Madison, ARKANSAS

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Madison Camping Reviews

We had a great time at this campsite.  Large camping areas with fire ring, grill and picnic table.

This campsite is right by a hiking trail so it was pretty easy to get firewood. The bathrooms/ showers area are well maintained and easy to get too. All in all a great trip and will be going again real soon.

Perfect weekend campground in the Mid-South

My family and I live about 25 min from the campground at Meeman-Shelby State Park. We have been several times and have camped with tents, pop-ups, and now with our Geo-Pro. We love this campground.

Pros: -49 available sites -all sites with water, 30A, fire ring, grill and picnic table -a variety of hiking/biking trails -update playground -lake with rental kayaks, canoes, boats (in season) -fully functioning bathhouse that is dated but clean

Cons: -no sewer at any sites -some sites on the back sides of the camp ground are subject to erosion and can be unlevel and not ideal for kids -large park so many of the activities outside the campground require driving -1 bathhouse which can be an issue on certain weekends -MOSQUITOS. If you go after the weather warms up, be forewarned that the mosquitos will eat you alive. We mostly camp at Meeman-Shelby in the fall/winter. We do not camp Spring/Summer.

There is a disc golf course that is very popular. There is a nature center that is under renovation that has snakes, spiders and owls to see. There are cabins to rent but we have never stayed in one. They look nice from the outside.

I’ve included several pictures of camp sites and the grounds. All in all, Meeman-Shelby is a great park and is perfect for families. Make sure to schedule a friday night dinner at the General Store. Steak and live music that sets the tone for a great camping weekend!

2 night stay at Village Creek

This place was ok, very small, however more than half the trails and park were closed due to flooding. Lots of construction in progress. There was no sewage hook ups (water electricity only), nearby dump station. Bathroom facilities were very clean. The two trails opened were nice. My kids brought there bikes and enjoyed the one bike trail. I was a little annoyed by the park staff. They came by at least 15 times each day, checking tags, checking fire pits, checking pets, etc. I get it, but it kind of ruins the whole experience when you are relaxing in your camper and see park personnel snooping around constantly. We saw them everywhere. We couldn’t even hike without seeing them. It just felt invasive.

Gorgeous peninsula campground

This was our 2nd time camping here. It’s the nicest campground close to home. All of the sites are large with full hookups. They really did an excellent job with this place. The bathrooms are the best of the best (private, suite style rooms). I like that it is not a large park (only 14 RV sites and 3 tent sites) l, so even when it is full, it does not feel overcrowded. I do wish they had more hiking trails, but the bear creek look is really nice. The park office is excellent with a museum area. Fire wood can be purchased at the office as well. Very popular lake for fishing!

Primitive and Peaceful

Not much activity in the winter other than a couple of hunters. The campground is off the beaten path, so lots of quiet solitude. Great sites for a primitive campground! Beautiful views of the lake. The visitors center is a short drive away. Mostly a gift shop with a few supplies if necessary. They do sell wood. Great Lake for fishing, but not much hiking in the area unfortunately. The bear creek loop across from the main campground is a nice 1/2 mile stroll worth taking!

Less than impressed.

I am yet to leave a less than good review for a state park. We decided to come for new years and take a mini vacation. Due to the fact the state park is near a water treatment facility, we only made it two nights. The smell of sewer was awful. On top of that the park was unkempt, filthy, and littered with trash. There were many people camping in cars. We never felt safe. The camp host kept money from me that we had paid for reservations, I learned later. I do not recommend. We will not return. Sorry to Tennessee state parks as I hate to give a bad review.

Old Primitive Group Camp

This is an old, boy scout style group camp. A couple of picnic tables are grouped together at the front of the camp and then there are several remnants of old tent pads throughout the area. Large trees, lots of moss and no overgrowth make this a beautiful place to explore for an hour or so. There is (1) vault style toilet in the center of camp.

Convenient place

Right off the hiway The most Level site in our 6k mile trip Nice park w clean facilities Easy access to the sites Nice park! Friendly staff

Beautiful in the Fall

Village Creek is becoming one of our favorite campground that is close to home! Great for hiking, fishing, kayaking and general outdoor activities!

Choose from 3 different campgrounds within the park: The Lower Loop is more rustic and offers water & electric hookups. There is a nice, small creek that runs along the back of the campground behind the sites opposite the main road. Plenty of flat ground for football, baseball or badminton. Very nice “suite style” bathrooms.

The Upper Loop has larger camp pads with full hookups. There is walk up water access at the end of the cove between sites 46 & 47 with a swim beach (looks like it is about to undergo some renovations) and playground. The bathroom is extremely clean.

The Horse Camp looks nice, but I don’t know any details on that.

The park office offers WiFi (very limited cell service in the park), wood for sale, ice for sale, other snacks and bike rentals.

Several tennis courts, a basketball court and a baseball backstop can also be found within the park. There is also a beautiful golf course for the golfer campers!

Perfect for the visit !!

Great place to stay if you are here for the tour , very nice folks , convenient factor through the roof , 24 hr security, shopping and eats close by ..