Lawton, OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Lawton Camping Reviews
Great weekend getaway

Nice clean park with the friendliest staff. Boating, kayaking, swimming, camping, hiking. We always enjoy our visits to this park. Facilities and grounds are well kept.

Good location

Fort Sill has a lot of history to view.  Great museums.  Full hookups.  Close to MT Scott and wildlife park.  You can reserve a spot online but they will not save your spot for you. I visit yearly and have never gotten the spot I reserved.

Good place to get away

A private company owns (I think) and operates the campground. It’s nice and clean with good amenities. It does fill up on weekends quickly. The campground itself isn’t what I go to WMWR for but I’m not at all disappointed by the campground. Lots of trees and wildlife. Bison can and do walk through the campground which unique and pretty amazing.

There’s lots to do in the Refuge like shorter and somewhat long hikes as well as fishing and non-motorized boating. Watching wildlife like the bison and prairie dogs are very entertaining and remarkable. The towns of Meers and Medicine Park have their unique offerings as well. WMWR is a fabulous place to get away for flatlanders….or anyone really.

Unique Anti-Suburban-Type Camping!

What a unique place! Stand-alone sites, each with a distinct character. It's like yours is the only occupied site and you have the run of the whole parcel.

Great walk-to bathroom. Hosts are very relaxed and helpful.

The property is interesting and beautiful. If you get bored there's the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge only a 15 minute drive away.

Tent accessible.... but is it??

This location is a quaint privately owned location easy to access and close to the community of Rush Springs.

Although they do have shady areas ideal for tents and we did see some tent campers there is no real facilities for a tent camper to use. I would not be able to personally stay here in a tent without being friendly with someone in an RV because there is also no privacy for outdoor restroom.

Sites are available on a nightly, weekly or monthly stay at a reasonable rate. There is a common trash area and RV connections are present.

Sites are a bit close together for my personal liking.

Nice little state park

Great little state park right on the shores of Tom Steed Reservoir. Sites are well spaced. Campground is well maintained. Good fishing. Lots of walking area around the lake. Friendly staff. Most all sites have a view of the water. You’ll need to make reservations to ensure you get a site. This is not a huge campground. It’s very quiet and relaxing. Not a lot of shade. Good view of the Witchita Mountain range in the background. The Witchita Wildlife Preserve is nearby and worth taking the family to see free roaming bison.

Wildlife refuge

Buffalo, deer, turkey, and more can be glimpsed here. Nearly Primitive camping in a gorgeous natural setting.

The bar has been set high

Fourth of July weekend. Our first time in our camper. It was packed, but everyone was really nice. We got a great site kind of secluded and awesome fishing spot right in front. We went on the half mile hike. Bathrooms were kept clean. The pay showers and washer/dryer machines were awesome. Camp host was on top of everything, and there was frequent visits by the park ranger. It was a great weekend. Area 2 Site 36. Check it out.

Quiet and convenient

This campground is on the base,  but so quiet. Within a few miles of the campground is amazing fishing and hiking. Fort Sill is a nice base with everything you may need. If you drive to Witchita Mountain Wildlife Refuge you may see elk, bison, Longhorns and deer. The hiking trails are great and worth the visit.

This was a very nice place although a little difficult to find. It was $15 for our 32 foot motorhome. We put our money in an envelope and left it at a picnic table and then we were able to choose our spot. Even though there were a few others around it was a quiet place looking out on a very pretty lake. We ended up having to leave a little earlier in the morning than planned because of a thunderstorm but we did get to see all the geese come in off the lake to get out of the water before the storm started. I would highly recommend it for one night stay or a nice weekend getaway.

Beautiful Wichita Mountains

The area is beautifully scenic and you will very likely see plenty of wildlife.  We saw bison, elk and coyotes.  We also enjoyed visiting the nearby town of Medicine Park.

Nice RV Park

Quiet and peaceful RV Park. The ladies at the office were very helpful and friendly. They are pet friendly with a nice dog walk area. The restrooms are spacious, clean, and have large residential style showers. We couldn’t have asked for more for our weekend visit during my daughter’s softball tournament.

Not bad but could use a little updating

Great access to the lake. Friendly camp host. Great price for water/electric at $22 a night. Some sites could use more gravel. It was muddy. Could use a little updating but overall a good stay for the price and lots of room to spread out. Just pick your spot. Only a very small handful of full hook ups. Hiking trails were overrun and inaccessible

Not bad but could use a little updating

Extremely popular for more than one reason

Weekends at WMWR (Wichita Mountains Wildife Refuge)are very popular beginning early in the camping season making it difficult to find open spots by Friday evening. But that doesn’t keep people from trying late into the night.

The facilities are well maintained and allow anyone to choose very primitive to RV hookup and car/tent camping also.   Always lots of friendly folks to visit and get hiking insights from. Many activities are available in WMWR. Hiking trails can be accessed directly from Doris Campground, or there are numerous other trails in other areas a short drive away. Carry in all your water with bovine (longhorn, buffalo) covering virtually all areas of the refuge. I have visited all months of the year.

Our go to place

We absolutely love camp Doris, because of the amazing wildlife that you see since you’re on a  nature preserve, The campsites and facilities are very well-maintained and clean, with plenty of shade trees, and amazing hiking very close by! From easy to very difficult trails you can see several different ecosystems along the trails.

Solid

Staff super chill, lots of sites. Beautiful views of the lake and mountains - if you get a good spot. No reservations, first come first serve. Ice and firewood available to purchase on site. Great place in the midst of the mountains.

True hidden gem

We have tent camped and also used our 16 pull behind camper at an electric site. Campsites are on a first come first serve basis here. We love how quiet and clean the campgrounds always is, and the wildlife running through the campgrounds is incredible! Perfect place for families!

Clean and safe

This place is very well maintained and so close to all the trails in Wichita Mountains. Just started doing more outdoor activities and this was the first campground in the area I went to. Highly recommend visiting this place and checking out the Bison Trail

Beautiful, quiet, shade trees perfect location for visiting Fort Sill area

If you don't have a military ID you can stop at the visitor center and get a pass for your stay

Quiet Lake Views

Though still open for the season this campground looks a little forgotten with few campers, overgrown sites and subpar restrooms. Buy the views from these sites at dusk are u paralleled by other sites on the lake.

Sites here are pretty standard with a picnic table, grill and prep station. The road is narrow and though you could navigate an RV here I would not recommend a longer unit.

I found this site to be less improved than Kiowa and less used, however their day use area was nicer with large picnic shelters which can be reserved and include electricity.

The site I selected was waterfront but high enough above the waterline that I would not fear lake waters rising and flooding my space. I was able to easily pull into my site in my small car. The views from this area are uncorrupted by structures and trees and you can clearly see much of the lake, making for beautiful sunsets.

The restrooms at this location were mere pit toilets and it looked as though these hadn’t been maintained in a while. One door was ajar on the men’s restroom midcamp and there were no sinks only non potable water on a spigot outside the restroom.

Nicest Campground At Lake

There are two sections of this campground. My first stay I stayed in the second camping loop which was closest to the boat ramp and had a lot of in and out traffic. This site, which was closer to the camp host and entrance seemed to be a more popular site for RVs.

As I pulled into this site I noticed that the restroom was close to the entry loop. The site had improved flush sensor toilets and running water. Each of the sites was equipped with the standard grill and picnic table but at this location they also had water spigots and electrical hook ups. The sites at this location had shade covers over the picnic tables and were split between back in spaces and pull through sites.

I noticed on this loop many people have pulled their boats up to the their lakeside sites and had easy access to the water.

Campsites were pretty large and spread out so even though there were more campers at this location it seemed pretty quiet. It looked as though many had set up for longer term camping, which is allowed up to 14 days at this location.

I chose a location close to the water but a little further away than some because the waterline was up and additional rains could push up onto sites even further. I noticed that the grass was well maintained at this site but it looked as though no one had stayed at this particular site in a while as there were scattered spiderwebs everywhere and some downed debris which hadn't been cleared.

Overall the location was much better than the second campground which seemed louder on my last visit. I checked out the campground's second camp on this trip and it seemed like no one was there at all so I believe my original assessment was based on seasonal traffic.

Day Use Only

This site is a great place for those looking to have a launch for Day Use. Much like the other launch site Beaver Creek, it offers a large launch area and marina for those boating on Waurika Lake with limited amenities for usage.

This site utilizes an honor system for payment and while I was there for over an hour I didn't notice a single ranger coming to enforcement or check payment, I was told during the busier months there is someone who patrols more regularly.

The water level does not seem to effect this site as much as Beaver so you could access the entire ramp area through rains had pushed the bounds of the lake upward tremendously. The ramp itself seemed entirely accessible still.

Parking at this area is very nice for larger rigs making it ideal for boat trailers or RVs looking to enjoy the lake for the day, although swimming is out of the question as there is no swimming beach. You can find one just a bit up the road at the Kiowa Park I.

TIPS:

• Make sure you follow the directions on the pay slip correctly.

• There is no store at this location so make sure to bring your supplies with you.

Unkept Grasslands

When I pulled into this campsite I wasn’t sure what to expect. Being on the opposite side of the earthen dam from other campsites along Lake Waurika I didn’t know what if anything would be of interest.

I noticed when pulling in this area offers a couple of hiking trails which is vastly different than the lakeside camping. Sites here were mostly shaded and more of a grassland feel. With that being said after recent rains they looked a little unkept with y’all weeds in many areas making for some questionable conditions.

I found sites at this camp both with and without hook ups. All sites looked to have large pull in slots, however the main road was pretty small so I would assume you need to be very good with your rig if it is longer to navigate into sites.

As a tent camper all these sites looked to have good prospect for placing a tent. Grass surrounding the area would make for a very padded site and with a picnic table, prep table and grill in each site when the grounds are maintained I could see this being a great spot to try.

The other negative I did see to this camp was the low laying areas seemed to hold water so many campsites were a bit saturated on the improved side of camp. Little lakes basically were everywhere. Unfortunately this side was also the area with the better restroom so to get a good spot you would have to walk a farther distance to be able to use the facilities which were cleaner.

Pricing was very fair at this location and during busier season I can only imagine they mow the area which would make it ideal for camping of any kind. But as it sits it felt kind of like a ghost town.

TIPS:

• Take a good drive through camp before selecting a site then drive back to the kiosk to make reservations through the honor box.
  • Don’t overshoot camp entrance because there are no real turn arounds if you are in a larger rig.
Day Use Only

On some maps this spot appears as a dispersed camping area however when I arrived it is very clearly marked "Day Use Only". The road to the public use area is wide enough for two passing vehicles with boats and there is plenty of space for longer rigs to park when you get to the boat ramp area. There is also a restroom with vault toilets and trash cans in this area.

For those using the area there is an honor pay station just off the boat ramp area and cost is very reasonable.

For those wanting to visit the lake and swim, this isn't the right place to do so. There is no swimming beach at this location and it does mention that you cannot swim near the ramp.

When I visited the recent rains had the lake swelling to a pretty high level and the waters had pushed up well over the the typical as can be seen in the picture attached of the dock which typically sets beside the launch area but is now underwater at the shore line. As a result a lot of people had pulled their boats in at camping areas across the lake rather than requiring a day use fee.

TIPS:

• Remember if using this area to lock your doors and hide anything of value, even though this isn't a high traffic area always better safe than sorry.
  • Take toilet paper with you. Though they do have toilets sometimes it is not stocked regularly and depending on traffic you would be better safe than sorry.
  • Check fishing tournament schedules. This ramp is used heavily when they have hosted fishing tournaments so if you are a recreational boater and do not want to have to struggle with finding a parking space or to many other boaters just check in advance.
Seasonally Open

I went to go check out campgrounds around the lake and this one had been recommended by someone in the community of Waurika. Unfortunately when I went out here though it was closed!! There is a nice mercantile and boat storage area just outside of the gate which could explain the recommendation because amenities are so close, however when I arrived the gates were locked.

TIPS:

• Check your visitation in advance for months of operation at this campground along with others.

• When coming to this area check for local events including fishing tournaments and the infamous RattleSnake Roundup.

Clean and Family Friendly

The campgrounds were very well maintained, maps were very easy to navigate! I felt safe setting up my tent and leaving it for the day while our group went out to hike.

KOA in need of a little a little TLC

For improved campground I have always found KOA to maintain a certain level of consistency so when I went on a fun trip with some friends to check out the “rumored Texas Chainsaw Massacre” community just north of Wichita Falls we wanted to check out the KOA there. Now while you are reading this and probably thinking, “WHY WOULD YOU GO THERE??” Keep in mind it is the rumored house and there is no factual proof that it actually is there, instead we found some really interesting other creepy things to go check out, because why not.

Anyway, back to the campground itself.

I was very impressed with the green space, a lot of this area was already starting to brown because of the heat, but they were still looking fresh and soft and that would make for a much better location for our tent. The site itself was just under $30, one of three options they offer which are all only about $4 in difference in pricing. We sprung for the middle option with electrical hook ups, not because we needed them but because after driving around we liked the look of that site a bit more. The deluxe sites they offered were taken but they had bbq grills and a more private tent area, this has been my favorite at several other KOA locations because of the amenities however this again was taken so that wasn’t an option.

We settled in and noticed that there were very nice amenities, the pool was amazing and perfect for a cool down on the warm day. KOA usually has this kind of amenity available as well as some outdoor activities you can enjoy like playground or sports courts. We were told they do observe quiet hours however if we wanted to swim a bit later as long as we were not loud we could do so. I would ask if this is ok before just getting out there and doing it however!!

The shower area was very close to the tent space we had selected and as often is at a KOA, one of my favorite features because they are more home like than a typical National or State Park campground. The water was warm and the pressure was very good!!

I noticed there were several what looked to be long term campers there in RVs. While I personally am not effected by this, it did make the area they were staying in a little less kept looking. They were not over by the cabins and tents however so it wasn’t that off-putting to me, but I could see how if that is an RV stayers view it could be kind of annoying.

I used the WIFI here and it worked great, sometimes the campsites are a bit to far away and thus don’t get good connection, however I was able to use wifi for typical functions, although I did not fully test it with uploading anything major.

TIPS

If you are interested in a Deluxe site book in advance there are very few and they go fast during heavy traffic seasons. Usually at this campsite there are tent sites which are walk in ready however.

Explore around the campground because they have some very interesting items if you are willing to just walk around and see them which are unique to this campground.

• Be careful for stickers. While the area we were in didn’t seem to have them we did notice when walking around especially near the dog walk area they seemed to be pretty bad.
Busy Ramp Location

This campground on paper is a great idea, plenty of sites and right by the lake. That seems like a great idea, but on a recent trip to Lawton I stopped to check it out for future camping and found that paper was a bit deceiving. I was greeted by a park attendant which let me drive in and check it out. I noticed this person was here most of the day so people could arrive late and still check in accordingly.

Because of its location it is a popular spot for those wanting to launch onto the lake. I don’t have any issue with sharing space, but when people park in the road it becomes a little bit of an issue. I have a small car so if I can barely fit around these parked vehicles I know it would be near impossible for an RV or even a van.

With that being said, I looked around at the sites themselves. They are advertised for their amenities which include electrical hook ups (various types) and water. It appeared they did indeed have these, but they did have any primitive site options for tent campers. While I do like to stay in improved sites it is nice to have the more affordable option for those which do not need or require these services. Many times when I stay in a tent, I have no reason to hook up to any of these services. In addition, there were no pad sites for tents so while they do allow tents the do not make special concessions for them in any way.

I went to check out the facilities which include showers and it seemed to be heavily used though there were not any real campers there I could find nearby. I assume this was from the traffic of those using the ramps. I did not check other restrooms to see if their quality was better than the one by the ramp area.

The setting itself was relatedly flat and though there were some trees, it didn’t seem very shady at all. I can only imagine this makes for quite the hot summer camping.

TIPS:

• Make a reservation for a site away from the ramp if you want quiet and less traffic.
  • Check out local burn bans then if there is not one in the area purchase your firewood locally very inexpensively.
  • If you are coming for the Rattlesnake Roundup, book in advance. The attendant did let me know that it is pretty busy that weekend with people traveling from around the country for the event. It is their busiest weekend of the year with the 4th of July running second.