Fort Smith, ARKANSAS

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Fort Smith Camping Reviews
Breathtaking

I grew up in Arkansas but had never been here until this past winter. It's an absolutely beautiful place.

I can't wait to return here for summer activities. Awesome lodge with great food, the best view I have seen in ages. The park staff was also great and very helpful. One day we were there the visibility was nil, turns out we were in low clouds, not fog. Pretty cool.

Beautiful clean campground

The campground was very beautiful, clean, and for all types of campers. It had nice bathrooms, clean and warm. The area was well taken care of. It was a little pricey, but that's what you're getting at a resort. Overall worth checking out if you're in the area.

Beautiful park with lots to do

Lake Ft. Smith State Park is a beautiful park in the Boston Mountains. We drove over from Memphis to meet my brother’s family (who lives in Tulsa). We stayed in campsite 9 which was a pull through site and had stunning views of the lake. My brother stayed in site 8. Sites 1-20 have full hook-ups with sewer. The bathhouse was clean and fully functioning.

Pros: Many activities at the Visitor Center for children. Ozark Highland Trail is directly behind the campsites on the lake side. Recreational area with a playground that is updated. Sites have gravel which limits how much dirt/mud you have to deal with.

Cons: Many of the campsites are on a grade. They all have multiple levels with stairs and have no railings. We had 5 children <6 years of age and the sites were somewhat perilous. If you are a parent with small kids, sites 17-20 and sites 2-3 are better. The other sites are excellent, but not necessarily best for small kids. Last, the playground requires that you drive to it which is inconvenient.

Overall: Great family park with updated amenities. We’d like to give it a try in the spring/summer when the pool and splash pad are open! If you’ve got small kids, Petit Jean State Park would be my suggestion in this area of Arkansas.

Great camping.

It’s really fun with a lot of hiking trails and caves not a lot of overlanding trails that I’ve found yet.

Beautiful Getaway

Camp spots are nicely spaced out. Water available. No electric. Had cell service for the most part. Bathrooms well kept. Pretty secluded area. Note: there are snakes and ticks. A lot of ticks. Take a flashlight with you in the dark and be cautious. I encountered a copperhead on my night time bathroom run. Mulberry is one of my favorite rivers I have kayaked and this campsite offers a great take out spot. Decently priced and easy to get to.

Great view!

Fun hiking, relaxing, camping with a great view!

Does not sho well in the winter

Kinda dumpy, really. Nice people, though.

Great place to camp!

Beautiful camping experience! There were a very limited number of RV sites, but they were all very private feeling and nicely maintained. The bathrooms and showers were immaculate! Hiking was right next to the campground, so this made for a very fun, relaxing weekend! We are definitely going back soon!

Basic campground close to downtown Fayetteville

PROS:

*CLOSE TO DOWNTOWN: you can’t camp in your RV any closer to downtown Fayetteville than at Southgate. There are no other campgrounds as close to the main square and all the action of restaurants, breweries etc (there is just one other campground in the town but it is a membership campground for people who frequent the football games)

*FRIENDLY OWNER: I believe his name is Jim. He’s a nice guy and cleans the bathrooms daily. It was cold while we were there and he kept a space heater on in the bathroom, even when there were just a few of us in the campground.

*CLOSE TO BIKE TRAIL: the Razorback trail and network of bike trails (which can take you all the way to Bentonville) are just a few blocks down the road from Southgate. This is a great way to get downtown without driving and trying to find parking.

*FLAT SITES: sites are pretty level with a small concrete pad for wheels.

CONS:

*NOISE: you are right next to a busy road, but you can’t really hear it when inside your camper. You’re also next to a Tyson Factory which burps and belches 24/7.

*BATHROOMS: the bathrooms and showers are old, but kept clean.

Overall, we had a nice stay at Southgate. It was a great campground for exploring the food, drink, and shops of Fayetteville. Though it wasn’t the most scenic campground, it was very convenient.

Fayetteville Recommendations: Fork and Crust Pie Shop, Fayetteville Farmers market on the square on Saturday mornings, crisis brewery, crystal bridges art museum in Bentonville, basecamp coffee, ozark foods coop for grocery, nightbird books.

Dan's Riverview RV Park

Small, but all brand new.  Restrooms and showers are clean and beautiful. Full Hook Up's, firepits, and lights are great.  Dan, the owner is the best.  We arrived late and in the dark, rainy ARK weather Dan provided lights so that we could hook up.  Customer service is the best.  We will definitely stay here again.