The best GROUP camping near
Mangum , OKLAHOMA

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Mangum Camping Reviews
Nice place

Good park lots of hiking, boating, wildlife, Nice spots,some have full hookups and some don’t,I’d go back

Locals Gem of Oklahoma

Absolutely wonderful camping and hiking!! Lots of camping spots - and most were well distanced for plenty of privacy. Due to COVID all spots require pre-registration online and only self contained vehicles are permitted (all bathrooms are closed). There is no service in the park, but about 2 bars next to the Visitor’s center (which is also closed), so be sure to reserve a spot before you get close to the park. Some sites are dry and some have electric hookups. No water available due to an ongoing E. Coli issue. The camp host was really nice and stopped by both nights we were there. There were lots of hikes and we are looking forward to coming back for an extended stay. For hiking, we loved 40 foot hole (nice waterfall) and Little Baldy for sunset. Wish we had been here a couple weeks earlier because I bet the trees would have been at peak fall foliage color. We saw long horns and bison several times, but unfortunately didn’t see any prairie dogs. We heard this park is mostly used by locals (~80 miles from Oklahoma City), and not many long distance travelers hear about it. Also heard there are great mountain biking trails.

Quiet respite!

Ducking off i-40 to the North, Foss State Park was a great place to stay the night. Larger town of Clinton, just SE of the park.
Concrete pads, water, 50 amp, picnic table and a great (grate) fireplace. Small trees shade the pads. Dark night sky, except for small city lights to the North. The communication from the Park station was pleasant and responsive to inquiry. A little windy, but typical for OK. Worth the short drive from i-40.

Spectacular place to visit

Doris campgrounds are only open for RV campers due to covid so I couldn’t stay. Mount Scott had some pretty awesome views and I hiked the trail across the road from it by the bathrooms. There is a gate and a path beside it made from vehicle wheels. You can hike pretty far. There are several spots where you cross a creek which was good for my dogs or I think they would have died by the way they were panting lol. It was 91 degrees when I hiked it. Take 2 water bottles for yourself if it’s hot out! The trail ends at a beautiful lake with the mountain in the distance. I walked down to the lake so the dogs could cool off and drink for a while. Def loved taking it all in. There’s cattle but they didn’t mind us one bit.

I did see camping in town right before the blue water towers, along the river/creek there are tent camping spots and a lot of people were fishing. It’s just over the bridge and you can miss it. It’s not on the app so thought I would mention it in my review and added some pics of that area!

Foss State Park

We tent camped at Foss State Park in August 2020. We stayed at the Cottonwood campground site #6. All the tent sites were very spacious. There was a picnic table and grill and a water faucet nearby. The sites were nice and grassy and mowed. The bathroom was nice and clean with individual showers, each with their own door. So they were nice and private. Some of the old reviews mention needing quarters for the showers but they are now free. The playground was new and the kids had fun playing on it. The RV spots were a little crowded on the backside of the campground but pretty spread out closer to the entrance. We drove through the Sandy Beach campground and it seemed nice and secluded but the picnic tables were a little run down. The playground was really old too. But I think the bathroom was newer. Also, there was no sandy beach in this area. 🧐

The swim beach was nice and sandy. Much better than a lot of Oklahoma lakes. But like most lakes in Oklahoma, the water was super muddy.

There are two cabins for rent here. They looked pretty new as well. They have a marina and I believe you can rent boats but we never checked it out.

Overall, I definitely recommend Foss. It was a nice family friendly park to visit.

Beautiful location

We read a few reviews about distance between campers but we though even if full I would not describe it as a parking lot campground. The sites have green space and trees between them but the lake is superb. We are here on a Monday so there are only 4 other campers. It is peaceful and quiet. The sunset awesome. I would recommend a stay here.

Mountains in Oklahoma??

This is an awesome place to visit for the day or weekend! It’s only about 3 hours from the Dallas area and is very scenic. Lots of wildlife and fun trails to hike! The campground fills up quick so get there early.

Need Help With Covid 19

Of course, Covid 19 has forced many places to make adjustments, and this is a trying time for all. That being said, this camp is inconsistent with its information online, on this app, and in person. Many amenities and even basic entry had conflicting information, and we were turned away after driving so far to get there. The maps they gave us were also unclear and poorly labeled. The park is beautiful and a must-see, but I’d feel better avoiding this site entirely.

Lovely State Park with Lots to Do

We only spent one night at the Cottonwood Campground here and would go back in a heartbeat.  Sure, the facilities were old and buggy and I didn't even want to shower there, but the park has enough to keep me interested in coming back!

Nice 'heart healthy' trail off of Cottonwood that was about a mile long.  The park is huge and really needed to be explored more. Some great birding!

Fun with family and friends

Full hookups, quiet campground