Buffalo National River, ARKANSAS
Most Recent Buffalo National River Camping Reviews
Buffalo National Scenic River.

Very nice campground right on the Buffalo River. We walked to the river right behind the campground. Lots of bamboo around, and very big sand burrs! Beautiful river! The first National Scenic River in the country. Great for canoeing and fishing. Saw deer in the campground several times. Raccoons stole from our cooler the first night. Hawks, herons, pilated woodpecker, kingfishers, and lots of buzzards. The campground is spread out, so you are not right on top of each other. Central water supply. Dump station.

Beautiful neat relaxing

I have been to this campground ever since I was 2 months old, so this place sure feels like a second home. I truly love this place!

Gunner’s Pool

Nice, clean and beautiful! No cell service and that was perfect!

Great for the kids

Well taken care of place with lots of activities. Close to lake Bull Shoals, Taneycomo, and Branson if that's your thing.

Camp on the river

Beautiful campground. Trails really cool around and the people who works there are awesome!

A perfect family campground

This place has been home to our annual Memorial Day weekend camp and lake trip the past 2 years. It’s been wonderful for lake access. There’s a good little park for the kids. We rent a party boat for all to enjoy.

No road noise

This is one of my all time favorite places to camp. I’ve only ever been in the fall and winter. So it’s quiet. When you first get there it’s a little unnerving because it’s so quiet. There’s no road noise at all. Just nature and the occasional chopping of firewood. It’s all very clean. They have toilets and water spigots that are open til November. And vault toilets for winter.

Rock Climbing Dream

Such an awesome place for just about everything! They have horse back riding and tons of world class rock climbing. Very safe and clean. Facilities were just fine.

Beautiful views, easy access

Steel Creek is home to the most iconiv and photographer bluff of the Buffalo National River, Roark Bluff. It is an absolutely gorgeous area and features a short trail to a vantage point for taking pictures of Roarok Bluff as well as access to other Buffalo River hiking trails.

Campground has tent sites, self-pay, and bathrooms with running water. Not as many sites have the trees for hammocking as some of the other campgrounds. Sites have picnic tables and firepits.

Easy access with paved roads up to the campground.G

It does get fairly crowded in the summer, so the best time to visit is a warmer spell during off-season.

Quiet, peaceful campsite

Kyle's Landing probably has to be my favorite campground along the Buffalo National River. Though less well-known than spots like Steel Creek, the campground has the same amenities, yet with much less of the crowd that Steel Creek draws.

It has a beautiful bluff and easy access to the river as well as access to several hiking trails including Indian Creek. It has bathrooms with running water, self-pay sites, and each site has a picnic table and firepit. Great spots for hammovking along the tree line.

The only warning is I would recommend a four wheel drive vehicle. The road to and from is I think about two miles of dirt road, but all pretty steep. TWD vehicles can make it back up, and I have done it several times. But it is a lot easier in a 4WD/AWD.

Really Nice Park

Level sites, full hookups, right on the White River and fun trout fishing!

Love this place!

The owner was extremely nice. He went over the trails in the area & marked the ones I wanted to go to on a map - which was extremely helpful since I kept losing cell service/gps while driving. The tent site where I stayed had a picnic table with a lean-to over it & electric. They provided some firewood as well. There are bathrooms & showers. Nothing fancy, but after a long day hiking the shower was a godsend. I'll definitely stay there again!

Beautiful and clean campground

Very nice campground with bathrooms and showers and electrical hookups. Nice pavilion and river access. Beautiful place to camp!

Beautiful with an amazing river and bluffs to home a stone throw away.

Great escape! It runs parallel to the Buffalo National River. Beautiful campground with well maintained grounds. It includes hiking trails, river access and walk in camp grounds only. Tents only are highly recommended. Rough road getting there and no cell service which is fine with me. The only negative is there are no showers. Only restrooms and an outside water supply. That's why I gave it a 4 star. If you are ok with not showing or doing a sponge bath then 5 stars.

Erbie is a great base for group camping! It is located right by Erbie putin

Located within a few miles of the horse camp , this site is Aimed more at group camping, there is not as much shade as I’d like to see. It is immediately next to Erbie put in, with walking distance to both the Erbie Ford and the old community of Erbie, which includes several old homes that have been preserved, the old Erbie Church and Cherry Hill cemetery.

Both cecil Cove Trail and the main Buffalo River trail are right there. With bathrooms and a nice swimming hole, this is a local favorite. The water is seasonal, so ne aware of flash flood risks.

Best time

Little did my husband and I know how tough this canoe trip was for people from the south who do not have rapids but it was the most memorable trip we have had by far. We never flipped but the water was high when we went we ended up camping right on the water on the sand bank and cooked dinner over the fire it was beautiful breathtaking and would highly recommend!

Great park overlooking the White River tailwaters.

We come here to fly fish and enjoy the scenery. We’ve spent 2 Thanksgiving holidays here and while cold and crisp at night, it’s been great. Sometimes there is fog on the river making for great pictures. The trout are plentiful and definitely test your skill. Sitting next to a campfire at night with hot coco is one of our favorite things. Bull Shoals is a quaint sleepy little town. There is a great antique/fly shop where the owner tells good stories and will even show you how to tie a fly or two.

I love this place!

Me and my best friend call this place base! Always a beautiful view no matter what time of year. The trail that leads to the falls is amazing and easy to hike. There is an additional trail passing the first waterfall that is dangerous and steep but very worth the view at the top!the hot showers are always appreciated and the peace and quiet we get to endure doesn’t compare to anything. Love this place!

Primitive Sites & Beautiful Views

Sam's Throne Recreation Area really is a hidden gem, even for the non-climbers out there. We started a five day camping trip on a Saturday and sure enough, as we had already heard about this place's weekend popularity, the sites were packed. Many groups out there taking advantage of the beautiful March weather to hit the rock and explore all the many jaw-dropping routes on and around Sam's rocky Throne. Once the weekend ended though, there were an average of 2 or 3 other occupied sites in the area throughout the week.

Me, my boyfriend and our dog must have been the only non-climbers out there, which was completely fine because there really is SO MUCH to do and see. There are a number of trails outside the main established trails (see picture of trail map). Our second day there we spent eight hours skirting along the bluffs and exploring what looked like beautiful fairy lands.

The weather was perfect (high 50's/low 60's during the days and down to low 40's at night) and the bugs were almost non-existent (but we still defended ourselves from ticks with spray and covered legs).

We spent every day we were there exploring new spots and areas because the stretch of land is endless. What's nice is you can also drive 20 or so miles out to other beautiful spots like Pedestal Rock Scenic Area and Alum Cove Natural Bridge. We hopped on the Ozark Highland Trail for about six miles starting at the nearby Fairview Campground (which I highly recommend!).

And of course, don't forget to check out THE Sam's Throne, which is still accessible for those not harnessed and roped up. There is a climbable route that is fairly easy to moderate and allows you to access the throne and all it's glory. There are even a couple of fire rings up there which would definitely make for some breathtaking tent views. I may be partial to this place now because I happened to get engaged on the Throne at sunset during our last night there, and I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful experience.

I highly recommend this area, this forest, and hell the whole state for a great camping experience!

Great Campground

Campsites were great, adequate space between sites. Love the layout of the campground, sites run parallel to the river. My only complain is bathrooms and showers are old and dirty (dirty because they’re old, still cleaned daily) and the shower was barely warm in the fall.

Nice spot but there are better options

If you are looking for secluded camping spots this is your place, the river isn't close but the sites are within walking distance. Campsites are in wooded areas and very secluded

Favorite!!!!

Great location close to the river, very primitive, campgrounds can get a little close and are not as private as some! Beautiful views especially in the morning!!

Great little spot

Great spot to camp, fills up fast on fridays!

My favorite place to camp!

We had a great time camping Memorial Day Weekend. We tent camped. The campsite was really nice and everyone was very friendly. The visitor center is awesome and the park had several activities available. We went to an owl talk and a bear talk that was very informative. We also did the lake cruise. I would highly recommend this park.  This is my favorite camping spot.

Buffalo River is a great place to Canoe

The Buffalo River is the only designated National River by the National Park Service, but it is not a National Park. If you are an expert canoer go to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. But if you have young children or are a beginner skill level canoer, the Buffalo River is a great place. I highly suggest calling an outfitter and renting canoes. It just make life that much better.

This is a great place to camp and canoe.

Last Stop before the 3 day Wilderness float on the Buffalo River

This is the last stop before you enter the wilderness area of the Buffalo River. It was amazing. The only complaint is that at times the river can run somewhat low. This is a great place to go if you are a beginner level for canoeing. Very few fast running water.

If you are very skilled or experienced canoer you might be disappointed.

Close sites, beautiful area

We rolled in at 8pm on a Friday night. The sign said "campground full" but thanks to another review we disregarded this and found an open site, as did the person who drove in behind us. The 26 sites are in two layers, one closer to the parking lot, one closer to the woods, river and bluffs. Rangers patrol regularly and are very helpful. There is a ranger station beyond the horse campground which is a pleasant walk or a quick drive. We stopped there to get our National Park stamp! Easy access to a trail directly from the lot, or walk beyond the horse camp to the Old River trail head. Centerpoint Trail is a 15 minute drive away and offers access to the Big Bluff/Goat Trail. Caution drivers: the road in to the campground is windy and steep. A sign warns against bringing RVs. However there were an enormous bus and tons of horse trailers and campers at the bottom of the hill - braver people than I:) Bathrooms are clean, dimly lit at night presumably to keep bugs out. Each site has a lantern pole, fire ring and picnic table. Lost Valley Trail and shelter are a 10-15 minute drive away. Since it was raining we cooked our dinner in the shelter. Overall a beautiful place with great access to multiple trails as well as river access. Sites are a little close, but if you're fine with having neighbors 20 or so feet away, we highly recommend:)

Incredible hikes/waterfalls/caves/wildlife

Incredible campground and beautiful park! We saw a ton of Elk and the trails were incredible! Amazing waterfalls!

Beautiful and Clean

This campground is in a beautiful area right on the White River. There is a dock and convenient store within the grounds and chances to see plenty of wildlife. There are some trails provided. Only thing is the waters temperature will cause areas near the water to get cold.