Fort Smith, ARKANSAS

Most Recent Fort Smith Camping Reviews
Great place to camp!

Beautiful camping experience! There were a very limited number of RV sites, but they were all very private feeling and nicely maintained. The bathrooms and showers were immaculate! Hiking was right next to the campground, so this made for a very fun, relaxing weekend! We are definitely going back soon!

Basic campground close to downtown Fayetteville

PROS:

*CLOSE TO DOWNTOWN: you can’t camp in your RV any closer to downtown Fayetteville than at Southgate. There are no other campgrounds as close to the main square and all the action of restaurants, breweries etc (there is just one other campground in the town but it is a membership campground for people who frequent the football games)

*FRIENDLY OWNER: I believe his name is Jim. He’s a nice guy and cleans the bathrooms daily. It was cold while we were there and he kept a space heater on in the bathroom, even when there were just a few of us in the campground.

*CLOSE TO BIKE TRAIL: the Razorback trail and network of bike trails (which can take you all the way to Bentonville) are just a few blocks down the road from Southgate. This is a great way to get downtown without driving and trying to find parking.

*FLAT SITES: sites are pretty level with a small concrete pad for wheels.

CONS:

*NOISE: you are right next to a busy road, but you can’t really hear it when inside your camper. You’re also next to a Tyson Factory which burps and belches 24/7.

*BATHROOMS: the bathrooms and showers are old, but kept clean.

Overall, we had a nice stay at Southgate. It was a great campground for exploring the food, drink, and shops of Fayetteville. Though it wasn’t the most scenic campground, it was very convenient.

Fayetteville Recommendations: Fork and Crust Pie Shop, Fayetteville Farmers market on the square on Saturday mornings, crisis brewery, crystal bridges art museum in Bentonville, basecamp coffee, ozark foods coop for grocery, nightbird books.

Dan's Riverview RV Park

Small, but all brand new.  Restrooms and showers are clean and beautiful. Full Hook Up's, firepits, and lights are great.  Dan, the owner is the best.  We arrived late and in the dark, rainy ARK weather Dan provided lights so that we could hook up.  Customer service is the best.  We will definitely stay here again.

It’s a beautiful park!

We stayed in mid October and the leaves hadn’t started really changing yet.

Perfect, clean facilities and a huge campsite. The road in was a nice drive, easy for motorcycles.

We bought wood from the camp, although the store closes at 5pm and the wood was wet, which made it hard for a good fire.

You are dipped down into a valley so no cellphone service, but if you are a connection junky there is WiFi you can purchase. I didn’t purchase a lease, so I’m not sure how fast it is.

The park is quite a ways away from civilization which is nice unless you are planning on eating outside of the park, Fayetteville is probably the closest decent bar and grill, about 30min away.

All in all, a great experience and would love to make my way back someday.

Beautiful views and great family fun!

Beautiful views and great family fun! One of the best camping trips that our family has ever taken. Lots of things to do, hiking and camping was amazing. We will definately be returning and highly recommend to all.

Good for Families

The bathrooms are clean and there’s a nice pool. We’ve never actually used the pool due to crowds because it truly is the den of the devil as you’ll be able to tell from the heat.

Nice quiet campground close to 1-40

Peaceful, quiet National Forest Service campground.

Ranger Review of Banner & Oaks Bull Tan Hat at Devil's Den State Park

Amazing State Park with something for everyone

I have been to Devil's Den State Park twice now and this is my favorite state park in Arkansas. Devil's Den State park has something for every camper, no matter how you prefer to camp. Tent camping, hike in camping, RVs, cabins, they have it all. Want to bring your horse, you can do that as well. Devil's Den has some great hiking and mountain biking trails, from short to long. If you only do one trail be sure that is the Devil's Den Trail, you won't be disappointed on this 1.5 mile trail. If you want a longer trail there is the 15 mile Butterfield Hiking Trail. Devil's Den campground includes 135 campsites ranging from basic tent sites to full hookups for the RV crowed and horse sites. Campground are all paved with paved parking pads. Individual sites have tent pads, picnic tables, fire rings and a first for me, hooks for hanging your lantern. Flush toilets and showers are included. If you like to swim they even have a pool. Park has a store to provide your food needs. Sites all appeared to be well spaced. If you want complete privacy the word is get one of the walk in sites, you will have a bit of a walk but the reward is complete solitude. Lee Creek runs through the park and a 8-acre lake which allows fishing and boating with canoes and pedal boats. You need to reserve your site before hand or at the visitor center. One thing I do like is if you arrive to late to register at the visitor center, then you can just grab an empty site for the night, you just have to register the next day by 10am.

Ranger Review of Banner& Oaks Bull Tan Hat

Got the Bull Tan hat and have been wearing it for about a month now. Hat fits great, looks great. This is a very well made hat with quality materials and made in the U.S.A. It has held up amazing well in all weather conditions, sun, heat, rain and even snow and continues to hold its shape. I have a lot of hats and this one is one of my favorites.

Don't stay in the Hike-in sites (keep it secret, keep it safe)

I try to tent camp at Devils Den 2-3 times a years. Any season. The hike-in sites are heaven. Yes, you do have to hike in, through the water, up and up for a quarter mile but it is SOOOO WORTH IT!! Seclusion. You can't reach out and touch your neighbor. You don't have to worry about anyone seeing you get dressed. You can pick up radio stations without disturbing anyone(at a reasonable volume). During the summer you can't even see another tent through the trees. My partner and I have hiked Butterfield Trail backwards and forwards(both directions) and are so happy to come back"home" to our site where we can relax with a fire and the raccoons. We have met so many others who hike in for privacy and make friends around a fire. Even in the summer the nights get chilly so you have to snuggle. And if you need some city life, Fayetteville is less than an hour away.

Laid-back getaway to set your own speed

This was my first visit to Mulberry River Outdoor Adventures, and it won't be my last. The property is more set-up for RV and ATV use but the tent site/s are surprisingly secluded. I need to talk about the property owner. He is incredibly friendly and accommodating. He greeted us with his precious dogs and hung out with us until we were settled in, telling us all about the property, trails, and nearby waterfalls. If you want a full and fast weekend, he can point you in the right directions, even take you there on his buggy. Or if you are in need of a quiet, relaxing escape by the water he will let you be. The RV'ers were friendly when we crossed paths.  This seems like the Cheer's of campsite. Everyone know everyone and strangers are welcome.  Very laid back.  My partner and I were the only tent campers that weekend (for a slow, quiet escape) so we chose the"island" tent site, which is maybe 100' from the water.  Wish I had brought hammocks to utilize the swing contraption on the shore (see pictures).

Bonuses:

1. If the Labradoodle likes you she will swim with you.

2. I am walking mosquito bait and was only bitten twice!

3. The nicest "outhouse" I've ever encountered. Cedar paneling, full shower, and hot water!!

Nice open grassy area 10 miles out of Fayetteville.

Long gravel drive (important for motorcyclists). Tent and RV sites. Beer garden. Bands. Food trucks. Open the weekend of Bikes Blues and BBQ only.

Great family owners, best showers ever for a camplground!

Vvery nice campground, with friendly helpful staff. Fabulous showers.

Beautiful Lake View Campsites

Have stayed here multiple times in the past and it’s exactly as stated - a lake campsite. The view is beautiful over one of the prettiest lakes in the region. Like a previous reviewer said it is warm in the spring and summer months but not sure you can ding the campsite and give it less stars because it was warm. Great place to camp!

Campground closure

Cedar Lake is going to be closed for few weeks during Fall of 2019 for maintenance and repairs. I would be sure and call office before traveling there in hopes of camping!

This camp ground clean and very near the Arkansas River

We love camping here we are close to biking and fishing

Labor Day Weekend

Labor Day weekend we camped at Greenleaf State Park in the Gobbler Ridge Campground site number #18. This area was nice and spacious. We didn’t feel like we were squashed into our neighbors. It was however “Labor Day” weekend which normally means bad weather and let me tell you we weren’t surprised Saturday night when the sky just opened up and started to pour. The site we had was partially shaded but kind of a small valley so after the rain it was pretty soggy. There are other campgrounds close by and stuff to do. The park is in the process of constructing a splash pad next to the miniature golf course. On Saturday nights they do a wagon ride with a guide that talks about the area. Bummer for us cause one family 23 people took up the whole ride. Holiday weekend…..maybe should have two wagons? All in all I think we had a good time and would definitely recommend this park.

best camping in arkansas

I love this campground!! It has everything. There is great campsites, as well as a little corner store, water front, restaurant, hook-ups, really everything you need. The employees are ALWAYS friendly and helpful, campsites are well put together, a bathroom and showers are on site. This is one of the best campgrounds in Arkansas. Dog friendly

Great campground!

Beautiful spacious and clean sites. Great location in the park and near water and many hiking trails. Will stay again!

We will be back!

We had a great time here, just a day trip. Water was clean & refreshing. Hearing the water flow was relaxing. We’re looking forward to going back & doing a weekend camp!

Hidden Gem

The mulberry river is a ridden gem the runs through the Ozarks. It’s just a quiet beautiful place to camp, ride ATVs, float the river or just hangout with friends and families. This campground is great! It reminds of a more exclusive campground with limited spaces so it’s just a treat to camp somewhere that’s not crowded.

Just living is not enough...

Stuff your eyes with wonder while taking all the roads less traveled. When confronted with a fork in the road be prepared to take both and probably chase a waterfall or two.
Wash your spirit clean in the Mulberry River with good friends and beautiful scenery!

Most magical place to be

We started coming out every weekend since May. Our children love it!! Our friends come down for the afternoon to swim and trail ride. It’s the most magical place to spend with your family and friends. The Floyd family is probably the nicest family you ever meet. Kayaking, tubing, trail rides are just a few things you can do there. One trip there and you will be hooked!Spend the night in a tent under the stars or bring an RV and chill around the camp fire. If you forget something, someone most likely will have it because everyone is family there.

Most magical place to be

Heaven on earth!

Our family has always been one that likes to be outside and Mulberry is such a beautiful hidden gem! This weekend we went chasing waterfalls and hiked through caves it was BEAUTIFUL!!

Wonderful weekend outing

Right off I40, on the Mulberry River, very friendly staff, you can Tube, float, kuyak, or just swim and relax. They have access to the national forest, and atv there also.

Walkingsticks Infestation

Made plans with my son and his gf for a weekend of camping at White Rock (this was last year - Sept. 20, 2018), and booked a campsite through Recreation.gov and paid the fees.  Upon arrival we checked in through the office and were directed to our site.  It took only a minute to see there was a problem.  As we unloaded the truck, hundreds of walkingsticks started climbing on our stuff.  They were all over the ground and even falling from the trees!!  Within minutes there must have been thousands!!  We were immediately loading the stuff back to the truck and headed back to the office.  The park caretaker acted like it was no big deal, even stated, "this was the second year of the infestation" (her words).  Infestation??  Why wasn't this mentioned on Recreation.gov??  There was no way you could spend a relaxing weekend camping if you have to fight these insects off everything you own!!  Upon returning home I contacted Recreation.gov and applied for a refund since we were unable to camp there…I was denied and no reason was given!!  It would be a good idea to call ahead and check on any campground that is operated by Recreation.gov, because obviously they don't care about the site, just your money!!

Incredible views

We went up for the day to hike.   Amazing trip wouldn’t miss it.   Stop by the visitor center.

Beautiful Views!

So this was our first trip to Devil’s Den and our first trip with our new pop up. The forecast didn’t look promising but we went anyway. Didn’t know about the lack of cell service, but being off the grid it was great for the most part! There were cell spots within a few minutes drive so could check the weather forecast.

We didn’t know much about our exact campsite until we got there. It was right next to the baseball field and it was very spread out. We scoped our better spots for next time. We were able to go on a short hike in between the rain and the trail was beautiful.

My only complaint was restrooms in comparison to other Arkansas state parks. The bar is set high and these didn’t feel the cleanest. A young man was there each morning “cleaning” but I can’t say it was very clean. As stated before, I feel Arkansas state parks have the best facilities that we’ve camped, so over all it was nice, but not the best.

We plan on checking out Devil’s Den again and hope for better weather!

Great campsite to stay while floating the river

This campground is very close to the river so after we finished kayaking, we were able to walk straight back to our campsite. The only downside about this campsite is that it can get kind of noisy when there is a bunch of people camping. However, our campsite was clean, spacious, and the restrooms/showers were very close.

Cowlington Point

Nice campground. Water/electric, no sewer hookups at camp sites. Restroom facilities are old but usually clean. Campground located on the Kerr Navigation Channel. Very clean and quiet campground!