The best TENT SITES camping near
Bixby , SOUTH DAKOTA

Most Recent Bixby Camping Reviews
Pretty and quiet...but

Nice spot, very quiet, minus the bullfrogs 💚. If it rains, the ground gets sandy soft, so if you’re in a big rig, just be mindful of when you plan to pull in or out of here. The locals seem to be kind of nosey, you’d figure they’d be used to campers staying a couple days to a week as this is a 10 day spot. The police come through multiple times a day and log by photograph who is there and how long. There is a box for payment of $10/night, my understanding it’s for the sites that have electric service by the docks on the lake Durkee. We might have been in a local guys fishing spot for the 5 days we stayed. (There were rotting fish carcasses all over-our dogs found them and then we respectfully returned them to the lake as their resting spot) He drives a cobalt blue pick up and exercises his dogs by either chasing him with the truck or having him chase his truck. 🙄 And I wonder if he called the police on us, the police came, said they had a call about 2 school buses…the police were super nice, actually one has been wanting to get a skoolie for his family. So nice, but the locals are bullies (anyone who calls on people quietly, cleanly, and peacefully camping IMO is a bully)

Perfectly Secluded

Working my way south from Bismark, North Dakota I was on the hunt for the Hugh Glass Monument.  I had recently watched the movie the Revenant and wanted to see the area.  It was raining and the roads were slippery and empty.  I only saw one other person.  After finding the monument, I headed on to the empty campground.  I had my choice of sites and chose one that was wind shielded by some evergreens.  Very peaceful!  You do have to be careful driving in though, lots of cows sharing the roads.

Nice Forest Service Campgroumd

Small campground most sites are private the vault toilets were very clean and the campground was quiet. Easy access and not far from Buffalo SD for gas and or other supplies. Very pretty scenery. We used it as a stop over on the way to the black hills and will do so for future trips

Quiet and beautiful

We stayed Wednesday and Thursday nights before the 4th of July. It's a beautiful, well kept no fee campground. A not difficult path leads you upward to a beautiful view of The Castles formation in the Slim Buttes. We will stay here again.

nice & quiet

city park with electric 20/30 amp, water, dump station, trash, bbq grills in park, picnic tables at some sites, sites are around 40’ back in sites from a paved road, pay at steel pipe on corner of road/playground, pretty nice for $10! also full bars Verizon!!

Clean

Be ready to dry camp

Lots of shoreline, good weekend spot

Well maintained electric hookup sites along the shore. Cabins also available. Playground and a couple beaches around the area. A popular boating reservoir.

Solitude with a view

Great little campground nestled in the pines of the Slim Buttes. Views of more buttes and the prairie to the west with certain spots. Area is gorgeous in one of the most remote areas of SD. Can drive to campging spots a fair distance in to be away from the highway, although the traffic is almost nonexistant.

Some trails to the north of Highway 20 and on the south end of Highway 79 that can take you above and along the cliffs of the buttes with some more spectacular views. You can do some back-country camping if you camp within a certain distance of the trails (grab a forest service map at the campground for reference of trails/roads and private property).

Camping spots in the campground are clean, mowed and have a small fire pit.

Quite spot, lots of room

Really liked this free spot a few miles east of the main hwy. Great if you are traveling to the Badlands from the north. Lots of spacious sites here with established fire pits and several toilets. Coyotes serenaded us throughout the night!