Alex , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Alex Camping Reviews
Quiet, quiet!!

6 miles South of I-40 and just at the edge of Hinton, OK is a small canyon with red and ochre colored walls. Stayed here on a week day so just a few campers here. Well spaced parking pads, 30 amp, water, cooking grill, large fire ring and picnic table for $30. Shower and restroom building adequately clean, but could use a new coat of white paint. Staff were very helpful on phone and in person. It appears to be a well run place. Worth the 6 mile drive from i-40 and a respite from wall to wall sites at some RV parks.

Beautiful lake views

Overall, I really enjoyed camping here and will definitely will be back.

Oasis!

We were shocked by how beautiful this campsite was. It is a hidden valley oasis with grassy campsites and nestled in between trees and surrounded by red rock walls! Campsite owner was super nice and helpful. 15 bucks for a tent site and you get to pick it first come first serve. Super close/easy access to the I-40!

I don’t like crowds

I agree with the others. It’s trashed and it is PACKED. The tent sites are a little too close together for my liking. Like on top of each other. I think your best bet would be to stay on the outer edge sites and not in the middle for sure. I’d also reserve online bc they are always full. I’ve heard of people being turned away that just show up to camp. It is EXPENSIVE also. You have to pay for your campsite and then also pay a fee per person. Tent camping is only $12.50 but then add on $16 per adult and $9 per child….. it’s ridiculous. There’s a lot of other places I would rather stay that are way less crowded and way cheaper. I’d suggest staying elsewhere and stopping in for the day if you want to go. ALSO you have to have a coast guard approved life jacket for everyone under the age of 12! So keep that in mind. Pets are not allowed at the falls either.

Hiking, Fishing, Fun

This is literally the first place we’ve ever been in our pop up so we don’t have anything to compare it to. We were happy with our experience at Red Rock Canyon. We loved the setting with the red canyon walls. Our two kids enjoyed the fishing in the pond (just blue gill but the fishing was fun). We did a little hiking and didn’t even scratch the surface of all the hiking available, lots of rappelling going on and it appeared the local fire department was even out practicing. In the evening they were setting up a large projector screen by the camp shop and looked to be doing a move night possibly. RV sites had a little space to them and included a fire pit, picnic table, and charcoal grill. Electric and water worked just fine. Only part that was less than great was the bathrooms, but they worked just fine.

Way colder than I expected

I camped here in November and was not at all prepared for how cold it was at night. We arrived after dark and set up and went to sleep right away. The sites are pretty spread out but there were no restrooms, only porta pottys.

Like camping at a water park, without the slides

Completely primitive. There are showers and flushing toilets available, but for the most part you're accessing portables. The previous review regarding rules, or a lack thereof, is relatively accurate. It would be a fun place to spend a couple days if you were lucky enough to pick days the park isn't very crowded. It is quite a shame the level of preservation and care allotted to the environment. People couldn't be bothered to properly dispose of their waste, female hygiene products were in the water at the falls, soiled diapers stuffed into bushes, and waste was everywhere except in the bathrooms which were surprisingly clean. This place is definitely for the "party" camper.

DO NOT GO HERE!

Overall horrible, just horrible. To begin with, we were overcharged and had to deal with a rude employee. This place has no rules, guidelines, structure or organization. It's trashy, overcrowded and very unsafe! Did I mention how horrible this place is?!? I do NOT recommend this place at all! The only good reviews on here mention how beautiful the place is, which is true, but still not worth it with the staff and attitude they have and most importantly how UNSAFE it is. Spend your money elsewhere, anywhere but here.

Cleanest spot in Oklahoma!

This is the perfect spot for beginner campers and kids. A few of my favorite things are the staff, the unground pool, clean campsites with fire rings, and nearby water sources, on site playgrounds and hiking trails.

First Time RVer

Loved it. We went during the weekday at the Walnut Grove section and there were only 4 other RVs there. The hiking trails were awesome and well maintained with multiple photo opportunities of beautiful scenery. Excellent service from the management who were friendly and took care of our one problem with low water pressure within minutes.  The grounds manicured and area was clean. Clear skies, birds chirping in the morning, and the sound of crickets at night as we sat around the campfire made our first use of an RV awesome