Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 50 ft.
Black Mesa is located in Oklahoma
14 Reviews of Black Mesa
Nice hike

First 2.5 miles of the hike are fairly easy with the last 1.5 mile going uphill with lose rocks/boulders. Campsites are a little too close together.

Loved the area...warmed up to the camp

Like some other reviews have said, the state park isn't at Black Mesa…just near it.

The area itself has plenty of cool things - Black Mesa, wonderful changing views, dinosaur tracks, petrified forest. Some of those things are at the state park, others are "nearish".

The campground itself - well, when I showed up I wasn't very impressed. Facilities are outdated and not well cared for. I don't blame the people working there. Probably just a funding thing, especially being so far from the population and capitol of Oklahoma. It's a shame because a lot of people pass through this corner and it might be their only impression of Oklahoma.

But friendly neighbors, great evening weather and some nice star watching despite thin clouds made me warm up to the place.

Some spots are have big nice shade trees, but with all the star watching you might actually want a spot without trees.

No Verizon service but AT&T was strong enough to FaceTime with.

Next time I come back to the area - and I hope to - I will check out camping options at some of the nearby bed and breakfasts. Would love to see the state invest a little in this camp. I don't think it would take much.

Desert Fun

I loved the hiking trails and the nature walks. It is out in the middle of no where but nice.

Small but a great stop

This is a small park but has some really nice views. This is a great place to stop for a day or two as you are traveling. There is a place to see dinosaur tracks and also 3 corners (Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma). Highest point in Oklahoma, but you wouldn’t know it. When you get on top of the flats you can see for a ways! Watch for snakes on the trails but worth the early morning or late evening hike.

Nearby campground to Preserve area

This is the best and just about the only camping area if you want to visit the Black Mesa Preserve, which somewhere around 15-30 minutes away by car. There are many tent and RV sites in the creek area, and there is a bathroom here, though it feels like a high school locker room, wasn't very clean, and didn't have soap (during the coronavirus pandemic, so this was a little upsetting). There are tent sites in the lake area, which is a short drive from the main camping area.

There was a camp host there to guide us, and she was very friendly and helpful.

Thankfully, this site now doesn't turn on its street lights, so you can see the stars in all their glory! This is the darkest skies in the continental US, so I was so happy to hear they've finally shut off their street lights. View of the Milky Way is stunning from here.

The creek was dried up when we were here. But we saw a fox, a couple deer, rabbits, and many bird species.

YOU MUST go visit the Preserve. The scenery is gorgeous, and you can find dinosaur track fossils, and ancient native peoples rock carvings, if you know where to look. Also check out the tri-state marker, and continue maybe 100 yards beyond it to see an older original marker. Bring loads of sunscreen and look out for snakes.

Nothing special

In the middle of no where, so bring all you need. Boring drive in to the park. Bathrooms were not very clean

Great Park

I would give it 5 stars but the bathrooms weren’t very clean and there was no soap. But it does have great tent sites and lots of RV sites. Has a small playground with swings and a merry go round. A few good trails. We saw turkey and deer at the campground. Close to a few nice sites to visit. Black Mesa trail to the highest point in Oklahoma, the tri state marker, and picture canyon about an hour away in Colorado. And maybe the best part, no mosquitos!

Great place

Hot showers, easy access to the Mesa.

Black Mesa is the highest point in Oklahoma

Black Mesa State Park in the panhandle of Oklahoma. Farthest point you can go in the panhandle and it borders Colorado and New Mexico. It’s the only part of Oklahoma that’s on Mountain Time.
The park was great. We stayed in a tent but also had a trailer that we carried everything in so we were able to stay in a RV spot. We went in the summer and it was not crowded at all. Most others stayed a night or two, but we stayed 4 or 5 days. By the weekend more people were coming in. There was electric and water at our site but I don’t remember if they had sewage hookups as we didn’t use that. There are restrooms on site. The showers could have used a real good scrubbing but were usable. The park ranger maintained the grounds well. The views are gorgeous and if you get up during the night to see them, the stars you can see out there are amazing!! There are some trails to hike around the camp and even some fossilized wood. There is a lake right there too and at least one lookout spot over it which was perfect at sunset. We hiked Black Mesa and took a trip into New Mexico to see Mount Capulin Volcano. The park was peaceful and beautiful. Not a lot of shade trees but there were some areas in the campground that had some. A great experience. We definitely want to go back.

Small but fun