THE BEST CAMPING IN
Oklahoma
Camping Oklahoma

There’s a reason Oklahomans are more likely to camp than the average American: Home to the country’s most diverse terrain mile-for-mile, Oklahoma comprises more than just the Great Plains. Camping in Oklahoma’s 10 distinct ecoregions–claiming four mountain ranges, sprawling forests, balmy swamps, 28 state parks, and more dam-created lakes than any other state—gives you access to more varied recreation opportunities within a short drive than you’ll find almost anywhere else.

You can’t go camping in Oklahoma without visiting Lake Texoma, the 12th-largest lake in the US. Spanning the southern Texas-Oklahoma border (hence the name), the biggest of the Sooner State’s 200-plus lakes provides more than 90,000 surface acres of water primed for sailing, kayaking, jet skiing, and especially fishing: Lake Texoma claims more than 70 species of fish, including Striped Bass impressive enough to make it the Striper Capital of the World. Make sure to pick up a fishing license!

Out of the water, Lake Texoma campers can observe migratory birds and wild hogs in two wildlife preserves, lead horses through 25 miles of equestrian trails, hike 14 miles along lakeside bluffs, and retire to one of more than 700 campsites. Plenty of showers, toilets, potable water points, and RV hookups mean campers have the option to sleep rugged or glamp easy.

When you’ve had your fill of sand and surf, travel to the opposite end of the state for Alabaster Caverns State Park. When an inland sea evaporated millions of years ago, it left behind a real gem: gypsum deposits that developed into some of the world’s largest crystal caves open to tours and wild caving. The biggest highlights of Alabaster Caverns State Park are a three-quarter-mile, 50-foot-tall main cavern, natural bridges, five species of bats, RV camping right near the caves, and best of all, the opportunity to camp in a cavern with a waterfall. For $40, you can rent the Water Cavern, which includes raised sleeping platforms and the option to sleep outside if need be.

Give everyone in your party easy access to the recreation of their choice by camping in Oklahoma only an hour or two from state capitol. Oklahoma City is smack-dab in the center of Oklahoma, making it easy to get a dose of nature without straying too far from nightlife in the state’s biggest metro area. Hike to 2,500 feet and rock climb routes in the storied Wichita Mountains, then explore all 12,500 acres of Lake Murray State Park—the state’s oldest and biggest state park.

Use The Dyrt, and finding all the best sites for adventuring and camping in Oklahoma will be a breeze.

Recent Reviews in Oklahoma
Cowlington Point

Nice campground. Water/electric, no sewer hookups at camp sites. Restroom facilities are old but usually clean. Campground located on the Kerr Navigation Channel. Very clean and quiet campground!

Great experience

We ended up extending our stay 1 more night

By The Lake

Stayed here for three nights with the family. Very nice lots with full hookups and cable. Owners were super nice and accommodating. Used the pool every day along with the game room. Nice to have a spot that has it all, dog park, fishing lake, pool good WiFi and great lots!

A Bad Experience!

I reserved a water view RV site at Lake McMurtry and

their office gave my space away to another camper

We arrived late to the campgrounds (due to their faulty web site directions) and backed into the only space available a couple of sites down

I informed the store of their mistake and they sent over

a gal who told me they would “credit back my stay”

When I didn't see my credit almost two weeks later I called again to ask about it

They then informed me that all they would do now is credit my “next stay”

I won’t be staying at Lake McMurtry again so this is of NO value to me

Their staff is clearly unreliable and unprofessional and I do not recommend them to other campers

Centralized Cabins, Tent & RV Camping

When searching for a unique camping experience you might check out something a little bit outside of the box. Offering tent sites and RV sites Tiny Town might seem normal on paper but when you were arrive they have a lot of options which might be considered a little bit different.

I pulled into Tiny Town I noticed right away the unique experience which they offer. Though RVs were parked in the front and on the right I noticed a community of tiny homes just beyond the bounds. Many tiny homes were under construction however a few options were already up and running in a variety of floor plans ideal for any traveler visiting the area.

The property it’s self is small but does offer a few amenities including a restroom and laundry as well as a small play facility. The big draw to this area is the quick and easy access to beavers Bend State Park and other attractions around the Broken Bow area.

The offering of cabin rentals varies from humble three person dwellings all the way up to a 20 person“Deck-A-Saurus”. Cabins are all equipped with standard furniture including couches and beds, making it ideal for those who just want to pullin and immediately jump into comfort. The RV area it’s self accommodate 17 spaces in three various sizes. Each side includes full hook ups, and barbecue pits. The larger areas have private fire pits as well as picnic tables.

When I visited I noticed that the area was a little void of large trees. However the area is currently working to re-landscape and provide better shade accommodations along the perimeter’s which would be very beneficial to tent campers. While they do not market the smaller sites as tent only facilities I did notice there were several people staying in vans or tents in these sites along the outer border.

The facility itself is very clean and well-maintained. You can really tell there is attention to detail at this location and that as it continues to grow and be developed that this will be a continued point of interest.

Standard nightly rates run between $30 and $45 depending on the site for RV or tent camping. They do also offer both weekly and monthly rates but do impose strict guidelines for those who are staying long-term to keep the facility clean and not looking unkept.

The Broken Bow Area offers beautiful unique attractions. If you like fishing, hiking,canoeing or trying something a little new this area is perfect. This park offers easy access to not only the outdoor features but also the nice Intown features such as restaurants making it a perfect place to stop if you’re in the area.

The only downside I could see to this campsite is that it is not as remote as some.    While it does provide great amenities and access points to everything around with easy pull ins for RV traffic, it does lack that in the woods feel that many other campsites provide.   You will be a little close to your neighbors here.

The bar has been set high

Fourth of July weekend. Our first time in our camper. It was packed, but everyone was really nice. We got a great site kind of secluded and awesome fishing spot right in front. We went on the half mile hike. Bathrooms were kept clean. The pay showers and washer/dryer machines were awesome. Camp host was on top of everything, and there was frequent visits by the park ranger. It was a great weekend. Area 2 Site 36. Check it out.

Fairly decent

Although it has water and electric hook ups, it’s extremely primitive, especially bathrooms.

Good for stop off stay

This KOA is directly off I-40 exit 108. It is a decent quick over night if you are passing through. If possible I recommend the spots in back. The full hook up spots up front are literally a parking lot. The spots are so close you are almost touching the RVs beside you. All facilities are clean. Staff is friendly. The pool is nice and there is a small lake for fishing. There is a tourist trap in front call The Cherokee Trading Post. There is all a Cherokee Restaurant. Good food. And there is also a nice convenience store.

BEAUTIFUL!

One of the most beautiful campsites we’ve been too.

This place is incredible!

Buffalo, horses and awesome amounts of fish! We stayed here in a duplex cabin and could just fish right out our back door. They have hiking trails and 2 private lakes. The RV area looked new because all of the power boxes had 50/30 and 120 outlets and breakers which is super cool. All of the sites had sewer and water connections too.

Just what we needed for a quick stop in Pawhuska!

Our goal was to visit Ree Drummond’s businesses in Pawhuska and the Settle Inn RV Park was the perfect spot for an overnight. The campground manager (owner?) was very pleasant and worked with us over several months when we requested reservations almost 8 months in advance. The setting is beautiful, and the atmosphere is very laid back. The price for a full hook up site is also very, very reasonable. One caution, the sites are pretty narrow with some overhanging trees on the corners - we pulled two fifth wheels into two sites and both were within inches of the trees and the edges of each roof while pulling into the sites.

One of the best!!

The operators are so great they made every effort to accommodate us and make us feel welcome. They also make some of the best fried chicken onion rings and potato salad I have ever had. I highly recommend this place very pretty very safe very well maintained nice not so private camp sites. Some spaces around the outside are more private but we came in so late and kept the guy up I can not complain at all. But no public showers or bathrooms but its an rv park so that’s ok. They had everything else you could ask for. A beautiful Bon fire area too.

Nice,quiet place to relax

We stayed here for (4) night's last month. Was not busy at all during the week. They keep the grounds mowed and looking nice. The tails where nice but a little overgrown and the markings are faded. Like climbing around the rocks. The pool was nice and cool for a hot day but closed at 5:00. The showers are hot but are pay type. Fifty cents gets you two minutes. The town of Hinton is very close and had stores if you forget anything. Will come back when it is cooler.

Can’t beat $12 a night

This campground is located between the city pool and golf course. Self check in. Sites are long pull throughs with 50 amp electric and water. A dump station is located on the road outside the park. No bathrooms unless you walk across to the public ones for the city park. No amenities, but easy, convenient and inexpensive That’s the reason for 4 stars.

Quiet and convenient

This campground is on the base,  but so quiet. Within a few miles of the campground is amazing fishing and hiking. Fort Sill is a nice base with everything you may need. If you drive to Witchita Mountain Wildlife Refuge you may see elk, bison, Longhorns and deer. The hiking trails are great and worth the visit.

Rv parking lot

Some of the sites have hookups on wrong side. No amenities at all. Just a place to plug in for the night.

Fisherman’s Paradise

A very nice clean well kept state run camping resort. Many shaded spots. And great fishing! Some of the best hybrid Striper in the country. Price is great as well. Make sure to reserve your spot online if it is near a holiday. We will definitely be back.

Robbers Cave State Park

This is my third time to return to Robbers Cave and I believe my last. We stayed in a cabin 2 nights and The lodge one night. I have never slept on such a broken mattress. I could barely sleep it was so bad. The box spring was broken and leaning to the side. The mattress had a huge hole from wear that slopes to the right and down. I felt like I was going to fall off. Terrible. The carpet had a really nasty sticky looking spot. I felt like I couldn’t walk around with out shoes. The air unit was super loud with a humming noise. It was struggling. I think it has gone down hill. I added a photo no sure if you can see how bad it is..

Has it all

We really love coming to Elephant Rock. It has great options- some spots are secluded in the trees and some are open in the middle areas if you want to be around people. It has lake access, great playgrounds for kids, close to town with everything you need.

This was a very nice place although a little difficult to find. It was $15 for our 32 foot motorhome. We put our money in an envelope and left it at a picnic table and then we were able to choose our spot. Even though there were a few others around it was a quiet place looking out on a very pretty lake. We ended up having to leave a little earlier in the morning than planned because of a thunderstorm but we did get to see all the geese come in off the lake to get out of the water before the storm started. I would highly recommend it for one night stay or a nice weekend getaway.

Girl Scout Troop #110 Camping

I took my Girl Scouts camping for 3.5 days, back in 2010. We had a blast! From swimming at their pool to getting snowcones, to hiking. Just watch out for the poison ivy! And I’m highly allergic to the stuff! The ranger kept a close eye on us all weekend even when they had a riot at the prison, but don’t worry they don’t do that very often. He kept patrol until the riot was over with. Plus there is a gate to lock people out at night. I believe at 11pm it closes and locks. Unless there is an emergency, of some sort. He will let you out, just have to knock on his door right there by the gate. Not too expensive to stay at back then. I don’t know the current prices now though. They also have a lot of RV hook ups.

Big ole brown lake

This is a large paved parking lot overlooking a large lake. It is somewhat of a popular spot (three other people the night i stayed) and some activity throughout the night. There are two pit toilets you can use at your own risk.

Nice stay

Great pull through sites, all WiFi cellphone service, etc. Would have liked covered tables but most folks are there for the casino action. Free shuttle to and from every 15 minutes. Very nice facility.

Beautiful place

Nice campground with lots of things to see.

Beautiful Wichita Mountains

The area is beautifully scenic and you will very likely see plenty of wildlife.  We saw bison, elk and coyotes.  We also enjoyed visiting the nearby town of Medicine Park.

BED BUGS AND HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

We arrived at 3 O'clock(an hour before check in) at Carsons cabin and they told us they were working on the showers. We waited until 5:30 to finally get the keys just to find that the showers were ice cold and NO ONE had even showered yet around 8pm! Then Saturday for our float the clerks were lost and kept trying to over charge everyone that paid in our group, even when I already paid my float deposit of$100 and was to go towards my own 4(2 adults 2 kids), she kept saying I owed. Then Saturday night we kept feeling things crawl on us, just to wake up to bites all over my 8 year olds body and a squished bed bug on my pillow that was full of blood and had just fed before getting squished! The supervisor apologized over and over but the owner still has yet to call me and fix this! I had to take my son to Urgent care because he had a severe allergic reaction to the bites and now I'm out even more money due to their bed bug problem! On top of that, we had to throw everything away so that we didnt bring any of them home! PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE AND WASTE YOUR MONEY! Vacations are suppose to be relaxing and this was not even close!

Quiet evening with no crowd

We enjoyed our stay. Beautiful views. 12$ a night for primitive.

Just a stop off at best

This site is located on Altus Air Force Base. It only has 12 sites. You must be a Department of Defense ID card holder to stay on base. The camp area has little to offer. It is only $17 a night and a good stop off if you are in the area. You do have the security of being on a military base.

Not bad but could use a little updating

Great access to the lake. Friendly camp host. Great price for water/electric at $22 a night. Some sites could use more gravel. It was muddy. Could use a little updating but overall a good stay for the price and lots of room to spread out. Just pick your spot. Only a very small handful of full hook ups. Hiking trails were overrun and inaccessible

Primitive camping

Stayed at a primitive site up the highway a bit thinking the distance from the main amenities would mean less people and less noise. Boy was I wrong. The spots we looked at were all trashed and filthy. Broken glass, McDonalds trash, and lots of old garbage that hadn't been cleaned. The dumpster for the sites was overfilled onto the ground. The day use in that area was ridiculous, alot of loud teenagers and partying. I get it, I was a kid once too but I stayed out in the sticks specifically to keep away from crowds and it was absolutely not worth it. The lakes are nice and the things you can do at this park are awesome but between, the trash, the people, and the highway bisecting the park, I can't really see myself staying here again. 2 stars