The best camping in
Oklahoma

Camping Oklahoma

There’s a reason Oklahomans are more likely to camp than the average American: Home to the country’s most diverse terrain mile-for-mile, Oklahoma comprises more than just the Great Plains. Camping in Oklahoma’s 10 distinct ecoregions–claiming four mountain ranges, sprawling forests, balmy swamps, 28 state parks, and more dam-created lakes than any other state—gives you access to more varied recreation opportunities within a short drive than you’ll find almost anywhere else.

You can’t go camping in Oklahoma without visiting Lake Texoma, the 12th-largest lake in the US. Spanning the southern Texas-Oklahoma border (hence the name), the biggest of the Sooner State’s 200-plus lakes provides more than 90,000 surface acres of water primed for sailing, kayaking, jet skiing, and especially fishing: Lake Texoma claims more than 70 species of fish, including Striped Bass impressive enough to make it the Striper Capital of the World. Make sure to pick up a fishing license!

Out of the water, Lake Texoma campers can observe migratory birds and wild hogs in two wildlife preserves, lead horses through 25 miles of equestrian trails, hike 14 miles along lakeside bluffs, and retire to one of more than 700 campsites. Plenty of showers, toilets, potable water points, and RV hookups mean campers have the option to sleep rugged or glamp easy.

When you’ve had your fill of sand and surf, travel to the opposite end of the state for Alabaster Caverns State Park. When an inland sea evaporated millions of years ago, it left behind a real gem: gypsum deposits that developed into some of the world’s largest crystal caves open to tours and wild caving. The biggest highlights of Alabaster Caverns State Park are a three-quarter-mile, 50-foot-tall main cavern, natural bridges, five species of bats, RV camping right near the caves, and best of all, the opportunity to camp in a cavern with a waterfall. For $40, you can rent the Water Cavern, which includes raised sleeping platforms and the option to sleep outside if need be.

Give everyone in your party easy access to the recreation of their choice by camping in Oklahoma only an hour or two from state capitol. Oklahoma City is smack-dab in the center of Oklahoma, making it easy to get a dose of nature without straying too far from nightlife in the state’s biggest metro area. Hike to 2,500 feet and rock climb routes in the storied Wichita Mountains, then explore all 12,500 acres of Lake Murray State Park—the state’s oldest and biggest state park.

Use The Dyrt, and finding all the best sites for adventuring and camping in Oklahoma will be a breeze.

Recent Reviews in Oklahoma
Nice park

We camped right next to the river. Was very peaceful and had a great view. There's also plenty to do there if you go during crystal digging season.

Quiet, lake front camping

The park was quiet and very pretty. It would be nice if it connected to other areas of the park through hike/bike trails. We didn't like having to drive to get to other areas in the park.

The site (BR011) was hard to back into. The approach is narrow and there's a large boulder right in the turn path of the tow vehicle. It also leans slightly downhill so leveling pads were critical. The site itself sits right next to the lake on a small elevation but the view is mostly obstructed by trees. There's a short path leading down to the lake with a bit of bank area that was good for fishing.

Fine for short stay

Nothing spectacular but fine for a short stay.

Good place for day trip

Good place for day trip. Try to visit on weekday if possible, the weekend draws crowds which take away from the scenery and positive experience.

Beautiful region

Beautiful region. Our family enjoyed camping and hiking.  Pleasant weather and lots of sunshine during our stay. Lots of fun had by our group.

Nothing special

In the middle of no where, so bring all you need. Boring drive in to the park. Bathrooms were not very clean

Absolutely zero amenities here.

Absolutely nothing here as far as amenities. It's only good if you want to catch some sleep or grab a bite at their little cafe area.

Off the beaten path but not too far! Perfect for adventures!

This park is nestled in the red rock hills of close north central Oklahoma with its curved and tree-filled landscape hiding awaiting adventures and treasures to be discovered! The landscape’s curves, twists and turns produce moments of discovery including natural springs abundant with icy cold, clear water flowing from rocky walls and gurgling streams as one winds through pathways of wild wooded areas.

Options for all levels of outdoor-lovers include the lodge, with hotel-type accommodations, restaurant and outdoor seating area to the more adventurous Tipis for those who want to experience a more “close encounter” with nature!

Certainly something for everyone including the good sized lake with recreation for the whole family!

Quiet on Sardis Lake

ABSOLUTELY NO CELL SERVICE OR WIFI, had both ATT and Verizon as well as a we boost,  soHAD Bathrooms flush ? did not use, dumpster, some fire pits, beach in another part of park, picnic tables, level sites, grills, no services at this park, it is part of the Potato Hills Park on same lake, but not connected, the other has shower n dump.

Very clean and nice to be on the water, some trees, there was a host, self check in part of ACE Army Corps. Engineers.   Able to use  National Park pass for 50% discount. Golden age or Access veterans, etc.

Convenient, friendly, clean

12 sites Elec n water at ea site, small turn around that could be used in overflow no hook ups, parking spots near pavillions could also be used, some have dump, others have raised holding tanks, plenty of garbage cans, 2 dumpsters, lower sites watch during rain for rising creek.  There is a dump in upper part of park, states permit required, not sure where to get, however there is a phone number on sign.  Local stated its free, unless they think u r abusing it then payment is needed, did not state what the fee was.  Upper park is play ground, splash pool, bathrooms and a shower stall, no doors on inside of stalls did not use those but they were clean.   Family Dollar which is part grocery store fair prices, 3 gas stations, subway, few restaurants, walking to shopping a friendly town, the wash board a clean friendly laundromat owner gave us lots of info on town and nearby towns. Home of Chickasaw  Indian w a welcome center lots of various info for all of state and activities also has genealogy museum,  war memorial, home of Blake  Shelton w club/cafe/bar that has live music for fee (the dog house) 4 nights a week.  Great stop over before crossing into TX.  NO fire pits, 2 picnic pavilions, some sites have concrete picnic tables, but plenty of tables in pavilions.

Nice Area limited Bathrooms

First weekend of October stayed an the Caney Creek campgound just outside of Kingston, OK.  the campground was very clean and nice however, they only had 1 of the 4 bathroom/showers unlocked. then on Sunday morning they lock the 4th Bathroom/shower (very disappointed).  when the Bathroom was open it was extremely clean and each had it's own private toilet, sink, and shower.  at the campsite, most campsites had a covered picnic table and a large fire pit nearby.  the rv pads were gravel at best but most were level.  overall it was a decent place and because of my style of camping i will be back.

Noisy but great laundry!

We stayed one night over the Fourth of July. We walked in and they were very accommodating even though they were very busy. There is a large store with wood, ice, etc. The attached restrooms are clean and well maintained. The separate laundry room was great!! I think they had 6 or more washers which is great when you have several loads. And the building had ac which encouraged me to stay with my laundry!! Nice playground and very nice pool.

Cons: Very noisy from highway traffic for tent campers.
Bring bug spray because it was intense!!

Overall, the staff was super nice and it was a convenient stop. Would stay again if I was driving through.

Kayak adventures

We loved the water here! The river is perfect for kayaking and has fantastic views and cool water. The lake is beautiful! We visited on Labor Day weekend and the entire park was crowded. We stayed at the Bluejay campground. The reason we gave this campground 3 out of 5 stars was due to the lack of cleanliness of the campsite and restroom facility. It also has very little privacy due to campsites being close in proximity. It is a dog friendly campground and we love that but other campers did not obey by the leash rule. We took our own kayaks to take down the Lower Mountain Fork River but there is a rental place with lots of kayaks available. We will visit again but choose another campground for our next visit.

Close sites

You can reserve online, but can’t change site at the office. We camped in February and there weren’t any other tent campers since it was off season. Great visitor center. Pretty lake drive.

Be prepared

We stayed in the Deep Ford loop, site 1. The site is really nice and sits right on the river. The downsides of the site are, sites 1, 2 and 3 are maybe 50 yards from HWY 2 and you get a good amount of traffic up until 9:00, and overnight you’ll still get a few cars and trucks driving by. The second thing was a little bit of bummer is that there’s not a lot of trees because power lines run right now the sites. These sites are also really rocky and sandy so it make for a bit of a chore to find a descent tent pad. The last thing that wasn’t great was the only water for the three sites was 2 sites over and if I hadn’t brought my Katadyn 3 liter filter it would’ve been awkward having to cut through 2 other people’s sites to get water. The site itself is very pretty and has a great fire pit (even though we bring our Solo Stove Bon Fire with us). The nice part of not having a lot of trees are you can see the stars so easily over the site.

The park itself is awesome and the caves are an easy hike for kids, and dogs. The loop is less than a mile but there’s tons of rocks and little caves for the kids to climb on and in. There’s tons of playgrounds that the kids can play on and a pretty nice day use area.

Nice area to tent camp

Nice area to tent camp

Okay place to camp

Okay place to camp.

Nice place to stay in RV when on the road traveling

Nice place to stay in RV when on the road traveling. Near Choctaw Casino, plenty of entertainment for travelers.

I grew up in the area, my family really loves it here.

I grew up in the area, my family really loves it here. Nice and peaceful. We prefer the primitive area.

Great for kids I guess

It is a pretty park and well maintained but it's not my favorite.  I stayed here when I was looking at multiple properties around the area over a beautiful week.  Personally I found the tent sites much too close together, undefined, and with no privacy at all.  I can see how families with children would enjoy this park.  There are things to do and see, but not a weekends worth.  Other campers kids seemed to love running around and making new friends with neighboring tents.  So much so that they would come to my tent asking where my kids are (I don't have any).  Thankfully I brought my own camp table because the neighbor to the right insisted that the stationary table at my site was his.  I'm not trying to be a grump.  This may be the most fun place for some people.  If you are looking for a quiet place to set camp and look at the stars in peace, this is not the place.

King Snake Tent camping

King Snake on Arcadia Lake is my go-to site for a quick getaway.  If I have a free weekend and the weather is nice I pack my tent and head out.  The park is large and spread out.  A LOT of Rv's and boats in the main parts of the park but I prefer King Snake for the tent camping.  No rv's, limited traffic, and a short walk to a lightly-used bathroom.  The sites are large enough for 2 large tents.  Tables, hooks, and fire pits in each.  Close enough to the city to get anything you may have forgotten to pack. Also, the eastend of the lake is quiet and calm, away from the boats.

Lakeside Camping in Oklahoma

This is a Corp of Engineers campground, which I tend to prefer. If you’re traveling from the DFW area this could be a weekend trip. The drive is about 3.5 hours. I stayed for 2 nights in site E04 which had electric and water hookups, although the water was shared with another site. So the water hook up is a distance from the site. I had to use 2 hoses to reach my RV and only after I turned it around so that the water hook up side was closer to the spigot. Distance between sites is very good, but not much foliage between.

The site was asphalt, which was nice, but very narrow. My RV is only 8 ft wide and it took up the entire width. Also, there were trees which prevented me from putting out the awning. There was a cement picnic table, lantern hook and fish cleaning/grill table. The best part of this site was that it backed up to a sandy beach. I could walk the shoreline of Lake Eufaula for quite a distance. The lake is quiet and clear. There were several fishermen out, but I don’t know what they were catching.

I didn’t realize how large this campground was until the day I left. I saw 2 dump sites. The one in the E campground was older and had an odd bump up which made gravity emptying a challenge. The sites are clean and as I was leaving the campground hosts were already at my site looking for anything out of sorts.

The restrooms and showers, although clean felt a bit creepy to me. I took photos, but didn’t use. The playground was quaint and offered several play spaces for different ages. Even the big kids!

One more thing to note, on a clear night the view of the sky here is very good! Saw lots of stars and the Milky Way! I think I’d go back, but try a different site.

Great little park!

We stayed over a weekend. Grounds are well maintained, bathrooms are clean and staff is super friendly. You can choose a site with all the amenities (flat concrete slab, water/elec/sewer) or a spot back in the trees. Plenty of hiking and biking available.

Great weekend getaway

Nice clean park with the friendliest staff. Boating, kayaking, swimming, camping, hiking. We always enjoy our visits to this park. Facilities and grounds are well kept.

No sign indicating the campground

According to the internet, there was more than one campground here but I did not find that to be the case. There was only one area that looked like it might be a campground but there was no sign anywhere with the name of the alleged campground.

I camped where another man had set up his tent. There were relatively clean vault toilets and some picnic tables. You could hear the road from this campground.

Free campground

Great family owners, best showers ever for a camplground!

Vvery nice campground, with friendly helpful staff. Fabulous showers.

Beautiful Lake View Campsites

Have stayed here multiple times in the past and it’s exactly as stated - a lake campsite. The view is beautiful over one of the prettiest lakes in the region. Like a previous reviewer said it is warm in the spring and summer months but not sure you can ding the campsite and give it less stars because it was warm. Great place to camp!

Nice

Clean Showers, nice trees, Close to Guthrie.

Nice Park