excellent campground if your into ATV use camping.  Offers hundreds of miles of 4 wheeling and snowmobiling.  Cand forget dirtbiles and UTV as well.l. capsites are closely placed.  Offers a water pu.p and outhouses.  A shallow boat launch with a dock.  Additionally a picnic area for day use.  All nicely secluded with nemedji Forrest and beyond.

Love love love

Great campground and when we went pretty empty. Amazing trails and great beach. Weather wasnt too good when we went but there was still so much we could do!

Nice park, close to cities

Really enjoyed staying here. Was our first camping adventure with kids. Bathrooms were nice along with an indoor area which was a nice diversion in a little rain.

Hiked from the campgrounds to Taylor’s falls area.

Nice getaway not too far from the Twin Cities

I’ve camped here on several occasions and have not been disappointed. The group sites are walk ins only. No drive ins/pull through. They are spaced out enough for privacy. The individual sites are decent & drive in. The space between sites are far enough apart. There are a couple of double sites that will accommodate more than 6 people but less than 13. We’ve rented canoes in the past and have enjoyed it primary because of the sandbars, but have not done it recently so I’m not sure if that has changed or not. The mosquitos were bad in late June! Even with bug spray, candles thermacell, etc…we were still under massive attacked. I’ve always enjoyed coming here year after year, not so much because of the park (although it’s nice overall), but because this place holds lots of memories for me.

Do Not Camp In June

We had a terrible experience last year trying to camp here, BUT it’s not the campgrounds fault!

Unfortunately we chose the peak of mosquitos season and camping next to slow moving water is a recipe for disaster. It was also a very hot weekend. We showed up and set up camp and within the first hour our dog was clearly stressed by all the bugs. He ended up hiding in the car and soon after his face swelled up and he got very sick. Within 3 hours of showing up we had to pack up and head home to get him safe and comfortable. Do not fret, our boy was okay and thankfully the family across from us (in an RV) has Benadryl for their dog they gave to us. We don’t travel or camp without proper bug spray and meds for our dog now so lessons were learned.

Long story short we would love to come back when the bugs aren’t as bad!

Beautiful!

Tallest waterfall in Wisconsin! We’ve camped here many times, a good place to try and snag a first come first serve site if you’re camping last minute. The fall colors are AMAZING to witness at this park!

Interesting Typography

Very cool exploring the rock cliffs along the river, including the glacially created “potholes”, otherworldly! Nice campground close to the water! We camped early in the season before the mosquitoes.

Nice facility

It was raining the night we stayed. Bathrooms are centrally located, but I was surprised how few stalls there were in the men's bathroom.. There were 2 in the facility that served at least 60 sites. They bathrooms were clean, and shower water was hot, but waiting to poop in the morning is never fun. Very dog friendly, and a bunch of young families due to all the activities offered for kids. WiFi was very spotty, probably due to all the kids and bad weather.

Nice place to stay!

Wild River was a great campground, and only about an hour drive from the Twin Cities. The sites were nicely shaded and roomy for our tent and screen tent.

There is ample hiking, however due to early spring rains, many of the trails near the St. Croix were flooded, which is pretty typical for the river in the spring. We would have liked a swimming beach for the kids, but they enjoyed exploring the trails, especially the trail with a lookout over the river.

The great thing about June is that the bugs weren't bad at all. We escaped early in the morning due to impending rain, but found a lovely brunch spot on the way back to the cities.

Backpacking/RV life oh my!

We have started at Pattinson State Park a total of three times.

Our first time was at a backpacking site and we did not arrive till after the office had closed. We found a map at the park office and set off on our trek. The park had a major flood Father’s Day 2018 and we were staying in September 2018 which meant many trails were washed out. The trails leading into the backpacking sites were not marked and there was construction everywhere making it very difficult to find out site. Once we found the site we discovered the backpack site was a very secluded site with nobody else in site. The site has ample space with a two picnic tables and a nice bench.

We returned this year in May to the backpack sites and found the trails were still as torn up as before and with just as little navigational markers on the trail to tell us where to go. At the backpack sites you can use whatever wood is down at the site for your fire.

We again returned in June this time to stay at the Main campground with our camper. Our site was located on the left side of the loop. The site is designed as a pull through site however if you do this your door will facing the road and the back of the camper will be to the fire pit and picnic table. Other than that the site was great with LOTS of space. We could have parked two campers on the site and still had room for a tent.

The hike to the falls is amazing as well. This park has the 4th highest waterfall east of the Rockies at 165 feet which is only 2 feet shorter than Niagara Falls. They have a nice selfie station where you can set your phone to take photos of you and whoever your with.

There is a lot of construction at the park due to the flooding that occurred in 2018 but it is well worth it.

Beautiful park

Great park, beautiful views, nice sites

Great fishing lake! This campground provides boat rental and a swimming beach. Sites are a little small but have a nice view of the lake. Playground for the kids was decent. The beach was ok.

Family farm fun

Adorable family campground on a farm that has nice large campsites. The campground revolves around children. A huge playground, pony rides, animal parades and mini golf are only a few things that happen at Red Barn. The 126 year old barn on the premises holds barn dances, and indoor movies. 5 min to the nearest beach and cute downtown Shell Lake.

Ranger Review of the Yurt at Stone Creek Farm and AfterShokz Trekz Air Head

Campground Review: Nestle yourself in a copse of trees with a yurt as you enjoy this camping opportunity.

Danielle and Dan, the hosts, greeted me right away spending time to talk and walk us around their place. A farm with many elements awaits. A well-tended garden and large yard lead to a mowed walkway. The first turn-off is to their bubble camp. You can stay in a clear bubble and watch all the stars- no dogs allowed in this one. Someone was even using it this weekend. Our yurt was further down. Slip through the opening in the trees and you find a hidden oasis. Wooden chairs, a lounger and picnic table surround the fire pit. A barbecue grill was off to the side. On a large wooden platform sits the tent style yurt. A composting toilet is around the corner. Water is available via their hose that is closer to where you park. There is a bit of a walk (it’s 1/4 mile) to the copse but once you witness the beauty you quickly forget the distance. They provide a cart for you to carry your gear. Note: the open cart could be an issue in rainy weather. The yurt floor is just a tent material on the wooden platform so don’t forget your sleeping pad. Inside there is plenty of room for you and your gear. Once we settled in, my dog hopped up on the lounger with me as we ate dinner to the sounds of the birds. Bug spray kept most of the mosquitoes from eating us for dinner but they certainly tried. Waking up was also a treat. A wolf was howling and a few different coyote packs yipped back and forth. Once they settled down the roosters sounded their call.

Talking with Dan and Danielle is certainly a highlight. Their warm friendly demeanor make you comfortable right away. They gave us a welcome bag- s’more fixings! We were pointed to the Interstate State Park and told the Wisconsin Side was nicer. We hiked the pothole trail which lead to echo canyon and then around a lake to a beach before ending back at our car. We had fun climbing on rock formations and viewing the river. Driving through St. Croix we found a laundromat to wash our clothes. Just down the street was a park along the river- perfect to lunch at or maybe stop over at the vegan restaurant in town. The small towns on each side of the river have their charm and are worth checking out.

The one drawback we found was that this is on a farm and work was being done. The tractor and mower were driving around until 10 pm. Once it stopped, quiet sounds of nature arise but the noise kept us distracted and prevented an early bedtime.

Overall we had a wonderful stay. You should really consider checking out this spectacular location.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I sometimes get some cool products to review. This trip I am so happy to be trying out AfterShokz Trekz Air Headphones. This is interesting technology. These Bluetooth headphones go around your ear and transmit the sound through your bones.

I’ve been looking for a solution to listening to music/podcasts while still being aware of the surroundings as I walk my dog. Dakota and I hike all over and I need to be aware on trails. She is a reactive dog so I need to see distractions an soon as I can to pull her in. With these headphones I am able to keep myself occupied while still hear what’s happening around us. Dakota gets longer walks and I stay connected to the world.

The fit is good and the headphones did not fall off. I found them bumping into my hat(the connecting piece goes behind your head instead of over it) but I eventually found a sweet spot for them to sit. Sound is great too. Podcasts come through clear and music is crisp.

I highly recommend the AfterShokz Trekz Air Headphones

Love this State Park

Wild River State Park is my go-to campground since it is within an hour of my home. I make it my first place to camp every season. Love the scenic trails and all the park has to offer. Hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing, exploring, informational programs, and the wooded campsites.

Welcome to my dream home and camp in its glory for a night

What a pivotal moment - to invite strangers into your home - and yet this is what you become part of at Yurt in the Pines. First Bob and Roxanne sit down with you to lessen the distance of unknowing. Their commitment to an ethical lifestyle permeates their conversation and continues as you tour their property. Reclaimed and/or locally sourced building material went into creating the elements that make this off grid home. From a solar powered dehydrator to the solar panels powering the house, a commitment to living with a small carbon footprint is evident. The mowed paths guide you around - past the impeccable garden and the building they’re preparing as another guest house. You’ll want to stop at the outhouse. A brilliant rope catch holds the door closed. A repurposed solar shower provides running water. To top it off, local students built it to help fuel their college dreams. The path meanders through the property. We saw deer and beaver tracks along with a variety of wildflowers. Watch your step as you explore this former Christmas tree farm.

Eventually the path leads to the yurt. It’s in a large grassy opening with plenty of room for additional tents. A picnic table is near the fire pit. Bob and Roxanne even started a fire so I would have warm coals as a base for my own fire. Plenty of wood and some kindling was nearby. Open the glass door (with another fascinating closure system) and enter the wood floored yurt. A table holds fresh water. They gave me a mat that folds into a couch to use. After a comfortable nights sleep, I woke to sun rays outlining the pine tree framed by the glass door. Bob and Roxanne thought of all the details to make this a perfect place.

If the yurt and beautiful setting don’t entice you to come back, the friendliest hosts around will beckon your return.

My Favorite Park

The fall colors are spectacular, the trails are amazing, and it does t matter what time of year you arrive.

I make 2 trips here a year.

Great little family camp

Great little family camp non-motorized lake great for kayaks or canoes couple decent spots for group camping, new owners only four years inand working hard to make it better

Clean,

I booked this campsite last minute for the weekend because my other campsite was booked. The park had great reviews and looked like a nice area of the state to visit. As you drive to the campground area, you pass signs that state Snake Research Area. I have a fear of snakes, but never thought this would impact my visit. I came across two very large snakes (apx. 4ft long and maybe longer) in the road, having to wait for them to slither across the road. Once I got to my campsite, I was walking with my dog along the perimeter of the campsite and came across multiple snakes of this same size right on the edge of my site! I have been camping many times in many different areas, but this was something that I have never experienced before. I think there should be some sort of disclosure on the state parks' website that snakes of this size are around the campgrounds.

Family friendly for a quick camping fix

Family friendly getaway for a quick camping fix.  Nice pool and a lake.  Room between campsites and some tree coverage.  All in all a nice place to camp.