Water Unknown
About McGee Creek State Park
McGee Creek State Park is located in Oklahoma
6 Reviews of McGee Creek State Park
McGee State Park

This place is really dark at night and some campsites are very private. You can see so many stars. There is a grill and a table at you campsite. The campsites are gravel and have tins of ants… Just a warning. When the sun comes up there is a silver glow on the water beautifull. There is also a beach area.

Short drive from the city and escape

We met the camp host who assisted us in finding our spot. We had a site far from anyone else and had a lakeside camp spot. This made our site feel huge. My favorite moment was when I was able to strip bare in the moonlight and dance on the shore. It feels very private & peaceful

The sites themselves were awesome. We opted for a site with electricity and our site had a newly built & paved platform/deck with the picnic table, grill, and light hook. The camp host suggested we pop our tent on the pavement but we found a suitable spot so we could stake our tent in.

The bathroom were clean and easily accessible though depending on where your site is you may end up wanting to drive to the bathroom. Lol

I almost for got to tell you that there are cabins here. Very basic simple structures with bunk beds, a table inside, a fireplace, & screened in porch. On our way out of the campgrounds we drove by to take a peak & saw a ranger there who allowed us to pop in to see. She recommended a visit to McGee Creek during winter. Less visited & they get snow. How peaceful!

Nice State Park for Fishing

McGee Creek is a great park if you enjoy camping and fishing with plenty of opportunity to do so both from the shore line and a boat. On the small side for a state park, it still has plenty of tent sites and RV sites for everyone to enjoy. The park boasts updated bathrooms, fire rings and tables. We didn't find the hiking trails when we were here but will be back to explore soon.

mcgee Creek state park

I camped here with my 12 year old cousin here and he absolutely loved it. There is free admission but it costed 12 dollars for the site which was really cheap. pets are allowed and they have clean hot showers

Hidden Gem

McGee creek State Park is a beautiful state Park. It has beautiful campsites nestled along the lake shore. Their campsites can accommodate big RVS. The lake is beautiful. The fishing is great from boat, shore or covered fishing dock. I love swimming and kayaking in the cool water. They also have campgrounds for people with horse. The lake is surrounded by the kiamiche mountains. There is no lights around the lake except at the park. Star gazing is amazing. The lake has 2 dams. The park has beautiful hiking trails going through the Pines. If you like to hike you can choose the type of hiking you want to do from just a few minutes hike or carry gear for camping in the forest. You have to sign in when you go hiking back country. I went hiking in the winter and because I took a trail that was new to me I was 5 minutes late getting back to the Ranger Station and when I came out of the Forrest their was a search team assembling. Very embarrassed but it felt good to know if I had been lost or injured they would have found me. The state Park also have 8 camping huts that are air condition and heated that have a fireplace, screened in porch that you can relax and look out over the lake. They are nestled in the Pines along the shore at Potapo Hill.They are unique. They were built back in the 40s I believe by WPA. The huts have a set of bunk beds, picnic table, heat and air, fireplace, fireplace, barbecue grill. The huts do not have bathrooms in each hut but have shared bathrooms outside that are clean and kept up. The huts are not equipped with refrigerator, cook stove or bed linens. So if I'm going for a few days or longer I take a mini fridge, hot burners for cooking. Basically this is camping with the luxury of having a roof over your head with the comfort of heat and air without bugs bitting. The huts have plenty of room for 2 queen size air up mattresses. They also give good discount for vets, military and disabled.

McGee Creek State Park

McGee Creek is one of my favorite parks. From OKC, it's about a 3.5 hour drive, but it is well worth it. This little park is very quiet and not heavily trafficked. The trails are wonderful, and it's in close proximity to the lake. The beginning of the trails are really well manicured, but as you get into the deeper parts of the trail, they can get a little hairy because they aren't visited often. I've always enjoyed my stay at McGee Creek.