Enid, OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Enid Camping Reviews
Nice park

We camped right next to the river. Was very peaceful and had a great view. There's also plenty to do there if you go during crystal digging season.

Off the beaten path but not too far! Perfect for adventures!

This park is nestled in the red rock hills of close north central Oklahoma with its curved and tree-filled landscape hiding awaiting adventures and treasures to be discovered! The landscape’s curves, twists and turns produce moments of discovery including natural springs abundant with icy cold, clear water flowing from rocky walls and gurgling streams as one winds through pathways of wild wooded areas.

Options for all levels of outdoor-lovers include the lodge, with hotel-type accommodations, restaurant and outdoor seating area to the more adventurous Tipis for those who want to experience a more “close encounter” with nature!

Certainly something for everyone including the good sized lake with recreation for the whole family!

Nice

Clean Showers, nice trees, Close to Guthrie.

Nice Park

Nice and Clean

Great, quiet location!

Great, peaceful setting outside of Enid, Ok! This was a little off the beaten path, but if you’re looking for a peaceful, clean park…this is it!

Small campground with secluded sites

Visiting this campground so was expecting similarities between it and the Guthrie Lake campground as they are both maintained by the city do Guthrie. But I was pleasantly surprised as the road turned to packed rock and dirt and started to get more and more remote in appearance. I noticed equestrian crossings and trails and also signs marking arc access points before entering.

When arriving to the lake itself traffic splits off into one way lanes. You pass a house like structure which serves as a paystation for entry, though when I visited no one was there to accept my money and I didn’t see a self pay area.

The boat ramp and fishing pier is the first thing you see when entering the park with large parking and easy water access. There are a few picnic tables at this point to enjoy the day use space. Just beyond that a swimming “beach”. This was a little perplexing to me because there was less than a foot of red dirt sand then water which was marked as appropriate. The beach itself was tiny but it was nice to see they had created a space unique to swimming in the area for safety. No also noticed an abundance of naked signs about life jacket safety which I thought was great!

As you continue to drive away the more commercial day use area there are 7 campsites each with large parking areas, grills, fire rings, picnic tables and plenty of room to spread out in a tent or RV. These sites do not have hook ups but what they lack there they make up for in lake views. Each site had a clear view of he lake and water access only a short distance from your parking area.

Restrooms are only port a potty units and with recent winds some of these had been knocked over or damaged by tree limbs, so that is something to consider.

I really liked that this location by far seemed more established than the other city maintained option and also had more privacy overall.

Tips:

• Call ahead if you want to stay here on a weekend since there are limited sites and reserve in advance

• Check weather before traveling, it is very common for bad weather to roll through this area and with all of the trees you want to make sure you are safe.

Tents Only

In a pleasant change of pace for camping I pulled into this location to check out the options which exist in this region for camping in a tent. Wow was a pleased when I discovered that this location was designed for tents only!!

The pros were great water access, flush toilets, great parking and access to a self pay station. The cons, completely primitive and the roadway is pretty close to the camping area.

This location is maintained by the City of Guthrie. They have nice parking lot and boat ramp at this location in addition to a fishing pier. A lot of people choose to pull off into the zone deemed camping however for a more shaded coverage when fishing. With that being said there is still plenty of room to have you own little piece of comfort.

You are supposed to park and walk in the 100 yards to the campsites however I did notice that locals drive into this area. It is pretty open and the main concern is that you pay for day use or overnight uses.

There are some scattered picnic tables and trash cans however only one are which has bbq grills and this are is pretty removed from the designated camping zone.

I noticed when I was visiting a lot of traffic down the access road which wasn’t loud really but could be distracting if trying to relax. The traffic was mainly from the residential area which also surrounds the lake.

Overall I really liked this area for day use but am not completely sold on it as a camping area.

Perfect late Fall through Spring

If you are wanting a nice camping experience, you need to try out Roman Nose State Park.  During the Fall and Winter months the lake provides great Trout Fishing that is stocked every 2 weeks.  the Campgrounds are well kept with fire pits, Grills and several sites protected by trees.  The new restrooms at the Canyon Vista are extremely nice.  it has 4 individual Bath Suites; however bring quarters for the hot showers.  The Park itself also offer horsebacking, Canoes, Paddleboats, Swimming pool, Miniature Golf, and a full 18 hole Golf course.  this is a great place for hiking as well.

Ranger Review: Charcoal Banner & Oak Scout Hat At Great Salt Plains SP

CLICK HERE for full video on this location including camping accommodations and dig site information

Finding a campground which also offers unique activities is something I truly enjoy. While many might have hiking or lake activities, finding something which is a bit outside of the box is a little more of a rare find, especially in certain areas of the country. Living next to Oklahoma and exploring it most of my life, I always thought that Oklahoma’s camping was just an extension of Texas, very similar in nature, climate and vegetation. That was until I discovered the Great Salt Plains State Park in northern Oklahoma.

Removed from much of popular civilization the campground is pretty well off the beaten path. Neighboring the small community of Jet, you will drive for miles and miles seeing only farmland with an occasional silo marking a town in this section of Oklahoma. Then out of nowhere the farms transition into a white glaze which is unmatched by the lands around. It almost looks as though snow is laying in the distance, but snow it is not…. It is salt!

Campground Review:

Pulling into the Great Salt Plains State Park there are a variety of options for accommodation you will want to explore. Offering cabins at a reasonable$99 a night, unimproved camping for$14 and RV camping from$22-$25 per night the price point is right on target for most campers. But one thing to note is that the campgrounds themselves are not directly on the Salt Plains, instead these are located closely to the waterways of the location, giving a much cooler and more shaded place to enjoy your time away from home.

With a variety of camping options also comes a variety of vantage points, with some campsites in the more improved locations highlighting the shoreline of the Arkansas River while others overlook the lake from beyond the spillway. I was very pleased with the views available and the variety of options for anglers, boaters and campers alike. This did not feel strictly like a lake campground like so many of the camps do in this region.

The office of the grounds does close rather early at 4 p.m. so it made catching staff a bit harder as there didn’t seem to be anyone actively patrolling the park, with the exception of the dig site for the salt plains…(yes, I said dig site… but we will get to that in a moment). With that being said and also limited cell service, you really need to make sure you are prepared before coming to this remote location.

Of the many camping loops, the one closest to the campground office seemed the least interesting to me personally. There was limited tree coverage, spaces were closely packed together and the restroom was only a port a potty, which in the Oklahoma sun can become a little less than desirable to visit. This portion of the park seemed to be designed mostly for RVs.

Another one which slightly was confusing to me was the official primitive site campground. There is a small community of homes which border the lake on this side and a small stretch of campground separates the homes from the shoreline itself. This seemed a bit uncomfortable for me camping solo to be basically right in someones backyard. This site had beautiful tall trees, great site spacing and the view was amazing so it was a bit unfortunate that this site was so close to everyone’s backyard.

The most appealing sites to me were those along the river which had amazing views and some of the most improved restrooms at the park. These were capable of accommodating both tents and RVs and had connections and amenities which would far surpass other campsites. Here you could find running water, flush toilets and showers in addition to a playground for the kiddos, fish cleaning stations and trash services. A small outdoor chapel/ampitheater was available in this area as well which would be ideal for a group camp.

Sites in this area are the highest of the park ranging between $22 and$25 but they are equipped with picnic tables, fire rings, grills, lantern hooks and easy to pull in and out areas. You can literally walk to the water and be in the river playing or fishing in seconds from any site in this location.

But now to the points of interest of this park…. The Salt Plains!

The unique ecosystem of this area is one to come out and see. There are several observation points in which you can view the birds and other wildlife which call this area home. But one of the things which makes it differ so much from other habitats are the Selenite crystals which can be found as a result of the salt and water table in this area. Birds are drawn to these and often you will find small nests housing eggs lined in crystals. It is unique to say the least.

But if you are not a bird watcher, there is still something for you…. Digging for Crystals!  Yep, you can get hands on and dig into the plains around 2 feet down and find that the water will start flooding into the hole you created. From here you simply need to splash water along the sides of your new dig and expose your jewels to take harvest. Sound to good to be true? Well it is not! It really is that easy!!

And unlike the locations across the country which tell you to not take the sands, dirt, rocks or formations with you, you can take everything you find home with you!!

It is a great activity which can leave you busy for minutes, hours or even days and something which is fun for the entire family. On my trip we started early on an August morning and dug for approximately 3 hours. We brought our own sifters, a few jugs of water for cleaning off our finds and a shovel which seemed to be all we needed to find more than our fair share of crystals.

Crystals come in many shapes and sizes but the most coveted are large clusters or hourglass crystals. The crystals are mineral rich and appear to have a chocolate brown to redish tone based on the contents found in the soil which create them. And the unique thing about them and why we are allowed to take what we find home, is they are constantly regenerating.

Dig site is closed from October to April for migration of wildlife so you will want to plan a trip during the peak months to assure you will be able to dig. Don’t worry about crowds it isn’t terrible even on the most busy of days and there are plenty of crystals to be found.

TIPS:

• Come early if you need park assistance. Offices close at 4 p.m. however you can check into sites through the honor box system.
  • Make sure to cruise Highway 11 when in the area and check out the Artesian Well which offers motorists a cool drink of water along the way which is fresh and delicious. Bring your jugs and fill them up if you would like.
  • Cabin rentals must be booked in advance as there are limited numbers available.

Product Review:

For this trip knowing that the shade would be limited on the Great Salt Plains I made sure to pack the Banner& Oak Scout Hat in Charcoal Grey. This hat is designed as a summer hat with a snapback and breathable meshing to allow heat to escape and wind to come through.

I wanted something which would provide a bit more shade for my face than simply wearing a bandana to pull my hair back and this was a great fit for doing just that.

The hat itself is easy to size and while it is a men’s hat it easily could be sized down to fit my head and still feel comfortable yet secure. It did not appear bunched in the back like some men’s hats can when worn by women, I personally have a relatively small head so this is a huge deal to me.

The charcoal color did not attract as much heat as I thought it might and I felt comfortable even being out for 3 hours diggings and 2 hours exploring the day before.

The design of the hat is a must for anyone who, like myself, loves tent camping as the patch is a tent with a unique design and a great way to express yourself even in the most simplistic of ways.

I think a lot of people neglect to realize that they can wear a basic camping or exploring outfit and then completely change the vibe with the addition of the right hat. From the design and color to the way you wear your hat, all of these things are expressive of your own unique personality. I will definitely be adding this hat to my stack of hats I take on lengthy road trips, it has great feel to it, the brim was shaped well and mesh back makes it perfect for warm to hot climates.

TIPS:

• Don’t be afraid to explore different styles from Banner& Oak. There are several styles which are available to both men and women which can be great for taking your camping look to the next level.
  • Never forget a hat, this is not only fashion but function as it provides a shade for your face and also can greatly aid in your internal temperature control. During winter months especially this is important as you lost the vast majority of your body heat through your head.
Easily Accessed From Highway

On my way north of Oklahoma City I was in search of a gas station on a pretty baron strip of highway. I saw a few signs for a local community of Perry and thought I would check it out along the way. Just off the highway at exit 185 heading toward Highway 77 there was a small truck stop but more surprisingly located just beside as a part of the same property was roadside motel and RV stop.

I inquired within and was informed that they have nightly as well as weekly rates available and often are frequented by tourists passing through on the main highway.

There are only 16 pull through locations but they do allow overnight tent stay, although there is not a discounted rate for tents.

The property is limited on shade but does have basic amenities and proximity to quick feel before hitting the road again.

The restrooms are quite nice and offer showers and laundry services as well. They do allow pets and didn’t seem to have an additional charge for this. If you are looking for an easy access location this one is great for a quick pull off however if you are looking for more recreational style campgrounds look at Perry Lake which is only a short distance away.

A Bad Experience!

I reserved a water view RV site at Lake McMurtry and

their office gave my space away to another camper

We arrived late to the campgrounds (due to their faulty web site directions) and backed into the only space available a couple of sites down

I informed the store of their mistake and they sent over

a gal who told me they would “credit back my stay”

When I didn't see my credit almost two weeks later I called again to ask about it

They then informed me that all they would do now is credit my “next stay”

I won’t be staying at Lake McMurtry again so this is of NO value to me

Their staff is clearly unreliable and unprofessional and I do not recommend them to other campers

Unique Experience

This state park is really cool. There is a huge salt plain where you can dig for crystals. Bring your own shovel and start digging. After a foot or two the hole will begin to fill with water. You then use the water to wash away the dirt and reveal the crystals. They are very easy to find. It’s a great activity for kids. But there is no shade and it can get hot and windy so bring water and sunscreen. Crystal digging is only available from April 1 to October 15 due to the area being a migration stop for whooping cranes. We camped at the river road campsite. It was a pretty good campsite next to the river. Has a playground and the bathroom was pretty clean. Make it a point to walk up the stairs to the top of the dam. There is a great view of the lake.

Great view at the top

This area of Oklahoma is very unique to the rest of the state other than the far western panhandle. Mesas rise up above the land and provide some great scenery. It feels like New Mexico if it weren’t for the red dirt. This park is basically just a stop on the side of the road. There is a primitive bathroom and a vending machine and that’s about it. The hike up the mountain is pretty steep but it’s mostly all stairs. It probably takes 5-10 minutes. The top of the Mesa has some great scenery and picture ops. It gets pretty hot here so bring some water. I probably wouldn’t recommend taking a trip just to Gloss Mountain but if you’re in the area it’s worth it.

Lots to do

Pretty close to OKC. A lot of things to do. Miniature golf, paddle boats, hiking trails, golf course and pool. There is a little store and restaurant in the park. You can even rent a teepee for the night.

Excellent little state park

Easy to moderate hiking, clean campgrounds, good fishing

Great state park

We used to camp here when I was a kid. Camped here in May 2019. Can’t remember the name of the area of where we camped but it was at the north end. We stayed at site 27 and apparently there is a problem with the electrical hook up. It kept going off and on all night causing our lights to flicker and our microwave to beep non stop. Eventually unplugged at 2am. Local told us this was a common problem with site 27 and 28. Other than the electrical the camp ground and experience was great. Will defiantly be back but not at site 27&28!

Just OK

Nice people and clean space but not much on the “park”. Pretty much just a field with tight spaces. Looks like most folks are full timers.

Amazing lake

Beautiful scenery

Great fishing

Boat access

Picnic tables

Trying to restore after damage

Great Adventure

The Great Salt Plains is great place to go for an adventure. You could spend hours just digging up the crystals on the salt plains. I would absolutely recommend everyone to spend the weekend here just relaxing and having a ton of fun. The RV Camp sites were very clean and the cleaning staff that were there when we went were very friendly.

Update by OSU

I will complete this on my computer.

Very Nice

This is a very well maintained RV park. I think the pictures speak for them selves.

• 32 Spacious Hookups
  • Rental Cabin
  • Free Wi-Fi
  • Safe Storm Shelter
  • Stocked Fishing Pond

Located just minutes from Lake McMurtry, Lake Carl Blackwell, Karsten Creek Golf Course, Oklahoma State University, and all the rest that Stillwater has to offer, Cedar Crest is situated on 40 acres in a natural setting and offers modern amenities. Despite our country setting, we are easily accessible by paved roads.

Never busy or loud

Never busy or loud when I've been there. Wish there were fish in the lake. Nice little swim beach. Perfect place to get away from the big city and see the sky.

Canadian

Canadian campground was destroyed by a tornado and was rebuilt. very nice with great concrete pads and nice picnic covered pads with nice tables. very well done. trees planted but small yet 2018. the lake is on three sides of sites with boat ramp.

small

this is a corps of engineers campground if you have a senior America passport you can camp for half price same as all national parks. nice sites some back up to the lake and you have a view. big cottonwood trees line the lake. 50 amp and water hookups no sewer. very busy so need to reserve for weekends.

Loovee

Grew up going here with my parents now we take our kids.. Hubby lives to kayak here..

Weekend Getaway

This park is well-maintained and has fire pits and gravel camping spots. We normally stay on the west side because we like the shower house and swimming area better. We noticed that they had added a park to this side and we knew our daughter would enjoy that so we stay the weekend, most normally we will go to this lake on a last-minute getaway because it is very close to us. I think people who fish would enjoy this lake or if you are into disc golf or exploring hiking trails.

Simple, but easy and affordable

There are some rowdy campers, but never gets too loud. Kids love going

Convenient to the Beach

Stayed in campsite 27. Nice site with afternoon shade, covered picnic table and cook area. Backs up to the woods. 2 negatives-poor cell phone reception and no dump station in this campground. You have to go across the dam to use dump station.

Private RV Sites with easy lake access

We really love the long, relatively private sites on the west side. Each campsite is somewhat screened from the neighbor by brush.

Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring, water and electrical hookups.

There is a dumpster on the circle. There is a shower and a toilet at the bait shop. Each (west side) campsite has access to the lake.

Our favorite campsites are #11 and #12, which are a little more private, and because we can easily launch our kayaks from both spots and they have nice areas to fish.

There are many nice hiking trails.

The west side is our favorite place to camp within 60 miles of Stillwater.

The cons - ticks are very plentiful, and we have heard that copperheads are plentiful in the camping area. I personally haven't seen one, but camping neighbors are always happy to let us know when they have! Might take a weed eater and clear the brush on your path to the water!

The road to the campground is fairly long and winding, but easy to make with the trailer as long as you obey the speed limit.

The only other con is it is hard to get reservation. They have a very nice online reservation system, but the campsites fill up quickly and pretty far out date wise. I wish they had twice as many campsites!

Here is the main website: https://www.lakemcmurtry.com/

Here is their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/lakemcmurtry I highly recommend their facebook page and their youtube videos. They are really funny.

Regarding boating (Taken from the website):

• The following are prohibited: activities that involve towing a person behind a boat, sea-doos, jet skis, or any similar personal motorized watercraft.
  • Boats of any kind are not allowed in the swim area.
  • Watercraft must be properly registered by the state of Oklahoma before entering the lake.
  • Designated boat ramps are for “launching” only.
  • Maximum speed is 25 mph. No wake at boat docks and ramps.
  • Water skiing, jet skis, sea doo’s, water bikes, and any other related water sports are prohibited.
One of the very cleanest I have stayed at.

The amenities were very clean, some being very new. Multiple new dump stations in each area. Bathrooms were very clean. Most all campsites are right on the water. Beautiful campground. Offers Equestrian trails, hiking trails, and bicycling trails. Our favorite in-state campground.