Canton Lake, OKLAHOMA
Most Recent Canton Lake Camping Reviews
Great state park

We used to camp here when I was a kid. Camped here in May 2019. Can’t remember the name of the area of where we camped but it was at the north end. We stayed at site 27 and apparently there is a problem with the electrical hook up. It kept going off and on all night causing our lights to flicker and our microwave to beep non stop. Eventually unplugged at 2am. Local told us this was a common problem with site 27 and 28. Other than the electrical the camp ground and experience was great. Will defiantly be back but not at site 27&28!

Amazing lake

Beautiful scenery

Great fishing

Boat access

Picnic tables

Trying to restore after damage

this is amazing find. used to be a state park

new management of the park has lots of plans. cleaning this already great park, adding mountian bike trails to go along with the hiking trails. has a small fishing pond for kids, swimming pool open during summer months. when you drop down into this park you are in another world just beautiful and serene.

A Magical Place Tucked Away in Oklahoma

My dog, Ava, and I joined a group of fellow teardrop campers in a surprisingly unique and fascinating campground in Oklahoma. This campground, formally known as Red Rock Canyon State Park, has now become simply Red Rock Canyon Campground. The state park was slated for closure when a local family from the nearby town of Hinton negotiated to lease this lovely place from the state in order to keep this local gem open for both day use and camping.

WOW, what a great service they have done for camper travelers. After checking in at the friendly office, we found ourselves driving down a somewhat steep and winding road into the canyon. Now I'm pulling a 2300 pound teardrop, but plenty of big rigs have also made it down with no problems. The place really is enchanting. The tent sites are tucked right into the canyon walls, and full hook ups, while not tucked in are right inside the canyon as well. With kids in mind, there are many playgrounds as well as repelling and trails for adult types, but you must bring your own climbing equipment.

The one downside for me was the pay showers. It was 75 cents for a six minute shower, and change machines were right there, but hey, I want free showers.

Accessible, family-pet friendly site.

We camped with friends, campsite was very roomy with plenty of space for the pups and kiddos. We even brought our own disc basket and had plenty of space to play. The grounds were clean, well kept, restrooms were clean. While the park is relatively small, it is very family friendly with a nice playground,swimming pool. There is a rock climbing area that looks to be a great place for beginners. Everything was walkable. Nice trails that people of all ages and abilities were using. I wish there had been another trail that was longer, I wouldn’t recommend for serious hikers. It’s just about an hour drive from OKC which means we will be back for another quick weekend getaway.

Hiking, Climbing or Exploring

When driving down 40 everything seems so flat, then you turn into this state park and it unexpectedly takes your breath away as you begin to descend into the canyon and are surrounded by the bold red canyon walls.

I had no idea what to expect when I first entered the park and the more and more deep I drove into the canyon but I became more and more excited as I saw a trail jut off to the right, and a spring trickling down the hillside to the left. A pull off just before the tent campground with a view point of the waterway opened up to another point of interest.

Then there was the camping area, nestled in the cove of the canyon with climbing walls on both sides, large shade trees, picnic tables, fire rings and more access to hiking. Restrooms were well maintained and included pay showers separate from the restroom facilities themselves. Very fair pricing and views that simply would not stop!!

Just up the way a bit further were improved tent and RV sites with electricity, dump stations and less removed feeling. Pay stations were located in each of the camps and rangers circled to make sure you were ok pretty regularly.

TIPS:

• Make reservations if you are wanting an RV site during busy times of year or weekends.
  • If you are a climber, there are plenty of walls, but you have to bring your own gear.
Canadian

Canadian campground was destroyed by a tornado and was rebuilt. very nice with great concrete pads and nice picnic covered pads with nice tables. very well done. trees planted but small yet 2018. the lake is on three sides of sites with boat ramp.

small

this is a corps of engineers campground if you have a senior America passport you can camp for half price same as all national parks. nice sites some back up to the lake and you have a view. big cottonwood trees line the lake. 50 amp and water hookups no sewer. very busy so need to reserve for weekends.

Excellent

There is not much about this campground online so we sort of were coming in blind. When we got there we were pleasantly surprised. The campground entry point is located in the far back of the parking lot of an indoor water park, The Water Zoo. Only one way in and one way out, which was a plus keeping crime down or keeping people from driving fast through the park. Drive down a paved road through the tree (not too worry) and wow, a little hidden gem. We stayed there two nights during the week. It was quiet, hardly anyone there. The grounds were kept clean and grass was cut short. They even came out and mowed the lawn again before departure. The bathrooms were clean and seperate from one another. Each restroom had a toilet, shower and sink. Ladies, no mirrors. There is a code to get in which I liked because it keeps riff raff out (not that there was any.) There are full hook ups, sewer included on some. We pretty much had the pickins and in our opinion lot 37 was the best pick. Not all sites had fire rings or sewer hook ups, this one did. It was also a pull through site with lots of shade. The grounds are surrounded by trees which gave it a feeling of being in the woods. It had everything we needed, nice slab, nice tables, store within walking distance and an indoor water park that is open year round. For those with horses, this campground is horse friendly. There is a place to house them overnight. Highly recommend this place. We will definitely be going back.

Easy access into park from freeway

Gravel stalls. Plenty long enough for rv and car trailer. Walking distance to Trading Post. Buffaloes on site in a pen. Interesting jumping structure and tons of park equipment to work out on.

Nice camping along Route 66

I stopped off to camp here after a long day on the road and was pleasantly surprised about the tent campground after driving through a packed, wall to wall RV camping area. The tent area is set quite a ways from the RV area, so there are no concerns about generator noise or overcrowding. While you generally can see most of the campsites from your site, they are pretty well spaced apart and some have nice underbrush between them for privacy. I ended up in a very large site under the red rock wall in an area that is open for rappelling and climbing, but as it was late in the afternoon, I did not have any visitors except some kids who wanted to climb. My site did not have any really good trees for hammocks, but a walk around the loop and visit with neighboring campers showed that some had good trees for hammocks and some did not. I was a short walk to the bathhouse, which was very clean with pay showers on one side and toilets on the other. Just outside the camping area was a neat pond and spillway, a great place for a picnic for day visitors.

A hidden gem!!

Gorgeous. They have showers and plenty of camping spots.

Great overnight just outside of OK City

This was a perfect place to stay outside of OKC, there was a ranger station with super useful maps and info that you can access even when it’s not open. There were bathrooms and showers that were pretty nice for a park. There were a lot of spots as well as grills and picnic tables. They even had a handicap accessible camping spot.

Love red rock

Have been going here for years. Family loves to climb and rappel the canyon walls. Bathrooms are clean and the pay showers are reasonable and hot. Love the nature it provides for us.

Simple, but easy and affordable

There are some rowdy campers, but never gets too loud. Kids love going

Convenient to the Beach

Stayed in campsite 27. Nice site with afternoon shade, covered picnic table and cook area. Backs up to the woods. 2 negatives-poor cell phone reception and no dump station in this campground. You have to go across the dam to use dump station.

Beautiful but Small

The park itself is beautiful. The campsites are in the canyon along the canyon walls. The park is often packed and it can be difficult to find a spot if you arrive late. They are small sites but are mostly soft grass with minimal stickers.

Simple

The campgrounds at Boiling Springs State Park are small and the majority are RV sites. There are GIANT mosquitos in the late spring and summer and they are in swarms. The park is not as well taken care of as it used to be. Small trails are near by and there are plenty of deer and raccoons to see. Lots of trees on the outer campsites in the Whitetail Campground.

Family friendly, clean, and entertaining place to stay!

What a great place to camp in Oklahoma! The campground was well maintained, the bathrooms were spotless, and the variety of trails was endless. I stayed here just for the night and a short hike the next morning before continuing to Colorado, and if I had not been on a tight schedule I would have stayed longer! They have several options for camping including group sites, RV hookups, and cabins, playgrounds for the kids, a pool with concessions, and lots of hiking and biking options. The rangers were very friendly and informative, giving me lots of great information, not just about this park, but all Oklahoma State Parks. They were very dog friendly and mine enjoyed the stay as well, with lots of things to sniff and see. Dogs are allowed on all trails and inside most buildings as long as they are on a 10 foot leash.

I didn't want to leave

This campground was a hidden gem in Hinton OK. The surrounding area is rolling hills and farm land, but once you enter the park, there is a warning sign that the road is steep and winding. (That was an understatement) As we traveled the main road into the park, we literally dropped into another world.

Surrounded on all sides by red sandstone bluffs, this campground has both primitive and RV camping. The first primitive site that you pass on the left is actually in a box canyon full of trees and does have an older but clean set of restrooms and pay showers. The other primitive camping area does not have facilities. With this camping area set within a box canyon, it was shaded through most of the day. (At this time site rates are $14 with a $2 discount for senior citizens.)

Full of wildlife, rabbits, deer, squirrels and armadillos abound. I am sure that there are more diverse animals in the area, but these were the ones we saw. The box canyon is set for climbing or repelling, no matter what your experience level. I am a little old lady in my 60's and had the opportunity to climb one of the smaller bluff walls (about 10' high) and was absolutely awed by the scenery once I topped the wall. Trails led off in all directions and the view from on top of the bluff was extraordinary. I traversed several trails on the top of the bluff and am still in awe at the view.

The park also has a small fishing lake and a paved hiking trail with handicap access. The RV sites, if you are into that kind of thing, appeared to all be pull-thrus. The park rangers patrol the park on a regular basis, are extremely friendly and very personable.

If you are just passing through Oklahoma on I 40, this is a definite must see. You are within 30 minutes of historic Ft. Reno, about an hour from Roman Nose State Park and about an hour west of OKC. If you look at the park on Travelok.com the pictures do not do it justice.

Better Than Expected

I took my Girl Scout troop of Brownies and Juniors here the last weekend of April. I got there early on Friday so I could get enough campsites for us, since the sites are first-come, first-served. I think this is important because there aren't too many that are away from the RV campgrounds or that have shade. The grounds are pretty clean for a state park and with the resources they have available. We stayed in Beaver Den, which is near the bathrooms with a shower. There is a fantastic red cedar set back into the tree that the girls loved climbing and a little hill they spent plenty of time scaling.

Campsites have picnic tables, a grill, and a fire pit with a grate. The loops are small, so the water is close.

The park ranger was awesome. He drove by several times to ensure everything was fine. He let me know in the future to call the ranger on duty to see if the group campground would be available (because it is also first-come, first-served). They also give a 50 percent discount if they have a service project for scout groups, which is awesome. They came and talked to the girls about a service project and the importance of wearing a life jacket.

Something to pay attention to is that they charge by the tent, not by the campsite. Both Travel.ok and the signage at the park indicate it is $14 per campsite with no more than two tents per site.

Our girls did two horseback rides at the stables. Jennifer & Bre are awesome! There is a small petting zoo with a very spunky goose, some goats, a bunny, and a duck. The ride was fun and relaxing. The girls also want to play mini golf. The general store gave us a discount for being Girl Scouts, but I don't know if that's standard practice.

There are easy hiking trails for little kids and inexperienced people. We also went do the natural spring, which the girls enjoyed and hunted for crawdads.

The lodge has free Oklahoma state park passport books and stickers for kids. If you are familiar with the national park passport books then you'll want to snag one of these.

All and in the staff from the lodge, the stables, to the rangers, and general store all went above and beyond to make our stay great!

Great Oklahoma Camping

Fun and relaxing, always have a good experience here!

Unique and beautiful park

Great historic hot springs park with some hiking, swimming, and wildlife, plus lots of other parks and things to do close by. We came here for a birding festival and saw many new birds. The pools are a good mix of historic construction and modern safety and amenities. Really beautiful.

Yay: nice and shady, large sites, love the springs, great ranger office.

Nay: can be crowded. Bugs. Trains nearby.

Surprise: I’ve been to a lot of springs and this one was especially nice. Lots of great trails to explore too.

Hiking

Amazing trails and great views.

Oasis

Well kept, great hiking, nice activities.

Cool overnight stop

Camped here in June and the canyon provided a nice break from the heat. Worth the stop.

Good scenery, beware of Day use guests

I stayed here on an overnight stop driving west. The scenery is beautiful, some nice trails to get up on top of the canyon and see the landscape. Showers, restroom, all in good working order. However, I don't know that I would be back to this campsite again unless on a weekday. It has day use visitors, and unfortunately the ones with the loud music next to my spot did not leave until close to midnight. It is a small canyon so noise travels very well. It was very busy as I stayed there on a Sunday afternoon but almost no overnight users. That being said, however, I would stay here again.

Hidden Treasure of Oklahoma

My boyfriend took me here for valentines day, and it blew me away. Most people rent dune buggies or bring their jeeps to enjoy the dunes, but we just camped and roamed the dunes by ourselves. It's such a unique park - you don't get to walk around miles of sandunes every day! The amenities were fine, the stars were amazing, and it was a nice quiet evening. Make sure you go into town for dinner - the German restaurant is the BEST.

This hidden gem is one of the greater places to go in Oklahoma. Even if I did lock my keys in the truck and had to wait on AAA

Gorgeous, peaceful and lots of adventure

We had a great time. Lots of opportunity in this canyon from Roppeling, rock climbing, tent /RV camp sites to day sites, a remodeled pool with two slides and rock climbing wall, it has it all. We stayed in camp site #6 and feel in love. We will be back!