Sterling , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Sterling Camping Reviews
One of the best things in Oklahoma

What is there to say? Power, bathrooms, showers, and absolute beauty surrounds you. It's only a short drive from DFW. YOU WONT REGRET IT!

No words

This was awful.

Nice Quiet Spot with Mt. Scott View

We needed a quick spot for an impromptu camping trek so hike the Wichita mountains. The Wichita Reserve seemed to be closed to tent campers due to Covid, so we opted for this spot in a pinch. Setup directly next to the lake and had a great view of Mt. Scott at sunset! Only complaint was proximity to the road, as there was some passing truck noise throughout the night.

Dry Camping, Good Wildlife

Super simple to make a last minute reservation and check in quickly. No hookups at my $24 site. Pricey for dry camping IMO but felt safe, which is a priority for me. Fire rings and bathrooms/dumpsters. Saw some HUGE longhorns and bison on the open range and that was great. No service whatsoever Verizon or T-Mobile.. do not recommend if you have remote workdays!

Locals Gem of Oklahoma

Absolutely wonderful camping and hiking!! Lots of camping spots - and most were well distanced for plenty of privacy. Due to COVID all spots require pre-registration online and only self contained vehicles are permitted (all bathrooms are closed). There is no service in the park, but about 2 bars next to the Visitor’s center (which is also closed), so be sure to reserve a spot before you get close to the park. Some sites are dry and some have electric hookups. No water available due to an ongoing E. Coli issue. The camp host was really nice and stopped by both nights we were there. There were lots of hikes and we are looking forward to coming back for an extended stay. For hiking, we loved 40 foot hole (nice waterfall) and Little Baldy for sunset. Wish we had been here a couple weeks earlier because I bet the trees would have been at peak fall foliage color. We saw long horns and bison several times, but unfortunately didn’t see any prairie dogs. We heard this park is mostly used by locals (~80 miles from Oklahoma City), and not many long distance travelers hear about it. Also heard there are great mountain biking trails.

Very Nice Country Setting

Stayed a night on my way home to the Dallas area. It’s a little bit north of Wichita Falls and Hwy 287 but well worth the effort to get there.

Nice, basic RV park

We parked our RV here for 2 nights to go play at Kiowa casino 5 minutes away. Quiet, basic sites. Not very big. No fire rings but a stationary grill. No walking trails. We parked with a 30 amp. Nice people.

Spectacular place to visit

Doris campgrounds are only open for RV campers due to covid so I couldn’t stay. Mount Scott had some pretty awesome views and I hiked the trail across the road from it by the bathrooms. There is a gate and a path beside it made from vehicle wheels. You can hike pretty far. There are several spots where you cross a creek which was good for my dogs or I think they would have died by the way they were panting lol. It was 91 degrees when I hiked it. Take 2 water bottles for yourself if it’s hot out! The trail ends at a beautiful lake with the mountain in the distance. I walked down to the lake so the dogs could cool off and drink for a while. Def loved taking it all in. There’s cattle but they didn’t mind us one bit.

I did see camping in town right before the blue water towers, along the river/creek there are tent camping spots and a lot of people were fishing. It’s just over the bridge and you can miss it. It’s not on the app so thought I would mention it in my review and added some pics of that area!

Awesome area

A great view and plenty of room for outdoor games. The bathrooms are located by the entrance gate. We didn’t check them out because we were so far from them. Several sites have water and power at the pavilion, but many you will need about 60’ of water hose. All rv sites are 50 amp, so bring an adapter for your 30amp rig. No playground for kids, but load up and go down to the rec area for picnicking, swimming and playground. Bring a light bulb if you would like to light up your porch pavilion.

Little hidden gem

Robinson’s Landing is nestled on the northern side of lake Latonka. The sites have concrete pads with water and 30/50amp hook ups. The sewage dump station isn’t very far directly across from the marina. The roads are gravel leading in from marina but are generally good to travel on. Sites sit close together however if you are lucky to get a water view it’s not bad. What makes this a great place is it’s proximity to the water and marina which offers paddle board and kayak rentals. Close by attraction are the north entry of the Witchsta Mountain wildlife refuge, Meers and Historic Medicine Park.