The best camping in
Oklahoma

Camping Oklahoma

There’s a reason Oklahomans are more likely to camp than the average American: Home to the country’s most diverse terrain mile-for-mile, Oklahoma comprises more than just the Great Plains. Camping in Oklahoma’s 10 distinct ecoregions–claiming four mountain ranges, sprawling forests, balmy swamps, 28 state parks, and more dam-created lakes than any other state—gives you access to more varied recreation opportunities within a short drive than you’ll find almost anywhere else.

You can’t go camping in Oklahoma without visiting Lake Texoma, the 12th-largest lake in the US. Spanning the southern Texas-Oklahoma border (hence the name), the biggest of the Sooner State’s 200-plus lakes provides more than 90,000 surface acres of water primed for sailing, kayaking, jet skiing, and especially fishing: Lake Texoma claims more than 70 species of fish, including Striped Bass impressive enough to make it the Striper Capital of the World. Make sure to pick up a fishing license!

Out of the water, Lake Texoma campers can observe migratory birds and wild hogs in two wildlife preserves, lead horses through 25 miles of equestrian trails, hike 14 miles along lakeside bluffs, and retire to one of more than 700 campsites. Plenty of showers, toilets, potable water points, and RV hookups mean campers have the option to sleep rugged or glamp easy.

When you’ve had your fill of sand and surf, travel to the opposite end of the state for Alabaster Caverns State Park. When an inland sea evaporated millions of years ago, it left behind a real gem: gypsum deposits that developed into some of the world’s largest crystal caves open to tours and wild caving. The biggest highlights of Alabaster Caverns State Park are a three-quarter-mile, 50-foot-tall main cavern, natural bridges, five species of bats, RV camping right near the caves, and best of all, the opportunity to camp in a cavern with a waterfall. For $40, you can rent the Water Cavern, which includes raised sleeping platforms and the option to sleep outside if need be.

Give everyone in your party easy access to the recreation of their choice by camping in Oklahoma only an hour or two from state capitol. Oklahoma City is smack-dab in the center of Oklahoma, making it easy to get a dose of nature without straying too far from nightlife in the state’s biggest metro area. Hike to 2,500 feet and rock climb routes in the storied Wichita Mountains, then explore all 12,500 acres of Lake Murray State Park—the state’s oldest and biggest state park.

Use The Dyrt, and finding all the best sites for adventuring and camping in Oklahoma will be a breeze.

Recent Reviews in Oklahoma
RV Camping in the Woods

This spot was awesome. The RV spots were not traditionally laid out in rows. Sporadic spots in between trees made it feel like a true camping experience. The owners were amazing and had the pleasure of speaking with them each day we were there, made it feel like we were family. Only reason I give it 4 stars, is for the lack of sewer accommodations, the dump station is a slight inconvenience if you’re staying in lot A.

Lakeside quiet spots

Loved this campground. The spots are a little tight, but they are in the trees, waterfront, and private. We went when it wasn’t crowded and had the whole area to ourselves. Rented a boat from the owners for the day and it was amazing. The owners are beyond friendly! Highly recommend

Wonderful, quiet, peaceful

The park was very clean and maintained. Extremely spacious spaces. All facilities were very clean. Park staff were always welcoming, helpful, and polite.

Amazing amenities minutes from the lake

This RV park is one of our favorites. The amenities are amazing, concrete pads, full hook ups, a fishing pond, great pool, volleyball, basketball, and dog park made our 10 day stay incredible. I didn’t use them, but my husband said the bathrooms/showers were the cleanest he’s ever seen. Aside from how great the actual park is, the staff is amazing, best customer service ever and they do all they can to make you feel welcome.

The park is minutes from the marina, a fishing pier, and great hiking. We just left and are already booking another trip this summer.

Very nice pretty RV Park

This park is just inside the OK border right on the red river. Very pretty and quite.

Small state park

We just came here for a couple hours on our way through to Beavers Bend. The park is really small and there isn’t a lot to do but the facilities are pretty decent. The bathroom was one of the cleanest I’ve seen. Kudos to the camp host/ranger. There is a pretty big playground and a big picnic pavilion too.

Cabin rental

We rented a resort cabin for a night in May of 2020. We opted for one of their 16 “resort” cabins. These cabins have 2 bedrooms, a full bathroom and kitchen and a nice porch overlooking the lake. The cabin was pretty nice compared to most state park cabins but it definitely wasn’t resort quality. The TV was super old, there was a hole in the carpet, and water leaked in from the front door all over the living room floor. (However, it was raining super hard that day). They also have 10 primitive cabins. 7 of which have a full bathroom.

Before the rain started, we were able to have a picnic at the picnic pavilion near the swim beach. It had good quality tables and a nice grill and was next to a playground.

We didn’t tent camp or stay in an RV but we drove through some of the campgrounds to check it out. One of the RV areas looked pretty nice with paved pads but the other was a little more rugged with unpaved pads. From what we could tell, the tent area looked decent. Sites were grassy and mowed. But they just had the pit toilets instead of a bathroom with flush toilets and showers.

We weren’t able to hike any trails due to the rain so I can’t comment on those.

Overall, it seems like a pretty good state park. Especially if you like the lake activities.

First Time RVer

Loved it. We went during the weekday at the Walnut Grove section and there were only 4 other RVs there. The hiking trails were awesome and well maintained with multiple photo opportunities of beautiful scenery. Excellent service from the management who were friendly and took care of our one problem with low water pressure within minutes.  The grounds manicured and area was clean. Clear skies, birds chirping in the morning, and the sound of crickets at night as we sat around the campfire made our first use of an RV awesome

Trails and fishing

Got to lake # 1 did some fishing 🎣 As I am not that good at it I didn’t even catch a bite. That’s was like my second time fishing.

We walked and seen some trails ended up spending most of the trip on land. As we were exploring the area my wife got bit or came across some ivy.

Campground with Trail of Tears History

We were looking for a campground on our trip out west, and we found this one. It drew our attention because of the long wall with a beautiful mural, because there was a billboard showing a bouncing balloon, and that it is a KOA. That was a few years ago, and I am finally getting around to reviewing it. When we first got to the campground, we went over to the Cherokee Trading Post, and we decided to get buffalo burgers(our first). Then we explored what the campground and adjacent area had to offer. We were fascinated by the long mural, the teepee, and the bison in the pen. While we were selecting our campsite, my older son asked if he could jump on the bouncing balloon out front, and the person at the desk said yes. The next thing I know, I heard a loud,"boom!” I guess the balloon had gotten old and deteriorated, and it was time for it to go. According to their website, the campground apparently has replaced it. Back at the campground, the site was grassy and shady. There are squirrels that are not so afraid of people. My older son even fed one. That may or may not be a problem for future campers. Overall, it’s not so bad for an overnight stay, but if I were staying longer, I would be more concerned about the traffic noise from the highway.