Sardis Lake, OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Sardis Lake Camping Reviews
Good place for family camping

Good place for family camping. Plenty of room and peaceful area. Our family had a enjoyable time.

Beautiful views and great family fun!

Beautiful views and great family fun! One of the best camping trips that our family has ever taken. Lots of things to do, hiking and camping was amazing. We will definately be returning and highly recommend to all.

Nice campground for weekend getaway

Nice campground for weekend get away. Well kept grounds, friendly staff and great place to spend the weekend. Recommended and will return in the future.

Primitive Tent Camping

Primitive Tent Camping with family. It was okay for a one night tent camping experience. I wouldn't recommend staying longer than that in the primitive camping area.

Beautiful region

Beautiful region. Our family enjoyed camping and hiking.  Pleasant weather and lots of sunshine during our stay. Lots of fun had by our group.

Quiet on Sardis Lake

ABSOLUTELY NO CELL SERVICE OR WIFI, had both ATT and Verizon as well as a we boost,  soHAD Bathrooms flush ? did not use, dumpster, some fire pits, beach in another part of park, picnic tables, level sites, grills, no services at this park, it is part of the Potato Hills Park on same lake, but not connected, the other has shower n dump.

Very clean and nice to be on the water, some trees, there was a host, self check in part of ACE Army Corps. Engineers.   Able to use  National Park pass for 50% discount. Golden age or Access veterans, etc.

Kayak adventures

We loved the water here! The river is perfect for kayaking and has fantastic views and cool water. The lake is beautiful! We visited on Labor Day weekend and the entire park was crowded. We stayed at the Bluejay campground. The reason we gave this campground 3 out of 5 stars was due to the lack of cleanliness of the campsite and restroom facility. It also has very little privacy due to campsites being close in proximity. It is a dog friendly campground and we love that but other campers did not obey by the leash rule. We took our own kayaks to take down the Lower Mountain Fork River but there is a rental place with lots of kayaks available. We will visit again but choose another campground for our next visit.

Be prepared

We stayed in the Deep Ford loop, site 1. The site is really nice and sits right on the river. The downsides of the site are, sites 1, 2 and 3 are maybe 50 yards from HWY 2 and you get a good amount of traffic up until 9:00, and overnight you’ll still get a few cars and trucks driving by. The second thing was a little bit of bummer is that there’s not a lot of trees because power lines run right now the sites. These sites are also really rocky and sandy so it make for a bit of a chore to find a descent tent pad. The last thing that wasn’t great was the only water for the three sites was 2 sites over and if I hadn’t brought my Katadyn 3 liter filter it would’ve been awkward having to cut through 2 other people’s sites to get water. The site itself is very pretty and has a great fire pit (even though we bring our Solo Stove Bon Fire with us). The nice part of not having a lot of trees are you can see the stars so easily over the site.

The park itself is awesome and the caves are an easy hike for kids, and dogs. The loop is less than a mile but there’s tons of rocks and little caves for the kids to climb on and in. There’s tons of playgrounds that the kids can play on and a pretty nice day use area.

Campground closure

Cedar Lake is going to be closed for few weeks during Fall of 2019 for maintenance and repairs. I would be sure and call office before traveling there in hopes of camping!

Great quite area and golf course

We stayed here and had a pull thru full hookup.  Campground isnt real big but very nice.

Dirty and disappointing

My wife and I went here for a brief weekend trip to try out some new gear and to paddleboard in Broken Bow lake. We chose the Coyote Drive camping area because it seemed to have the best water access. The first thing we noticed we we got out to scout out a campsite was that the place was filthy with all sorts of trash strewn around including soiled diapers at one site even though there are dumpsters nearby for trash collection. We did manage to find one spot that was less trashy and spent some time cleaning up what was there before we set up camp. We spent one night but decided to leave the next afternoon because the area was becoming quite crowded and noisy. It seems as if folks are using this as a day use area even though it is a designated campground and there are other day use areas available in the park. Our only interaction with the park staff was to pay the fee. We did not see any other staff attempting to enforce rules and clean up. It's really a shame that the conditions were so bad because the lake and the surrounding hills are beautiful.

One of my favorites

Beavers Bend State Park is absolutely beautiful and it’s one of my favorite parks in Oklahoma! My husband and I like to book a cabin stay every year during the late winter/early spring season (we like to go when the hiking trails are less crowded). The cabins here are small and cozy but they are very well kept up. And just FYI, the park was experiencing high tide due to the large amount of rain they received around the time of our last visit. This triggered the loud flood sirens and they went off every few hours throughout the night. I wouldn’t say that this happens often and we didn’t experience any flooding.

Ranger Review: Stream2Sea Travel Size At Beavers Bend State Park

When it comes to Oklahoma one location which continually is brought up is Broken Bow, OK where you can find a great escape from the DFW area or a retreat from your own location which is like no other. Offering a paradise of water activities for summer, cozy cabins for winter and a vast array of amenities for any taste you can find something within this park on pretty much any budget.

Campground Review

I visited Beavers Bend State Park and took a moment to explore the accommodation options and WOW oh WOW!! From primitive tent locations to full hook ups and cabins outfitted in a variety of styles and sizes there truly is something for everyone at this park. You can find sites located on the waters edge for quick boat launching or further removed for forrest and trail access.

During the wet season there is a waterfall which rests at the end of a scenic hike, during summer various locations rent everything from paddle boards to kayaks and there is an abundant supply of fishing equipment which can be found for those wanting to try their hand at fly or rod and reel fishing.

When I visited mid week during early summer the park was filled with life yet did not seem crowded. A small half way stop where a private owner offers horseback riding, train rides and affordable shopping was buzzing with a filled parking lot. The swimming beach was filled with those wanting to have a little fun in the sun. The visitor center was bustling. Yet even with all these areas seeming very lively, the park itself is large enough where I never felt overwhelmed by the people around me. There were still plenty of quiet moments to be had in areas which seemed very remote, despite being no oh so far away from these populous areas.

The real feature of this park is by far the water! If you can follow the water you can see how amazing this area of Oklahoma truly is. Around this area the trees thrive and area green and beautiful. You find that even through the world around this section of land is flat, the world opens up when you arrive and you are met with hills and low laying mountains. It is unique in its location to say the least. I found that the primitive campgrounds as well as improved campgrounds were very shaded and each came equipped with a picnic table, fire ring and lantern hook. The main differences in the sites other than the obvious electricity were in the restrooms. Restrooms near improved campgrounds were much larger and nicer, they included flush toilets and showers unlike the vault style toilets of the primitive sites.

When booking online during peak season there is a 2 night minimum required currently on weekends. On holiday weekends during peak season you must reserve for 3 nights when it comes to cabins. For campsites there is no requirement. I did notices however that many of the campsites are on a first come first serve basis and after speaking to several park employees during peak season the grounds fill up quickly as of Thursday evening for the upcoming weekend. You will want to get there as early as possible especially to secure an improved campsite.

Prices are very reasonable for tent and RV patrons at only$12 for a primitive site and$20 for an improved location. Pets are allowed in these areas however if you choose to bring your pet to stay in a cabin there is a pet fee.

TIPS:

• Plan ahead and stop in Broken Bow for supplies. While Hochatown is also close by the prices in that community are much higher than in the main city of Broken Bow.
  • Take time to stop at the visitor center and nature center area they are worth it because of the rich history of the area which are made visible through the museum.
  •  If you are renting a watercraft check out the stop closest to the swimming beach. They have miniature golf for the family and also the best selection of options including paddle boats, kayaks, canoes and paddle boards.

Product Review

When checking out new locations many times I get the opportunity thanks to the Dyrt to test out products on my adventures. For this fun filled day in the sun I was able to check out the Stream2Sea Face& Body Sunscreen in the 1 oz Travel Size.

This product is perfect for a person on the go and has just enough to reapply several times throughout the day to keep you safe and protected from the UVA and UVB rays. The product itself is mineral based and does not appear sticky or tacky on the skin once applied. Although I will say it does take a little while to fully absorb which can leave you appearing a little more ghostly until it does. With this being said, this also makes it very easy to know where the sunscreen has been applied and where you might have missed a spot.

The sunscreen is water-resistant which is perfect for a location such as Beavers Bend State Park where you will likely be in and out of the water in a multitude of ways. The product is unscented so it will not attract mosquitoes. I think this aspect is potentially one of the best qualities of this particular sunscreen because it allows you to have fun and adventure without worrying about the unpleasant feasting which bugs often do when they area attracted to sunscreens which have fruity or floral fragrances.

When I wore the product I truly did test it to the max on my fair skin. I reapplied every 80 minutes per instruction and then decided that I would skip my last application to see if it continues to work. I did learn they make these directions for a reason so follow instructions for application and do not miss reapplication times.TIPS:

• Apply before you get in the water by at least 5 minutes to allow your base layer to fully absorb.
  • Follow the schedule for reapplication relatively close to the 80 minute mark.
  • This is a body and face product and works well on either so do not forget the face!!
Centralized Cabins, Tent & RV Camping

When searching for a unique camping experience you might check out something a little bit outside of the box. Offering tent sites and RV sites Tiny Town might seem normal on paper but when you were arrive they have a lot of options which might be considered a little bit different.

I pulled into Tiny Town I noticed right away the unique experience which they offer. Though RVs were parked in the front and on the right I noticed a community of tiny homes just beyond the bounds. Many tiny homes were under construction however a few options were already up and running in a variety of floor plans ideal for any traveler visiting the area.

The property it’s self is small but does offer a few amenities including a restroom and laundry as well as a small play facility. The big draw to this area is the quick and easy access to beavers Bend State Park and other attractions around the Broken Bow area.

The offering of cabin rentals varies from humble three person dwellings all the way up to a 20 person“Deck-A-Saurus”. Cabins are all equipped with standard furniture including couches and beds, making it ideal for those who just want to pullin and immediately jump into comfort. The RV area it’s self accommodate 17 spaces in three various sizes. Each side includes full hook ups, and barbecue pits. The larger areas have private fire pits as well as picnic tables.

When I visited I noticed that the area was a little void of large trees. However the area is currently working to re-landscape and provide better shade accommodations along the perimeter’s which would be very beneficial to tent campers. While they do not market the smaller sites as tent only facilities I did notice there were several people staying in vans or tents in these sites along the outer border.

The facility itself is very clean and well-maintained. You can really tell there is attention to detail at this location and that as it continues to grow and be developed that this will be a continued point of interest.

Standard nightly rates run between $30 and $45 depending on the site for RV or tent camping. They do also offer both weekly and monthly rates but do impose strict guidelines for those who are staying long-term to keep the facility clean and not looking unkept.

The Broken Bow Area offers beautiful unique attractions. If you like fishing, hiking,canoeing or trying something a little new this area is perfect. This park offers easy access to not only the outdoor features but also the nice Intown features such as restaurants making it a perfect place to stop if you’re in the area.

The only downside I could see to this campsite is that it is not as remote as some.    While it does provide great amenities and access points to everything around with easy pull ins for RV traffic, it does lack that in the woods feel that many other campsites provide.   You will be a little close to your neighbors here.

Fairly decent

Although it has water and electric hook ups, it’s extremely primitive, especially bathrooms.

BEAUTIFUL!

One of the most beautiful campsites we’ve been too.

This place is incredible!

Buffalo, horses and awesome amounts of fish! We stayed here in a duplex cabin and could just fish right out our back door. They have hiking trails and 2 private lakes. The RV area looked new because all of the power boxes had 50/30 and 120 outlets and breakers which is super cool. All of the sites had sewer and water connections too.

Robbers Cave State Park

This is my third time to return to Robbers Cave and I believe my last. We stayed in a cabin 2 nights and The lodge one night. I have never slept on such a broken mattress. I could barely sleep it was so bad. The box spring was broken and leaning to the side. The mattress had a huge hole from wear that slopes to the right and down. I felt like I was going to fall off. Terrible. The carpet had a really nasty sticky looking spot. I felt like I couldn’t walk around with out shoes. The air unit was super loud with a humming noise. It was struggling. I think it has gone down hill. I added a photo no sure if you can see how bad it is..

Beautiful place

Nice campground with lots of things to see.

Quiet evening with no crowd

We enjoyed our stay. Beautiful views. 12$ a night for primitive.

Primitive camping

Stayed at a primitive site up the highway a bit thinking the distance from the main amenities would mean less people and less noise. Boy was I wrong. The spots we looked at were all trashed and filthy. Broken glass, McDonalds trash, and lots of old garbage that hadn't been cleaned. The dumpster for the sites was overfilled onto the ground. The day use in that area was ridiculous, alot of loud teenagers and partying. I get it, I was a kid once too but I stayed out in the sticks specifically to keep away from crowds and it was absolutely not worth it. The lakes are nice and the things you can do at this park are awesome but between, the trash, the people, and the highway bisecting the park, I can't really see myself staying here again. 2 stars

Very quite

Lots of tall trees plus some open areas. Trees will not block canopies or pull outs ! Very helpful staff ! Has 30 and 50 amp . Along side a river also plus they have cabins

One of the best in OK

Great place to camp. Lots of trees. Great scenery on the drive in. Tons of hiking trails. Also a good pizza restaurant nearby. Tons of cabins to rent nearby if you want. The river has great trout fishing too. There is a playground, horseback riding, swimming and a little museum. Lots of stuff to do. You could easily spend a week here.

One of my favorites

We camp here every October at group camp 1. It’s a big site with cabins and a great dining hall. New playground as well. The hike up and around robbers cave is fun. Very nice view at the top.

We stayed at the lodge a few years ago. I can recommend that as well.

Wilburton is about 10 minutes away. There is a great Mexican restaurant there.

Clean, quiet and a only a few hundred feet from the lake

Great campsite for RV's and large families. Plenty of room in between campsites to allow groups to have both an RV and tent set up if needed. Full hookup's are available in most spots. Water and electric are available at all sites. Showers had great pressure but you must use quarters when paying to use them. Firewood was available for sale with the camp host. Bathrooms and showers need to be cleaned but overall, they are decent.

5 Stars are not enough for this campground!

We camped at Billy Creek in March 2019.  We were the only ones there which made it fabulous!  We set up camp right above the river and got to hear the river going over the rocks the whole time.  There was a easy and short little trail down to the river and lots of large rocks to hang out on.  The campsite has tons of big trees.  Each site has a fire ring, picnic table and grill.  Water is available, but not at each spot.  No electricity, no flushing potties, no showers, no sewer hookups, no wifi.  There are latrine bathrooms (2) in a small building near the entrance. There is an abundance of hiking trails, 4 wheeler/motorcycle trails and many trails that a full size SUV can do.  Lots of forest service roads to explore.  We stayed 3 nights and only saw people one day that came in to meet up and ride 4 wheelers.  We will definitely go back!

INCREDIBLE

A must visit! Stunning views of pines and mountains. No reservations, fire rings and picnic tables on every site. A couple trails within walking distance. No firewood or ice available to purchase on site.

Best trout fishing around!

Beaver's Bend State Park has the best year round trout fishing in this part of the USA…it's one of the only places where the water is cool enough to sustain the fish throughout even the summer. There are seven different campgrounds inside the park, and they have only JUST started an online reservation system; so it's now possible to ensure the site you want before you get there! Some of the sites are on the bank of the Lower Mountain Fork river, and some are more inland, out of direct eye site of the river. The park and river do get fairly crowded over holiday weekends, and even on regular weekends with nice weather, but we've never had an issue with the campsites being totally full; there always has been one available. The views are lovely, the water is pristine, and if you get bored with that, there's also a fairly interesting forestry museum at the check-in center; as well as a gift shop. There's also a great little fly/guide shop in the park, and the owners will happily chat with you about river conditions, what the fish are biting, etc. Would strongly recommend a visit here! We make about a 3 hour drive about once a month to camp here and it never gets old.

My favorite!

This campground is one of my all time favorites!! It has everything you want in a campground and more. Hiking here is definitely the best, because the views are amazing!! The campground is always really well kept as well which I appreciate. The campsite spots themselves are pretty big in size and are separated by trees and bushes. Feels very private. They do have a quiet hour which is after 10pm. This is nice because there aren’t people partying all night long. There are tent spots and also RV. We camped, so I’m not sure if th RV spots are set up for electricity. The lake nearby is great. We brought our kayaks and had so much fun hitting the lake in the morning. It does get busy as the day goes on, especially in the summer on the weekends. Hiking is great, and there are multiple good spots nearby. Again, go early to beat the crowds! Dogs are welcome but must be on leash. Vaulted toilets on site and a place to fill up your water! Can’t wait to come back.

Great place to get away a hidden gem

Beavers bend state park is a great place to get away tucked away in the kiamichi mountains of South east Oklahoma along the mountain fork river all kinds of camp sites from full hookup to hike in also broken bow lake is right over the mountains also there are hundreds of cabins to rent in the area